Silly Commuter Weight Loss

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    JZed wrote:
    15 stone 6 lbs brings total loss to 22 lbs. 6 to go (may even try and lose 1/2 stone more). Then start eating more and training more to build up the power for June/July.

You are going well . . .

What's your calorie intake a day?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Greg T wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    15 stone 6 lbs brings total loss to 22 lbs. 6 to go (may even try and lose 1/2 stone more). Then start eating more and training more to build up the power for June/July.

You are going well . . .

What's your calorie intake a day?

2 lettuce leaves - feels like that anyway.

Monday - Friday calorie intake of 1,500 to 2,000 with an hours cycling, means I'm running a deficit of around 1,000 a day. Saturday-Sunday I am less controlled.

Biggest difference is less beer, no cakes biscuits during the day.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    JZed, noticed any pickup in performance on the bike now you're 10kg lighter?
  • yoyoing like a barsteward but back in the zone where your cycle shorts don't do annoying things with flabby belleh folds when you're hunched over.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jzed

None. But then again didn't expect any. With the big deficit, I just don't have the energy. This is the first stage of my master plan for summer.

Weight loss whilst weather is rubbish. Target 15%
    Then start to increase the calorie intake and training. Increase power by 5-10% over last year through a more focused regime including suffer sessions on the turbo. Keep the weight off.
    Get a lighter stiffer bike.

If the power and new bike don't happen, just lugging less weight up the Col's on Marmotte will do me.
  • Greg T
    JZed wrote:
    Monday - Friday calorie intake of 1,500 to 2,000 with an hours cycling, means I'm running a deficit of around 1,000 a day. Saturday-Sunday I am less controlled.

I've been running at an average of 2K cals intake a day with an average of 10hrs riding a week.

I'm having to come south of 2K a day as I'm going nowhere . . 20% body fat. decking hell

Targetting an average of 1,800 cals a day intake a day from here.

• jzed
    Greg T wrote:
    I've been running at an average of 2K cals intake a day with an average of 10hrs riding a week.

I'm having to come south of 2K a day as I'm going nowhere . . 20% body fat. decking hell

You'd be running around 700-1,000 calorie deficit wouldn't you. Read it takes 3,500 of deficit to shift 1lb of fat.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    That's a very low cal intake for an active person both of you, i'd take it easy if I was you, perhaps try smaller intact reductions.

I've cut out all non meal time snacks and beer during the week, which seems to lose me about 1lb a week - minimal distance cycling 100 miles a week max.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T wrote:
    JZed wrote:

It's really fecking hard. Don't forget breakfast though. It's about sustained loss over the week though. I've found that if I cycle I can be a bit more generous with lunch and snackage regardless of its healthiness. The problem being is when you don't - be far more alert to going over the calorie count.
    Don't forget to mix in doing weights if you can. If you're dieting but just doing cardio - your system will preferentially utilise any muscle you already have to meet the deificit. Trick is to do hard weights and force your system to produce more muscle. This (biologically) interefers with the bodys consumption of the muscle it and forces the body to then use fat stores instead - feedback mechanisms.
  • Greg T
    itboffin wrote:
    That's a very low cal intake for an active person both of you, i'd take it easy if I was you, perhaps try smaller intact reductions..

Tried that.

I've come down from 2,500 all the way through the low 2,000s for the last month and have shifted nothing.

<2K it is. I fear I may have to pick up something heavy like MM says . . . shudder . . .

• rick_chasey
    JZed wrote:

None. But then again didn't expect any. With the big deficit, I just don't have the energy. This is the first stage of my master plan for summer.

Weight loss whilst weather is rubbish. Target 15%
    Then start to increase the calorie intake and training. Increase power by 5-10% over last year through a more focused regime including suffer sessions on the turbo. Keep the weight off.
    Get a lighter stiffer bike.

If the power and new bike don't happen, just lugging less weight up the Col's on Marmotte will do me.

Yeah. It should make a massive difference. 10% is a lot.

