Shittest town in the UK?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Heysham is a lovely place too, there's no mystery to why it's a ferry port, i don't think that the roads can cope with the people trying to get out of the place.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    mallinov wrote:

Why Dover? I work there. The people that live there tend to be a bit on the racist side though...!

Yeah, they hate the English!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rigga wrote:
    mallinov wrote:

Why Dover? I work there. The people that live there tend to be a bit on the racist side though...!

Yeah, they hate the English!

:D Brilliant.
  • Walsall.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rigga wrote:
    DF33 wrote:
    Good curries though.

Wonder why that is :roll: You would have to pay me to go back there, Hateful town.

Anyone else reading between the lines and possibly making 5 from 2+2, here?

My nomination is Stockton-on-Tees. Fuck1ng shitehole!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    DF33 wrote:
    Good curries though.

Wonder why that is :roll: You would have to pay me to go back there, Hateful town.

Yes, good call. Stockton is bloody awful. They put something in the water over there certainly. My auntie is high up in the Police there, and has to deal with the same smack rats every two weeks when they are mysteriously "mugged" of all their dole money in a part of the town center that has no CCTV anywhere near it immediately after withdrawing it from the post office.

If you're ever there again go sit in the cafe in The Arc and people watch.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The thing about Swindon is this. Most of the crap towns mentioned have every reason to be crap - eg loss of industry leading to them having no real point left anymore. If you've been kicked in the teeth often enough, no amount of sticking plaster is going to make much difference.

Swindon is in the Thames corridor, a relatively short distance from London. There is money there, there is pleasant scenery around it. It should, by rights, be pretty good. But it barely even has a town centre - walk through it and you wonder if you missed a bit; only you didn't. There is nothing there to please the eye and there isn't even enough there to make you regret how it could have been (eg there are some pretty splendid buildings in Bradford even if the town planners of the 60s decided it would be a good idea to get rid of a lot of them and replace them with grim grey concrete. They are still doing this sort of thing - eg the desire to get rid of the 1930s Odeon and replace it with another shopping centre no doubt). The final straw was probably the destruction of the Great Western Railway works which is now a ghastly outlet centre - a very sad fate indeed.

Doncaster is worse than Bradford.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    DF33 wrote:
    Good curries though.

Yes, good call. Stockton is bloody awful. They put something in the water over there certainly. My auntie is high up in the Police there, and has to deal with the same smack rats every two weeks when they are mysteriously "mugged" of all their dole money in a part of the town center that has no CCTV anywhere near it immediately after withdrawing it from the post office.

I lived there for 15 months - offered a job and I wanted to get my feet in the door, so took it!

What I particularly hate, I wouldn't know where to start. The "smack rats", Zanzibar, the pubs full to the brims with p1ssed revellers as I walked home from work, the accents, the lack of anything to do, that depressing "shopping centre". I could go on and on and on and on...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Truro.

Worst place I've ever been to.

Seriously? Although technically it is a city. Lucky you didn't go near St. Austell or Redruth.

+1 on Newport

Bridgend has the highest suicide rate for a reason?
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    DF33 wrote:
    Good curries though.

I lived there for 15 months - offered a job and I wanted to get my feet in the door, so took it!

What I particularly hate, I wouldn't know where to start. The "smack rats", Zanzibar, the pubs full to the brims with p1ssed revellers as I walked home from work, the accents, the lack of anything to do, that depressing "shopping centre". I could go on and on and on and on...

Ah Zanzibar. Must be the only club that has resident Police vans on a weekend!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Morecambe? - A truly shite town, but fantastic views over the bay and great cycling nearby.
    Swindon - dull, not spectacularly shitty. Lots of much worse towns in Wiltshire - Melksham, Westbury, Warminster, Trowbridge.
    Surprised to see Nottingham suggested, although many suburbs are Champion's League shitty - including the town I grew up in, Arnold.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    I feel the East of England is under-represented in this thread.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Rolf F wrote:
    The thing about Swindon is this. Most of the crap towns mentioned have every reason to be crap - eg loss of industry leading to them having no real point left anymore. If you've been kicked in the teeth often enough, no amount of sticking plaster is going to make much difference.

Swindon is in the Thames corridor, a relatively short distance from London. There is money there, there is pleasant scenery around it. It should, by rights, be pretty good. But it barely even has a town centre - walk through it and you wonder if you missed a bit; only you didn't. There is nothing there to please the eye and there isn't even enough there to make you regret how it could have been (eg there are some pretty splendid buildings in Bradford even if the town planners of the 60s decided it would be a good idea to get rid of a lot of them and replace them with grim grey concrete. They are still doing this sort of thing - eg the desire to get rid of the 1930s Odeon and replace it with another shopping centre no doubt). The final straw was probably the destruction of the Great Western Railway works which is now a ghastly outlet centre - a very sad fate indeed.

My colleagues are doing their best to improve swindon at this moment (shouldn't be too taxing!). I still think Corby is in a league of its own in this competition though.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

My colleagues are doing their best to improve swindon at this moment (shouldn't be too taxing!). I still think Corby is in a league of its own in this competition though.

