Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    DF33 wrote:
    Good curries though.

Wonder why that is :roll: You would have to pay me to go back there, Hateful town.

+1 for Blackpool and its vomit covered streets, went there for the sky snooker shootiut a couple of months back, it just gets muckier every year!

Wakefield has really gone down hill, full of immigrants and smackheads. The shops are just poundland/stretcher, cash converters, gold exchange shops etc.

Also Grimsby is fecking horrible
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Gateshead
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    wiffachip wrote:
    Gateshead

Agreed, an absolute dump. When they were demolishing the 'Get Carter' carpark they should have just carried on and done the whole town at the same time.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Blaenau.
    Cwmbran.
    Newport.
    S-O-T.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Truro.

Worst place I've ever been to.

Royston comes close.
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Morecambe, someone wants to tow it out into the Atlantic and let it sink.
  • wiffachip wrote:
    Gateshead

Bit rich slagging off Gateshead when your from Wallsend :lol:
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Glossop - It might be surrounded by lovley countryside on three sides, but it's a dump, I should know, I lived there for over 30 years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royston_Vasey (Hadfield)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    milleman wrote:
    Morecambe, someone wants to tow it out into the Atlantic and let it sink.

+1

I was there the other week, another town that probably had a lot going for it a number of years ago. It's now full of drug taking muggers and general scum of the earth.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Blaenau.
    Cwmbran.
    Newport.

Cwmbran's not that bad. It wouldn't make my top (or is that bottom) 10 of South Wales.

Note for whoever is keeping count, Blaenau = Ebbw Vale more or less.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    RUNCORN - who's tourist slogan reads "It's not as sh*t as Skem"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's a lot of towns people are listing that they wouldn't if they'd ever been to Swindon :lol:
    DF33 wrote:
    For Gods sake, Bradford.

The Council / government ripped the city centre out too a few years ago for... wait for it.... a marina!
    Then the recession hit and they simply put a cheap fence around most of the city centre and left it as the development couldn't be funded.

To be fair, they ripped an old really hideous retail development down in order to build a new hideous retail development but not enough big shops signed up before the recession hit. The marina wasn't a marina but a water feature that has now been built for 24 million irrc. I haven't bothered to go over to look at it because the traffic light sequences in Bradford are designed so that you take twice as long to get anywhere as you need to.

Bradford - it is really sh!t but nowhere near as sh!t as Swindon.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    They touted it as a marina for years (minus yachts of course).

They also compulsorily purchased and put shop owners into temp shops on the edge of the city centre whilst the scheme went ahead. No one realised they hadn't even secured the full funding or signed up the big guns at that stage.
    These businesses are still in temp shops and going down hill fast.

The main area has just been landscaped (mostly grassed over) until the recession is over and new funding / businesses found.
    It's all a disgrace and has left Bradford decimated. I feel for the people who live there. I know some who do, those that can afford it have / are moving out.

It has to be in the top 3 contenders of shittest places to live.
    Peter
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    I would like to nominate any of the Medway towns for general sh!tiness but in particular Chatham - home of the Chav.

Why Dover? I work there. Lovely surroundings white cliffs, Castle, Kent downs etc. The people that live there tend to be a bit on the racist side though...!
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    RichN95 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Blaenau.
    Cwmbran.
    Newport.

Cwmbran's not that bad. It wouldn't make my top (or is that bottom) 10 of South Wales.

Note for whoever is keeping count, Blaenau = Ebbw Vale more or less.

To be fair you could through a shitty blanket over most of south Wales.
    As for cities Swansea must be up there even Terry Tibbs was taken aback coming out of the train station...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2GDdNQ7E5M
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Skelmersdale
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DF33 wrote:
    It has to be in the top 3 contenders of shittest places to live.

