Custom painted Torque, 05 boxxers fitted

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Completed pics on page 10
Pics with Boxxers on p13

Yes another Canyon!
I've bought the frame in some 'orrid black which I'm hoping to respray in Mitsubishi Electric Blue finished with burnt gold components, white forks and wheels :twisted: I'll be chatting with a few illustrator friends and see if I can work up some custom graphics for the frame, whilst another mate can have them vinyl printed for me... It's not what you know you know!
2008-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-Blue-Side-1280x960.jpg

Some of the build will be moving over from my Ellsworth Moment, whilst the lightweight build on my hardtail will move up to the Elly. The hardtail will then become a mega cheap rigid singlespeed with some spare bits I've floating around:

Fox DHX with a Ti spring (from the Elly)
Suntour RC2 (180mm) / Marz 66RCV Evo / second hand Fox 36 float 180
Initially Avid Ultimates - will upgrade to the XT ICE tech brakes in the future
White Stans Flows on red Superstar EVO - Syntace rear end (from the Elly)
1x9 with chain tensioner
Burnt orange finishing gear - bars, post, chainring
Red Superstar pedals (from the Elly)

I'm aiming to create a lightweight freeride rig that's faster than an Intense Slopestyle downhill. Though, I'm thinking there's going to be a colour clash between my existing red components (hubs n pedals) and the burnt orange bars and chainring I'd like to mate to the blue frame... Might have to rethink the bars and post... or get some new pedals.

Pictures coming soon!

Comments

• Pfft, everyone knows red bikes are faster than blue ones, even the ones that are trying to be cars!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Nice can't wait to see the final product!!

Re: 66 RC3 Evo.... CRC are really pissing me about with it... not sure if they're even getting them in anymore!
  • bluechair84
    Hmm... I'm feeling my frame and fork budget my be stretched if something doesn't come up. SR are being a pain, the UK distributors don't stock the same forks advertised on the SR website, which aren't the same as the ones selling on CRC, which aren't the ones my LBS can get hold of... if the 66s are a no go I might have to make the Torque a single speed rigid project instead of the hardtail!
  • Will let you know... Have emailed, tried calling and sent a twitter message since I had a reply Wednesday afternoon but with no luck!

I paid for the feckers over 2 weeks ago and had nothing from CRC to say there are any issues, but I mailed a few days ago with a quick query and got a confusing email back!
  • bluechair84
    sounds odd... CRC are usually pretty good. They're listed as out of stock... hope they arrive!

You ever get to Stile Cop?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i think this could look nice. we'll see.

whatever you do don't get the suntours, they are very bad forks
  • bluechair84
    Why do you say that? The BR review wasn't great, but I've read stonking reports on other forums, whilst their team riders are doing pretty well on them (the fork placed fourth in the Mega this year).
  • jay12
    Why do you say that? The BR review wasn't great, but I've read stonking reports on other forums, whilst their team riders are doing pretty well on them (the fork placed fourth in the Mega this year).
    they feel under average and someone i know got them after reading a good review on a forum and they just started getting worse and worse and he regrets buying them now
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    jay12 wrote:
    they feel under average and someone i know got them after reading a good review on a forum and they just started getting worse and worse and he regrets buying them now
    another thing to consider regardless of make, do you really think the forks that are used by racing teams come straight out of the box?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    another thing to consider regardless of make, do you really think the forks that are used by racing teams come straight out of the box?

They do, straight out of the box, into the mechanics workshop. Witchcraft happens then the same fork emerges. (but secretly, dark things have happened.)

That or they rebadge some decent forks...

Bluechair, whats your ETA on finishing?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    good colour choice, when our kid gets home i will post a fe pics up, think you will be impressed...
  • bluechair84
    chez_m356 wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

Well.. yeah... What can you do to a set of forks? The r&d that goes in prohibits customisation of practically every component - it's either a fork, or change one part and it's a bag of chaff and oil... Change all the parts to stop that happening, you have a different fork... Maybe they change the material from say, cheese metal to shiny titanium but the Suntours are all metal construction, no plastic to go wrong. Of course, the marketing gumpf says the pro riders test ride the forks to give them feedback on the products. I seriously doubt there's some consipracy that pro riders have got alien technology being held back from us mere plebs.

Tom - ETA a month?
  • The pros test it one season, and then a few seasons later your seeing any advancements in products hitting the markets.
  • delcol
    not quite the same shade of blue but still to give you an idea..
    our kids new bike in may,
    IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg

even if he did only have it 5 days..
  • delcol wrote:
    not quite the same shade of blue but still to give you an idea..
    our kids new bike in may,
    IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg

even if he did only have it 5 days..

