Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    3rd for Millbank Sprint Southbound, just ahead of three chaps with familiar sounding names :lol:
    NSB, Willy_B, JZed

That'll do for fixed gear*

*And a very nice tow from a lorry to get going
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Hmmm - seems this is getting competitive.

We need an overall GC prize though as these KOMs and Sprints are geared towards segment slaying*.

*I may have a stab at segment slaying
  • JZed wrote:
    Hmmm - seems this is getting competitive.

We need an overall GC prize though as these KOMs and Sprints are geared towards segment slaying*.

*I may have a stab at segment slaying

Well thank you Strava, I've just burst a blood vessel in my eye.

Getting competitive, you say?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    dhope wrote:

Good show though jds, I can see you're 34th currently with only 1hr 5 minutes. But then what better can one hope for with a 4km 22% incline (there's a typo on the page, says 0.4km, 2.2% :? )

Best time is a storming 34 minutes

Edit: Ah, I probably will post a time when I upload this morning's commute

Don't tell me I'm that far behind. It's a very long detour to go one when heading home.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Just joined. Are there any/many users on CS7 or do i need to vary my route to take on the big fish of CS8 as Sketchley told me to do ages ago?
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • jzed

Damn - you pipped my moving average by 0.1mph. I was relying on that as a GC criteria as thought I was well clear.

Weekly strava challenge, moving average above 20mph, minimum distance 7 miles?
  • dhope
    Just joined. Are there any/many users on CS7 or do i need to vary my route to take on the big fish of CS8 as Sketchley told me to do ages ago?

I'll head on CS7 occasionally, can do either route. Depends how the segments are looking :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Kom along with nsb from embankment to millbank, seem to have the same time exactley :lol:

Strava is now making my commute even more competitive! It's like SCR with ghosts!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Some of these segments are getting silly
    Blackfriars to westminster http://app.strava.com/rides/1694843#27054812 fine

Blackfriars to westimster http://app.strava.com/rides/1694843#27054811 odd
    I've flagged it as wrong.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I've got to take the car in tomorrow. Need to take some of the stuff under my desk home. Including a case of beer :lol:
    Might run Strava to see how much slower the car is. Then run it on the motorbike to see what that does. I reckon the motorbike will have higher top speeds, hardly a surprise, but actually prove to be no faster overall due to slightly longer distance and slower filtering.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    How about a weekly jersey comp?

Green jersey for the sprint segments, e.g. Millbank, or highest moving average for a flat segment of less than 1 mile?
    KOM for one of the popular bridges or comparable climbs?
    Yellow for highest moving average over urban commute > 5 miles
    Red for highest moving average over rural commute > 5 miles

Thoughts?

BTW, I'm looking forwards to getting back on the commute on Monday :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Definitely rode into work faster this mornnig. As there is no SCR action along my route I appear to be racing myself. I was glad for the heavy traffic causing slow filtering as I was utterly done for by then. I was tired before I left but managed a fast ride in, only timed 3 rides in so far and this was easily the quickest.

I do clip your commute as another bushy park commute. Though I head up to squires where the few bits of SCR has happened.

Yes, I think I've seen you at the kingston end of Bushy Park. But not asked as we've been passing in opposite directions. I'm usually on a big red Kona Jake with a single pannier.

I was probably meeting up with my wife, If I finish mid afternoon I do head to kingston or kingston end of Bushy Park and meet the wife.

I'm on a dirty Revolution track bike with two paniers. and a very dirty chain...
  • JZed wrote:

Damn - you pipped my moving average by 0.1mph. I was relying on that as a GC criteria as thought I was well clear.

Weekly strava challenge, moving average above 20mph, minimum distance 7 miles?

Already got one of those in the bag. Perhaps one time I'll ride my fast bike, rather than the one with mudguards and a dynamo. :twisted:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Some of these segments are getting silly
    Blackfriars to westminster http://app.strava.com/rides/1694843#27054812 fine

Blackfriars to westimster http://app.strava.com/rides/1694843#27054811 odd
    I've flagged it as wrong.

Nooooo that last one is great! :lol:

Good time yesterday on Westminster > Blackfriars by the way!

You'll also be pleased to know I wont have time to hit Swains Lane until Friday :shock:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    How about a weekly jersey comp?

Green jersey for the sprint segments, e.g. Millbank, or highest moving average for a flat segment of less than 1 mile?
    KOM for one of the popular bridges or comparable climbs?
    Yellow for highest moving average over urban commute > 5 miles
    Red for highest moving average over rural commute > 5 miles

Thoughts?

