It's Official Schleck Brothers Suck

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Dave_1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That may be. Less daring more lack of tactical ability. Even so, Shleck attacked on A mountains tage last year and In L-B-L. Bertie on the other hands attacked in virtually every stage of the giro, and rides almost every race to win...

Maybe then the Schlecks need an imminent doping ban so that they ride as though it's the last race they'll do for two years

Bruyneel might 'ban' them out of spite if they're not careful ;).

wonder if this team could fall apart by july? Perhaps Kim Andersen has a hand in it..definitely a power struggle ongoing in that outfit

Kim definitely p*ssed that he's been kicked off the tour...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Again, that he might be, but his attitude still sucks. And i'd say Contador is more daring.

Yeah but Berty's daring got him banned, Andy being a little less daring hasn't yet got caught. With JB in charge I'm sure Andy will know exactly how daring to ride.
    :D
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    dougzz wrote:
    Again, that he might be, but his attitude still sucks. And i'd say Contador is more daring.

Yeah but Berty's daring got him banned, Andy being a little less daring hasn't yet got caught. With JB in charge I'm sure Andy will know exactly how daring to ride.
    it is odd..seemed like leaving Bruyneel's teams meant a considerably higher chance of being busted! e.g
    Heras. Hamilton, Landis, Beltran's careers all bit the dust after moving from JBs teams
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

it is odd..seemed like leaving Bruyneel's teams meant a considerably higher chance of being busted! e.g
    Heras. Hamilton, Landis, Beltran's careers all bit the dust after moving from JBs teams
    I assume that's no coincidence.

I don't understand Bruyneel getting so het up about only focussing on the tour. He pretty much made that the only way to win the bloody thing for 5 years.

Presumably he recons moral is very low and they're not likely to win the Tour?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    RichN95 wrote:

That may be. Less daring more lack of tactical ability. Even so, Shleck attacked on A mountains tage last year and In L-B-L. Bertie on the other hands attacked in virtually every stage of the giro, and rides almost every race to win...

Maybe then the Schlecks need an imminent doping ban so that they ride as though it's the last race they'll do for two years

Well you know he is coming back to tear the hell out of the Vuelta. People close to him say he is in some of the best form of his life. Going to be interesting seeing him back. Was just watching the Etna attack today - thats how you go out to win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    afx237vi wrote:
    They don't suck, but their attitude seems to.

This. When people complain about the Schlecks, it's not their palmares they're complaining about.

*sighs*

Andy Schleck is the most daring of all the proper GC contenders I've ever seen*

* I'm only young

Daring!???
    you can't bandy about a word like that, not in the same sentence as 'Shandy', it just makes it so much harder to find adjectives about Coppi, Pantani, hinault, fignon....... or any of the other riders previously termed 'daring'. At least contador attacks :roll:

and

One day of sun doesn't make a summer
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    josame wrote:

Daring!???
    you can't bandy about a word like that, not in the same sentence as 'Shandy', it just makes it so much harder to find adjectives about Coppi, Pantani, hinault, fignon....... or any of the other riders previously termed 'daring'. At least contador attacks :roll:

Schleck attacked 60km from the finish on a Grand Tour mountain stage. I don't think anyone else has done that this century. It was definitely daring.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

Schleck attacked 60km from the finish on a Grand Tour mountain stage. I don't think anyone else has done that this century. It was definitely daring.

His LBL win was daring, as was his Amstel 2010 attempt.

He's the only proper GC contender who tries to attack Contador. His attack when he shipped his chain was daring in theory - just not in execution.

And he was the one who attacked first in the Tourmalet.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

Daring or desperate? He had cocked up with his lame attacks in the Pyrenees and didn't have alot of choice but to attack. I take my hat off to him for the distance of the attack but I wouldn't describe it as daring
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

His LBL win was daring, as was his Amstel 2010 attempt.

He's the only proper GC contender who tries to attack Contador. His attack when he shipped his chain was daring in theory - just not in execution.

And he was the one who attacked first in the Tourmalet.

Both of them were the only riders to at least try and race Gilbert at last years LBL or AMG, all the other "good riders" just gave up! People have very selective memories...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I thought they were leading Gilbert out for the sprint finish
  • LeicesterLad
    edited May 2012
    Cogidubnus wrote:

:lol:

PS. theres a certain few on here who are using the fact that A Schleck is now a 'tour winner' with far too much enthusiasm, bringing it up at every opportunity to remind everybody what a fantastic rider he is. We know Andy can be an amazing rider on his day, when he wants to be. Thats not the argument, the argument is regarding his attitude. As for the Tour thing, Andy doesn't see himself as a tour winner, on paper of course he is, but out on the road he isn't, and judging by this year (his best chance without contador) and all the TT miles, I don't think he ever will be a 'Tour Winner'. He consistently finishes second, which is head and shoulders above a whole bunch of so called 'GC riders', which makes him a class act. Just wish he had the attitude to go with it.
  • frenchfighter
    Can't knock that attack, even if he bridged up to the breakaway, rode with them a ton then broke away again. It was a class move and paid off. He attacks a decent amount in the Tour, even if they don't come to much. He is just plain shit the rest of the year (I couldn't care less about a few token attacks 2 other days of the year).

Obviously it is suspiscious that he is inconsistently good compared to a consistently good Contador. Motivation plays a part but motivation doesn't make you a GT champion.

He's no Contador and never will be. I wonder what he would be like if he focuses 100%. He could be quite successful.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Obviously it is suspiscious that he is inconsistently good compared to a consistently good Contador.

Can people NOT bite on this please.
  • frenchfighter
    Any excuse to post a photo:
    210-RTR2P4OL.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Obviously it is suspiscious that he is inconsistently good compared to a consistently good Contador.

