It's Official Schleck Brothers Suck

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Remarkable wrote:
    I realize I hurt a lot of Schleck fans. I decided to provide a softer version of my opinion. Check it out!

http://1kmtogo.blogspot.com/2012/05/are ... ur_21.html

Go for stage wins. Seriously? They do that anyway. Frank won a stage in 2009. Andy won 2 stages in 2010. Andy won another stage in 2011. :roll:

Also, is Levi a contender? At 38?

OK, the tour looks fairly open without Contador, but I'm fairly confident that a rider who has, at the age of 38, never finished higher than 3rd, isn't going to win.

Besides, it's a while before the tour, if a rider is hitting the razor edge that is top form right now, then generally, the'yre going to be f***ed by the tour. Even Contador couldn't do the giro/tour double.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    ddraver wrote:
    33_desmond-church-dig-yourself-a-hole-art.jpg

Good god man at least have the courage to stick with your opinion.... :D if Jens and Canc are such heroes, why would they be riding for riders that "suck"?

Oh my opinion hasn't changed...Schleck brothers suck. I just tried to be nice about it. Jens and Cancellara will ride for sucky riders if that's what they are told to do. It's a job and they listen and obey orders. They are to classy to opt out of riding for Schlecks unlike Frank just abandoning his team in the Giro.
  • cycling5280
    Jez mon wrote:
    Remarkable wrote:
    I realize I hurt a lot of Schleck fans. I decided to provide a softer version of my opinion. Check it out!

http://1kmtogo.blogspot.com/2012/05/are ... ur_21.html

Go for stage wins. Seriously? They do that anyway. Frank won a stage in 2009. Andy won 2 stages in 2010. Andy won another stage in 2011. :roll:

Also, is Levi a contender? At 38?

OK, the tour looks fairly open without Contador, but I'm fairly confident that a rider who has, at the age of 38, never finished higher than 3rd, isn't going to win.

Besides, it's a while before the tour, if a rider is hitting the razor edge that is top form right now, then generally, the'yre going to be f***ed by the tour. Even Contador couldn't do the giro/tour double.

You have a good point about Levi's age. He is old. I think he has a good shot at the podium. My guess is a battle between Cadel and Wiggins.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I was just throwing that out there. Johan doesn't go to the Tour not to win the GC and this year is no different. If Andy and Frank don't come with amazing form then I would give guys like Popo, Horner, Fuglsang, Voigt, Zubeldia and Gerdemann the green light to attack for stage wins.

Andy Schleck has finished on the podium of the Tour three years in a row. Yet you think it is a good idea just to abandon him, make a 40 year old rouleur team leader and chase stages the off chance of a win. And then you feel that you're ill thought-out nonsense is worthy of a blog.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cycling5280
    So you think the Schlecks should be more like Pozzato?

Yes.

Really? So it's OK for Pozzato to abandon Paris Rouabix because his knee and calf are a bit sore, but it's not OK for Frank Schleck to do the same at the Giro? Maybe Pozzato isn't quite the fierce competitor you think he is.

Pozatto raced Flanders with a broken clavicle because he knew he had great form. He had surgery! Frank had good enough form to be with the top climbers in the Giro but then suddenly drops out of the race and abandons his team. I'd be slightly annoyed if I was a domestique for him.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187

Yes.

Really? So it's OK for Pozzato to abandon Paris Rouabix because his knee and calf are a bit sore, but it's not OK for Frank Schleck to do the same at the Giro? Maybe Pozzato isn't quite the fierce competitor you think he is.

Pozatto raced Flanders with a broken clavicle because he knew he had great form. He had surgery! Frank had good enough form to be with the top climbers in the Giro but then suddenly drops out of the race and abandons his team. I'd be slightly annoyed if I was a domestique for him.

So he should have surgery on his dislocated shoulder during the rest day of a grand tour? :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Oh my opinion hasn't changed...Schleck brothers suck. I just tried to be nice about it. Jens and Cancellara will ride for sucky riders if that's what they are told to do. It's a job and they listen and obey orders. They are to classy to opt out of riding for Schlecks unlike Frank just abandoning his team in the Giro.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, best one yet!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cycling5280
    RichN95 wrote:

I was just throwing that out there. Johan doesn't go to the Tour not to win the GC and this year is no different. If Andy and Frank don't come with amazing form then I would give guys like Popo, Horner, Fuglsang, Voigt, Zubeldia and Gerdemann the green light to attack for stage wins.

Andy Schleck has finished on the podium of the Tour three years in a row. Yet you think it is a good idea just to abandon him, make a 40 year old rouleur team leader and chase stages the off chance of a win. And then you feel that you're ill thought-out nonsense is worthy of a blog.