BTW, I'm looking forwards to getting back on the commute on Monday :twisted:

Good idea I think! However will it be easy to find this information out? For example the highest moving average > 5 miles over an urban commute? It may well be easy, i'm not that used to Strava yet!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh i wanna get involved but ive only got a Blackberry
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Points and laughs at the techno-leper.
  • veronese68
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Wouldn't that make you more of a gooseberry?
  • jzed
    willy b wrote:
    Good idea I think! However will it be easy to find this information out? For example the highest moving average > 5 miles over an urban commute? It may well be easy, i'm not that used to Strava yet!

Yeah its really easy - Wrath does it all - anyone disagrees they can point out their segment.

Whether its easy for Wrath or not - who cares? :lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Wouldn't that make you more of a gooseberry?

i use to think this was a nice forum......im off to watch Jezza Kyle so i can feel good about my self!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    All signed up, most of the routes though only have my commute going over them for a short time, oh well
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    So, turns out there is a registered climb each way on my commute. Managed to shave 23 seconds off my time for Crystal Palace Park Road this morning. Would've been more but I started my charge about 100 yards too early (wasn't sure where the official start line was) and had burnt half my matches before I even began! Now up to 7th on the leaderboard, 24 seconds off KOM. Two more days this week to go for it...

On the way home, its my old friend College Road. Recorded a pitiful 3:33 last night which was due in part to a headwind and the fact that I was still feeling the effects of a 500m sprint on the ergo at lunchtime - still good enough for 10th place. A PB time (which won't be happening for a while) would put me 2nd, but still a long way behind the current leading time of 2:28 :shock:
  • veronese68
    Cheated and had it running in the car this morning. Half a mile longer due to going round the one way system. half an hour instead of 20 minutes and the traffic was fairly average. 12mph moving average instead of about 15mph on the bike.
    Pretty much what I'd expected. I did miss the bike this morning, even though I felt a bit grim.
  • Fu(k.It.

Installed this yesterday and tried it out this morning.....great app and the segments/KOM thing is going to be GREAT fun.

Only picked up Balham Hill (currently 21st, must try harder although I'm a second ahead of Il Principe!) and 36th on the Millbank N-Bound Sprint - may have to alter my route to have a proper pop at one as I turn on from VB and it's not the fastest start.

Room for some improvement on both these :-)

I think I have followed some of the other riders on here, otherwise look for Mark Skrzypczyk to find me :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Once you know where the segments are, that's when you start gunning it. :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Okay, run me through how this works, so I switch it on and start the run into work, then upload to the site, does it then compare the track to segments on the website others have done?
  • dhope
    Paul E wrote:
    Okay, run me through how this works, so I switch it on and start the run into work, then upload to the site, does it then compare the track to segments on the website others have done?
    Yep, that's it.
    Only picked up Balham Hill (currently 21st, must try harder although I'm a second ahead of Il Principe!) and 36th on the Millbank N-Bound Sprint - may have to alter my route to have a proper pop at one as I turn on from VB and it's not the fastest start.

8th on BH atm, though I did make an effort to move out into traffic and put in a bit of effort once I realised there was a segment :roll:

This is going to result in some tired legs on the way to work once I start remembering where every segment is.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    Ok so few pints at the Morpeth tonight and then I may head down to have a stab at Balham Hill. Slightliy worried at the 22% gradient as I'm no climber but after a few pints of Gold anything is achievable (I once managed to keep ahead of JG).
  • dhope wrote:
    8th on BH atm, though I did make an effort to move out into traffic and put in a bit of effort once I realised there was a segment :roll:

This is going to result in some tired legs on the way to work once I start remembering where every segment is.

+1 I was having a look on the Google Maps for the segment trying to figure it out where I need to apply the beans...doesn't look like I can let off the gas until I pass M&S. Just gotta hope the segment doesn't include traffic lights!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • JZed wrote:
    Ok so few pints at the Morpeth tonight and then I may head down to have a stab at Balham Hill. Slightliy worried at the 22% gradient as I'm no climber but after a few pints of Gold anything is achievable (I once managed to keep ahead of JG).

I'm guessing he was still sat at the bar at the time ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Once you know where the segments are, that's when you start gunning it. :D

There's just nowhere to hide any more. Think i'm going to have to get some turbo training in for a bit of a power boost.

I like the way it tells you who was riding alongside you. The next iteration of the app must surely show you your "followers" on the map when they are in range.
    SCR by radar: would be great.