Then again, London is basically pan flat, so in that respect it doesn't make any difference.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    NAME             HEIGHT  START        TARGET        NOW         SO FAR      TO GO
        Agent57                  13st 9lb     11st 11lb     13st 7lb    2lb         1st 10lb
        Allez Mark       1.86m   217lb        196lb         208lb       9lb         12lb
        Anomymousblackfg 1.86m   92kg         82kg          92kg        0kg         10kg
        Asprilla                 72kg         65kg          74.5kg      -2.5kg      9.5kg
        cib                      88kg         81kg          88kg        0kg         7kg
        clarkey cat      1.86m   200lbs       185lbs        198lbs      2lbs        13lb
        Cush123                  93kg         82kg          92.3kg      0.7kg       10.3kg
        cyclingprop              119kg        105kg*        119kg       0kg         14kg
        Dodgerdog                82kg         75kg          81.6kg      0.4kg       6.6kg
        Dog Breath       1.75m   75kg         68kg          73.0kg      2.0kg       5.0kg
        Initialised      1.8m    93kg         83kg          93kg       +0kg         10kg
        IP                       74kg         69kg          71.2kg        2.8kg         2.2kg
        itboffin                 184lb        164lb         179.7lb     4.3lb       15.7lb
        JT                       89kg         83kg          88kg        1kg         5kg
        JZed             1.94m   108kg        95kg          98kg        10kg         3kg
        KateF                    64kg         58kg          64kg        0kg         6kg
        keyser__soze             87kg         81kg          87kg        0kg         6kg
        Leodis75                 93kg         76kg          93kg        0kg         17kg
        meanredspider            95kg         85kg          95kg        0kg         10kg
        mkirby                   99kg         85kg          99kg        0kg         14kg
        MsMancunia               73kg         59kg          73kg        0kg         14kg
        Mudcow007        1.87m   113kg        15St          112kg       1kg         10kg
        ngale                    13st 10lb    9st 6lb       13st 10lb   0lb         4st 4lb
        OptimisticBiker  1.70m   69kg         65kg          69kg        0kg         4kg
        Phy2sll2         1.77m   66kg         58kg          63kg        3kg         5kg
        Roger Merriman   6ft     13st 3lb     12st 10lb     12st 13lb   3lb         6lb
        Sketchley                117kg        95kg          115kg       2kg         20kg
        Stevo 666        1.77m   72kg         67kg          71kg        1kg         4kg
        Tabh                     125kg        108kg         125kg       0kg         17kg
        TailWindHome             86kg         75kg          86kg        0kg         11kg
        TheStone         1.85m   93kg         85.5kg        92.5kg      0.5kg       7kg
        ToeKnee          1.89m   96kg         86kg          94.5kg      1.5kg       8.5kg
        Welkman          1.91m   15st 12lb    13st          15st 4lb    8lb         32lb
        WesternWay               106kg        85kg          106kg       0kg         21kg
        Wineboar                 122kg        100kg         118.8kg     3.2kg       18.8kg
        Woodnut                  75kg         69kg          75kg        0kg         6kg

This is slow going. I have visibly lost fat on my stomach though. Not been as disciplined in Feb and have ridden less thanks to the weather. However, it's the best start to the year I've had in ages and I'm ramping the mileage up. Aiming for another 65 miles this weekend and will aim for 70's in March building up to longer hillier rides through April & May. Still, managing to (mostly) avoid crap during the week. Have massively cut down on the alcohol intake as well.

Out of interest, do you lot tend to get very hungry in the evenings? I've found I can end up overeating when I get home. Scarfed down a pack of Jaffa Cakes last night - although I did head to RP this morning rather than get on the dreaded TT.

Having said all that, I am hankering after coffee cake today, may have to scratch that itch. :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Don't forget to mix in doing weights if you can. If you're dieting but just doing cardio - your system will preferentially utilise any muscle you already have to meet the deificit. Trick is to do hard weights and force your system to produce more muscle. This (biologically) interefers with the bodys consumption of the muscle it and forces the body to then use fat stores instead - feedback mechanisms.

Really? Surely (as a cyclist) you only want cycling muscle. If you diet and cycle 6 days a week, won't your body know not to cannibalise those active/in demand muscles? Also I'd kinda hoped that eating plenty of protein would help as well?
  • Really? Surely (as a cyclist) you only want cycling muscle. If you diet and cycle 6 days a week, won't your body know not to cannibalise those active/in demand muscles? Also I'd kinda hoped that eating plenty of protein would help as well?

It's all about usage. If you have good muscles - you use them - you don't build them so the body will still take what it wants. It's forcing the body to shift to the process of putting on muscle that is the key. Knowing zed and greg - they will have good muscles for the commute already. If they instead pushed themselves to endurance levels absolutely hammering it every day to gain leg muscle then they'd notice the drop and not just because they were using more calories. But just using the existing stuff I don't think works like you'd hope. Utilising fat and protein as energy sources also takes more water than carbs g per g so keep yourself hydrated.
  • jzed
    I've gone from being starving all the time - to getting used of it. Was doing porridge in the morning but needed a snack before lunch. Weetabix seems to have sorted that. Then rabbit food for lunch, and then some low fat meat or fish for dinner with some veg. If I've done a lap of the park I'll have an ale to wash it all down. Haven't found it too bad in the evening.