It has the indisputable advantage over many of the contenders that, however sh1tty Bradford itself might be, it is handily close to Leeds! Which is actually how they advertised the Manningham Mills development :lol:

And the city centre of Bradford is still, however bad it might be, far far nicer than the centre of Swindon......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Got to stand up for Bradford here. Sure the city centre has some shit parts but it is improving. A couple of areas are looking quite smart now. It is known for having amazing curries, it is surrounded by the greatest cycling countryside in the UK and has some lovely parts (Saltaire, Shipley, Appley Bridge). Bradford also has some character with all the old mills and the history of the place. Yeah it is a bit of a dump but it is getting better.

There are far worse places that really have nothing going for them.

Gillingham is my vote. Absolute hole. Proven by the fact it is so bad nobody has even remembered it exists!

Oh, and Bradford is also home to the greatest football team in the world!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Port Talbot. Lovely looking place.

Port_Talbot_Steelworks_-_geograph.org.uk_-_41552.jpg
  • geoffgomez wrote:
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Slough yet.
    Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    There isn't grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!

I've got to say that I've never been there.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    Dursley - J K Rowling named the nasty family in HP after the shoothole - well done if I may say.....!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    You people are totally missing the point. Milton Keynes. That is all.

Oh, and Leigh. I wanted to add Wigan but technically that's a city.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Mouth wrote:
    I wanted to add Wigan but technically that's a city.

So is Preston, but it's still a $hithole.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Blackpool.
    Horrible town,
    Horrible Chavvy drug addled deviant inhabitants,
    A magnet for horrible, chavvy, drug addled deviant tourists
    A football team followed by horrible, Chavvy, drug addled deviants
    It stinks of sick and sh1t

And I agree, that apart from being in and around some beautiful cycling country and having the greatest football team in history, Preston is also a sh1thole.
  • cavscp
    cavscp Posts: 137
    Luton?

I'd back that!!
    Luton!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    cavscp wrote:
    Luton?

I'd back that!!
    Luton!

God yes Luton!!!!

Got stabbed there whilst managing a pub for a couple of weeks, never been back, never going back.
  • RichN95.
    DavMartinR wrote:

To be fair you could through a shitty blanket over most of south Wales.

Like I said, much of it makes Mordor look like Center Parcs.
    DavMartinR wrote:
    As for cities Swansea must be up there

Swansea's had a lot of investment and has changed a lot. It's actually fairly decent these days. (Plus their football team are the Poundstrecher Barcelona)
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    edited April 2012
    RonB wrote:
    I'm reminded of the Idler book on Crap Towns.

"It's...The...1960's Town Planners!

Gentlemen. If it looks like a bunker, smells like a bunker and allows sunlight in like a bunker: logic dictates-then-that- it is a library, or a school, hospital or town hall."

Top in that one - Hull - the gateway to Europe :shock:
    I remember that, the write up on the fine town of Kingston Upon Hull was graced by a photo of a steaming heap of human waste in a phone box. Having grown up there I have fond memories of some of the greatest cycling roads to grace this land in the surrounding countryside. Think Mega city one in reverse where the good stuff is outside the walls and the irradiated wasteland is on the inside. Frankly it's now a whole lot worse, the populace seems to have been beaten with an ugly stick and covered in shatoos, morbid obesity is the norm and wooden teeth are back, worst of all the new 'culturally diverse' division from central Europe have shot all the geese and swans from the numerous parks there and eaten them. Don't go there...by the way you can buy a house in Hull for twenty thousand.
    Hull is graced by one of the best art galleries in the country: Ferens Art gallery, a saving grace. There is or was a cocoa mill and a fish meal processing plant within smelling range of the centre. Hull smells bad, and by that I mean it smells of death, I mean I can't stress this enough it really, really stank, I've seen people vomit on the street with the wind in the right direction.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    wiffachip wrote:
    Gateshead

Bit rich slagging off Gateshead when your from Wallsend :lol:
    :shock: :D:D Second that. If you hosed the place in puss it wouldn't look any worse.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Port Talbot. Lovely looking place.

I'd let them off due to their remarkable contribution to acting (Burton, Hopkins, Sheen) and when you drive past it at night on the M4 it reminds you of the opening of Bladerunner. Utter tip though.

(Bizarrely, I've managed to get my post at the top of pages 2,3 and 4. Not on purpose, I assure you).