Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Comments

• cambs wrote:
    Once you know where the segments are, that's when you start gunning it. :D

There's just nowhere to hide any more. Think i'm going to have to get some turbo training in for a bit of a power boost.

I like the way it tells you who was riding alongside you. The next iteration of the app must surely show you your "followers" on the map when they are in range.
    SCR by radar: would be great.

With your phone beeping like a missile lock-on warning system when they have you in their sights. I like it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    cambs wrote:

There's just nowhere to hide any more. Think i'm going to have to get some turbo training in for a bit of a power boost.

I like the way it tells you who was riding alongside you. The next iteration of the app must surely show you your "followers" on the map when they are in range.

With your phone beeping like a missile lock-on warning system when they have you in their sights. I like it.

Or as a potential scalper closes on you then the beeps get faster, resulting in a flatline as they pass.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I decided to have a detour on the way home and took in balham hill twce to see where I would come and to my suprise right in at the top :D

Oops and looking at the stats of the right i thought the hill finished at cathles road, as had stopped pedalling for the last 5 seconds!! Time for another go tommorrow!
  • Also has anyone else noticed some really silly high scores that must be fake ?

for example this guy

http://app.strava.com/rides/954386#27198340
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I reckon that's a motorbike. Acceleration is really sharp. I'm gonig to try it on my motorbike tomorrow, but only as a comparison. I presume I can delete the motorised ride later. Had it running in the car today. Just a bit sad, and curious to see how times differ. I expect the motorbike to be more up and down than the bicycle but the same overall time taken. It's easier to filter on a push bike, but silly power and burning fossil fuels makes acceleration easy as pie.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    So a few pints of ITB and Dhope and I have the courage to head to Balham to tackle Col du Balham Hill.

I now understand the PowerAwesomes fear of the climb. I've looked through my Climbs of the Tour and this eclipses it.

The first ramp had me. A van dawdled and a bus decided to pull out so the van stopped. I then put down the power and hit the summit after 36minutes only 3 minutes off the KOM.

Straight into 5 with a disappointing start so reckon a KOM is definitely a target. 30 minutes has to be possible.
  • Damnit. First ride back on what I know is a timed section and I hit a bl00y red!!!
    As I headed towards Millbank from PS I was trying to judge it so I had a flying start off LBR and getting ready to put down some speed to make a good first attempt.

The wind wasn't too bad and I was gritting my teeth only to see the ped crossing lights go amber.......NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO! It's *almost* enough to turn you into a RLJer ;-)
    Checked the stats when I got in and I was hitting 30mph before having to slam the anchors on. After that I hit the traffic wanting to turn left so hung back as I didn't fancy starring in Silly Cyclists and left the "queueing up the inside of left turning vehicles" to the other lemmings.....
    Consequently my passing the end point was all co(ked too.

Plan of attack now for this has to be at a quieter time......need a clear run with no traffic at the lights and a green at the far end ideally!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • JZed wrote:
    So a few pints of ITB and Dhope and I have the courage to head to Balham to tackle Col du Balham Hill.

I now understand the PowerAwesomes fear of the climb. I've looked through my Climbs of the Tour and this eclipses it.

The first ramp had me. A van dawdled and a bus decided to pull out so the van stopped. I then put down the power and hit the summit after 36minutes only 3 minutes off the KOM.

Straight into 5 with a disappointing start so reckon a KOM is definitely a target. 30 minutes has to be possible.

Yeah I reckon a 30 is definitely possible without a doubt as I would never consider myself that fast all, will hopefuly knock a second or 2 off tommorrow morning on the way in. Tough ol climb though ;)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I reckon that's a motorbike. Acceleration is really sharp. I'm gonig to try it on my motorbike tomorrow, but only as a comparison. I presume I can delete the motorised ride later. Had it running in the car today. Just a bit sad, and curious to see how times differ. I expect the motorbike to be more up and down than the bicycle but the same overall time taken. It's easier to filter on a push bike, but silly power and burning fossil fuels makes acceleration easy as pie.

Even more telling - if you view the ride he hits 90 km/h on the flat near the start of his ride

http://app.strava.com/rides/954386#
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just filter the results by the SCR team and you get rid of the noise :twisted:

BTW. anyone got an image that I can upload for the club logo? Best suggestion wins, as commented on by the masses and selected by me
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I shall be putting it to test tomorrow, I'm not expecting fantastic times as I have been off the bike over 5 weeks apart from a couple of slow runs and one comute in yesterday.
  • Joined SCR team :-)
    On a fairly local commute tomorrow so I may add a few segments for Croydon based riders and to challenge myself - have a few stretches that are ideal for putting the power down :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dhope wrote:
    cambs wrote:

Or as a potential scalper closes on you then the beeps get faster, resulting in a flatline as they pass.

