It's Official Schleck Brothers Suck

Comments

• cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    ddraver wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    they are both very good riders but as stated they both should have won so much more than they have. This year just seems to be a bad year for both but a few days ago Frank was saying he was starting to enjoy the giro then he gets a bit of rain and twitch in his shoulder and wants to go home

He missed his brother.

and again...

Andy and Frank on a tandem couldn't beat Wiggins in a TT
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    ddraver wrote:
    Well I must admit I'm no fan of JB' but I would guess that Frank knows better than him...

I'd hope the team manager would know as much as the rider, what with having access to the medical reports and all.

That said I wouldn't be riding with a dislocated shoulder, and as much as im not a fan of Franks I wouldn't wish upon him an injury.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    gets a bit of rain and twitch in his shoulder and wants to go home

Never dislocated your shoulder then

See what I mean? Easy and lazy....

I have. And I still haven't ridden a bike after it. So I empathise with Frank.

:lol: Yeah, but you hadn't ridden a bike prior to dislocating your shoulder either had you Iain? :wink:

I left this thread for my journey home from work and everything was fine and dandy. I obviously spoke to soon...Get home and its chaos!

To many biting the newbie's bait. Ive said the same before but people signing up to the forum purely to plug their blogs get right on my tit's, especially when the blog doesn't really have much to say for itself. (before anyone points out that my sig consists of my blog link - yes it does, but i've never come on here and plugged it in this manner, Infact i'd be to scared to post up here about a blog i'd written, as many on here are far more knowledgable than me on the subject and therefor my blog looks very amaeturish).

As for the Schlecks, opinion is bound to differ, ive had run in's before (ddraver :wink: ) but it is clear both Schlecks are fantastic riders, very talented in fact. So its not right to be chucking comments around regarding performance. I'm not a fan of their style, its widely known on here, but that doesn't mean I don't rate them! My gripes are with 'attitude' and opinion on this is going to differ, we all have favourites and equally riders we are not to keen on - that's life, most of us on here are mature enough to debate this without slinging mud around and suggeting riders are sh*t when they clearly are not. Writing a blog post about how sh*t a rider is whilst claiming to be 'up close with professional cycling' is very, very amature - I'm yet to read a respectable magasine article where they have referred to a rider as 'sucking'. Yes we can question decision making, tactics etc - afterall without debate on these subjects conversation on here would be pretty mundane. To slate a rider, as Rich point out, from the comfort of our sofa's really isn't cool...

Anyway...I can't remeber what i was going to type when I first started typing so thats my cue to shut up. Anyway, original OP, not cool - tone it down a little, it's no way to make friends and of course get people to take your blog seriously and keep coming back to read more, which is why you posted in the first place...

rest of us, lets chill the f*ck out, we all have opinions, there no need to be squaring up over it...

As you were.
  • cycling5280
    ddraver wrote:
    I know we re supposed to be nice to the newbie so I ll phrase this as helful advice. You re not making many friends here, maybe tone down the aggression a bit, this is a nice bit of the forum, not a slagging fest.

This is not Facebook, I don't want to be your friend. I have actually enjoyed all the replies regardless if they agree with me or not but the stupid petty comments about my blog are just dumb.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Posters starting threads just to publicise their own blogs really irritates me.

Don't know why. Doesn't do me any harm. But it irritates.

whiners irritate me. Don't know why. Doesn't do me any harm. But it irritates.

Yeah. Whiners suck.

Not your blog.

It's awesome.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'd suggest cycling news is a better place for you then - we like to get on here!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    I know we re supposed to be nice to the newbie so I ll phrase this as helful advice. You re not making many friends here, maybe tone down the aggression a bit, this is a nice bit of the forum, not a slagging fest.

This is not Facebook, I don't want to be your friend. I have actually enjoyed all the replies regardless if they agree with me or not but the stupid petty comments about my blog are just dumb.
    If you use a forum to try to promote your blog, don't complain when people point out it's crap.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Some stuff...

No, you re right, It's fine to be fans/not be fans of any riders (personally, I could nt care less which of the current crop win the Giro this year - would nt know any of them if they walked in to me), But there is a difference between you not being a fan of the boys and just regurgitating bile (as you said...)