Can people NOT bite on this please.

Yeah don't want to start anything, just saying. Fyi, I don't think he is a doper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    We're also forgetting Andy's performance on that Alp D'Huez stage the day after, where he went into the attack early on, long before the final climb - he ended up paying severely for that.

Those two stages were the best pair of mountain stages I've seen in the Tour this decade, thanks mainly (though not entirely) to Andy.
  • RichN95.
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Daring or desperate? He had cocked up with his lame attacks in the Pyrenees and didn't have alot of choice but to attack. I take my hat off to him for the distance of the attack but I wouldn't describe it as daring

No it was daring. He was 4th on GC at the time. He could easily have settled for an easy comfortable podium position - maybe he should have done that instead. He was using his talents as a climber to try to win the Tour, and only Evans stopped it working.
  • ddraver
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    So when they attack that's pathetic, but they re also pathetic when they dont?

Hmm, you ll forgive me if I don't take your opinions too seriously after that...
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    *this is a thread about attitude, not ability - there is more to attitude than just whether you can attack or not*

HE IS A GOOD RIDER.

HIS ATTITUDE IS PRETTY POOR.

DISCUSS.
  • rick_chasey
    *this is a thread about attitude, not ability - there is more to attitude than just whether you can attack or not*

HE IS A GOOD RIDER.

DISCUSS.

:lol: Sorry.

He's no worse than Armstrong was. :twisted:
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

See comment about one day of sun not making a summer...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • LeicesterLad

HE IS A GOOD RIDER.

DISCUSS.

:lol: Sorry.

He's no worse than Armstrong was. :twisted:

Oh no Chasey, what have you done...

:wink:
  • RichN95.
    josame wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

Liege 2009
    Grand Bonnard 2009
    Tourmalet 2010
    Amstel Gold 2011

That's a few suns for a 26 year old.
  • ddraver
    Well, OK. But we find EBH boring becasue every interview is the same (Yes, it was good and nice) yet Cav is annoying becasue he dares to give an opinion (I'd be sent home for what Ferrari did). Contador used to barely say a word to anyone - do we prefer that? Do we want an Armstrongesque approach so that we only get to hear from journalists who blow smoke up their arse? Pro riders are professional bike riders, they are not out to win our affection. Some are good at it by chance, some are not.

Someone has already pointed out that no one on CN writes an article when one of the Schleck says something nice, only when it's bad. I can point out another double standard again. It's not fair to judge Cav 5 mins after a race finish that he has just ballsed up, but it is fair to judge the Schlecks after stage with a wet descent that they ve ballsed up?

Some people on here speak other languages but most of us don't. When the Schelcks are interviewed in English they are talking in their fourth (count them, one two, three, FOURTH!) language. Have a look at the difference between one of Tom Boonen's answers in Flemish and english - Guess which one is more expansive.

Ive said it again, it is easy and lazy to whinge about the Schlecks - it's the cycling equivalent of the Daily Mail blaming immigrants for everything - It does nt make it true.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    LL:

I'm a bad person. I should behave - but I love the is he good / isn't he good debates.

I can see where you're coming from. When he's not up for it he comes across a little petulant/arrogant. But when I think of what he has done I can see where he's coming from. For sure, he's not that professional at times, but then again, neither am I at work ;). I think it's an age thing partly, though that's no excuse for Frank.

I think we're quicker to chastise them for moaning because of the type of rider they are - being seen to be skinny and rubbish downhill is easier to ridicule.

I also noticed in that Dutch documentary on him from the 2011 season - his performance is SO related to weight, that I think it's tough for him to be at that super high Watts/kg level for large parts of the season. Every time they measured his performance, it was basically "you need to lose 2kg still " or "you're on track to be the right weight".
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2012
    We're also forgetting Andy's performance on that Alp D'Huez stage the day after, where he went into the attack early on, long before the final climb - he ended up paying severely for that.

Those two stages were the best pair of mountain stages I've seen in the Tour this decade, thanks mainly (though not entirely) to Andy.

Contador initiated the attack on the Alpe. That was about 100km out. (Edit: 92.5k out)

Contador has attacked from about 100km out in Paris Nice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey

Contador initiated the attack on the Alpe. That was about 100km out.

Andy Pandy worked with him to try and make it work ;).
  • LeicesterLad
    LL:

I'm a bad person. I should behave - but I love the is he good / isn't he good debates.

I can see where you're coming from. When he's not up for it he comes across a little petulant/arrogant. But when I think of what he has done I can see where he's coming from. For sure, he's not that professional at times, but then again, neither am I at work ;). I think it's an age thing partly, though that's no excuse for Frank.

I think we're quicker to chastise them for moaning because of the type of rider they are - being seen to be skinny and rubbish downhill is easier to ridicule.

I also noticed in that Dutch documentary on him from the 2011 season - his performance is SO related to weight, that I think it's tough for him to be at that super high Watts/kg level for large parts of the season. Every time they measured his performance, it was basically "you need to lose 2kg still " or "you're on track to be the right weight".

Finally, a sensible measured response on this thread. And I agree. Sort of. Win win! I still think the whole getting upset when they can't ride together and the skype thing is a little OTT though - they open themselves to ridicule. I have two brothers, quite close family. Wouldn't skype them, wouldn't want to. :lol:
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:

Daring!???

Liege 2009
    Grand Bonnard 2009
    Tourmalet 2010
    Amstel Gold 2011

That's a few suns for a 26 year old.

Any Lux national champ victories in there? :roll:

For the amount of talent he has -- the point is that there should be a few more suns.

I'm sorry -- until he can move his chain without it falling off at a key point, I'm not buying the Andy Schleck love.