Giro Stage 3 *spoiler*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    I very much enjoyed today's sprint. I have had a small on my face all day. thanks Ferrari
    :D

Yes. Now you'll be able to see Cav's World Championship stripes better as he's out of the red jersey. He looks good in them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    iainf72 wrote:

Maybe, but I think if you have caused a situation that has put the health of your fellow competitors at risk, it's probably best all round if you put your hands up and admit it. I imagine he would have got a lot more respect from the riders, who then wouldn't have gone on twitter and made such a big deal out of it..

Indeed. Or perhaps he's taking a page out of Cavendish's book and going to do it a day or two later.

Tour of Switzerland anyone?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

Maybe, but I think if you have caused a situation that has put the health of your fellow competitors at risk, it's probably best all round if you put your hands up and admit it. I imagine he would have got a lot more respect from the riders, who then wouldn't have gone on twitter and made such a big deal out of it..

Indeed. Or perhaps he's taking a page out of Cavendish's book and going to do it a day or two later.

Do catch up. We've been there already. No comparison.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just watched the stage. I have no idea WTF Ferrari was thinking. What a ******* idiot. He had space on the left, so why not go that way instead of swerving to the right and having to go further to get around?

Cav had already had to check his sprint once. He was making good progress, could have won that IMHO.

Not sure if Ferrari should be booted, but a fine for riding like a tw@t is in order IMHO.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I very much enjoyed today's sprint. I have had a small on my face all day. thanks Ferrari

I'd love access to the IP logs for this forum to see who you really are...
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662

A small what? Gerbil?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • No_Ta_Doctor

A small what? Gerbil?

A pair of Cav's unwashed smalls perhaps?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662

A small what? Gerbil?

A pair of Cav's unwashed smalls perhaps?

Ewwww!

Still mystified. Small cancerous tumor? Perhaps a splotch of, *ahem* "hair gel"? Maybe he's been a judge at a dwarf-throwing contest and one of the contestants mistimed the release, so cornoyemade now has a Little Person wedged on his proboscis.

But speculation is pointless. The important part is that he enjoyed seeing people crash and be injured. Says plenty really.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    iainf72 wrote:

Besançon 2009? What goes around comes around.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Surely it's the forum's favourite pantomime villain, Ricco.

Without a doubt it is another forum poster who wheels out Cornoyemade every now and again for a bit of mischevious trolling.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    Do catch up. We've been there already. No comparison.
    Fair point, in that Ferrari's behaviour was thoughtless at best and reckless at worst, whilst the appalling crash that Cavendish caused in the Tour of Switzerland was the result of him deliberately moving across the road in order to lean on a rider who it looked like was going to beat him, which is why the whole peloton staged a protest in response to his wilfully aggressive riding. As you say, no comparison...
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Maybe it is because: "The world champion complained Sunday about a growing “lack of respect” in the peloton" (VeloNews)
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    RichN95 wrote:
    kozzo wrote:
    2006 Eneco Tour: Stefan Schumacher did the same to Hincapie to win the race...
    and it was OK for officials... this time it is not...why? because of rainbow jersey? being famous? or what?

Because that crash wasn't Schumacher's fault. He was hit by a spectators arm.

Don't make me laugh... it was just explanation of officials with no relation to reality
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    kozzo wrote:
    "The world champion complained Sunday about a growing “lack of respect” in the peloton" (VeloNews)
    The start of the fifth stage of the Tour of Switzerland was symbolically delayed by two minutes Wednesday as riders expressed their anger at the aggressive attitude of British cyclist Mark Cavendish.

..."We just want to send a message to Cavendish to ask him for more respect," said AG2R sporting director Gilles Mas, whose team rider Sebastien Hinault was elbowed by the British rider in the fourth stage.

Bystanders claimed that Cavendish responded to criticism from riders after Tuesday's incident by spitting on the ground on front of them.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... est-26610/
    Cavendish had commented following his Stage 2 win at the post-race press conference that the pure sprint stages were becoming more willing.

"Because things are changing in the peloton, there's not the respect that there used to be," he told reporters.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... rrari-move

:roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

It's an interesting puzzle. Someone who doesn't like Cavendish (there's a lot of them). The question is, would it be someone who comes across as a bit thick normally or is it someone smart enough to pretend to be a particualary stupid teenager.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Iain, I think this thread follows your theory that Cav losing creates more talk than Cav winning (or something along those lines)!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

A small what? Gerbil?

No, No. The clue is in his first sentence.
    Has to be a small woman. :wink::lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    He's going to struggle in the TTT, if he can even ride.

Let's hope he can ride.

What does he have to do in the TTT?

