Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    When your scales say "err", is that a bad sign?

Nah it's when they say "get off fatty" you need to worry
    The voice of experience?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    This weight loss thing is weird, eat normal to large and loose weight eat less gain weight?!? :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    This thread is useless without height! or at least BMI :D Not that BMI counts for much really

I am in

Current 185lbs 5ft 10" Aim 167lbs by the summer (11s.13lbs) Don't know how to up date the chart, sorry

I have done 51 lbs this year so might be a bit tough going much further, My Christmas pressie to myself was a pair of 32" "Loose Fit" jeans, and they are just that loose which was great!!
    Well never did put myself in the charts but I am closing in on that target, 171lbs this morning and ordered a pair of 30" loose fits. Pleased with that, definitely cannot be called lard ars* anymore.

Spooky same as the number of your posts, it's a sign that you should treat yourself to a NEW BIKE!
    wow that is spooky, I am off to the Trek Project One and will click the button on my saved Domane!!
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    When your scales say "err", is that a bad sign?

Mine often do this recently... but only when trying to work out the body fat/etc thingy, the weight reading is OK... I think the battery is going... must be 5y or so since I bought them...

been 67.7kg for a couple of weeks now after a bit of an up n down period which saw 71kg again :( (ok it was a particularly busy weekend!)
    Well last few days I've been 66.9kg so that seems to have stuck now :)

Onwards and downwards... 1.9kg to go...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    2lb on must be muscle :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    NAME           START     TARGET     NOW     SO FAR     TO GO
    Allez Mark     217lb     196lb     203lb    -14lb       7lb
                   15.5st    14st      14.5st   -1st       0.5st

I haven't been this light for a couple of years.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    For some reason I put on a stone and half between the accident and getting back from JOG 8 days ago. Almost a stone of that while cycling to 600 miles in 8 days to JOG, might have something to do with Pies. Fortunately half a stone has dropped off very quickly but I'm now just above where I started the year. Think I might take up running....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    ate like a pig and drank loads at the weekend also had 4 days off the bike and today ...? commute both ways easy without trying never got out of the big ring and I've gained 0lbs

Er how the hell does that work?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    This weight loss thing is weird, eat normal to large and loose weight eat less gain weight?!? :?

Yep once again this week, eat more drink more and loose weight
    NAME                START      TARGET     NOW        SO FAR   TO GO
    itboffin            184lb      164lb      170.5lb    13.5lb   6.5lb

My target might have been a bit ambitious :(
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    so ditching the scales hasn't worked for me... without a daily check I just eat until I feel obese. Have put on about 5lbs since putting them in the cupboard. No wonder I've been struggling on the hills. :oops:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - I'm confused as hell. Waist is 2-2.5" thinner but weight has barely changed. Would like to think I've traded it for muscle but think that's unlikely despite being on a high-protein diet. Commuted 200 miles in a week - nothing! Then, had a week on holiday, eating plenty of pizza (I was in Italy after all) - come back and I'm a kilo lighter :?

One thing I hadn't realised is how much water is related to glycogen storage (3g of water to every 1g of glycogen) which is one of the reasons calorie deficit diets have such an early effect - deplete glycogen and lose the associated water. All the more reason though why I should have gained weight on holiday - after 200 commuting miles I should have been glycogen depleted.

None of it makes much sense.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I haven't been in on this but some forced time off the bike since mid april (till earlier last month) has meant I gained 7 pounds over my "normal" weight of 11 and a half stone, it's coming down slowly and so is my waist where it all seems to collect.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    NAME           START     TARGET     NOW     SO FAR     TO GO
    Allez Mark     217lb     196lb     199lb    -18lb       3lb
                   15.5st    14st      14.2st   -1.3st      0.2st

Losing the last 3lb could be a struggle. I can't remember the last time I was this weight. If only we'd had some decent weather, I would have put more miles in. My weight loss is definitely down to diet.
  • clarkey cat
    cracking job Mark!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering this. I've been dieting pretty hardcore for the last two weeks, I feel like I've lost weight, I look like I've lost weight, yet the bathroom scales say I've dropped a magnificent 0.2kg!!! I just wish I could stop myself stepping on them in the mornings.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering this. I've been dieting pretty hardcore for the last two weeks, I feel like I've lost weight, I look like I've lost weight, yet the bathroom scales say I've dropped a magnificent 0.2kg!!! I just wish I could stop myself stepping on them in the mornings.

