Giro Stage 3 *spoiler*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Shipley wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    The simple solution is to get rid of all of these stupid flat finishes.
    That is the last thing all the flag-waving Cavendish fans would want though
    Do I detect just a teeny weeny hint of anti-Cavendish bias here? Are you developing a new target for your obsessive behaviour now that LA is starting to fade into history? Could success and popularity be the common factor?
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kelly was saying these things happen. And they do. If it's a pattern of behaviour, then you look at it differently.
    Quite so. On the subject of 'patterns' it is interesting how so many crashes in sprint finishes seem to have had one common factor: Mark Cavendish...

I presume you must have a graph somewhere to show us how this crash was in fact Cavendish's fault :roll:

Thank you for your post - just what I was thinking as I read that tripe. I'm sure there are others.

Pity how a good discussion has to be spammed with this, and there was I hoping this forum would be better now the Armstrong campaign had subsided.

It is by and large ;)

It's a brit forum so people are going to make more of a song and dance about Cavendish.

Could be worse. Could be me exalting Boonen all day.

As an aside I've the quality of the pro-race forum has gone up overall since Armstrong retired. There are obvious exceptions ;) but hey, it's a public forum right?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    It might have been less 'erratic', but was far more calculated and aggressive, as the only reason Cavendish moved across was to try to lean on Haussler. (As was clear from the overhead shot).

To be honest, the main conclusion that can be drawn from all this is that many British bike racing fans are getting as blinkered and jingoistic as their fellow football supporters!

Well, I've just watched the 2010 crash again and although Cav is at fault, how can you say that he deliberately moved to lean on him? From the moment that both riders went past Ciolek to the moment of impact takes 1.5 seconds, hardly enough time for Cavendish, who had his head down most of the time, to hatch his Evil Plan.

Do you really think he'd deliberately take such a big risk in the Tour of Switzerland just a few weeks before the Tour de France?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes Cav was at fault two years back.

But not for yesterdays crash. Ferrari pure and simple and the referees agree with this.

Every time this happens are we going to get people digging up 2 year old crashes to prove something ?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Wonder if Cav has bought Elia Favilli a drink yet for very impressive bunny hopping skills?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Wonder if Cav has bought Elia Favilli a drink yet for very impressive bunny hopping skills?

I also remember Juan Antonio Flecha showing some pretty impressive skills avoiding the infamous Cav crash at the Tour de Suisse.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Biking Bernie - Nobody is suggesting that this hasn't been blown out of proportion, because yes it had.

but

a. You suggested Cav should have backed off b. You suggest because Cav caused a crash two years ago that he must be in the wrong here.

The simple facts are ferrari was in the wrong, he caused a crash - if he didn't then why have the race organisers punished him?

Don't let your hatred of Cavendish get in the way of simple facts. There is no defending Ferrari's actions - the fact that Cav has done the same in the past doesn't come into it.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    cougie wrote:
    Yes Cav was at fault two years back.

But not for yesterdays crash. Ferrari pure and simple and the referees agree with this.

Every time this happens are we going to get people digging up 2 year old crashes to prove something ?
    In my book it needed to be brought up in order to show that Cavendish is in no position to lecture others about 'respecting' other riders and safe sprinting. I know that his public image is now carefully managed by his new PR team, but this doesn't mean that he should be allowed to get away with such hypocrisy.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Pross wrote:
    I'm sort of with Iain on this. It was a sprint, people are acting instinctively. Ferrari sees a rider (Farrar) going past him quickly with no-one immediately on his wheel and sees a chance to jump on the back. He doesn't look properly and we all know the conclusion. Decisions are being made in fractions of a second and riders get things wrong. No-one can seriously suggest it was a move intended to cause harm. However, I do think it needs harsher penalties when people do make these errors in judgement and relegation on the stage for a rider who came in outside the first 3 isn't really sufficient. A large fine should be a minimum.

