Crudcatcher Weekend Ride - Inners/GT - 27/28/29 Jul

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'll strap some lead weights to Tom's bike while he's not looking....

Matt: Any idea what the bed setup in the wigwams is like? Do I need to bring the campbed or just a sleeping bag?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    From what I can tell on the website, there are mattresses of a type, so just bring a sleeping bag. Maybe a sleeping mat as well, but I recon the mattresses will be fine.

1. Week. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • bails87
    Ah, I knew I'd seen a photo like that somewhere but couldn't find it yesterday. Ta mule.

Wooo, excited about this now!
    MTB/CX

• cazmotron
    cazmotron Posts: 161
    As there is only a week to go and just to whet your appetite guys

spookystart.jpg

The view from the start of Spooky
    Attention all planets of the Solar Federation - We have assumed control.
  • bails87
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    MTB/CX

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    That's nice that is... 8)
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    WOOHOO!

Bails, sleeping bag and pillow is all you'll need. As mule says they've got mattresses in there.
  • Cannnyyyyy waaaaaaaiiit :D

Spooky wood is awesome, but I prefer SuperG straight after!

Love this drop on the freeride at GT... canny wait to get off there on the FS bike!

IMG_3281.jpg

Oh and did someone mention heatwave next week? :wink:
  • thekickingmule
    Just a thought here, looking at the Gisburn thread, it may be muddy, wet and in a bit of disrepair. I was thinking, we could always skip Gisburn and head straight to GT for a ride on Friday. There's loads of trails up there, we won't do everything on Saturday.

Or, as an alternative to Gisburn, there's Stainburn.

These are just thoughts which are currently taking my mind off orders :D
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Hey, I'm not really fussed either way.

The only thing to consider is that Gisburn was initially intended as somewhere the "daan-saaf cru" (Bails and Lawman) could stop off and stretch their legs. Cannock to GT is a long drive.

Personally I don't mind if we stop off at Gisburn, somewhere else that is on the way, or go directly to GT. Whatever everyone else wants to do is fine by me.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Oh, and I'm sure someone will do anyway, but could I please request that someone makes sure we've got a decent kettle. If I have to go without tea for more than about 10mins, I'm likely to go apeshit and murder you all where you stand.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Hi All,

1 Week to go!! Whoot whoot!!

Been reading all of the comments about being unfit and slow up hills:
    I've hardly ridden for the last - 2 months i'd say ..

Slightly concerned about fitness!
    cazmotron wrote:
    You'll still probably beat me up the hills.
    bails87 wrote:
    Me too, getting run over is not good for knees!

There seems to have been an improvement over the last few days so hoping for a miraculous recovery over the next week or so.

Neither is mountain biking apparently.

I'm in much better form now than I was 6 months ago though. I'm still not able to run up stairs 2 at a time, jump, or sit on my feet, that kind of stuff. But considering I only started walking again in March, I'm fairly happy with my progress. The main thing limiting my fitness now is more the extra weight I've put on rather than any injuries.

Plus I have some rad and gnarly scars which pretty much makes it all worthwhile. I'm a bit gutted because up until about 6 weeks ago, I'd lost all feeling in my shins, which works well with my flat pedals.
    I've not ridden properly for a couple of months either, and haven't ridden at all in the last 2 (or 3!?) weeks! I can assure you, you'll have a partner walking up the hills :lol:

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend, but I'm not sure I will. We'll see :D

And I've been thinking, we'll all be pretty much of a muchness on the climbs then - I won't embarass myself and won't hold everybody up too much.

But then I read this, in this morning's Friday thread in The Crudcatcher:
    pilch wrote:
    Morning mongs...mongettes

Terry's chocolate orange cookie for breakfast... nice but no substitute for bacon i'm afraid...

2 races this weekend, one local & one national = more destroyed kit & cleaning lots of things, however really looking forward to next weeks heatwave and Scotland in the dry - that could be a first for me... normally hit with the rain stick every time I go north of the border :?

Following weekend i'm at Afan with some mates if any of you lot are about?

WTF!!

2 races this weekend???

I'll see you at the top then Pilch - please wait for us :D
  • cat_with_no_tail
    It's fine, he'll not be so fast once I break his legs and let the air out of his tyres.
  • pilch
    Proutster wrote:
    2 races this weekend???

XC racing... you boys will leave me for dead on the downs, then there's the hangover to factor in :shock:

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    pilch wrote:
    then there's the hangover to factor in :shock:

Don't you know the old phrase "a hangover shared is a hangover halved"?

