Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

itboffin said:

itboffin said:

Which one Ugo?

KH5 tomorrow (Burton Dassett) organised By Banbury Star
    KH12 on Sunday 13th, organised by Beacon RCC
    then 19th the double header Saintbury + Dovers, an Open event organised by Solihull CC
    27th Walbury hill in Wiltshire, another Open

and it goes on... basically I've got one every weekend
    Nice work, I will try and get out to the Walbury hill event to watch only mind you, its only a couple of miles away from my house and I usually ride it a couple of times a week any that's more than enough for me, there's a huge amount of sand and gravel at the start and tons of new potholes, enjoy!
    Did it, nice hill, lovely event...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4117905613
    That's some good going the fastest i've managed is +7mins, as you say perfect tailwind on the day helps.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    edited September 2020
    itboffin said:

itboffin said:

itboffin said:

Which one Ugo?

KH5 tomorrow (Burton Dassett) organised By Banbury Star
    KH12 on Sunday 13th, organised by Beacon RCC
    then 19th the double header Saintbury + Dovers, an Open event organised by Solihull CC
    27th Walbury hill in Wiltshire, another Open

and it goes on... basically I've got one every weekend
    Nice work, I will try and get out to the Walbury hill event to watch only mind you, its only a couple of miles away from my house and I usually ride it a couple of times a week any that's more than enough for me, there's a huge amount of sand and gravel at the start and tons of new potholes, enjoy!
    Did it, nice hill, lovely event...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4117905613
    That's some good going the fastest i've managed is +7mins, as you say perfect tailwind on the day helps.
    The first five were inside the course record... probably 15-20 seconds gain due to the wind.
    On a 5-6 minute climb, you'll probably go 20-30 seconds faster in race conditions... adrenaline and all. You don't even realise it, when I look at the power curve... basically I set off at 700 Watt, but only noticed at the first left turn when I realised I had to manage my output or burn out completely before the steep section... I did manage, just. Went up the final double digit gradient on a 65 inch gear (46 x 19)... I wouldn't be able to on a normal day.
    Annoyingly, half a second would have pushed me up 3 places... so I kind of regret carrying a spare tube and pump... basically because we had to do a 5 mile loop to go back to the pavillions HQ... didn't want to chance it on 180 grams tyres... I din't puncture, so bad call!

left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    I didn’t know that climb went into double digits I thought it was a steady 8% at the steep part, ha I should know given how often I’ve been up/down it
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • They say 12%, but I think it's more like 10, for maybe 100 meters or so. It's a nice hill with great views... although I didn't stay up there for long as it was freezing cold
  • itboffin
    Wasn’t it, I rode over to Devizes across the exposed Alton Barnes no joke I had to lean in and at some points I was going 10mph, drenched in sweat by the time I arrived and then freezing cold as the farm shop has to have all the doors open for the new COVID-19 rules.

Anyway hill climbing, I’ve always been okay to good especially if it’s shortish and sharp now I’m basically super lightweight hills are almost like riding flat unless they go above 10% however instead of relishing the new found climbing ability I’m being lazy and riding hills even slower, I’m guessing because they’re so easy now I don’t have to “get it over with”.

Perhaps targeting so hill climbs might snap me out of this lazy pattern, we did a particularly long steep climb on the Saturday club ride just gone and I rode the first half lazy then kicked for the second and it was just as easy if not easier.
  • itboffin
    I should add the 20% climbs in Exmoor were horrible and I don’t think any amount of weight loss would help
  • It's fun, but it's miles ahead of Strava glory... being in the top 1% on a particular climb means maybe you finish 30th in an Open race of 60 and maybe 10th in a decent level club race of 30.

And the difference between club events and Open can be massive. The guy who won on Saturday by almost 20 seconds up a 2 minute hill, just about managed to finish 10th on Sunday in an Open.

• itboffin
    I can’t do fast one the flat anything over 20mph and I’m working really hard and cannot sustain for more than an hour or two at the most even in a group, so I pick routes with climbs where I can push on and recover at the top where we regroup, cheeky tactic but it works for me.

I see this behaviour is very much like the way I used to push heavy weights ie a few massive heavy reps for each muscle group
  • itboffin
    151.5lbs with 11% body fat this morning, stress of a painful house sale is more effective at weight loss than diet and or exercise, in fact its so stressful its starting to make me unwell.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    itboffin said:

151.5lbs with 11% body fat this morning, stress of a painful house sale is more effective at weight loss than diet and or exercise, in fact its so stressful its starting to make me unwell.

Long term solution:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • itboffin
    149lbs this morning i've called enough on at least one source of stress and taken my house off the market, i do feel a weight lifted and i forced a giant sized meal and breakfast today, i really dont need to be this thin its not healthy
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Five weeks since I last posted on this thread and the continued use of a low calorie vegan keto diet, intermittent fasting and up to 6 days a week commutes of between 25 and 50 miles a day have resulted in another big step in achieving my weight loss goals.

