The end result: 'Girls in... threads'

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg stop grooming the noobs you MASSHOOF perv

Did someone mention cake?
    What with you being all nicely shaved and all, and your parts being out of action to boot, today's your big day, isn't it? Did you get a nice card? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yes actually from Mrs G66 :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    MattC59 wrote:
    So, now that the smut is to be tidied away into a dark corner of the road forum, can we expect all those who said that it made Cake Stop an intimidating place to visit, to be joining in the banter and discussion over there ?

Jeez! You'd think people would be grateful for having their souls saved! :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MattC59 wrote:
    So, now that the smut is to be tidied away into a dark corner of the road forum, can we expect all those who said that it made Cake Stop an intimidating place to visit, to be joining in the banter and discussion over there ?

The question is, will the split turn Cake Stop into the equivalent of Commuting General? i.e the place nobody goes because all the interesting threads are in Chat :?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Rolf F wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

The question is, will the split turn Cake Stop into the equivalent of Commuting General? i.e the place nobody goes because all the interesting threads are in Chat :?

Yes - that was never in any doubt. All that's changed is that Cake Stop has a new name...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Rolf F wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

I think there's more in the pipeline for the road section...

Nothing confirmed.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I wouldn't hold your breath Matt. When they set up The Hub as a sensible MTB off-topic area, it was hardly inundated with overly sensitive mountain bikers. Maybe it's because we don't have many of them :wink:

BTW, cadenzaa has never posted in Crudcatcher - so far :-)

Yes, sloppy research by Greg there. I wouldn't have said Cake Stop was intimidating, it just seemed to cater for quite a narrow audience. I'm not sure putting the suggestive stuff in a locked cupboard will make it more inclusive, although maybe that'll take time. I'll certainly have a nose now and then.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    rjsterry wrote:
    I wouldn't have said Cake Stop was intimidating, it just seemed to cater for quite a narrow audience. I'm not sure putting the suggestive stuff in a locked cupboard will make it more inclusive, although maybe that'll take time. I'll certainly have a nose now and then.
    If the stuff the some people were getting all flustered by is now not in Cake Stop, there's no real reason for them to stay out of Cake Stop. If they don't start using it, then the changes will have been a bit pointless. So let's see whether the complainers do start turning up there, or whether they were just complaining for the sake of it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jonny_trousers
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    If they don't start using it, then the changes will have been a bit pointless. So let's see whether the complainers do start turning up there, or whether they were just complaining for the sake of it.

They won't. This whole campaign was based on Captain Hypocrisy accidentally stumbling upon a bandwagon and a single individual with a, at least heartfelt, campaign who doesn't really contribute to the site anyway. Sure, there was a handful of others who weren't that fussed by those type of pics, but they didn't hang out at Cake Stop either.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    If they don't start using it, then the changes will have been a bit pointless. So let's see whether the complainers do start turning up there, or whether they were just complaining for the sake of it.

They won't. This whole campaign was based on Captain Hypocrisy accidentally stumbling upon a bandwagon and a single individual with a, at least heartfelt, campaign who doesn't really contribute to the site anyway. Sure, there was a handful of others who weren't that fussed by those type of pics, but they didn't hang out at Cake Stop either.
    Exactly what I was thinking as well, but I was trying my best to be polite - after all, this is the commuting forum :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    I wouldn't have said Cake Stop was intimidating, it just seemed to cater for quite a narrow audience. I'm not sure putting the suggestive stuff in a locked cupboard will make it more inclusive, although maybe that'll take time. I'll certainly have a nose now and then.
    If the stuff the some people were getting all flustered by is now not in Cake Stop, there's no real reason for them to stay out of Cake Stop. If they don't start using it, then the changes will have been a bit pointless. So let's see whether the complainers do start turning up there, or whether they were just complaining for the sake of it.

Um, I did have a browse there today actually, and I'm one of the complainers, and a girl, and have a bike. I read about Fabrice Muamba, and read some jokes (some very funny), a few mundane observations, and something about someone's tadpoles/frogs. Didn't post anything, but as you can see from my post count I'm not a huge poster anyway. But if I feel like posting, then I will do.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    msmancunia wrote:
    Fabrice Muamba, and read some jokes (some very funny), a few mundane observations, and something about someone's tadpoles/frogs. Didn't post anything, but as you can see from my post count I'm not a huge poster anyway. But if I feel like posting, then I will do.
    Sounds like Cakestop can be disbanded. We do football (Spen will be along with a link to his blog shortly), some poor jokes and mundane stuff over here too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    Am I right in thinking that the changes proposed by the Admins haven't actually been implemented yet?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    rjsterry wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that the changes proposed by the Admins haven't actually been implemented yet?

It's a gradual process.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking as well, but I was trying my best to be polite - after all, this is the commuting forum :-)

Its a good decision and master stroke in collaboration by the admin. They've given the baby it's bottle so it will stop crying and whinging and will go back to sleep whilst not really changing anything to the content of the forums.

So the next time a cacky nappy brigade start crying and whinging and go looking for something to be offended by not only will they have to enter an area that's clearly labelled but if they continually complain against accepted content then they are only really complaining against the rules requested by themselves (even though nothing has really changed, but don't tell them that).
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Its a good decision and master stroke in collaboration by the admin. They've given the baby it's bottle so it will stop crying and whinging and will go back to sleep whilst not really changing anything to the content of the forums.

So the next time a cacky nappy brigade start crying and whinging and go looking for something to be offended by not only will they have to enter an area that's clearly labelled but if they continually complain against accepted content then they are only really complaining against the rules requested by themselves (even though nothing has really changed, but don't tell them that).

