Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Comments

• You guys think Col du Balham is a tough beast you obviously haven't tackled this Cat 4 beast in Streatham peaks at a gradient of 92%!

http://app.strava.com/rides/1406510#22117338
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    My commute home tonight was interesting:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1713759

What has Strava been doing! Gutted as I managed to only get caught for a few seconds around PS and along Embankment! Was hoping for a new PB and poss KOM! Ah well :roll:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I doubt that's Strava and suspect its your device losing signal until just before the end. Have you tried uploading to anything else, e.g. Mapmyride?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I thought that to start with, but I also use cyclemeter on the phone at the same time, and that has tracked the route perfect.

I did notice when I looked online just after uploading my route, NSB's route came up similar to mine. Well a straight line, seems to have fixed now mind.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Gutted. Balham hill attempt this morning. Perfect speed into the climb and at the top of the climb I am 5 seconds up on my fastest attempt only for the crossing to go red. Who decided the finish was the other side of the crossing. :evil:

So reckon I can hit a 28 when all the planets come into line.
  • JZed wrote:
    Gutted. Balham hill attempt this morning. Perfect speed into the climb and at the top of the climb I am 5 seconds up on my fastest attempt only for the crossing to go red. Who decided the finish was the other side of the crossing. :evil:

I had a half decent run today but serious case of Friday legs will upload in a sec, I reckon Monday I will be able to go a fair bit better.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:
    ...or if you take the hill from the opposite direction ;)
  • Bit sad but on way home from nights had another tilt at 'The Hill', (Balham that is) having to do two U turns to do it. Gave it all but never at my best off nights. Joint 2nd with JZed but there are 5 seconds at least to come off the time if drafting a bus. Would be this be considered cheating/ungentlemanly conduct?
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Bit sad but on way home from nights had another tilt at 'The Hill', (Balham that is) having to do two U turns to do it. Gave it all but never at my best off nights. Joint 2nd with JZed but there are 5 seconds at least to come off the time if drafting a bus. Would be this be considered cheating/ungentlemanly conduct?

The buses seem more of hindrance than a help they tend to only go up that stretch at 23-25mph (when not stopping at the bus stop)
  • jzed
    Flyingbogey - we'll never know - but could you live with yourself.......
  • 3 attempts to find GPS fix this morning and 3 failures...probably more an issue with the GPS on my phone but still rather annoying as you can only start the recording once you have a GPS fix rather then just hitting start and then letting it try and get a fix in your bag.

Shame as I was hoping to create (if there isn't already one) a segment for The Highway for those daredevils like me that enjoy drafting lorries :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Came in a bit late this morning and had a bit of a clear run up balham hill....
    New PB and joint 1st with some J Freeman. I knew it was a good run when I went past a car on my outside!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Got off to a flyer this morning having timed two sets of lights to perfection. Felt good, slight chill in the air but the sun was out and visibility was good. Hit the foot of the hill at 28 and held it well. 15 minutes into the climb I was sure I'd be threatening the leaders, then the car ahead started indicating left and I had to abort. Knew I 'd lost valuable minutes and it was better to save my legs for another day :(
    Was running late for work so took the short route in via CS7 rather than Embankment.

alansd1980 wrote:
    oint 1st with some J Freeman
    JamesFree?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Just checked my phone. James Freeman it is.

Phone says I am in 1st but website says second. We both have the same times so lets call it a tie!
    FCN 4
  • dhope
    You and James need to join the Silly Commuter Racers club btw
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:

Just joined :)

Looks like there will be a good battle for Col du Balham.

I was going to have a crack at your KOM on shooters hill tonight but don't think I have anything left in the tank other than a leisurely commute home with maybe a quick attack up Loampit Hill segment the only segment on my commute!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    dhope wrote:

How do you do this?

Good times onthe climbs this morning, up to 5th on Crystal Palace Park Road shaving another 11 seconds off. KOM for Sunray Avenue - OK, its my own segment, but I'm 6 seconds clear of 2nd place (a cat 3 racer) and there are already 6 of us on the board.