I look forward to a fun july LL! :P
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    Some stuff...

No, you re right, It's fine to be fans/not be fans of any riders (personally, I could nt care less which of the current crop win the Giro this year - would nt know any of them if they walked in to me), But there is a difference between you not being a fan of the boys and just regurgitating bile (as you said...)

I look forward to a fun july LL! :P

I don't, not without dirty bertie. Unless Wiggins wins, then it might be ok :wink:
  • ddraver
    I'm sure Andy ill do something for us to argue about! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

And of course you have had better results than either of them???? You make more money than they do?? You're riding for a better team than them???? You have more endorsments than they do???? Of course you do, 'cause they suck, right??? :roll: :roll:

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how you got the impression that I think I'm better and that's why they suck?

When someone tells me that some pro racer or another "sucks" the're going to have to show me that they can do better. Otherwise you're just "blowin' smoke" or have your head up, well, someplace it doesn't belong. Sorry, that's the way I think. Someone slams someone then they had damn sure be better at whatever, than the person they trash talked.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Going back a few postings LL I think your point about the Schlecks attitude is really interesting.... They must have had plenty of it in spades to get where they are today..... To achieve in any sport it's a given......so the real question is how has it changed as they have progressed, or perhaps why? How has one influenced the other or indeed the various DoS they have been under?
    Personally I don't find them inspiring......but that's because my frame of reference goes back to the late70s early 80s when I was racing as a teen and had notions of " if only I could ride like xxxxxx". Today I may start off thinking....yeah go on Andy, but then get frustrated at knowing I would always be a crap tester no matter how much I worked at it. Either way the initial blog was an opinion.....it just lacked an element of thought.
  • ddraver
    Has their attitude changed? What happened to Cadel's attitude between whatever year he turned pro and 2011, he did nt win any TdF's either...

Or was he/they just beaten by a better rider?
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    So you think the Schlecks should be more like Pozzato?

Yes.

Really? So it's OK for Pozzato to abandon Paris Rouabix because his knee and calf are a bit sore, but it's not OK for Frank Schleck to do the same at the Giro? Maybe Pozzato isn't quite the fierce competitor you think he is.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    ddraver wrote:
    Has their attitude changed? What happened to Cadel's attitude between whatever year he turned pro and 2011, he did nt win any TdF's either...

I think a bit of both actually......sore arse I know....but it's the manner of the beatings and the riders who are dishing them out which all impact on attitude/ approach. And, without a doubt the wider media play a part too....one year Evans has his toys out the pram...then he's more media friendly. How will JBs supposed comments in The Italian media impact on the Schleck's way of thinking.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrT wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I think a bit of both actually......sore ars* I know....but it's the manner of the beatings and the riders who are dishing them out which all impact on attitude/ approach. And, without a doubt the wider media play a part too....one year Evans has his toys out the pram...then he's more media friendly. How will JBs supposed comments in The Italian media impact on the Schleck's way of thinking.

The peloton going slower probably had a bigger effect than anything else.

It's all very well talking of attacking, but if you're on the limit following the wheels, you'd be mad to attack - if that's even possible.
  • cycling5280
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

And of course you have had better results than either of them???? You make more money than they do?? You're riding for a better team than them???? You have more endorsments than they do???? Of course you do, 'cause they suck, right??? :roll: :roll:

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how you got the impression that I think I'm better and that's why they suck?

When someone tells me that some pro racer or another "sucks" the're going to have to show me that they can do better. Otherwise you're just "blowin' smoke" or have your head up, well, someplace it doesn't belong. Sorry, that's the way I think. Someone slams someone then they had damn sure be better at whatever, than the person they trash talked.