Just for the record, there's some sloppy quoting by Jonny_Trosers there - that's not my post. Also, all those saying, "Yay we won, Cake Stop hasn't changed", I think the key word is yet based on Rick's comments above.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why are these 'random' members very few have encountered or interacted with popping up and taking cheap shots now the event is over.

This ain't an opportunity to make a name for yourself.

Random prick says "Yeah I were there I were" delivered in oop north accent.

General retort "Where at t'back"?

Seriously is there a factory churning these charming fellows out?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oi. That'd better not be a dig at yours truly, me laddo.

:wink:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why are these 'random' members very few have encountered or interacted with popping up and taking cheap shots now the event is over.

Quite a few did that during the main event too.
  • Stevo_666
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They wouldn't be doing it if someone hadn't kicked all of this off in the first place :roll:

As for accusing randoms of trying to make a name for themselves, do I detect just a tiny hint of hypocrisy? You've clearly done that, but the names that you've now got probably aren't the sort that you wanted :wink:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

This is a forum to which we are all common and all are welcome. Judging people for where, when and how often they choose to post on a forum is not a measure of them but a failing of you.

Only a random prick oop north? One could get the distinct impression that they're quite common up near Oldham. :lol:

Pot - Kettle - Black.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Something self righteous that imediately ignores this.... "So the next time a cacky nappy brigade... "
    No, I'm commenting on the constructive nonsense you (and others) previously wrote. It invites a reaction in kind see.
    Only a random prick oop north? One could get the distinct impression that they're quite common up near Oldham. :lol:
    Oldham, how very unfortunate for you. :wink: It's North of London, yes? North of the Midlands yes? So from a geographical point of view - certainly in my case - it ain't wrong to be saying "oop north", no?

Pot - Kettle - Black.

Nah dude, there's only one DDD. Bespoke.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonny_trousers
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Just for the record, there's some sloppy quoting by Jonny_Trosers there - that's not my post. Also, all those saying, "Yay we won, Cake Stop hasn't changed", I think the key word is yet based on Rick's comments above.

You are quite right; my apologies! That's what comes from trying to post on web forums after a bottle and a half of red while on an iPhone.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Some of the posts in these forums over the past few weeks have confirmed - and taught me - so much.

There are some PROPER bellends knocking about.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Something self righteous that imediately ignores this.... "So the next time a cacky nappy brigade... "
    No, I'm commenting on the constructive nonsense you (and others) previously wrote. It invites a reaction in kind see.
    Oldham, how very unfortunate for you. :wink: It's North of London, yes? North of the Midlands yes? So from a geographical point of view - certainly in my case - it ain't wrong to be saying "oop north", no?

Pot - Kettle - Black.

Nah dude, there's only one DDD. Bespoke.

Thing is DDD, if you're Captain Hypocrisy (which I quite like as a super(anti)hero, but you need an outfit and a special power/weakness), then DDD must be your mild-mannered alter ego. Ummm mild-mannered aren't the first words that spring to mind. ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I missed out on the whole debate because frankly i couldn't be arsed, I come over here now and again, usally to see if Rick has posted anything interesting, but that is all.

I'm still unsure what the problem is/was, did somebody hold a gun to the heads of posters in Commuting Chat and force them to open and view the 'girls in' threads? Surely we are not beyond making our own decisions now are we? I thought the rule was if you are easily offended, don't open it? Seems like common sense to me...

PS. I occasionally pop in the 'girls in' threads for the banter, but rarely post. My missus isn't to keen on me going in there either, which is fair enough. Anyway, just sayin...
  • rjsterry
    I missed out on the whole debate because frankly i couldn't be arsed, I come over here now and again, usally to see if Rick has posted anything interesting, but that is all.

I'm still unsure what the problem is/was, did somebody hold a gun to the heads of posters in Commuting Chat and force them to open and view the 'girls in' threads? Surely we are not beyond making our own decisions now are we? I thought the rule was if you are easily offended, don't open it? Seems like common sense to me...

PS. I occasionally pop in the 'girls in' threads for the banter, but rarely post. My missus isn't to keen on me going in there either, which is fair enough. Anyway, just sayin...

At the risk of raking over it all again. the problem (for some at least) was the general impression of "Lads mag with bikes" (for want of a better description that the 5 or 6 "Girls in... " threads give Cake Stop. It's not exactly inclusive is it?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• LeicesterLad
    rjsterry wrote:

At the risk of raking over it all again. the problem (for some at least) was the general impression of "Lads mag with bikes" (for want of a better description that the 5 or 6 "Girls in... " threads give Cake Stop. It's not exactly inclusive is it?

Theres plenty of Politics related threads in there, im not sure that floats everybodies boat, therefor its not exactly inclusive either? Do all post's need to be written to include an extremely wide target audience from now on then? Just ignore the threads you don't want to read surely?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Just ignore the threads you don't want to read surely?

To be honest LL, if you are really interested in that topic, you'll find all sides of that argument have been expressed pretty comprehensively in the various threads. Don't think anyone would be furthering the some total of human knowledge by going over it again
  • LeicesterLad
    jedster wrote:
    Just ignore the threads you don't want to read surely?

To be honest LL, if you are really interested in that topic, you'll find all sides of that argument have been expressed pretty comprehensively in the various threads. Don't think anyone would be furthering the some total of human knowledge by going over it again

Was just after a summary that made any logical sense, thanks though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It says a lot about the whole debacle that it's only being discussed in Commuting Chat, There has nt been a peep about it in Cakestop...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
This discussion has been closed.