Undoubtedly, it was a racing incident and the usual sanction, to my mind, has followed. The sort of thing Graeme Brown, or Rene Hasslebasher :wink: are renowned for. Time to move on. Onwards and upwards and all that.
    However, I'm not sure I saw the incident quite the same.
    From the overhead, it appeared to me that Ferrari didn't try to jump onto Farrar's wheel as he passed, rather to jump around both Haedo and Farrar: Hence, the huge deviation.

FF: His foot came out as a result of hitting Cav, not prior to, or as a result of him starting his sprint.

Anyhow, it's very handy to have this little tidbit to chew on during the rest day.
    Without it, the Danish stages would have cause tumbleweed to blow down the dusty old streets of Forumtown.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BikingBernie
    There is no defending Ferrari's actions - the fact that Cav has done the same in the past doesn't come into it.
    And where did I defend him? In fact this is what I said on the matter about six pages ago:
    ...it was a very dodgy move, a crash did occur as a result and Ferrari's attitude stinks!
    That said, what Cavendish did in the past certainly does 'come into it' when his response is to lecture others about 'respect' and safe riding...
  • BikingBernie
    I also thought that the spitting story eventually turned out to be false, but I can't remember where I read that.
    Probably because you never did.

Come back when you have a reliable source...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Erm...rightbackatcha there Bernie...

Oh, peoples faux hatred is so funny, keep it up kids!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    I also thought that the spitting story eventually turned out to be false, but I can't remember where I read that.

There was never a reliable source that he did spit either though was there? Just a load of hearsay as usual. Some say he spat near Haussler, others that he spat on him so even the hearsay was mixed. It's one of those things that only a few people will ever know the truth about (and they probably have different opinions on what really happened).
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    There is no defending Ferrari's actions - the fact that Cav has done the same in the past doesn't come into it.
    And where did I defend him? In fact this is what I said on the matter about six pages ago:
    ...it was a very dodgy move, a crash did occur as a result and Ferrari's attitude stinks!
    That said, what Cavendish did in the past certainly does 'come into it' when his response is to lecture others about 'respect' and safe riding...

Fair enough, but then you also said
    avoiding a crash often requires someone to back off, something that does not come naturally to Cavendish.

any suggestion here that Cavendish should have 'backed off', therefor trying to lay some of the blame at his door, is pretty poor form to be honest.
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:

There was never a reliable source that he did spit either though was there? Just a load of hearsay as usual. Some say he spat near Haussler, others that he spat on him so even the hearsay was mixed. It's one of those things that only a few people will ever know the truth about (and they probably have different opinions on what really happened).

The spitting incident was not caught on camera. Innocent until proven guilty is a sensible principle isn't it?
  • BikingBernie
    Pross wrote:
    Some say he spat near Haussler, others that he spat on him so even the hearsay was mixed.
    Multiple confirmations that Cavendish did actually do much as was reported, I would say...
  • davesvord
    davesvord Posts: 80
    A more realistic account of what happened post race.

http://cyclismas.com/2012/05/roberto-fe ... n-program/
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    This thread is making me wish for another Armstrong comeback.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    12 pages people. Get a grip.

Rest days are a nightmare as it is.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Looks like this thread has been going round in circles for 8 pages. No new information and just a repetition of opinion and the same arguments for and against.

Should probably let it go and wrap it up...

Not even any colour with photos and or interesting videos, apart from some Cav road rash and a Petacchi punch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ps. never seen so many browsers on a rest day :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m2eqkpRdAH1qzcd3bo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Unbranded fork:

wilier.jpg

Ps. look out for Scarponi's shoes - brilliant.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You're a smelly poo
  • rick_chasey
    *cleavage shot of girl on bike*

WTF?
  • finchy

WTF?

I know. The ones in cake shop are miles better.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

WTF?

I know - I was looking at those Campag Delta brakes too!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

WTF?

I know. The ones in cake shop are miles better.
    :|
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I have to say Cav went up in my estimation yesterday.

They're was a air of 'panache' in how he walked across the line carrying his bike as the remainder pf the peleton rode round him.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2012
    tumblr_m3e3il61ea1qbxnpgo1_1280.jpg?t=1336482001
    Contador is the Greatest