Can he just ride round and a still get the same time as his team? Would there be an elimination time?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72

What does he have to do in the TTT?

Can he just ride round and a still get the same time as his team? Would there be an elimination time?

Time is taken on the 5'th man to finish, but everyone is timed individually. Yes, you can get eliminated.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I'm sure it will be of great comfort to Taylor Phinney knowing that Cavendish did a move on Haussler in Switzerland. :roll:

So fine, Mr Cavendish doesn't tend to be contrite about his mistakes, how does that mitigate our Mr Ferrari :?:

Surely the point is how do you try and stop this type of incident happening again :?:

Judging by some of the comment here you would think that Cavendish was the only rider affected by Ferrari's crazy move :cry:

Question: If Phinney had sustained serious injury and missed out a large part of his season/career could some Lawyer sue Ferrari on Phinney's behalf or anyone else that crashed for that matter:?:
  • iainf72
    You can't stop this kind of thing happening.

Everyone needs to stop overreacting about this. It's a racing incident. If Ferrari had gone "oh, god, sorry everyone, my bad" this would've all ended. But he didn't so it's now a big deal.

Everyone knows sprinting is dangerous. Isn't that part of it's charm? Elbow to elbow at 60km/h, trying to find a gap, bit of barging and holding your nerve is part of it. Sometimes it goes wrong and people fall.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    iainf72 wrote:
    Time is taken on the 5'th man to finish, but everyone is timed individually. Yes, you can get eliminated.
    Am I right in thinking that to get the 5th man's time you have to finish with your team? You can't be a GC contender who can't TT (*cough*Schleck*cough*) and just trundle round within the elimination time and then pick up Cancellara & co's time?
  • iainf72
    Graeme_S wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that to get the 5th man's time you have to finish with your team? You can't be a GC contender who can't TT (*cough*Schleck*cough*) and just trundle round within the elimination time and then pick up Cancellara & co's time?

Nope. Everyone is timed individually. So if you come in 1 minute behind 5'th man, you lose a a minute.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Question: If Phinney had sustained serious injury and missed out a large part of his season/career could some Lawyer sue Ferrari on Phinney's behalf or anyone else that crashed for that matter:?:
    Now, that would open up a huge can of worms!
    Where would it stop? Cancellara's lawyers suing whoever dropped that bottle? Lawsuits against someone who falls on a descent - "Obviously Mr X was riding beyond his abilities & in reckless disreguard of his fellow riders"
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Iain's theory that when Cavendish doesn't win the spoiler threads are longer remains true.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Now, that would open up a huge can of worms!
    Where would it stop? Cancellara's lawyers suing whoever dropped that bottle? Lawsuits against someone who falls on a descent - "Obviously Mr X was riding beyond his abilities & in reckless disreguard of his fellow riders"

Yep! just what I was thinking but Phinney being American and knowing how much Lawyers can exploit a misfortune.

It's happened in other sports, Rugby for instance.

Not suggesting it's a good idea or anything.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Presumably someone's said this already, but it's a sprint finish - crashes happen!
  • Ron Stuart
    iainf72 wrote:
    You can't stop this kind of thing happening.

Everyone needs to stop overreacting about this. It's a racing incident. If Ferrari had gone "oh, god, sorry everyone, my bad" this would've all ended. But he didn't so it's now a big deal.

Everyone knows sprinting is dangerous. Isn't that part of it's charm? Elbow to elbow at 60km/h, trying to find a gap, bit of barging and holding your nerve is part of it. Sometimes it goes wrong and people fall.

Iain, I normally look up to your posts but here your wrong.

Ferrari's switching is forbidden hence he was penalised. We could talk more about appropriate penalties and consistency but not now. It's only a racing incident in as much as it happened it doesn't excuse it.

Everyone knows that F1 is dangerous and what has happened in that sport in the past is anything but charming and if your trying to suggest that that the Ferrari's crash had some sort of charm then my friend you have some sort of weird taste in entertainment. Formula One racing has done massive amounts to take "the charm" of crashes injury and death out of the sport and strangely enough it's still very popular.

No rider was penalised as a result of the corner crash the previous stage finish, why? because it was rightly deemed to be a racing incident (over cooked a corner). Ferrari was found guilty of riding like a nutter and the sport wants rid of this type of riding and rightly so.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    It's a shame the rider taken out wasn't someone other than Cavendish.

Perhaps then the observations (from both sides of the MC love/hate fence) would be a little more subjective :roll:
  • The rule which allowed Phinney to not cross the finish line under his own power - I presume that does not apply in the final stage? Abdoujaparov crash in '91 tdf comes to mind.