These guys are paid professional athletes. The best in the world. Their performances are judged every single race by their sponsors, the media and fans. As a huge fan of cycling I can be critical of them and call them out without having to be better than them.
  • cycling5280
    MrT wrote:
    Going back a few postings LL I think your point about the Schlecks attitude is really interesting.... They must have had plenty of it in spades to get where they are today..... To achieve in any sport it's a given......so the real question is how has it changed as they have progressed, or perhaps why? How has one influenced the other or indeed the various DoS they have been under?
    Personally I don't find them inspiring......but that's because my frame of reference goes back to the late70s early 80s when I was racing as a teen and had notions of " if only I could ride like xxxxxx". Today I may start off thinking....yeah go on Andy, but then get frustrated at knowing I would always be a crap tester no matter how much I worked at it. Either way the initial blog was an opinion.....it just lacked an element of thought.

I agree with you, I don't find them inspiring. Clearly the word "suck" was too harsh for some people but it was my way of saying "their not going to win the tour, stop the hype." The guys I think that are inspiring are surprisingly on their team (Horner, Cancellara, Voigt) so maybe that doesn't help. Personally I think that team is better off hunting for stage wins than the overall GC.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    These guys are paid professional athletes. The best in the world. Their performances are judged every single race by their sponsors, the media and fans. As a huge fan of cycling I can be critical of them and call them out without having to be better than them.

Many of your posts would seem to contradict this. Pozzato, please, LOL, best laugh I've had in an age.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Critical? Sure. We are all critical of things. If you don't think AS has a tour win in him - fine, maybe he doesn't. That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. However, trash talkin' and name calling needs to be backed up by the name caller. At least IMHO.
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm sure Andy ill do something for us to argue about! ;)

It's more what he won't do thats likely to frustrate me! I would honestly, genuinely love to see Frank stay at home and Andy go out fighting, take the tour by the scruff of the neck and win. I mean, i'd rather see Wiggo win it, but you know what I mean.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is all a bit silly. The Schleck's aren't good enough to split the forum.

The OP (troll?) used some overly strong terms and too many people have got emotional.

This thread highlights the need to eliminate rest days from GTs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

What are your views on how Hitler ran Germany?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

Borderline Godwin, you can't do that so early, you need at least 30 pages before you go Godwin.

Of no interest to anyone else I'm posting this from Berlin, having today visited the site of the bunker, the Air Ministry, and many other related sites. If you're ever here I definitely recommend the walking tours run by Insider Tours and Original Berlin Walks. Of course you'll really want the Fat Bike Tour :)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

/thread?

FWIW There are two separate arguments here it seems:
    1) The Schleck's attitude sucks
    2) The Schleck's cycling sucks

Point 1 is debatable, point 2 isn't really IMO. They're amongst the top cyclists in the pro peleton, both of them are consistently in the top groups in races. They couldn't beat Gilbert last year in LBL, well neither could the rest of the peleton!

Their palmares don't have much breadth, but neither does Jan Ullrich's, as far as I can recall, few on this forum have complained about Jan's reluctance to race more.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • cycling5280
    I realize I hurt a lot of Schleck fans. I decided to provide a softer version of my opinion. Check it out!

http://1kmtogo.blogspot.com/2012/05/are ... ur_21.html
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    I really admire them! :? What exactly is wrong with their attitude? They work hard and race as well as they can. They don't try and to be somebody they are not. They are friendly to other people, down to earth, honest and are best friends. People on this forum could learn a lot from them and not just about cycling. Heroes.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    I realize I hurt a lot of Schleck fans. I decided to provide a softer version of my opinion. Check it out!

Go for stage wins. Seriously? They do that anyway. Frank won a stage in 2009. Andy won 2 stages in 2010. Andy won another stage in 2011. :roll:
  • ddraver
    33_desmond-church-dig-yourself-a-hole-art.jpg

Good god man at least have the courage to stick with your opinion.... :D if Jens and Canc are such heroes, why would they be riding for riders that "suck"?
    - @ddraver
  • cycling5280
    Remarkable wrote:

Go for stage wins. Seriously? They do that anyway. Frank won a stage in 2009. Andy won 2 stages in 2010. Andy won another stage in 2011. :roll:

I was just throwing that out there. Johan doesn't go to the Tour not to win the GC and this year is no different. If Andy and Frank don't come with amazing form then I would give guys like Popo, Horner, Fuglsang, Voigt, Zubeldia and Gerdemann the green light to attack for stage wins.