Any London left?

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I think you'll find the army is busy elsewhere - TBH they don't have the equipment or training to deal with riots - stay safe folks
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Interesting comment on Reddit about the Vancouver riots; apparently after it happened pictures of the rioters were put up all over the city on bustops etc... Loads of people were identified and prosecuted for this. What an excellent idea.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    In all seriousness, this is pretty bad. Probably only a matter of time before lives are lost, fires getting out of hand. It really does sadden me to see this in this country. Just hope it does not spread, and it does calm down.

The scenes I see look like the Blitz, almost firestorms happening.

Has society come to this, what has really gone wrong, is there still such a downtrodden part of society that feels the need to do what they are doing.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Starting in Birmingham city centre - reports of youth smashing shop windows
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    It's just kids, on summer holidays, out for some "fun". Nothing to do with social injustice or that bloke that got shot - it's a chance to throw shit at the feds and run around like a gangsta innit.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    I think you'll find the army is busy elsewhere - TBH they don't have the equipment or training to deal with riots - stay safe folks

Would that be the British Army?

I think you'll find they have a lot of experience dealing with riots. However those tactics are only acceptable in Northern Ireland, not mainland GB.

If this was going on in Ardoyne or Derry 100's of plastic bullets would have been fired by now and in all likelihood rioters would be dead by now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    hfidgen wrote:
    It's just kids, on summer holidays, out for some "fun". Nothing to do with social injustice or that bloke that got shot - it's a chance to throw shoot at the feds and run around like a gangsta innit.
    Is that why all the shops they're burning out are owned by Tories?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Jay dubbleU

I think you'll find they have a lot of experience dealing with riots. However those tactics are only acceptable in Northern Ireland, not mainland GB.

If this was going on in Ardoyne or Derry 100's of plastic bullets would have been fired by now and in all likelihood rioters would be dead by now.

Different generation TWH - no baton rounds these days - Health and Safety
  • tailwindhome

51 plastic bullets were fired in Ardoyne on 12th July 2011.

Granted it was the police not the army firing them.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU

Against petrol bombs and firearms I understand - don't blame them - I'd want something more than a riot shield if someone was shooting at me - baton rounds these days have a lower velocity than in the 80s
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2011

Ha! Love it! Clearly a criminal mastermind. At least he'll be able to get well buff wiv 'is skanky Holland & Barret whey protein while in prison.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    On the issue of racism
    I have been stopped by the police more times than I can remember. The first time was when I was about 15 and living in the affluent London suburb of Barnet. I was asked my name and when I gave it the copper said, "Ah, you must be xxx's brother" (which I am). My brother has never been in trouble with the police but he got stopped so often that the local police knew his name/face well enough to recognise me as his brother.

My nephews are now going through the same thing. Due to their work they are often out and about late at night/early in the morning and I have seen first hand how they are treated by the police. Not well.

Yes i have mates who are regularly stopped by the police, including one who is a mercury music prize winning jazz artist, and another high profile sound engineer who even attract police attention at thier own gigs!!
  • tailwindhome

Against petrol bombs and firearms I understand - don't blame them - I'd want something more than a riot shield if someone was shooting at me - baton rounds these days have a lower velocity than in the 80s

Don't particularly blame them either. Just never understood the distinction between what is acceptable in London and acceptable in Belfast.

We'll see how things develop.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    edited August 2011
    hfidgen wrote:
    It's just kids, on summer holidays, out for some "fun". Nothing to do with social injustice or that bloke that got shot - it's a chance to throw shoot at the feds and run around like a gangsta innit.

You for real? Do all the rich, white, right wing corner shop owners look like this in your mind?

industrial-pollution-copyright1.gif

There's a social element for sure - but I don't think they're out there to make a big political statement.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Jay dubbleU

Don't particularly blame them either. Just never understood the distinction between what is acceptable in London and acceptable in Belfast.

We'll see how things develop.

Have to agree with you - a riot is a riot and should be dealt with the same anywhere in the UK
  • Jay dubbleU
    hfidgen wrote:
    hfidgen wrote:

You for real? Do all the rich, white, right wing corner shop owners look like this in your mind?

industrial-pollution-copyright1.gif

And what about the people living above the carpet shop in Tottenham - or maybe they were bankers in disguise
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Who was the fixie fashionista who rode behind the BBC reporter on the news then? One of us?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jay dubbleU
    ddraver wrote:
    Who was the fixie fashionista who rode behind the BBC reporter on the news then? One of us?

Try these guys http://www.lfgss.com/ :wink:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Police ignored all the kids turning up at Clapham and now they are just looting without any hinderance.
  • I think you'll find the army is busy elsewhere - TBH they don't have the equipment or training to deal with riots - stay safe folks

And who exactly is going to order the Army in?
    If I was a senior (Brigadier and above) officer I would have my phone turned off and ear plugs in.
    Ask the Para's if they think they were supported in the latest 'Bloody Sunday' findings.
    Would you want to be in command?

People are questioning the actions of the police in the Duggan shooting, what do they think the army will do?

I personally would be quite happy to see pictures of Range Rovers travelling from Hereford and Poole and Army trucks on route and would accept the consequences, I'm not sure that 'community leaders' and social appologists would agree.
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • I'd send in polar bears.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Just to be clear - these looters are doing so purely out of :

A) utter lack of societal moral compass

B) desire to acquire material goods to which they believ they are entitled without the need for bothersome hard graft at school and then in the workforce

As can be evidenced from the glee, laughter, and lighthearted brazenness with which it is all being carried out.

This is not driven by "poverty" - these people all have clothes, and haven't looted supermarkets for food. They are after new trainers which their idols have told them they deserve.

Their other role models have rapped to them about how cool violence is, and they have combined the two.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    I think we could learn a few tips from Syria. A quick phone call to President Assad is needed.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • garnett
    Personally I'm thinking - army stretched, lots of youths who like violence... Iraq and Afghanistan - pick one, and pull out all troops and ship in all the looters convicted of involvement here.

You think you're handy in a ruck? Have a go at the Mujaheddīn.
  • tailwindhome
    I'd send in polar bears.

Genius of a post.
  • Garnett wrote:
    Personally I'm thinking - army stretched, lots of youths who like violence... Iraq and Afghanistan - pick one, and pull out all troops and ship in all the looters convicted of involvement here.

You think you're handy in a ruck? Have a go at the Mujaheddīn.

They could also learn a bit about being socially disadvantaged. Can't see there being much money being spent on youth programs in your average Afgan valley.

Red Ken looking a bit silly on BBC News at the moment. The presenter is properly giving him a hard time over his obvious political posturing, its all the fault of the coallition and Boris apparently. No wonder most people dont trust polititians
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Barry Nice wrote:
    Red Ken looking a bit silly on BBC News at the moment. The presenter is properly giving him a hard time over his obvious political posturing, its all the fault of the coallition and Boris apparently. No wonder most people dont trust polititians

I don't mind the bloke but he did sound like a complete tool on BBC earlier claiming that today's generation are the first in memory who are concerned for their future.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • garnett
    Yeah, Red Ken was a bit of a tool. Sadiq Khan earlier was much better...something like "Too early for political comment. Right now all of Parliament is agreed that this must be stopped."

Sort of like what the shadow cabinet say when we're about to go to war...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

This. More people like her please.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    dhope wrote:
    http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

This. More people like her please.