• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haven't seen this before. The Petacchi punch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r02B7eRiT68
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The actual comments:

“I was in good shape in the finale, but unfortunately I pulled my foot out and so I slowed down at the finish,” he told the RaiSport TV cameras. “I haven’t been able to take anything yesterday or today, but will hopefully in the next week. In the team time trial we will aim to lose as little as possible, and Thursday should be another beautiful stage.”

“I don’t know who was behind me,” he said. “I know that when Farrar went I threw myself right and somebody hooked me back. There was space to pass, I don’t know who was on the wheel or what happened.

“I made my sprint,” he added. “I was on my course. I was in front of him [Cavendish], I don’t care what happens behind me.”

Savio:

“We very much regret what happened and apologize to Mark Cavendish on behalf of Roberto Ferrari and the whole team,” he told RaiSport. “It was absolutely not a deliberate move; Roberto saw the wheel of Farrar and tried to follow him, not realising that Mark Cavendish was right behind him.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    That move is indefensible. Without question, he should be disqualified, but he won't because it's the Giro and he's Italian - a bloody disgrace!

For his lack of remore and arrogant attitude, I truly hope the rest of his tour is an absolute misery for him. :evil:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    knedlicky wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kV0t-qcxmw
    interesting version of not my fault. wonder if he'll change his tune once he sees it
    Not trying to defend Ferrari but just curious to hear what people have to say about Cavendish's change of direction (albeit not as severe as Ferrari's) at 3:36 on this video.

At least he looked (twice) to see who was around - also a signal to the rider behind that he was looking for a gap.

As for deviation from the line... if there's a slower rider in front of you, you have to change direction if you're going to pass them. Dunno when the "selected lane" starts, but surely it can only apply if there's clear road ahead and no one to get past.

That said, there's deviation and there's swerving violently across the road into the path of another rider.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    It's not just that he changed direction (you have to do that in sprinting to overtake). It's the degree and rate of change.

Posters/Twitterer's saying that if it hadn't been a crash and it had been Cav doing it, we would have lauded it as a great move...I don't see the connection, it's a totally different move if he doesn't crash
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I saw a wonderful quote earlier from WW's parents, saying this will probably be the last race they watch, as they only previously watched it for Wouter, and now it's tinged with grief
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited May 2012
    RoyPSB wrote:
    That move is indefensible. Without question, he should be disqualified, but he won't because it's the Giro and he's Italian - a bloody disgrace!
    Cavendish wasn't disqualified from the Tour of Switzerland when his aggressive riding / moving across the road caused a serious crash...
    RoyPSB wrote:
    For his lack of remore and arrogant attitude, I truly hope the rest of his tour is an absolute misery for him.
    As long as it isn't reported that he spat at the feet of those who criticised his riding, as Cavendish did.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Jez mon wrote:
    Posters/Twitterer's saying that if it hadn't been a crash and it had been Cav doing it, we would have lauded it as a great move...I don't see the connection, it's a totally different move if he doesn't crash
    Often the dividing line is very slim between a move that results in a crash and one that doesn't. Also avoiding a crash often required someone to back off, something that does not come naturally to Cavendish.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Jez mon wrote:
    Often the dividing line is very slim between a move that results in a crash and one that doesn't. Also avoiding a crash often required someone to back off, something that does not come naturally to Cavendish.

Not like he had a chance to back off there, Ferrari dived straight into him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon wrote:

Meh, I've looked at the video a number of times now, and not once did I find myself thinking Ferrari even came close to doing anything other than taking out a load of fellow cyclists. It's not like he's gone for a tight gap here, or tried to edge Cav out slowly, he's just suddenly changed direction.

If Ferrari goes the other way around, slightly closer to the barriers, he gets a chance of a clean-ish run.

As for the reports of spitting...successful cyclist is criticised in media by less successful cyclists shocker...
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Cavendish wasn't disqualified from the Tour of Switzerland when his aggressive riding / moving across the road caused a serious crash...
    RoyPSB wrote:
    For his lack of remore and arrogant attitude, I truly hope the rest of his tour is an absolute misery for him.
    As long as it isn't reported that he spat at the feet of those who criticised his riding, as Cavendish did.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're not a fan of Mark Cavendish.

Putting any bias aside (and admittedly I'm certainly biased towards Cav), do you think Ferrari's riding was reckless and if so, what action should be taken against him (if any)?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Jez mon wrote:

Your honestly saying Cav should have backed off in his own lane? You are clutching at straws fella. I'm not even a Cav fan, find the whole sprint thing a bit 'meh' but it is clear to anyone that Ferrari was in the wrong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Am I the only one who thinks this isn't too big a deal?

Sprinter went for gap that wasn't there, caused crash. He didn't go to cause a crash, it was just a side effect of his poor judgement. Then he's quizzed about it and accused of thing so he stands his ground and insists he's right rather than show weakness. Which is a fairly normal reaction.

Tomorrow he'll probably apologise.

It was just a racing incident. Move on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:

Sprinter went for gap that wasn't there, caused crash. He didn't go to cause a crash, it was just a side effect of his poor judgement. Then he's quizzed about it and accused of thing so he stands his ground and insists he's right rather than show weakness. Which is a fairly normal reaction.