I have a feeling most of us will be in the same boat of headache, dehydration & cold-sweats :D
    pilch wrote:

XC racing... you boys will leave me for dead on the downs

I've heard that some of you XC racers are pretty useful going downhill as well, but do it without using the words "hardcore, rad, gnar & stoked"....
  • thekickingmule
    CWNT I'm bringing my little trangia, it's not great, but it can make a good brew :D I never camp without it!

With regards to Gisburn, I don't mind either. Who is actually going there, as if it's just us, we can make our own decision on the day I guess.

The weather people are teasing us now. I've been hearing the word 'heatwave' thrown about. So much so, i've added Suncream to the list :lol:
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • pilch
    I'm bringing a family sized box of anadin extra....

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bails87
    Whether we stop or not, I'll still be doing the monster drive in one day.

If we're at Gisburn for 12 we'll have left Tom's at 9ish, meaning I'll have to leave mine at 8ish at the very latest, so up at 7 at the latest. So whatever we do, it's going to be a long day with another 3 hours of driving tagged on the end.

How close are we to GT? Right at the start of the trails? If so we could just drive straight up to the campsite and do a cheeky lap/half lap depending on fireroad escape routes when we get there.

BTW, if anyone's got a bit of wood and a couple of bricks we can make a super extreme ramp for jumping over the lake of fire/disposable BBQ. :wink:

If we don't do Gisburn we'll still have a great weekend of riding
    MTB/CX

• cat_with_no_tail
    bails87 wrote:
    How close are we to GT?

Like 100m from the trail apparently.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    How close are we to GT?

Like 100m from the trail apparently.
    So just going straight there and doing a cheeky afternoon ride isn't out of the question. I doubt we'll get bored if we do it twice in two days! :lol: Or we can go and play about on the skills bit and blue run, and do the super gnar black.red on the Saturday?
    MTB/CX

• pilch
    Don't mind either option, driving straight there is possibly the better option though... at least you get all the ballaching bit out of the way in one hit, then its all gravy...

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I'm fine whatever we decide to do.

Actually, what I wanted to ask is if there is a specific "closing time" for GT? I mean, it's light until nearly 10 (plus I have lights anyway). Just wondering.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    The weather people are teasing us now. I've been hearing the word 'heatwave' thrown about. So much so, i've added Suncream to the list :lol:

To be fair, they don't know what a heatwave is.

Do you remember Bikeradar live? Trying to ride round Cannock on the way down there, and even when we arrievd at the campsite, past 10pm, it was still like 30deg. and there were like 4 showers for the entire campsite. and I had that shltty little festival tent.
    Fark me that was an uncomfortable weekend. Awesome though.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Brews aren't going to be an issue as I've a double gas burner thingy that also has a grill, a little table thingy to put it on and some comfy chairs to sit in whilst supping :D

if we miss Gisburn out then the drive up might be quicker straight up the M1/A1 to Newcastle couple of cheeky Newky browns then 696 towards peebles sorted!( that road Number may be wrong but i know where I'm going) :D
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    If we're heading up past new'astle, can we stop off along the way so we can leave my inlaws in a ditch?
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    If we're heading up past new'astle, can we stop off along the way so we can leave my inlaws in a ditch?

Of Course be rude not to!

have you any requests for in car entertainment btw, hookers and blow being a given :D
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I want a clown.

And a small child with downs whose ears I can touch then lock in a cage and poke with a stick.

And I'm preemptively calling shotgun, both literally and figuratively.

We can get Keith some crayons too, bless his little coton socks.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Right homos.

Sleeping arrangements, because there have been some changes and just so we can be clear:
      Country Manor (wigwam)
      Proutster
      Bails

Tent #1 (can sleep 3 people)
      CWNT
      Richie 63
      kickingMule

Tent #2
      NorthernMonkey
      SquarePants

Tent #3
      Cazmotron
      Cazmotrons mate

Tent #4
      Lawman

Van #1
      Pilch
      Pilch's mate

That is unless Pilch is now planning on camping, or his mate needs a tent pitch?

Does that look right to everyone?
    • pilch
      Still in the van... my mate will be camping, having said that he is away at the moment and i can't get hold of him to confirm he is a definate

29er race

29er bouncer
    • bails87
      Fine with me. We might even allow you peasants over the moat....
      MTB/CX