Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    My weight has increased slightly (1kg) since WFH for two weeks. I'm quite able to replicate the office diet at home, but not so able to put in the 1hr each way cycle or 45 mins each way walk (when I take the train). My waistline has also expanded from 95 to 100cm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Winners and losers of the lockdown...
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I’ve gained 4lbs but now find headwind a little less killer I’m not sure if that’s the extra hours on the bike or having more weight to push through it.

Today being the exception
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin said:

I’ve gained 4lbs but now find headwind a little less killer I’m not sure if that’s the extra hours on the bike or having more weight to push through it.

Today being the exception

The wind has dropped... today being the exception
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

I was eating a lot sxxt at work... biscuits, cake... now I don't

This. Avoiding the bonk on the return commute meant I ate too much and not well enough.

WFH means I can get better quality food and exercise.

Having been up to 72kg I'm now back at 68kg.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ugo.santalucia
    asprilla said:

I was eating a lot sxxt at work... biscuits, cake... now I don't

This. Avoiding the bonk on the return commute meant I ate too much and not well enough.

WFH means I can get better quality food and exercise.

Having been up to 72kg I'm now back at 68kg.
    Yes, it's exactly that... I was always trying to eat only the food I brought from home, but then I was regularly starving at 2 PM and going for some junk at the canteen (chips) or a chocolate bar... that on top of the 10:30 tea and biscuits with colleagues... sometimes 5 or 6 chocolate digestives.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    My 13 yr old has just made a Swiss roll, apparently it needs to be eaten when it's warm.

Must get out for a ride today!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,069
    mrfpb said:

My 13 yr old has just made a Swiss roll, apparently it needs to be eaten when it's warm.

I have to get out for a ride today!

FTFY
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    If I don't exercise, I tend not to be hungry.

Homelife is currently a routine of schoolwork with the girls, some pottering with an old banger and going out on my bike has taken a hit seen as the rest if casa Pinno get uppity that they're stuck in and i'm off 'enjoying the freedom'. Such is in-house politics.
    So i'm 64kg's - that's uphill conducive weight but not the fitness to go with it.

Oh and biscuits are rationed and you're limited to how many bananas you can buy through online shopping. B*stards.
  • ugo.santalucia
    68.9 kg this morning, so about 4 kg down to pre-Covid times... WTF can we not WFH all the time? Such a healthier lifestyle!
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    couple of pound a week for me eating habits still the same just extra mileage is going in down to roughly 108kg feel lots fitter as well
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,473
    3kg off from pre-covid for me too. WFH means I'm not grabbing sweets and snacks walking past the shop. Also getting out regularly for a ride now with improved weather. Not having an hour long drive means I can use that time to ride instead if we're not on a family exercise walk.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

68.9 kg this morning, so about 4 kg down to pre-Covid times... WTF can we not WFH all the time? Such a healthier lifestyle!

Yep. I'm losing weight too. I'm not over exercising any more so I am now eating the right amount of home cooked food instead of stuffing my face all the time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    Shut it all of you :s
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin said:

That's the problem with the bottle... WFH or not makes no difference... or it makes it worse... :D

Yesterday they came to collect the recycling... ours is mainly paper, cardboard and a bit of plastic, maybe the odd jar or metal tin, but the neighbours... oh man, you can hear the roar of glass smashing in the truck from the end of the street!
    Last time we went for a walk on a recycling collection day, I spotted a box completely full of squashed cans of Old Speckled Hen... must have been at least 50 of them, possibly more
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Don't dare weigh myself. In addition to working from home I have also knackered my ankle.

And yeah, my next door neighbours are keeping glass manufacturers in business!
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

That's the problem with the bottle... WFH or not makes no difference... or it makes it worse... :D

Yesterday they came to collect the recycling... ours is mainly paper, cardboard and a bit of plastic, maybe the odd jar or metal tin, but the neighbours... oh man, you can hear the roar of glass smashing in the truck from the end of the street!
    Last time we went for a walk on a recycling collection day, I spotted a box completely full of squashed cans of Old Speckled Hen... must have been at least 50 of them, possibly more
    Speckled hen yuck
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    denis992 said:

Don't dare weigh myself. In addition to working from home I have also knackered my ankle.

And yeah, my next door neighbours are keeping glass manufacturers in business!

Having ruptured my ACL early last year and suffered a failed reconstruction last summer I'd spent far too much consoling myself with huge quantities of booze through to the start of the New Year.
    A change of attitude since January has seen my weight drop substantially, helped by the present Covid-19 crisis as I have no desire to share public transport on my regular commutes around the Midlands and North West.
    Currently just over halfway to my goal of shifting one third of my weight thanks to commutes of up to 75 miles at a time.
    Off to Manchester in a bit from the office in Derby, a scenic plod over the Peak District. Luckily, I'm not coming home again until tomorrow :D
  • pinno
    If I lost one third of my weight, I would be skeletal.
  • ugo.santalucia
    66.9kg, so that's a stone down from pre-lockdown... after ten long years of being dropped, I managed to drop a friend up a cat. 4 climb... vendetta is served...
  • pinno
    66.9?! You fat git :)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029

66.9kg, so that's a stone down from pre-lockdown... after ten long years of being dropped, I managed to drop a friend up a cat. 4 climb... vendetta is served...

Your friend was sandbagging. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    I’ve hit my target weight today as well of 166lbs I’m going to reset it to 160lbs anything less and I’d look unwell
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2020

Your friend was sandbagging. :wink:
    He did his PB by almost 20 seconds... but wasn't enough... :o I'm now 16th in my age group on one of the "100 climbs"... quite pleased...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3606531743/
  • itboffin
    Dropped 3lbs in two days, that’s not right :'(
  • pinno
    itboffin said:

You okay hun?
  • itboffin
    pinno said:

itboffin said:

You okay hun?
    Nope
  • pinno

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    This WFH lark is not good for me. I can't get into my office trousers!

Complete lack of "proper" exercise rather than pootling about on bikes with the kid where the HR hardly goes above 110, even if the stress level goes through the roof instead because just trying to cycle to the park means dealing with t0ssers behind the wheel. I have typically been doing the 30min + exercise a day, but it's just not as cardio intensive (walking the dog etc)

I've always felt guilty about the time riding to work compared to driving it, even if it's only 15 minutes slower (+ shower) each day, but this really highlights it's need.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    weight is steady at 163.5lbs for nearly two weeks now and i've reintroduced beer to the diet, on just one medium sized meal a day and one or two coffees.

Trouble is i have zero stamina right now, two hours on the bike and i'm crawling home, oddly my power is much the same.