HUD on the Oakleys, with ghost riders and target lock. Bring it on... 8)
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • Guess it would be possible if you had a wearable HUD and some augmented reality solution :-) could make for some interesting tactical play, can imagine people pulling over to lie in wait for prize scalps!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    So I rode out to the foot of Col du Balham this morning, It kind of reminded me of the run from Bourg d'oisans to the foot of the Glandon, with the crisp morning mountain air, the buzz of cyclists tapping out a rythmn nervously before arriving at the climb.

The intial ramp of the climb was blocked by the flocks of cyclists coming from all over to attempt the infamous climb. I have no speed. As the pass starts to widen I swing right and attack, speed is rising but up ahead is another attemptee wobbling all over the road. He must be suffering from oxygen deprivation, I keep right and find a gap and then give it everything. The top half of the climb is fast and I power over the summit to the crowds waiting at the sides of the roads (t'was a ped x but let me have my moment).

2nd Overall with 33 minutes. Equal to the KOM yesterday but he's gone quicker today and has knocked a minute off.

Fast Millbank section too with the other me spinning away behind me waiting for a moment of weakness.
  • JZed wrote:
    So I rode out to the foot of Col du Balham this morning, It kind of reminded me of the run from Bourg d'oisans to the foot of the Glandon, with the crisp morning mountain air, the buzz of cyclists tapping out a rythmn nervously before arriving at the climb.

The intial ramp of the climb was blocked by the flocks of cyclists coming from all over to attempt the infamous climb. I have no speed. As the pass starts to widen I swing right and attack, speed is rising but up ahead is another attemptee wobbling all over the road. He must be suffering from oxygen deprivation, I keep right and find a gap and then give it everything. The top half of the climb is fast and I power over the summit to the crowds waiting at the sides of the roads (t'was a ped x but let me have my moment).

2nd Overall with 33 minutes. Equal to the KOM yesterday but he's gone quicker today and has knocked a minute off.

Fast Millbank section too with the other me spinning away behind me waiting for a moment of weakness.

Brilliant!!!
  • Anyone else a bit shy of posting rides with headwinds? This morning's effort had an average headwind (according to Windguru.com) of 23 mph, gusting to 33 mph.

Not the best time to have a case of Thursday legs. :cry:
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Woohoo, upto an epic 19th place for the CB - VB sprint! 8)

Oh stop laughing at the back, i'm pleased with it. :P

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Rode my motorbike today for the first time in 6 weeks to continue my comparison of different transport methods. Headwinds not a problem. I was only 30 seconds quicker than on the bicycle, and it was a quick run on the motorbike as there was little traffic. It is about half a mile further on the road though. Moving average was a fraction under 20mph though I should imgine my peak speed was a good chunk higher than I can manage when pedalling. I can't look at the website from here as my computer with ie6 doesn't seem to like it.
    Back on the bicycle tomorrow, despite having picked up some sort of lurgy I'm looking forward to it. Doubt I'll be very fast though.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Anyone else a bit shy of posting rides with headwinds? This morning's effort had an average headwind (according to Windguru.com) of 23 mph, gusting to 33 mph.

Not the best time to have a case of Thursday legs. :cry:
    My Friday legs showed up 36hrs in advance, too. Didn't enjoy the ride home last night at all. :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Guess it would be possible if you had a wearable HUD and some augmented reality solution :-) could make for some interesting tactical play, can imagine people pulling over to lie in wait for prize scalps!

I have a few that only I have ridden (at least with Strava) since quiet lanes in Breacon Beacons don't get many folk with strava...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Wrath Rob wrote:

BTW. anyone got an image that I can upload for the club logo? Best suggestion wins, as commented on by the masses and selected by me

1302875792860-15a1s6k20feek-280-75.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:

1302875792860-15a1s6k20feek-280-75.jpg
    Keep 'em coming...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    BC.jpg
    Just trying to get that extra aero-ness for the pass *not my picture by the way*

hill-climb-agony.jpg
    *again, not mine. Nothing to do with commuting, but a cool picture!*
  • How do you search for segments in strava as can only see the search for climbs?

Thanks
  • JamesFree wrote:
    How do you search for segments in strava as can only see the search for climbs?

Thanks

They're the same thing: bad naming, really.
  • Fu(k.It.

Only picked up Balham Hill (currently 21st, must try harder although I'm a second ahead of Il Principe!)

Eh, I didn't think I'd ever ridden Balham - you'd think I'd remember such an infamous climb!

*Edit - just looked at my data, rode it in 2008 as part of a 100 miler to Brighton and back with my Etape training buddies.

Now I feel like I need to ride over there just to sprint up the damn thing.

Fu(k.It. :D
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Eh, I didn't think I'd ever ridden Etape

*Edit - just looked at my data, rode it in 2008 as part of a 100 miler to Brighton and back with my Balham training buddies.
    ftfy
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JZed wrote:
    So a few pints of ITB and Dhope and I have the courage to head to Balham to tackle Col du Balham Hill...

My turn to ask what has been going on at the Morpeth? If ITB is getting milked like that it could explain why he's feeling unwell.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ohh great so now your all trying on balham hill and nocked me from my top spot. I will not stand for this. The next time I get a clear run without any red lights you will be sorry...
    -- edd