Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    willy b wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Is there an SCR punishment trike he can commute on? Something with about a 10" gear ;)

Like a Top Gear Beetle? Surley a Boris bike?

You can still scalp people on a Boris bike.

Needs to look fast but be slow - a road bike with tt bars, but a snapped gear cable for instance :twisted:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And full Livestrong team kit, but the cheap DealExtreme knockoff stuff
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Go on then, I'm in. First ride posted. Not sure how often I'll be doing it, though, as it's a bit of a faff with my phone...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,299
    I just looked at your ride. Looks like it could get a bit windy along there.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I just looked at your ride. Looks like it could get a bit windy along there.

Does a bit at times. Not too bad at the moment, but last week wasn't much fun in the morning. Storming on the way back, mind. :D
  • jds_1981
    Took a couple of detours today. Had a nice run from westminster to blackfriars bridge http://app.strava.com/segments/759147 . Looks like I still need to find thirteen seconds though.

Any idea on how to find/view segments easily?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Mr Beresford, I notice you're ahead of me up swains lane & from blackfriars to westminster bridge.

Target acquired. ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    Just uploaded a few rides that were left in the Garmin

Turns out I'm KOM for Shooters Hill and the lead onto it :D

http://app.strava.com/segments/748626
    http://app.strava.com/segments/729058
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm out of the game this week (holiday) but it looks like some people are laying down some stout markers already. Even if they are commuting at 8pm, Mr Beresford :o
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Had a go recording my commute this morning, had a reasonably quick run (certainly by recent standards). Didn't seem to pick up any segments but there is one climb - Crystal Palace Park Road. I currently stand a lowly 13th on the leaderboard. Any idea how you can find full details for climbs etc on the website? I can't find that climb anywhere and there is no obvious search facility...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The segments and climbs sometimes seem a bit random. Try going to Explore and then Climb Search. Alternatively just create your own and it will tell you if your segment already exists.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Mr Beresford, I notice you're ahead of me up swains lane & from blackfriars to westminster bridge.

Target acquired. ;)

Bring it on! :lol:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Even if they are commuting at 8pm, Mr Beresford :o

:D commuting home at 8pm was about the only benefit of an after work proffesional seminar! :roll:

I thought all lights & PX's would be in my favour, it however didn't appear to be the case. That said I got a good run from Blackfrairs to PS then along Milbank (only had to stop at Embankment/PS lights.
  • veronese68
    Definitely rode into work faster this mornnig. As there is no SCR action along my route I appear to be racing myself. I was glad for the heavy traffic causing slow filtering as I was utterly done for by then. I was tired before I left but managed a fast ride in, only timed 3 rides in so far and this was easily the quickest.
  • Oh I like this! I've just added some sections to my ride last night, good, long stretches between traffic lights, and I've found people to race. Why, one of them rode the same route only yesterday...

And I demolished him! :twisted:
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I have a couple of runs uploaded but it's a pain having to mess with the phone on leaving the house.

No segments seem to exsist maybe need to create some.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • jds_1981
    Alll these people complaining about messing with phones. Time to get a garmin :twisted:

Still have to wait around a while for it to find satellites, but at least it's on the crossbar.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Definitely rode into work faster this mornnig. As there is no SCR action along my route I appear to be racing myself. I was glad for the heavy traffic causing slow filtering as I was utterly done for by then. I was tired before I left but managed a fast ride in, only timed 3 rides in so far and this was easily the quickest.

I do clip your commute as another bushy park commute. Though I head up to squires where the few bits of SCR has happened.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited September 2011
    Oh I like this! I've just added some sections to my ride last night, good, long stretches between traffic lights, and I've found people to race. Why, one of them rode the same route only yesterday...

You found them to race but I be they don't know these segments exist for ages.

Edit: LOL just checked and I have gained about another 6 KOM others have created.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

I do clip your commute as another bushy park commute. Though I head up to squires where the few bits of SCR has happened.

Yes, I think I've seen you at the kingston end of Bushy Park. But not asked as we've been passing in opposite directions. I'm usually on a big red Kona Jake with a single pannier.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Oh I like this! I've just added some sections to my ride last night, good, long stretches between traffic lights, and I've found people to race. Why, one of them rode the same route only yesterday...

You found them to race but I be they don't know these segments exist for ages.

Edit: LOL just checked and I have gained about another 6 KOM others have created.

What you're saying is that some goading is in order?
  • jds_1981
    I was pleasently surprised by having a few KOMS on my commute.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I was pleasently surprised by having a few KOMS on my commute.

Yeah, I found this. Start of a 65 miler out to Kent was a supposed Cat4 climb taking in Shooters Hill. Turns out I'm about 90 seconds clear of 2nd place and I didn't know it was a climb until I uploaded it :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got the KOM of the col de la Croix de Fer*. Not quite sure how that happened. Oh yeah, I was SillyColRacing CJCP :lol:

* Not the whole thing just from the top of the Glandon to the Croix de Fer
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Segments made now to see who else rides that way and uploads then i can match the start time take a draft and blast past to claim the segment.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • dhope
    Is there a Balham Hill segment yet?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:

I've not attempted that climb yet. Few more weeks of training should do it though.
  • jds_1981
    dhope wrote:

I believe there is - saw it when browsing other users.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

yup http://app.strava.com/segments/731485
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

:shock: it's apparently been ridden 298 times by 39 people. Obviously some suckers for punishment.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    jds_1981 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

:shock: it's apparently been ridden 298 times by 39 people. Obviously some suckers for punishment.

Good show though jds, I can see you're 34th currently with only 1hr 5 minutes. But then what better can one hope for with a 4km 22% incline (there's a typo on the page, says 0.4km, 2.2% :? )

Best time is a storming 34 minutes

Edit: Ah, I probably will post a time when I upload this morning's commute
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo