The end result: 'Girls in... threads'

Comments

• msmancunia wrote:
    Ah I see.

Seeing as I was one of the more vocal (and female) complainants of the "Girls In..." threads, I'm probably best not even commenting, but what the hell.

I do actually feel that Bottom Bracket should stay - because it keeps the nipple count down off the rest of the site. I used to go in Cake Stop, but stopped because it got so lairy, and it shouldn't be a men-only site - that's what 99% of the rest of the internet is for, isn't it? :).

After it all blew over I stopped going in CS because I'd argued with a few guys who were incredibly misogenistic (one, to the point of PMing me and telling me I should just "go off and get myself r@ped"). It got rather nasty, and what I will say in defence of Greg, and a few others, is that he stood up for me in the thread, which very few did. I got a lot of supportive PMs (and some apologies) from guys who were a little spineless to be honest, in that they PMed rather than posting on the site, but only a few actually said on the thread "hey, this has gone a bit too far". CS is no longer a welcoming place for a girl, (and I can hold my own!) which is a shame as it used to be quite fun before it got really pervy and sexist.

I'm a girl and I work for British Cycling. I work with BMXers, Cyclocrossers, racers, hybrid riders, Bromptonites, Cyclespeedwayers, MTBers, commuters, as well as all the elite/pro lot downstairs. We all love riding bikes. We all get along. I just don't know why we can't get along on here.

Sorry to hear that cretins would send you PM's on that level, embarrased sometimes to be a man when somany of us let themselves down in that way. All of my posts are tongue in cheek, banter is ok and BB is quite lairy I don't deny it. I remember chatting to you a while ago in Commuting along with veronses (I think thats his moniker) when the cakestop/DDD thing was happening, I was dmclite2.0 then. BTW no nipples allowed in the forum, unless I'm typing in the nude (JOKE!).
    See you around, no hard feelings from us to any of you guys/girls, we are just stupid and a bit defensive at the moment I think.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ah I see.

Seeing as I was one of the more vocal (and female) complainants of the "Girls In..." threads, I'm probably best not even commenting, but what the hell.

I do actually feel that Bottom Bracket should stay - because it keeps the nipple count down off the rest of the site. I used to go in Cake Stop, but stopped because it got so lairy, and it shouldn't be a men-only site - that's what 99% of the rest of the internet is for, isn't it? :).

After it all blew over I stopped going in CS because I'd argued with a few guys who were incredibly misogenistic (one, to the point of PMing me and telling me I should just "go off and get myself r@ped"). It got rather nasty, and what I will say in defence of Greg, and a few others, is that he stood up for me in the thread, which very few did. I got a lot of supportive PMs (and some apologies) from guys who were a little spineless to be honest, in that they PMed rather than posting on the site, but only a few actually said on the thread "hey, this has gone a bit too far". CS is no longer a welcoming place for a girl, (and I can hold my own!) which is a shame as it used to be quite fun before it got really pervy and sexist.

I'm a girl and I work for British Cycling. I work with BMXers, Cyclocrossers, racers, hybrid riders, Bromptonites, Cyclespeedwayers, MTBers, commuters, as well as all the elite/pro lot downstairs. We all love riding bikes. We all get along. I just don't know why we can't get along on here.

Sorry to hear that cretins would send you PM's on that level, embarrased sometimes to be a man when somany of us let themselves down in that way. All of my posts are tongue in cheek, banter is ok and BB is quite lairy I don't deny it. I remember chatting to you a while ago in Commuting along with veronses (I think thats his moniker) when the cakestop/DDD thing was happening, I was dmclite2.0 then. BTW no nipples allowed in the forum, unless I'm typing in the nude (JOKE!).
    See you around, no hard feelings from us to any of you guys/girls, we are just stupid and a bit defensive at the moment I think.

I too am shocked that you should have received such a message. As Velonutter said, it should have been reported and the perpetrator kicked off. Does he still visit the forum or has he slinked off back under his stone?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Ballysmate wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ah I see.

I too am shocked that you should have received such a message. As Velonutter said, it should have been reported and the perpetrator kicked off. Does he still visit the forum or has he slinked off back under his stone?
    Better still, hopefully msmancunis still has the pm and will do the forum a service by reporting it. Not something I'd delete in a hurry and it's never too late.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    Yes, either forward it to the mods or post it in open forum so that the **** can be seen for what he is.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    suzyb wrote:
    I too was wondering why this thread (the one in here, I don't visit the road forum that often, too many to$$ers in even the beginners forum) had been resurrected.
    I am the one guilty of resurrecting the thread.
    I did so to highlight that the last couple of days debate was unnecessary as it has been done to death before.
    Nothing changed then and nothing will change now. I did not expect it to kick off again, merely highlight the futility.

The tone of your comment is one reason why roadies are getting all defensive. We pick on each other in BB knowing that it is banter but outsiders are simply using abusive insults. We can take it by the way and the hypocrisy is hilarious.

Regarding abusive or offensive posts in Cakestop. I would like to think that the posts and posters have been dealt with, as they should be. As I recall, it certainly hasn't happened since the storm that was "Girls In".

Moving on......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    I too was wondering why this thread (the one in here, I don't visit the road forum that often, too many to$$ers in even the beginners forum) had been resurrected.
    I did so to highlight that the last couple of days debate was unnecessary as it has been done to death before.
    Nothing changed then and nothing will change now. I did not expect it to kick off again, merely highlight the futility.

The tone of your comment is one reason why roadies are getting all defensive. We pick on each other in BB knowing that it is banter but outsiders are simply using abusive insults. We can take it by the way and the hypocrisy is hilarious.

Regarding abusive or offensive posts in Cakestop. I would like to think that the posts and posters have been dealt with, as they should be. As I recall, it certainly hasn't happened since the storm that was "Girls In".

Moving on......

I too am guilty.
    Not of breathing life into an old thread, but of apparently being a to$$er.
    Oh, the shame. :oops: :oops:
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Moving on......

That's the ironic thing about all this. I'd estimate that most of the commuters are actually roadies. We do the same things as you - race, track, sportives, etapes etc. We just ride to work too. Sometimes we even get a race out of it :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Moving on......
    The reason for my comment is because of posts made in a thread I started in the road beginners forum (this one) and some others in few other threads I've noticed over the summer.

The amount of to$$ers is a minority I admit and I have seen some quite helpful posts and members but frankly some of those comments put me off posting questions in that thread even though it is a "beginners" forum and stupid questions should be expected.

(yes I do have that thin a skin)

Also where in my post did I say that all roadies were to$$sers. I said there were too many in the road forums which is why I didn't visit / post there that often. I'm a fucking roadie myself since I don't commute by bike at all. But I stick around here because there are members that post in the road forums, that don't post here that I'd rather not have posting sarcy responses to any thread or post I write.
  • daviesee
    msmancunia wrote:
    That's the ironic thing about all this. I'd estimate that most of the commuters are actually roadies. We do the same things as you - race, track, sportives, etapes etc. We just ride to work too. Sometimes we even get a race out of it :)
    Even more ironically, I do more miles "commuting" than I do recreational.
    I do extended loops on the way home in summer.
    We are all the same really and I am sure most would get along perfectly well in person.
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Even more ironically, I do more miles "commuting" than I do recreational.
    I do extended loops on the way home in summer.
    We are all the same really and I am sure most would get along perfectly well in person.

Like ebony and ivory, together in perfect harmony? :D
  • daviesee
    suzyb wrote:
    The reason for my comment is because of posts made in a thread I started in the road beginners forum (this one) and some others in few other threads I've noticed over the summer.

The amount of to$$ers is a minority I admit and I have seen some quite helpful posts and members but frankly some of those comments put me off posting questions in that thread even though it is a "beginners" forum and stupid questions should be expected.
    Having scrawled through that thread I can see why one person (who I was completely unaware of so he must stay in Beginners) would put you off but the vast majority were helpful and some put him in his place.
    suzyb wrote:
    Also where in my post did I say that all roadies were to$$sers. I said there were too many in the road forums which is why I didn't visit / post there that often. I'm a ******* roadie myself since I don't commute by bike at all. But I stick around here because there are members that post in the road forums, that don't post here that I'd rather not have posting sarcy responses to any thread or post I write.
    You didn't say all roadies I will admit, but the inference was there.
    Quite frankly, I see as many ******* and sarcy comments in this forum as I see elsewhere.
    (Bottom Bracket and Crudcatchers exempt but they are picking on themselves and expect it.)
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Like ebony and ivory, together in perfect harmony? :D
    If youd ever heard me sing then you would know how nonsensilcal that was. :wink:
  • ballysmate
    How about this one then. We could ask the Crudcatchers and Commuters to join us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpevZ0-wUYQ
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Now chaps, I think this might have all been a little before my time here so to save wading through ten pages anyone care to give me a little summary of what going on here?