Don't know, Corby is just the Scottish equivalent of Huntingdon. Both are equally 5hi7!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I live in Bradford :(

It is a shit hole.

Apart from the fact that most of Bradford is actually ok. I live in an area called Thackley, between Saltaire and Apperley Bridge. All nice places. There are 23 pubs/drinking establishments within a 20-30 minute walk of my house, including the best named working mens club in the country, Idle Working Mens, which has a picture outside of a man leaning on a shovel.

We do have some cracking curry houses. My favourite is the Three Singhs, on Sticker Lane.

On your road bike you can be in the middle of some fantastic countryside within 15 minutes.

30 minute car ride to the Dales.

Some really good local mountain biking as well. Thackley, Calverley, Esholt, Riddlesden, Shipley Glen....and the canal connecting all of them.

The problem with Bradford is the City Centre, which is the only bit that most people see.

Oh, and please send us some money for our rugby team, (real rugby, not pretty boy, public school, too friendly in the shower rugby), who have gone bust.

Thank you.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Morecambe? - A truly shite town, but fantastic views over the bay and great cycling nearby.
    Swindon - dull, not spectacularly shitty. Lots of much worse towns in Wiltshire - Melksham, Westbury, Warminster, Trowbridge.
    Surprised to see Nottingham suggested, although many suburbs are Champion's League shitty - including the town I grew up in, Arnold.

I think Nottingham's reputation is terrible, but actually as a town, it seems fairly average. I don't have that much experience of the town's mentioned in this thread though if you want my comment on Slough, I used to visit it at least two times a week for a year as a teenager, when I played ice hockey for the Slough team, not once did I feel any desire to linger or visit anywhere but the ice rink! Admittedly it was the same when I played in Bracknell, although at lest there, the rink is further out of town.

Swindon, again I've visited the Ice Rink a few times, it was OK for a UK ice rink, but as someone who has visited most of the rinks in the south, it really isn't saying much!!

Since I've been at uni (four years now) the town I've noticed which has gone down the most in the Thames Valley, IMO is Maidenhead all the shopping has gone to Reading, and it has just slid down hill considerably.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    oh and coventry
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    anj132 wrote:
    Truro.

Seriously? Although technically it is a city. Lucky you didn't go near St. Austell or Redruth.

+1 on Newport

Just read this thread and had exactly the same thought. Of all the hundreds of shite places, Truro?? Perhaps 'Mods' are very selective with where they visit or don't have time to travel much. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Swindon is awful. I always feel as though I'm going to be robbed when I have to go there.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    alanp23 wrote:
    Are there any towns that are actually worth visiting or is that too far off-topic?

Last year, National Geographic did a top 10 list of the world's best unorthadox summer trips. One British place made it at number 6.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr ... 11-photos/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    anj132 wrote:
    Truro.

+1 on Newport

Just read this thread and had exactly the same thought. Of all the hundreds of shite places, Truro?? Perhaps 'Mods' are very selective with where they visit or don't have time to travel much. :lol:

If it's not turbo nice, why would I go? :P

Only ended up in Truro because I was cycling across Cornwall and I was doing my best Jens Voigt impression - to the point we had to stop while I threw up - right in Truro.

Having recovered, we all concluded we'd never go back. It was truro awful. (see what I did there?)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Has anyone metioned that Alsager is truly shyyyyt?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Rigga wrote:
    Also Grimsby is fecking horrible

Apart from a couple of estates and the ususal industrial wastelands, Grimsby is OK. It is suffering from losing much of its traditional livelihoods, but it is not alone there.

Terrible name, in a modern context, but Grim was a viking hero back in his day.

For positives you have the seaside of Cleethorpes on one side and the Lincolnshire Wolds on the other.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aggieboy wrote:
    anj132 wrote:
    Truro.

+1 on Newport

Only ended up in Truro because I was cycling across Cornwall and I was doing my best Jens Voigt impression - to the point we had to stop while I threw up - right in Truro.

Having recovered, we all concluded we'd never go back. It was truro awful. (see what I did there?)

No Waitrose then ?
    :D
  • rick_chasey
    Aggieboy wrote:
    anj132 wrote:
    Truro.

+1 on Newport

No Waitrose then ?
    :D

Pfft, Waitrose.

Whole Foods, Mr.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    oh and coventry
    Meh. Coventry's just average rather than being as offensively terrible as the worst offenders that have been mentioned so far.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Accidently visited Denny (it's in Scotland) last year and I must say it's a pretty miserable place.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    I was once at a charity function,and one of the ladies told me in all honesty.That her town was the back of beyond and crap.That place was Barrow in Furness.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    proto wrote:
    Accidently visited Denny (it's in Scotland) last year and I must say it's a pretty miserable place.

I can only apologise mate - Every cyclist i know try`s to avoid it.....shame you didnt go along the carron valley it`s much nicer.

Can i put forward Dundee as another Shytehole.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Bikenhead- full of dirty stinking meffs :?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'