I need to find an excuse to get back to Balham, I reckon I could do some damage on that hill - its the kind of hill that suits me!
  • dhope
    JamesFree wrote:
    dhope wrote:

I was going to have a crack at your KOM on shooters hill tonight but don't think I have anything left in the tank other than a leisurely commute home with maybe a quick attack up Loampit Hill segment the only segment on my commute!

I reckon any attempt would beat my Shooters Hill stat. It was just the start of a ride out to Kent and it turned out to be a KOM once I'd joined and uploaded to Strava
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    JamesFree wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Think I might have a crack at the KOM up Shooters Hill soon as well. I'm currently sitting in third and had no idea about it, lol.

Might be a bit of a trip to defend for you DHope, now you have moved to the wrong side of town ;)
    FCN 8.
  • dhope
    Obie wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Think I might have a crack at the KOM up Shooters Hill soon as well. I'm currently sitting in third and had no idea about it, lol.

Might be a bit of a trip to defend for you DHope, now you have moved to the wrong side of town ;)

Dunno, 10 mile spin out will be just enough to warm up the legs, rather than doing it cold as I did for my KOM ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    dhope wrote:
    Obie wrote:
    JamesFree wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Dunno, 10 mile spin out will be just enough to warm up the legs, rather than doing it cold as I did for my KOM ;)

D@mn this Strava thing is so dangerous. I'll never be able to have a gentle pootle, ever. ;) Certainly spices up the commute though. Catch you to the top DHope! :)
    FCN 8.
  • Crap! Someone who's actually fast came along and beat my best sections!

:evil:
  • dhope wrote:

Joined a week or two ago but looking at the speed everyone hits on other stretches I dont think I will be enjoying being up top of that leaderboard for long.

Think most of you guys might do a fair bit more riding than me so have more in the tank when the air gets thin up the top of Balham Hill!
    FCN 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    dhope wrote:
    I reckon any attempt would beat my Shooters Hill stat. It was just the start of a ride out to Kent and it turned out to be a KOM once I'd joined and uploaded to Strava

You obviously have no idea how slow I am.
  • dhope
    Obie wrote:
    D@mn this Strava thing is so dangerous. I'll never be able to have a gentle pootle, ever. ;) Certainly spices up the commute though. Catch you to the top DHope! :)

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the same thing.
    I'm amused by it all though, given the stick we get in the Road section for SCR, now we're battling over 0.4km segments up Balham Hill :D

As long as everyone realises it's not serious*

* It is really**
    ** Nah, not really*
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    Keep expecting the leaderboard to show Power Awesome (TM) at the top
  • Stupid Strava! It's making me want to do parts of the commute on my geared roadie. Oh and the frustration of hitting lights. In fact all segments should only be between lights surely... :wink:

Almost tempted to pop all my garmin data on there but I have about 4 years worth so I guess that's not gonna happen.
  • Stupid Strava! It's making me want to do parts of the commute on my geared roadie. Oh and the frustration of hitting lights. In fact all segments should only be between lights surely... :wink:

Fully agree there, I was rather careful when creating my segment in Mitcham (mainly for myself this one, but if anyone else does pass it......) to NOT include lights, it's just a straight run. Over the longer segments such as CB>PS etc. I guess it's reasonable to get held up at some lights on every try but those lights on Millbank are going to be problematic......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Shooters Hill run has been cancelled due to a 3 beer lunch!

Sunday morning going to try and set out a new Col Du Balham record as don't like this joint First business.
  • JamesFree wrote:
    Shooters Hill run has been cancelled due to a 3 beer lunch!

Sunday morning going to try and set out a new Col Du Balham record as don't like this joint First business.

Sunday morning I am going to have the wife driving up Balham Hill across two lanes very slowly while I stand at the top pressing the Pedx button......

Might see you there James!!
    FCN 4