GregT - are you monitoring calories in drinks. Think thats where I was going wrong, latte's were adding 200 a time, hydration/energy drink another 200 a time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    itboffin wrote:
    That's a very low cal intake for an active person both of you, i'd take it easy if I was you, perhaps try smaller intact reductions.

I've cut out all non meal time snacks and beer during the week, which seems to lose me about 1lb a week - minimal distance cycling 100 miles a week max.

Now I don't need to lose any weight, but this has got me interested. I'd always assumed that I took in quite a lot of calories. Checked one of the online jobbies and I should be aiming for about 2400kcal a day to hold things steady. Adding up my breakfast - 3x weetabix + raisins; 3 x wholemeal toast + peanut butter; glass of OJ - and lunch - large cheese & salad sandwich made from scratch + cake/flapjack/maltloaf + apple + banana - comes to about 1200kcal. Which means that either I eat a bigger dinner than I thought, or some calcs are wrong. :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Now I don't need to lose any weight, but this has got me interested. I'd always assumed that I took in quite a lot of calories. Checked one of the online jobbies and I should be aiming for about 2400kcal a day to hold things steady. Adding up my breakfast - 3x weetabix + raisins; 3 x wholemeal toast + peanut butter; glass of OJ - and lunch - large cheese & salad sandwich made from scratch + cake/flapjack/maltloaf + apple + banana - comes to about 1200kcal. Which means that either I eat a bigger dinner than I thought, or some calcs are wrong. :?

Mine's roughly 1200-1500.

Then again' I'm a fair bit smaller. but still. Not losing any weight (can't afford to really).
  • rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

See the calorie count things are also moving goalposts PLUS the fitter you are the more efficient you are. You're lean and have good cycle muscle structure. If you took someone who'd never cycled before and put him doing your distance he might need 2400 - but you don't.

Plus as you get older your digestion is more efficient in that you don't flash burn calories and thus can managed more sustained benefit from what you eat.

Older super long distance runners/skiers etc are better at maintaining energy levels than the youngsters which is why it's not always the young blood who do best at these tihngs. /sidepoint
  • jzed
    The calorie counter thing reckons I need to aim at 1800 calories a day to lose 2lb a week. With an hour of exercise a day I "buy" another 800 apparently. I consume around 1,500. So I'm running a supposed deficit of 1,100. Seems to work.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2012
    You're lean and have good cycle muscle structure.

You're too kind. :oops:

Or are you just flirting?

EDIT: I remember you posting on the glasses thread the other day - do you need your prescription checked?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Greg T
    JZed wrote:
    GregT - are you monitoring calories in drinks. Think thats where I was going wrong, latte's were adding 200 a time, hydration/energy drink another 200 a time.

yep . .

I'd rather die than admit to drinking latte mind . . .

I even add 400ml a milk a day to balance off the tea and swigs i take from the carton.

I use myfitnesspal to record my cals per day - given up recording exercise as it just gives you 1,000s of cals you don't need to compensate . . .

2,400 cals a day to maintain body weight is for me an absolute load of crap. 2,400 plus let's say a conservative 1,000 cals (my garmin says 2,905 for my standard there and back commute) that should put me about 3,500 calories a day to maintain my body weight

never in a million years . . . . I'd be spherical . . .

1,800 a day and 10hrs riding a week and I may even have to go and do some resistance training - it's just taking too long. 15% body fat is my goal, 5% to go.

• JZed wrote:
    The calorie counter thing reckons I need to aim at 1800 calories a day to lose 2lb a week. With an hour of exercise a day I "buy" another 800 apparently. I consume around 1,500. So I'm running a supposed deficit of 1,100. Seems to work.

an hour and you burn 800... hmmmmmm. I'd say aim with the idea you burn half, maybe 2/3 of that depending on what this exercise is of course but go with a lower figure and be more harsh with yourself - especially if you don't think it's working that quickly...