Oh yeah, its certainly been blown up way out of proportion. But claiming it was all fine and dandy and Cav should have backed off is a different matter. There is no doubt about who was in the wrong in the minds of most of the Peloton and several expert viewers. If anybody (BikingBernie) is in doubt as to what the problem was, head over to http://www.inrng.com...
  • iainf72

Oh yeah, its certainly been blown up way out of proportion. But claiming it was all fine and dandy and Cav should have backed off is a different matter...

Sure but also thinking he should be thrown out of the race is a bit much.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:

Kelly's comments during the stage were quite interesting. He basically said that all sprinters make mistakes and cause crashes, including Cavendish and himself. And as you've said, this is what has happened today.

But as Cavendish was the rider taken out, this will go on for several pages.
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh yeah, its certainly been blown up way out of proportion. But claiming it was all fine and dandy and Cav should have backed off is a different matter...

Sure I can agree with that, lack of experience can't be helped. Part of sprinting and being a sprinter is that bad moves and accidents will occur, Cav has been at fault before as have all the other top names. Think some form of punishment is in order, probably the stick he gets for the rest of the Giro from the rest of the riders will be enough to make him want to go home. Dont think Ferrari's lack of remorse has helped, on a day of rememberance for the death of a much liked rider this time last year it certainly wasn't the best PR.
  • iainf72
    Dont think Ferrari's lack of remorse has helped, on a day of rememberance for the death of a much liked rider this time last year it certainly wasn't the best PR.

I think trying to link the 2 events is fairly tasteless. One persons lack of remorse is another's "wearing their heart on their sleeve"
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dont think Ferrari's lack of remorse has helped, on a day of rememberance for the death of a much liked rider this time last year it certainly wasn't the best PR.

I think trying to link the 2 events is fairly tasteless. One persons lack of remorse is another's "wearing their heart on their sleeve"

Maybe, but I think if you have caused a situation that has put the health of your fellow competitors at risk, it's probably best all round if you put your hands up and admit it. I imagine he would have got a lot more respect from the riders, who then wouldn't have gone on twitter and made such a big deal out of it..
  • iainf72

Maybe, but I think if you have caused a situation that has put the health of your fellow competitors at risk, it's probably best all round if you put your hands up and admit it. I imagine he would have got a lot more respect from the riders, who then wouldn't have gone on twitter and made such a big deal out of it..

Indeed. Or perhaps he's taking a page out of Cavendish's book and going to do it a day or two later.
  • LeicesterLad
    edited May 2012
    iainf72 wrote:

Indeed. Or perhaps he's taking a page out of Cavendish's book and going to do it a day or two later.

Haha, don't get me wrong, im certainly not on the 'OMG you can't touch Cav' bandwagon, far from it in fact, sprinters are arrogant, that's the way it is and i don't really care for any of them. My above comment applies to the whole peloton, not just Ferrari. I mean, theres a difference between showing weakness and acknowleding that you almost ended the leaders Giro. Think he would have gained more from apologising sooner, as is the case in all of these incidences.
  • Jez mon
    iainf72 wrote:

Other riders have been sent home for similar moves no? Renshaw and his head butt?
  • LeicesterLad
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Other riders have been sent home for similar moves no? Renshaw and his head butt?

Difference in the rules, Renshaws headbutt comes under 'Violent Conduct'. punishment is different.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Violent conduct rather than dangerous racing. Bit like giving a gentle slap in football and getting a straight red, while the full blooded studs up challenge that provoked the slap gets a yellow.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Violent conduct rather than dangerous racing. Bit like giving a gentle slap in football and getting a straight red, while the full blooded studs up challenge that provoked the slap gets a yellow.

It wasn't just the headbutt though. Renshaw almost put Farrar (?) into the barriers.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Thanks for the e-mail link to the UCI.

So..........last place. How devastating for a sprinter.

Neeeowww, hubble trouble toil and trouble
    I gaze into my crystal bubble....

Stage 4 is a TTT, but he's going to be lucky to emerge unscathed from the peloton on Stage 5.
    I'm certain that all those kind sprinters will be keen to teach him the meaning of the word 'contrite'.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No fractures then for Phinney.

From twitter:
    Doc says no fractures, still quite difficult to put pressure on it. Tomorrow is a new day! I yearn for BED. I'm just the slightest bit tired

He's going to struggle in the TTT, if he can even ride.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I had a look on an Italian cycling forum this evening to see how the incident was being discussed there, and the first comments are sarcastically critical of Ferrari's move and his subsequent statements. The posters also consider that, even without Ferrari, Cavendish might have got close but was probably already too far back to take victory.

However, when it became known that Cavendish had twittered
    "Is the team of Roberto Ferrari or the UCI going to do the right thing? Other riders, including myself, have been sent home for much less",
    then the criticism of Ferrari lessens - I suspect because the feeling is that other riders shouldn’t try to influence the race jury or another team.
    (Who remembers Ronaldo encouraging the referee to send off Rooney in the 2006 World Cup and thinks it was acceptable behaviour?)

Thereafter, forum posters write that Ferrari’s post-race statements were probably just heat of the moment, he still full of adrenalin, and that he wasn’t intentionally trying to block or force Cavendish to the right, and that being sent home is more appropriate to intentional obstruction or attack, or to repeated careless moves, not just one incidence.

When I’ve looked at the video again, I’ve wondered if, shortly before Ferrari moved to the right, Cavendish was ‘invisible’ to him. Cav was going outside, and was hidden by, a Garmin guy, up to less than 2 seconds before Ferrari moves.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    I very much enjoyed today's sprint. I have had a small on my face all day. thanks Ferrari
    :D