If it's just as easy for Frank to abandon his team in the Giro then I say yes to giving others a shot at a stage. Come on man...no one is counting podium finishes any more for Andy or Frank. If they had an orange jersey for second place maybe but they don't. It's yellow or nothing for them. It doesn't matter what I say in my blog or here...Schlecks cannot time trial, there is a disconnect already between them and management and they cannot time trial. This is why they will not win and possibly not even podium. They are great climbers but they're not putting minutes into guys like Wiggins, Cadel, and Gesink who by the way had a good TIME TRIAL in California.
  • Jez mon

Yes.

But Pozatto looked in with a shot, on a one day race.

Ultimately, Frank was in OK form, but there would be no point in him riding himself into the ground in the giro for a top ten place, only for him not to be able ride well in the tour. By the sounds of it, he'd been doing well to ride anyway.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Yes.

Pozzato broke his collarbone on stage 5 of the Tour of Qatar on February 9th and yet you think it was still broken on the 1st April during the Tour of Flanders? Are you sure about that?

Anyway, how about you explain why it was then OK for him to abandon Paris Roubaix a week later, if his form was so fantastic.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    RichN95 wrote:

If it's just as easy for Frank to abandon his team in the Giro then I say yes to giving others a shot at a stage. Come on man...no one is counting podium finishes any more for Andy or Frank. If they had an orange jersey for second place maybe but they don't. It's yellow or nothing for them. It doesn't matter what I say in my blog or here...Schlecks cannot time trial, there is a disconnect already between them and management and they cannot time trial. This is why they will not win and possibly not even podium. They are great climbers but they're not putting minutes into guys like Wiggins, Cadel, and Gesink who by the way had a good TIME TRIAL in California.

How many white jerseys, stage wins or podium finishes in the tour does Gesink have? The tour of california is very different than the tour de france.
  • Jez mon
    Remarkable wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

How many white jerseys, stage wins or podium finishes in the tour does Gesink have? The tour of california is very different than the tour de france.

If only there was some kind of graph to show this :D
  • cycling5280
    Jez mon wrote:

Yes.

But Pozatto looked in with a shot, on a one day race.

Ultimately, Frank was in OK form, but there would be no point in him riding himself into the ground in the giro for a top ten place, only for him not to be able ride well in the tour. By the sounds of it, he'd been doing well to ride anyway.

I guess that's the big debate. Who calls the shots? If Johan who I view as the boss says do a good ride and perform now in the Giro...is it wrong for Frank to say something like, "No, I'm done. I want to get ready for the Tour."? Johan has been quoted saying no one is guaranteed a Tour spot. A brave decision on Frank's part but doubtful Johan would go as far as leaving him off the Tour roster.
  • RichN95.
    They are great climbers but they're not putting minutes into guys like Wiggins, Cadel, and Gesink who by the way had a good TIME TRIAL in California.

Why not? They've done it before. They can do it again.

2009. Stage 17

1. SCHLECK Fränk SAX 4h53'54"
    2. CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto AST
    3. SCHLECK Andy SAX 35
    4. NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 02'18"
    5. ARMSTRONG Lance AST 02'18"
    6. KLÖDEN Andreas AST 02'27"
    7. WIGGINS Bradley GRM 03'07"

2010 Stage 17

1. SCHLECK Andy SAX 5h03'29"
    2. RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin KAT 01'18"
    3. HESJEDAL Ryder GRM 01'27"
    4. SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 01'32"

2011 Stage 18

1. SCHLECK Andy LEO 6h07'56" 80
    2. SCHLECK Fränk LEO 02'07" 50
    3. EVANS Cadel BMC 02'15" 35
    4. BASSO Ivan LIQ 02'18" 25

But hey. Let's stick with your brilliant idea and not try to win the Tour with the best climber and focus on getting Gerdemann in a break.
  • cycling5280
    Remarkable wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I agree the Tour is 10x harder than California but a time trial is a time trial. It's no secret Schlecks are bad at TTs. Guys like Gesink, Cadel and Wiggins could potentially put minutes into Andy and Frank over the total 100km of TT.
  • cycling5280
    RichN95 wrote:
    They are great climbers but they're not putting minutes into guys like Wiggins, Cadel, and Gesink who by the way had a good TIME TRIAL in California.

Why not? They've done it before. They can do it again.