Yup - I stupidly hope for a breakthrough when the scales finally realise what's happened and give the correct number....

If I have to buy new trousers every time I lose another 1 or 2kg, I'm going to give up this weight loss. Besides that, I'll have a 26" waist and still weigh over 80kg!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    What you need is elasticated trousers simples!
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    ..................START.........TARGET..........NOW.........SO FAR.........TO GO

Woodnut...........75kgs.........69kgs...........71kgs.......4kgs............2kgs

Mostly down to pushing myself instead of pootling. Still eating too much choc and drinking too much...... :roll:

I managed to give up smoking a few years ago, so biscuits should be easy
  • cush123
    cush123 Posts: 75
    NAME             HEIGHT  START      TARGET     NOW        SO FAR   TO GO
    Cush123          1.85m   93kg       82kg       86.9kg     6.1kg    4.9kg

Starting LEJOG next Friday so hopefully lose a couple of KGs with 9 days continuous pedalling.
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    Confession time:
    NAME           START     TARGET     NOW      SO FAR    TO GO
    twoshots       212lb     182lb      198lb    -14lb     16lb

Still on less than 100 miles per week, waiting patiently for the sunshine to increase that number. I reckon I am capped around 130 miles by work and family commitments. Still, I'd like to see a 550 mile month before the summer is over. The clock is ticking though.

My nerdy spreadsheet says I'll have paid off all riding gear through commuting by then end of the year. At least if I can keep my fingers away from..more..shiney..things... :mrgreen:
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    NAME           HEIGHT  START        TARGET        NOW         SO FAR      TO GO
                Agent57                  13st 9lb     11st 11lb     13st 10lb  -1lb         1st 13lb
                Allez Mark       1.86m   217lb        196lb         205lb       12lb         9lb
                Anomymousblackfg 1.86m   92kg         82kg          92kg        0kg         10kg
                Asprilla                 72kg         65kg          74.5kg      -2.5kg      9.5kg
                cib                      88kg         81kg          88kg        0kg         7kg
                clarkey cat      1.86m   200lbs       185lbs        194lbs      6lbs        9lb
                Cush123                  93kg         82kg          89.6kg      3.4kg       7.6kg
                cyclingprop              119kg        105kg*        119kg       0kg         14kg
                Dodgerdog                82kg         75kg          81.6kg      0.4kg       6.6kg
                Domgears         1.80m   106.5kg      85kg          90.5kg      16kg       5.5kg
                Dog Breath       1.75m   75kg         68kg          73.0kg      2.0kg       5.0kg
                Initialised      1.8m    93kg         83kg          93kg       +0kg         10kg
                IP                       74kg         69kg          70.4kg      3.6kg       1.4kg
                itboffin                 184lb        164lb         179.7lb     4.3lb       15.7lb
                JT                       89kg         83kg          85.5kg      3.5kg       2.5kg
                JZed             1.94m   108kg        95kg          94kg        14kg         -1kg
                KateF                    64kg         58kg          64kg        0kg         6kg
                keyser__soze    1.84m    87kg         81kg          84.8kg      2.2kg       3.8kg
                Leodis75                 93kg         76kg          93kg        0kg         17kg
                meanredspider            95kg         85kg          95kg        0kg         10kg
                mkirby                   99kg         85kg          99kg        0kg         14kg
                MsMancunia               73kg         59kg          73kg        0kg         14kg
                Mudcow007        1.87m   113kg        15St          112kg       1kg         10kg
                ngale                    13st 10lb    9st 6lb       13st 10lb   0lb         4st 4lb
                OptimisticBiker  1.70m   69kg         65kg          69kg        0kg         4kg
                Phy2sll2         1.77m   66kg         58kg          63kg        3kg         5kg
                Roger Merriman   6ft     13st 3lb     12st 10lb     13st 1lb   2lb         6lb
                Sketchley                117kg        95kg          115kg       2kg         20kg
                Stevo 666        1.77m   72kg         67kg          70kg        2kg         3kg
                Tabh                     125kg        108kg         125kg       0kg         17kg
                TailWindHome             86kg         75kg          86kg        0kg         11kg
                TheStone         1.85m   93kg         85.5kg        92.5kg      0.5kg       7kg
                ToeKnee          1.89m   96kg         86kg          94.5kg      1.5kg       8.5kg
                Welkman          1.91m   15st 12lb    13st          13st 13lb    27lb         13lb
                WesternWay               106kg        85kg          106kg       0kg         21kg
                Wineboar                 122kg        100kg         118.8kg     3.2kg       18.8kg
                Woodnut                  75kg         69kg          75kg        0kg         6kg