Don't want to take things off on a tangent by assuming its another 'big girls' thread :shock:

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • suzyb
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Having scrawled through that thread I can see why one person (who I was completely unaware of so he must stay in Beginners) would put you off but the vast majority were helpful and some put him in his place.
    suzyb wrote:
    Also where in my post did I say that all roadies were to$$sers. I said there were too many in the road forums which is why I didn't visit / post there that often. I'm a ******* roadie myself since I don't commute by bike at all. But I stick around here because there are members that post in the road forums, that don't post here that I'd rather not have posting sarcy responses to any thread or post I write.
    Quite frankly, I see as many ******* and sarcy comments in this forum as I see elsewhere.
    (Bottom Bracket and Crudcatchers exempt but they are picking on themselves and expect it.)
    I guess those comments are made in threads I don't read :wink:

I didn't mean to infer all roadies were to$$ers. That's what happens when I don't read over my post 5 times to decide whether I really want to post it or not :oops:
  • arran77
    suzyb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

suzyb wrote:
    I guess those comments are made in threads I don't read :wink:

I didn't mean to infer all roadies were to$$ers. That's what happens when I don't read over my post 5 times to decide whether I really want to post it or not :oops:

Don't worry, daviesee is a sensitive soul :lol:

Oh and he is a to$$er :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • msmancunia
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Yes, either forward it to the mods or post it in open forum so that the **** can be seen for what he is.

Yes, I had him *disappear* - I have friends in high places.

This place isn't actually that different from CS - just missing that slightly uncomfortable misogynistic undertone. We still talk about inane things the same way you do. We take the mickey a lot - Greg and IT Boffin are just old men trying to discover their lost youth, DDD livens things up a bit, Veronese is the voice of reason, Kieran is the one guaranteed to lower the tone, Redvee's secretly a lothario and posted something about alfresco sex and carpet burns which I'm still laughing about, everyone secretly wants to meet Suzyb's mother and father and I'm the one who drinks too much dry white wine and lives solely on chocolate. Hard to deny when I'm eating a chocolate orange for breakfast. We're just not obsessed by t!ts - well, I'm speaking for myself but at least the others are gentlemanly enough to keep it off site :)
  • ballysmate
    Arran, are you implying I'm not sensitive?
    Flounces off in fit of pique. If I had hair I would throw it back.
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    Now chaps, I think this might have all been a little before my time here so to save wading through ten pages anyone care to give me a little summary of what going on here?

Don't want to take things off on a tangent by assuming its another 'big girls' thread :shock:

:lol:
    See the threads and posts we have had for the past few days?

That. But more so.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.
  • suzyb
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

This place isn't actually that different from CS - just missing that slightly uncomfortable misogynistic undertone. We still talk about inane things the same way you do. We take the mickey a lot - Greg and IT Boffin are just old men trying to discover their lost youth, DDD livens things up a bit, Veronese is the voice of reason, Kieran is the one guaranteed to lower the tone, Redvee's secretly a lothario and posted something about alfresco sex and carpet burns which I'm still laughing about, everyone secretly wants to meet Suzyb's mother and father and I'm the one who drinks too much dry white wine and lives solely on chocolate. Hard to deny when I'm eating a chocolate orange for breakfast. We're just not obsessed by t!ts - well, I'm speaking for myself but at least the others are gentlemanly enough to keep it off site :)
    I'm going to need to visit CS more often. I thought the tone was higher than in here :wink:

And now I'm a little worried what impression of my parents I've given people.
  • msmancunia
    Relax - you just talk about them a bit - you're obviously close. :) Sounds like you have a good laugh with them.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Now that's just rude. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Why is this all being dragged up again?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ask Greg.
  • rubertoe wrote:

+1 I'm intrigued.
  • rubertoe
    daviesee wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ask Greg.

You brought it back up,

and, yes I am well aware of the "supposed war".

Its all well, a bit silly isn't it?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ask Greg.

You brought it back up,

and, yes I am well aware of the "supposed war".

Its all well, a bit silly isn't it?
    Yes. Which was my point. Too show that it had already been covered.
  • rubertoe
    it seems like stiring to me.

• arran77
    rubertoe wrote:
    it seems like stiring to me.

I think daviesee is just trying to give newer members such as me a little BikeRadar history lesson :)

seanoconn
  • rubertoe
    i'm pretty sure you can use the search and pm buttons.

This discussion has been closed.