2009. Stage 17

1. SCHLECK Fränk SAX 4h53'54"
    2. CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto AST
    3. SCHLECK Andy SAX 35
    4. NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 02'18"
    5. ARMSTRONG Lance AST 02'18"
    6. KLÖDEN Andreas AST 02'27"
    7. WIGGINS Bradley GRM 03'07"

2010 Stage 17

1. SCHLECK Andy SAX 5h03'29"
    2. RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin KAT 01'18"
    3. HESJEDAL Ryder GRM 01'27"
    4. SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 01'32"

2011 Stage 18

1. SCHLECK Andy LEO 6h07'56" 80
    2. SCHLECK Fränk LEO 02'07" 50
    3. EVANS Cadel BMC 02'15" 35
    4. BASSO Ivan LIQ 02'18" 25

But hey. Let's stick with your brilliant idea and not try to win the Tour with the best climber and focus on getting Gerdemann in a break.

They've done what before? Win? Do it again? 2nd place again? They'll be lucky if they podium this year.
  • RichN95.
    I agree the Tour is 10x harder than California but a time trial is a time trial. It's no secret Schlecks are bad at TTs. Guys like Gesink, Cadel and Wiggins could potentially put minutes into Andy and Frank over the total 100km of TT.

Gesink. Ha! He always looks good in TTs when nobody's in form. It's a different kettle of fish when they get to the Tour.

Tour de France time trials:

2009 Stage 1
    17. Andy Schleck @1.00
    30. Robert Gesink @1.15

2010 Stage 19
    43. Andy Schleck @6.14
    108. Robert Gesink @8.33

2011 Stage 20
    16. Andy Schleck @2.38
    48. Robert Gesink @4.01
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2012

They've done what before? Win? Do it again? 2nd place again? They'll be lucky if they podium this year.
    They've taken minutes out of GC contender in the mountains before and they can do it again. Only a fool would completely discount Andy Schleck.

So it seems your theory is that Gesink can put minutes into Schleck in a TT, despite losing to him at every one of the last three Tours.

Also the Schleck can't put minutes into the GC contenders despite having done just that in the last three Tours.
  • cycling5280
    Remarkable wrote:

Yes.

So he should have surgery on his dislocated shoulder during the rest day of a grand tour? :roll:

Maybe you know something I don't but I'm pretty sure Frank doesn't need surgery.
  • cycling5280
    RichN95 wrote:

They've taken minutes out of GC contender in the mountains before and they can do it again. Only a fool would completely discount Andy Schleck.

HAHAHA...you make it sound like they've won before. Only in the courtroom, not on the road. Ask Andy, he'll tell you himself. Name another stage race Andy has won as a professional. Exactly. I'm not saying I would completely discount the Schlecks but I wouldn't fear them as much this year.
  • cycling5280
    RichN95 wrote:

So it seems your theory is that Gesink can put minutes into Schleck in a TT, despite losing to him at every one of the last three Tours.

Also the Schleck can't put minutes into the GC contenders despite having done just that in the last three Tours.

My theory is simple...
    Cadel can TT, climb and has won a stage race
    Wiggins can TT, climb and has won a stage race
    Gesink can TT, climb and has won a stage race
    Contador can TT, climb and has won many stage races

common theme...they are all getting better and winning.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ^^^ My theory is you used to post as Corney whatever and use Cav as bait, now you've decided to use the Schlecks.
  • cycling5280
    dougzz wrote:
    ^^^ My theory is you used to post as Corney whatever and use Cav as bait, now you've decided to use the Schlecks.

I don't even know what that means? But sure?
  • RichN95.
    Gesink can TT, climb and has won a stage race

Gesink has never beaten Andy Schleck in a Tour TT, other than a prologue
    Gesink has never beaten Andy Schleck in a Tour mountain stage.

Winning pokey little races like Oman and California that no-one really cares about means very little.
  • greasedscotsman

Have I missed something. I thought this was about this year's Tour. Can't see what Contador has to do with this.
  • cycling5280

Have I missed something. I thought this was about this year's Tour. Can't see what Contador has to do with this.

Nope didn't miss anything. Just talking about GC stage race winners.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    My first input to this thread is this:

Please kill this thread. Now. It's a Stelvio of tediousness, a Mont Ventoux of rubbish debate and has about as much chance of reaching some sort of informed conclusion as I have of riding Angliru in the big ring.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Please kill this thread. Now. It's a Stelvio of tediousness, a Mont Ventoux of rubbish debate and has about as much chance of reaching some sort of informed conclusion as I have of riding Angliru in the big ring.

It's doable, just not if you are Andy Schleck.

:wink:
  • greasedscotsman

What? That's it? This thread was rubbish! Did anyone get banned? Don't think so. Poor effort all round...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Did anyone get banned? Don't think so. Poor effort all round...

Quite.*

*I am joking. Let's keep this civil, else the warnings, thread locks, and ban hammers may have to be wielded