• 69kg start, target 65kg, ballooned to 73kg :(, now only another 0.9kg to go... :) that is all...
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    itboffin wrote:
    ate like a pig and drank loads at the weekend also had 4 days off the bike and today ...? commute both ways easy without trying never got out of the big ring and I've gained 0lbs

My understanding is if you are on too heavy a calorie deficit (With high intensity exercise) then your body usually responds by holding onto fat stores kind of like survival mode. Could be something like that.

My weight has gone up and down. It went up about 1 1/2 years ago due to various reasons. On its way back down now. For me I do not use scales. I go by how I look in the mirror and how my cloths fit.

I do not really drink very much anymore and have never been a big drinker, I do not smoke and my diet for the most part is fairly clean. There are obviously naughty things because I just wouldnt stick to a completely strict diet either. It is working well for me dropping a bit of weight each week :)

I find if I cycle a lot and don't keep the calorie intake up I am tired, grumpy and get ill easily.
  • twist83 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

My understanding is if you are on too heavy a calorie deficit (With high intensity exercise) then your body usually responds by holding onto fat stores kind of like survival mode. Could be something like that.

This is certainly what the Men's Health lot used to say. I never really believed it, but as this is the first time I have tried to lose weight without weight lifting (and doing a fair amount of aerobic exercise through cycling), and I've found it a real struggle, there may well be something in it.
    I find if I cycle a lot and don't keep the calorie intake up I am tired, grumpy and get ill easily.

You and me both. I seem to have hit a plateaux at 84.6kg precisely, but I'm no longer beating myself up about it. I've shed a lot on what I had at the beginning of the year, I look ok and I'll just let whatever else wants to come off happen through general healthy eating and exercise. I may join the gym again too.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Well, here's my offering, a little way to go, but getting there.
    ................START.........TARGET..........NOW..........SO FAR.........TO GO     ...............188lbs........168lbs..........177lbs.......20lbs..........9lbs

achieved mainly through drinking less cider, and a little more excersise.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • clarkey cat
    I was doing quite well and then took my eye off the ball massively... went up by 9lbs.

Lost 5lbs of that now but jeez amazing how much plank you put on if youre not careful.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    twist83 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

This is certainly what the Men's Health lot used to say. I never really believed it, but as this is the first time I have tried to lose weight without weight lifting (and doing a fair amount of aerobic exercise through cycling), and I've found it a real struggle, there may well be something in it.

You and me both. I seem to have hit a plateaux at 84.6kg precisely, but I'm no longer beating myself up about it. I've shed a lot on what I had at the beginning of the year, I look ok and I'll just let whatever else wants to come off happen through general healthy eating and exercise. I may join the gym again too.

Same as me with regards to letting it happen bit by bit. The key is maintaining it and massive calorie deficit diets just are not able to be kept up for massive periods. Plus if you want to improve performance it doesnt really happen compare to eating well.

As for the Mens Health this was my understanding but probably way off the Mark..... Lots of factors involved both mental and physical I suspect. Water retention at different times of the day etc.

Find something that works for you and stick to it. It is damn easy to put Plank on. MY problem was meeting a new woman and we ate out a LOT to start with. That does not help. She also rides as well and that has been a massive motivator for me to get out more. Although she can eat what she wants and still has a washboard stomach :(
  • clarkey cat
    get her preggers mate... that'll screw her abs up.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    NAME                     START      TARGET     NOW        SO FAR   TO GO
    itboffin                 184lb      164lb      172.0lb    12lb     8lb
    itboffin                 184lb      164lb      183.4lb    .6lb     HELL

Oh damn it that week in the sarf of France hasnt helped my cause :?
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    NAME                     START      TARGET     NOW        SO FAR   TO GO
    itboffin                 184lb      164lb      172.0lb    12lb     8lb
    itboffin                 184lb      164lb      183.4lb    .6lb     HELL

Oh damn it that week in the sarf of France hasnt helped my cause :?

11lb is an awful lot to put on in a week.... :(, thats 2900 calories unburnt a day (over your normal metabolic usage), were you not exercising at all???