Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    66.8 kg and the other day I did 4 minutes at 350 Watt... at my age I am burning the candle twice as fast... and loving every minute... B)
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    having had my fill of windy overcast rides of recent I hit the turbo today and even with the fan on it felt like cycling underwater in a hot bath really unpleasant, 23C and 85% humidity outside so god only know what my garage was, too much for me anyway.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Dropped another almost 4lbs :/ this is getting silly now, i've not been this light since my twenties.

I also managed to ride for over 30 mins in HR zone 5 with over 5 mins at 202 BPM before i had to stop and pull over to rest, puke or pass out, I felt super wobbly for a good few hours afterwards
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,069
    I bet you did.

Now apparently, peak heart rate is 220 minus your age.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • itboffin
    pinno said:

I bet you did.

Now apparently, peak heart rate is 220 minus your age.

My max had been very settled at 198 for a good long time but again I’m frequently going over 200 I even managed 212 for 11secs this week, I wonder if it’s related to my weight loss
  • ugo.santalucia
    Generally, HR is a function of heart efficiency as a pump and blood volume... the highest HR number doesn't tell much, the resting pulse is a more interesting number. Measure that and come back with a number.
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Its interesting going back over the last years garmin stats for resting heart rate and tying up the numbers with levels of exercise/performance. A definite correlation between cycling wattage and lower resting heart rate.
  • pinno
    Oh yeah, Big Mig's resting HR was 34 or something silly like that.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I went back to work last week. As it happens, I bought some new work clothes before lockdown. The trousers turned out to be suprisingly tight. I'm about 5kg above my preferred weight - which is a few kg above my "ideal" weight.

It's the first time I've been consitently above 25 BMI (approx 74kg) for quite a while. My waistline has spread by few cm as well.

On the topic of heart rate, my shiny new wrist based HR activity tracker says 52 average when awake and 42-47 typical range when asleep. Not tested my max for years - it was 196.
  • itboffin

Generally, HR is a function of heart efficiency as a pump and blood volume... the highest HR number doesn't tell much, the resting pulse is a more interesting number. Measure that and come back with a number.

It’s been as low as 58 recent but more like 65 which considering for more than 15 years it was 90+ which could also have been the very crap various Garmin watches
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin said:

It’s been as low as 58 recent but more like 65 which considering for more than 15 years it was 90+ which could also have been the very censored various Garmin watches
    It's quite high for an active person... you really should give this "give up drinking" some thought.
    It's not that bad... I haven't touched alcohol since before Christmas, with one exception in February, the last time we went out for a meal. Today we are going for a pub lunch and I am not even looking forward to having a pint, I'll probably have a lime and soda if it's hot or a coffee if it's cold... it's a fairly easy addiction to get rid of, to be honest... and most likely the best investment you could ever do on yourself
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

It’s been as low as 58 recent but more like 65 which considering for more than 15 years it was 90+ which could also have been the very censored various Garmin watches
    It's quite high for an active person... you really should give this "give up drinking" some thought.
    It's not that bad... I haven't touched alcohol since before Christmas, with one exception in February, the last time we went out for a meal. Today we are going for a pub lunch and I am not even looking forward to having a pint, I'll probably have a lime and soda if it's hot or a coffee if it's cold... it's a fairly easy addiction to get rid of, to be honest... and most likely the best investment you could ever do on yourself
    Yep gave up drinking for a while and it made no difference. Cutting down coffee from +10 to just 2 has had the most effect.
  • itboffin
    159lbs 15.2% fat :/
  • pinno
    I hardly drink and i've limited myself to 1 coffee per day.
    I guess that's why i'm 64kg's :)

• itboffin
    Still 159lbs but 14% body fat and starting to go faster on the flat and up hill, time to start upping distances
  • pinno
    63 kg's me*. Time to start upping the cakes.

*Unless the battery is flat. Though I did climb Ben Loy nr Fort William and done a lot of extra activities what with lockdown and kids to burn energy.
  • itboffin
    pinno said:

63 kg's me*. Time to start upping the cakes.

