Is there a Bike Radar cycle club??? Couldn't find one

http://app.strava.com/clubs/bike-radar-road-forum
  • JGSI wrote:
    Is there a Bike Radar cycle club??? Couldn't find one

http://app.strava.com/clubs/bike-radar-road-forum

Thanks!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    There's a lot of fast riders round here in Cambridgeshire, not that I'm saying you're not a fast rider ;) Edmund Bradbury has loads of KOM's round Cambridge, he's a machine, rode the 11.2mile busway (towards cambridge) at average 28mph or something silly!!!!

Did you see him do it? How do you know he was riding it solo?
    More problems but still living....
  • Can Strava not come up with a way of only giving KOM’s on routes where you actually go up a decent gradient and anything under say 150ft is classed as a Sprint Stage or TT? Or do they do this already and I just haven’t noticed? I’ve seen KOM’s with a elevation of 8ft!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Can Strava not come up with a way of only giving KOM’s on routes where you actually go up a decent gradient and anything under say 150ft is classed as a Sprint Stage or TT? Or do they do this already and I just haven’t noticed? I’ve seen KOM’s with a elevation of 8ft!

It doesn't create segments itself unless there is significant climbing - Strava is not creating the segments with an 8ft elevation change, someone who cares about it is. If you don't care - click "HIDE"
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    It doesn't create segments itself unless there is significant climbing - Strava is not creating the segments with an 8ft elevation change, someone who cares about it is. If you don't care - click "HIDE"

I’m well aware that we make the segments – I’ve made several. I’m just talking about the KOM ‘tag’. If you make a segments and it’s under X amount of feet it shouldn’t be classed as a KOM it should have another name e.g. Sprint Stage or TT.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    jibberjim wrote:

I’m well aware that we make the segments – I’ve made several. I’m just talking about the KOM ‘tag’. If you make a segments and it’s under X amount of feet it shouldn’t be classed as a KOM it should have another name e.g. Sprint Stage or TT.

Sounds sensible

I think you should email them with a suggestion :D

Does make sense though, anything under a KM is a sprint, anything with less than x elevation gain is a TT, anything over x elevation loss is a descent.

I don't like the descent ones though.... bit dangerous on open roads if you ask me.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    There's a lot of fast riders round here in Cambridgeshire, not that I'm saying you're not a fast rider ;) Edmund Bradbury has loads of KOM's round Cambridge, he's a machine, rode the 11.2mile busway (towards cambridge) at average 28mph or something silly!!!!

Nope, didn't see him do it, but I know he's a TT beast so I believe him; he rode a TT the other week: 10miles in 20mins 18seconds; for a 22year old!!!!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    JGSI wrote:
    Opinion please..
    is this segment/ride worth flagging... a lot of discrepancy especially on the segment.' like accelerating to over 40mph on incline, and rider has only ever posted this single ride.
    I don't particularly want this kom, but seems a tad unfair to other riders who might want a proper go at it.
    it is a safe segment. although if you take a flyer thru the lights then obviously you have an advantage over standing start.

I'm not seeing a link ..
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • madden2011
    madden2011 Posts: 142
    Found this segment not for from me. This guy must have had jet engines attached to him

http://app.strava.com/segments/1368815
  • dw300
    madden2011 wrote:
    Found this segment not for from me. This guy must have had jet engines attached to him

http://app.strava.com/segments/1368815

I take it it's been flagged as I can't see times, but is that the one the guy went up at about 102mph? Lol!

On one of my rides I took an impromptu trip to the Northern Sahara, taking my avg speed for the ride to over 900mph.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Does anyone know if you flag a segment as hazardous will it ever get reinstated? And if so what is there to stop people flagging segments that are just pointless?
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    There is a segment between the lights at the Hacienda to the lights just past Harry Hall Cycles that I ride every day. This morning I had a green light as I approached the Hacienda, and pushed as hard as I could to beat my personal best of 27s.