That's a seriously lovely bike, did it get nicked or something?
  • delcol
    nah it a long story but the gist of it ,

shock kept making funny noises. it wnet into the shop 3 times first they greased the bolts 2nd they changed the mounting hardware, 3rd time our guide jamie had noticed the rocker link was not central so we pointed this out to them,
    it ended up being a duff frame miss weld and the seattube was adrift. it was well out. should be 5cm each side but this was 2cm and 4cm the other..
    knolly had been having trouble with their north american frame builder so ended there contract and moved production out to aisia, this cost them nearly 12 month of production..

we left the frame with them the shop in may to get it warrenty replaced ,, we returned in september and hoped to get a new warrenty frame..
    how ever with the issues they had with there manufacter the new production line was not yet running (asian one) so they knolly had no frames availabe to offer up as a replacement, and will not have any deliriums till 2013 as they decided to reredesign it..
    they did offer him a used ex demo bike as a replacement but we turned it down, as they offered us no cash back with the frame. and he had paid $3000 for a new frame not a second hand one..
    so he was left with out a bike all summer may to sept then offered a sh1tty secondhand used bike as a replacement.
    we ended up getting a full refund,, so the blue beast is nomore.
  • Well.. yeah... What can you do to a set of forks? The r&d that goes in prohibits customisation of practically every component - it's either a fork, or change one part and it's a bag of chaff and oil... Change all the parts to stop that happening, you have a different fork... Maybe they change the material from say, cheese metal to shiny titanium but the Suntours are all metal construction, no plastic to go wrong. Of course, the marketing gumpf says the pro riders test ride the forks to give them feedback on the products. I seriously doubt there's some consipracy that pro riders have got alien technology being held back from us mere plebs.

Tom - ETA a month?

Yep, thats exactly what you have! RS/Sram have blackbox, Shimano has its SkunkWorks, all of which makes sooperspeshul shiny bits for its racers that mortals wont see for a few years.

a month you say? race you...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • jay12
    delcol wrote:

shock kept making funny noises. it wnet into the shop 3 times first they greased the bolts 2nd they changed the mounting hardware, 3rd time our guide jamie had noticed the rocker link was not central so we pointed this out to them,
    it ended up being a duff frame miss weld and the seattube was adrift. it was well out. should be 5cm each side but this was 2cm and 4cm the other..
    knolly had been having trouble with their north american frame builder so ended there contract and moved production out to aisia, this cost them nearly 12 month of production..

we left the frame with them the shop in may to get it warrenty replaced ,, we returned in september and hoped to get a new warrenty frame..
    how ever with the issues they had with there manufacter the new production line was not yet running (asian one) so they knolly had no frames availabe to offer up as a replacement, and will not have any deliriums till 2013 as they decided to reredesign it..
    they did offer him a used ex demo bike as a replacement but we turned it down, as they offered us no cash back with the frame. and he had paid $3000 for a new frame not a second hand one..
    so he was left with out a bike all summer may to sept then offered a sh1tty secondhand used bike as a replacement.
    thats a shame because i really like their bikes. ride great and look very nice
  • delcol wrote:

Dude that is depressing story. From what I had heard Knollys were very reliable and good build.
  • delcol
    yeah the old knolly dt he got was faultless, and knolly were a decent company.

thing seem to of gone bad for them this year, it started with the new bike the chilcotin as they were ready to go into production alot of the prototypes started cracking, as did the early production frames, this highlighted the problem with the us frame builder,
    knolly were concentrating on sorting the new chilcotin frames out as they had loads of orders,, then our kid got the delirum frame and built it up.. but as mentioned it was a shonky frame,, he loved it though while he had it...
    i guess it was just tough luck,,,
    been looking at a transition tr250 as a delirium replacement..
  • bluechair84
    I've tried posting back to this twice now... let's see if it's third time lucky...
    Agree with all above about pros being testers for latest technology, may have misread Chez and Tom thinking they were on about 'rebranding others forks for their own benefit' - essnetially they're the same forks we ride but before they're available to us.
    Delcol - real shame about such a nice bike! It's looking very similar to the colour scheme I'm after, and I like it :)
  • dude - CRC have the Domain RC (with Motion control IS) for £375.. I've changed my 66 order to these now and got them for £350 (I originally paid with a £25 off voucher).

They're actually a bit lighter than the 66 too, and I've had Domains before... great fork!
  • bluechair84
    Got back from Thailand to find a lovely large box waiting for me... guess what it was...

407458_10150445977406262_504316261_8835730_828560503_n.jpg

402865_10150445977076262_504316261_8835727_1747522473_n.jpg

400521_10150445977281262_504316261_8835728_1510553031_n.jpg

396943_10150445977326262_504316261_8835729_1093844696_n.jpg
  • That. Is. Lovely.

The carpet I mean.... Spose the bike looks ok....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • bluechair84
    We couldn't afford a new carpet so we just recycled some used toilet tissue...

Em has doodled some scribbles that caught my eye, I can see something like this over the top / down tube junction.

401737_10150445987866262_504316261_8835757_5397381_n.jpg

406651_10150445987916262_504316261_8835758_1991471753_n.jpg
  • Is that an older one then?

170mm rear travel, maxle dropouts, diferent seat tube/top tube bracing?
  • bluechair84
    Yeah I've purchased second hand, not new.

*Edit - I've taken the plunge and gone for the Suntour Durlox 180mm.
  • Ahh yeah I knew it was 2nd hand, but didn't realise it was the older one.. looks good though! I wanted black originally :(

where did you get the fork from in the end? and how much?!
  • bluechair84
    edited January 2012
    350 from CRC. It's not the new cartridge but the UK distros aren't getting those until April at the earliest. So, I'm taking the plunge and, as the new one is 50 quid more, I could probably afford to buy the new cartridge when it comes out if this one is springy.