*Unless the battery is flat. Though I did climb Ben Loy nr Fort William and done a lot of extra activities what with lockdown and kids to burn energy.

I know right I had to force a proper dinner down today which. Couldn’t finish all of it, I’ve noticed that my new one meal a day diet is limiting the distances can ride at any decent speed but not my Z1 and 2 I can do those over 100 miles easy, my aim now is 154lbs by mid August for my trip, what I’ve noticed from doing lots of short fast rides and super slow long rides is I’ve forgotten how to eat on the bike.
  • pinno
    I'm glad you're more active ITB - does that mean your neck is stable?

I'm lucky in that if I don't pedal much, i'm not hungry. When I pedal a lot, I have to balance my pesky under active thyroid.
  • itboffin
    pinno said:

I'm glad you're more active ITB - does that mean your neck is stable?

I'm lucky in that if I don't pedal much, i'm not hungry. When I pedal a lot, I have to balance my pesky under active thyroid.

Thanks and yes the more weight I lose the better my neck is which is odd because the damage to my spin is clear from my MRI scans and yes I’m not hungry now which is weird I have to make myself eat. I think this much more than going through divorce and selling the family home, I almost think it’s my age again when I was young putting on muscle weight took really effort, middle age which I’m very much leaving behind putting on fat was easy now I’m getting official old I need to work on maintaining a healthy weight.

I still cannot believe when I moved to Windshire in 2007 I was 200lbs ☠️
  • ugo.santalucia
    yes, you were a huge fuxxer...
  • pinno
    Nice link that 'who's at the wheel' - i'll sit down and read some of that stuff later.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    Having dropped from ~83.7Kg in October '19 to ~75.7Kg in Feb '20, as the cycling reduced due to prolonged mild Covid without a suitable decrease in hot cross buns (eaten cold) and chocolate raisins consumption, I went back up to ~79.5Kg.

Was quite happy to see 78.4Kg on the Salter digital scales this morning, until I then ran the more detailed check and found I was now allegedly 10.6% fat (9.9% in Feb) and 58.4% water (up to ~59.5% is normal reading for me on these scales).

Hope my sugar cravings aren't going to kick in during the next few weeks, as I've just had an abscess on my back drained and getting hot and sweaty won't assist healing.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    pinno said:

Nice link that 'who's at the wheel' - i'll sit down and read some of that stuff later.

Haven't written anything in almost 2 years... Maybe I'll write something about my mediocre TT/HC season in autumn... :)
  • itboffin
    i think my weight loss it a bit out of control now, i've lost my appetite completely but sticking to eating just one large meal a day.

In Jan-Feb i peaked at 178.5lbs after a work/family holiday yesterday i was 156lbs almost all of that fell off mid June until now, my cycling kit doesnt fit and i'm starting to look unhealthy.
  • pinno
    itboffin said:

i think my weight loss it a bit out of control now, i've lost my appetite completely but sticking to eating just one large meal a day.

In Jan-Feb i peaked at 178.5lbs after a work/family holiday yesterday i was 156lbs almost all of that fell off mid June until now, my cycling kit doesnt fit and i'm starting to look unhealthy.

Well eat more you twit.

Seriously mate, are you sure that you have no underlying health issues? You've lost over 9kg's. That's 1.5 kg's per month.
    71kg's is healthy for... how tall are you?
  • itboffin
    I’ve gained 10Lbs in 10 days by eating three cooked meals a day whilst cycling 5000-7000ft of ascent a day in first north wales (Snowdonia) the Black mountains in Brecon Beacons and today Exmoor, so so many hills. I guess once a few days have passed I’ll return to something about 158 mark which is where I’d like to stay.
  • pinno
    itboffin said:

...by eating three cooked meals a day...

Yay!

• itboffin
    Back home and back down to 155lbs I see a pattern here
  • pinno
    itboffin said:

...155lbs ...

Boo!

• itboffin
    154 this morning and 13% body fat :|