It's not actually picked up the segment on my ride, and looking back over my history it seems it's a bit hit and miss. I suspect it's such a short segment that any GPS errors can't be averaged out? It's my personal Everest at the moment, I know I will never beat the KoM for that stretch, but I reckon if I can shave a couple of seconds off my best time I will be in the top 20. I created a personal segment for it, and it shows my time as 21s which would put me into the top 10 even (but I am not sure my personal segment is exactly the same as the public one)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    amaferanga wrote:

He will have been. He's a good rider, who puts out a big whack of power for someone fairly lightweight.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dw300
    59 members in the Bike Radar club now!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Make that 60 :D

My recent hoorah and then dissappointment was getting KOM on a segment that had stood for a year... then some bloke came and beat it 4 hours later - bolleaux was the words I used

http://app.strava.com/segments/1333774
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Make that 60 :D

My recent hoorah and then dissappointment was getting KOM on a segment that had stood for a year... then some bloke came and beat it 4 hours later - bolleaux was the words I used

http://app.strava.com/segments/1333774

Snap... I was chuffed to get a KOM (by about 30seconds), then 2 hours later I got beat by two guys riding together (which makes me feel a bit better as I was riding solo)....

http://app.strava.com/segments/1987151
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Joined the bike radar club. but using the android app till I get a Garmin. I don't want to sellotape my phone to my stem though, so probably wont bother till then.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    What is it with Strava and people.

This person named "Darrell Lee" moaned at someone for KOM a segment which he rekoned was in a car, I argued that the guy was not in a car (he later admitted he was), but because of the low average speed I thought it can't have been a car.

Anyway I notice a few segments he's got KOM on, and they're on one of my commuter back from someones house I visit regulary, so I thought, might as well have a go at them as they'd be good short intervals, and I KOM them so he called me a "sad stalker".

What is it with verbal warfare on this site, I'm getting tempted to delete my Strava account.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    willhub wrote:

This person named "Darrell Lee" moaned at someone for KOM a segment which he rekoned was in a car, I argued that the guy was not in a car (he later admitted he was), but because of the low average speed I thought it can't have been a car.

Anyway I notice a few segments he's got KOM on, and they're on one of my commuter back from someones house I visit regulary, so I thought, might as well have a go at them as they'd be good short intervals, and I KOM them so he called me a "sad stalker".

What is it with verbal warfare on this site, I'm getting tempted to delete my Strava account.

Just ignore him?

.. or go and smash some more of his segments.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As Friday looking good for 4/5 hour road miles, better aim to post a KOM I s'pose, as I aint done 1 in ages...do an early doors one with fresh legs is a plan.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    willhub wrote:

He does seem overly precious over his KOM's which are in essence all commuter short sprints or dashes.

Ignore the tw@t
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    willhub wrote:

Just ignore him?

.. or go and smash some more of his segments.

I guess some people take it very personal, Pick a few more segment that he thinks he owns is what I'd suggest!

If you win a segment you have to be prepared to loose it. That's the encouragement to try and push harder.. it's loosing that makes you stronger not winning! Although, obviously Strava is not a race... it's obviously 'war' in some (sad) people's eyes!
    Simon
  • dw300
    willhub wrote:

1. Change your name on Strava to 'Hey (insert his username here), u mad?!'
    2. Bust all his KOMs.
    3. Feel smug.
    4. Post his comments in this thread to give us some lulz.
    5. Become BR forum legend.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • willhub
    He's saying stuff like

"

John
    They are all a pleasant surprise,I never expect to leed after only the first attempt..
    Hope to catch up with you soon."

"Lets go John we need to be putting in the joint miles in preparation for the manchester 100, its only a month away now........"

"Yes John about 9-10mph westerly direction,I thought i could do better on morley green but was poor and only firing on 3 cylinders,their will come another time."

So he's driving a dodgy car or motorbike where 3 cylinders are functioning?
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    Got a personal best on this segment this morning: http://app.strava.com/segments/1748731, made it to 18th place out of 119 which I am pretty pleased with. I know it's a really short segment, 230m but it's been my challenge to get a better time every day, and hitting a time of 23s which is only 8s off the KoM (and bear in mind that I am riding a Brompton) really feels like something of an achievement. I'm setting myself a target of 21s, which currently would take me up to an equal 8th position.
  • dw300
    aclivity wrote:
    Got a personal best on this segment this morning: http://app.strava.com/segments/1748731, made it to 18th place out of 119 which I am pretty pleased with. I know it's a really short segment, 230m but it's been my challenge to get a better time every day, and hitting a time of 23s which is only 8s off the KoM (and bear in mind that I am riding a Brompton) really feels like something of an achievement. I'm setting myself a target of 21s, which currently would take me up to an equal 8th position.

Guy with the KOM was on a vespa. Honestly I don't get why people on motorised vehicles leave their HR monitors on .. dipsh*ts ..
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • willhub
    How do you know it was a Vespa? 16mph avg for a scooter seems slow?
  • dw300
    willhub wrote:
    How do you know it was a Vespa? 16mph avg for a scooter seems slow?

Eh, the link leads to a segment where KOM is 34.2mph at 80bpm. I don't know that it was a Vespa.
    Bike Radar Strava Club