Chuck in a 9 day LEJOG on a cargobike too and it's been a brutal, but sadistically enjoyable last month. Who knew water could be so enjoyable? Obviously the low calorie diet went out the window in the week leading up to and throughout my LEJOG, but after a check-up by the missus, a GP, upon my return I was straight back into it.

Had to cut down on the weight training, I was trying to beast it too much and was knackering myself out, so switched to calisthenics and 20 minute HIITsessions, a bit of yoga and plenty of stretching, resulting in me passing 100lbs weight loss yesterday morning, 102lbs to be precise, only to spend most of yesterday travelling to Southampton to pick up a new car and see the eldest daughter at university, dinner and booze, so this morning I'm back at 99lbs lost. Bo**ocks!

Have now decided to crack on to getting under 210lbs by years end, with a final goal of reaching 189lbs or 10st loss by my birthday in March, although I'll probably look to be around 196lbs longer term, the weight I was at my fittest in my military days many years ago.

Now stuck in that stupid situation where none of my clothes fit me, but winter is looming around the corner, so do I buy now, or put it off for another 6 months and walk/cycle around looking like the village idiot?

Decisions, decisions :lol:
  • itboffin
    adjustable belt is my weapon of choice and well done matey keep it going
  • Brilliant Cargobike keep going image
  • pinno
    That's a helluva weight loss CB, well done.

...and here's me trying to get back up to a 'healthier' 65 kg's for winter so that the cold doesn't affect me so much.
    Currently 62.8.
  • Cargobike
    pinno said:

...and here's me trying to get back up to a 'healthier' 65 kg's for winter so that the cold doesn't affect me so much.
    Currently 62.8.

65kg!!
    My missus is 10kg more than that and she's as thin as a rake.
    She is 6'1" mind you :lol:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    elbowloh said:

................START.......TARGET......NOW.........SO FAR......TO GO......

Elbowloh.......112.2kg......95.0kg.....112.2kg......0.0kg.......17.2kg......
    I've not contributed for a long time, but back in July 2017 i had a target of getting down to 95kg, a drop of 17.2kg.

Somehow i am now down to that target.

Tbh, the last 10kgs have been due to lockdown with the changes in eating habits (work cakes, lunch out, breakfast on the way to work etc) and taking my daily exercise (mostly walks with the family) and the odd ride. I suppose the stress of furlough and redundancy also played a part!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    Cargobike said:

pinno said:

Currently 62.8.

65kg!!
    As long as I can ride uphill quicker than her.
  • Still 65.5kg... seems to be my happy place.... 2 weeks to go to the National HC championship, then I can allow myself to get to the dizzy highs of 66kg :D
  • itboffin

Still 65.5kg... seems to be my happy place.... 2 weeks to go to the National HC championship, then I can allow myself to get to the dizzy highs of 66kg :D

Well done on the Walbury climb i might pop out this week and give it a little go sans gale force tailwind
  • Cargobike
    pinno said:

Cargobike said:

pinno said:

Currently 62.8.

65kg!!
    As long as I can ride uphill quicker than her.
    Goes without saying.
    The only time the missus attempts hills is if sat astride a horse.

Not a chance she'd be seen on a bicycle.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited September 2021
    F**K, we're meant to be losing it, right, not putting it on :s
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    Does it help if I Tell you I’m 34lbs lighter than when I started this thread, in between which I’ve been 50lbs heavier than I am today 😉
  • itboffin said:

Does it help if I Tell you I’m 34lbs lighter than when I started this thread, in between which I’ve been 50lbs heavier than I am today 😉

No?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin said:

BTW, I am back doing Walbury HC on Sunday... no.36 starting at 9:36... headwind this time, so unlikely to go under 5 minutes
  • pinno
    edited September 2021
    Lots of pedalling me and i'm now 62.5 kg's.

I shall now have my cake and eat lots of it. I need to put on at least 2.5kg's to add some insulation for the colder months.
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

BTW, I am back doing Walbury HC on Sunday... no.36 starting at 9:36... headwind this time, so unlikely to go under 5 minutes
    Ah right i wasnt aware it was this Sunday i will try and pop over, in fact had i know i'd have entered myself, i've been riding that hill lots since COVID and i do mean lots.
  • itboffin said:

itboffin said:

Ah right i wasnt aware it was this Sunday i will try and pop over, in fact had i know i'd have entered myself, i've been riding that hill lots since COVID and i do mean lots.
    Was a good day, if a bit slow due to the southerly wind... managed 12th, which is not pants!

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Thread resurection time. Yet again I crept up over 100kg. Lke to get to 90kg by RL100 at the end of May but 1 goal at a time. Made a good start to the year so far

Name Start Target Now So Far To Go
    Tashman 104.7kg 95kg 99.6kg 5.1kg 4.6kg

• Bit heavier than over the racing season last autumn, but don't feel fatter and it seems my power output is up 15 W at threshold... so I might have built some muscle with all that work on Rouvy... need to measure my thighs girth..

Name Start Target Now So Far To Go
    Tashman 104.7kg 95kg 99.6kg 5.1kg 4.6kg
    Ugo S. 67.5 64 67.5 0 3.5