you can always be more harsh to begin with to jump start the mechanism and then scale back a little.
  • NAME             HEIGHT  START        TARGET        NOW         SO FAR      TO GO
        Agent57                  13st 9lb     11st 11lb     13st 7lb    2lb         1st 10lb
        Allez Mark       1.86m   217lb        196lb         208lb       9lb         12lb
        Anomymousblackfg 1.86m   92kg         82kg          92kg        0kg         10kg
        Asprilla                 72kg         65kg          74.5kg      -2.5kg      9.5kg
        cib                      88kg         81kg          88kg        0kg         7kg
        clarkey cat      1.86m   200lbs       185lbs        198lbs      2lbs        13lb
        Cush123                  93kg         82kg          92.3kg      0.7kg       10.3kg
        cyclingprop              119kg        105kg*        119kg       0kg         14kg
        Dodgerdog                82kg         75kg          81.6kg      0.4kg       6.6kg
        Dog Breath       1.75m   75kg         68kg          73.0kg      2.0kg       5.0kg
        Initialised      1.8m    93kg         83kg          93kg       +0kg         10kg
        IP                       74kg         69kg          71.2kg      2.8kg       2.2kg
        itboffin                 184lb        164lb         179.7lb     4.3lb       15.7lb
        JT                       89kg         83kg          88kg        1kg         5kg
        JZed             1.94m   108kg        95kg          98kg        10kg         3kg
        KateF                    64kg         58kg          64kg        0kg         6kg
        keyser__soze    1.84m    87kg         81kg          84.8kg      2.2kg       3.8kg
        Leodis75                 93kg         76kg          93kg        0kg         17kg
        meanredspider            95kg         85kg          95kg        0kg         10kg
        mkirby                   99kg         85kg          99kg        0kg         14kg
        MsMancunia               73kg         59kg          73kg        0kg         14kg
        Mudcow007        1.87m   113kg        15St          112kg       1kg         10kg
        ngale                    13st 10lb    9st 6lb       13st 10lb   0lb         4st 4lb
        OptimisticBiker  1.70m   69kg         65kg          69kg        0kg         4kg
        Phy2sll2         1.77m   66kg         58kg          63kg        3kg         5kg
        Roger Merriman   6ft     13st 3lb     12st 10lb     12st 13lb   3lb         6lb
        Sketchley                117kg        95kg          115kg       2kg         20kg
        Stevo 666        1.77m   72kg         67kg          71kg        1kg         4kg
        Tabh                     125kg        108kg         125kg       0kg         17kg
        TailWindHome             86kg         75kg          86kg        0kg         11kg
        TheStone         1.85m   93kg         85.5kg        92.5kg      0.5kg       7kg
        ToeKnee          1.89m   96kg         86kg          94.5kg      1.5kg       8.5kg
        Welkman          1.91m   15st 12lb    13st          15st 4lb    8lb         32lb
        WesternWay               106kg        85kg          106kg       0kg         21kg
        Wineboar                 122kg        100kg         118.8kg     3.2kg       18.8kg
        Woodnut                  75kg         69kg          75kg        0kg         6kg

Weight not flying off but I'm sure I'm putting on muscle and losing fat. Big discrepancy between my home scales and the body fat monitor at my work's health centre too, much lower percentage of body fat on the latter.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jzed
    JZed wrote:

an hour and you burn 800... hmmmmmm. I'd say aim with the idea you burn half, maybe 2/3 of that depending on what this exercise is of course but go with a lower figure and be more harsh with yourself - especially if you don't think it's working that quickly...

you can always be more harsh to begin with to jump start the mechanism and then scale back a little.

800 seems about right to me. There's a range from around 500-1000 per hour. I have to carry a higher weight around with me and push more air out of the way, so reckon I use more fuel.

Whatever it is my in/out balance seems to be working. 7 weeks of the year done and 22lbs dropped. If I listened to the calorie calculator then its unlikely I would have dropped any weight.
  • good work all and btw if you're wondering why i spout this stuff - my degree was in biology and I did an entire module in the 2nd year on metabolism, so it's not shite, that comes later...

i'd suggest using tape measures for people who're gaining muscle. that will give you a good indicator of how much fat is going for areas.

igmc
  • rjsterry
    Weight not flying off but I'm sure I'm putting on muscle and losing fat. Big discrepancy between my home scales and the body fat monitor at my work's health centre too, much lower percentage of body fat on the latter.

I thought it was generally agreed that bathroom scales body fat monitors were pretty inaccurate.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Greg T
    rjsterry wrote:
    I thought it was generally agreed that bathroom scales body fat monitors were pretty inaccurate.

but they are Fecking consistent I can tell you that for nothing . . . . .

• jzed
    Looking like another 3lbs off. Will need to do a weigh in tonight just to confirm as could have just been dehydration.
  • rjsterry
    Greg T wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

but they are Fecking consistent I can tell you that for nothing . . . . .

They just measure the bioelectrical impedence of your body, which indicates the density of your body - this is then related to a typical fat percentage for the given density. So if you keep getting the same reading, that just means that your density hasn't changed.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html

Have you tried comparing the readings from other people?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Unless the excessive weight loss is turning me mental, despite successfully logging in to the stats site, it gives me no option to update. Never mind.

Down to 86.5kg on my Friday weigh in, which is nothing to get excited about, but I'll happily accept it considering I had two Michelin starred meals last week and quite a few bottles of wine. At least when I put my lycra on these days I look a lot less like a condom stuffed with 3 oranges. May go hardcore next week.