Any London left?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hey Capitalistas - rioting issues near you over the weekend? Did you get a chance to loot an Evans?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    All i can say is I am glad that i live to the west of the A10!

Not sure there is an Evans round that area anyway - the more i think about it the more likely is that if you see anyone riding a bike in them "ends" then its probably nicked.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nothing in Sheen. Though it would take a national Pimm's shortage to cause upset here. But that will never happen.

Right?

Actually, on NKR a random antique shop appeared to have been looted. Everything else was untouched.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It was the clock shop - cops there when I rolled past at 0700. Carnage looked fresh. All going off in the West London ghetto :wink:
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Helicopters up all night over brixton. you could hear them easily from my flat.

No outward signs of looting in clapham north and stockwell. Was very pleased to see a nice visible police presence when I got ut of the tube last night.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I only loot when I'm sure no-one will get hurt.

No harm in that.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Brixton Station shut this morning!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I heard a Lidl had been looted.

2 possible reasons - the professional e-bayers were clearing it out of that weeks' specials....or the middle classes of North London decided to rise against the horror of cheap, no-brand food......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    [norn iron] Call that a riot? Catch yerself on [/norn iron]
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greg T wrote:

No harm in that.

Sometimes, given the length of the queues and the attitudes of other shop users, it's actually safer to loot.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2011
    Greg T wrote:

No harm in that.
    Editted.. just in case...

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dhope wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

No harm in that.

Sometimes, given the length of the queues and the attitudes of other shop users, it's actually safer to loot.
    But if you're wearing a fire brigade helmet you can loot burning buildings in perfect safety.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    I do find it amusing though that the first reaction of the angry and opressed man is to steal a television. What is it about electrical goods stores and riots? How come they never loot the butcher or the greengrocer? Oh no, beeline to the nearest Dixons every time :D

• DonDaddyD
    It's the whole implied I'm taking something visibly expensive from the 'rich' to keep for myself... Almost like they are expressing frustration at not being able to have these things...

Jewellery stores are always a target. Although these are clearly youth riots so JD Sports better have paid it's insurance and there's gonna be a lot of Nike Air Max floating around on the black market.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    I do find it amusing though that the first reaction of the angry and opressed man is to steal a television. What is it about electrical goods stores and riots? How come they never loot the butcher or the greengrocer? Oh no, beeline to the nearest Dixons every time :D

Of course they'd go for the consumer goods. We're a first world capitalist state, we don't have food riots here...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Gussio wrote:
    It was the clock shop - cops there when I rolled past at 0700. Carnage looked fresh. All going off in the West London ghetto :wink:

they thought it was a Glock shop
    <a>road</a>
  • SimonAH
    What about the great cucumber robberies of 1989?

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmmm, apprently the "bullet lodged in officer's radio during incident in Tottenham was police issue".

So maybe there wasn't an 'exchange of fire' after all.

Not that the police would put out a false version of events to make themselves look good.

*cough* Forestgate *cough* Menezes *cough* Tomlinson *ahem* ooo, excuse me.

Not that it excuses the looting and burning, obviously.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It does not seem hot enough, temperature wise, for all this rioting.
  • rubertoe
    I live in N london - someone just asked me if i thought the Riots/looting would effect me - I very much doubt anyone of my colleagues have been to High Barnet!

those that have will know what i mean....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• SimonAH
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm, apprently the "bullet lodged in officer's radio during incident in Tottenham was police issue".

So maybe there wasn't an 'exchange of fire' after all.

Not that the police would put out a false version of events to make themselves look good.

*cough* Forestgate *cough* Menezes *cough* Tomlinson *ahem* ooo, excuse me.

Not that it excuses the looting and burning, obviously.

It is looking all a bit murky isn't it. "Part of a planned operation"....."Execution not true"...

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The Met is very murky.

It was only a week or two ago that the two most senior people in the force resigned over issues of corruption with the NOTW.

I haven't heard anything more from any members of the met who have been found to have been doing the corrupting.
  • DonDaddyD
    When it first happened the Met (via BBC) was saying that shots were fired, an officer was hit and the victim was killed in the car.

At the same time the BBC reported that an eye witness said that both the driver (later identified as a cab driver) and the victim were placed face down handcuffed and then four shots were fired - they couldn't identify who shot the gun.

What I want to know is what happened to the cab driver? If the victim was shooting from the cab, did he know the cab driver because who just ups and has a shootout with police while in a cab and was this a chase (it wasn't).

Since it turns out that the bullet in the radio was police issue - why did one police officer shoot another - if he was killed on the presumption that he shot back/shot at an officer and he didn't (bullet in the radio wasn't from his gun) then bigger riots will follow.

On the riots themselves

The police brought it on themselves with the way they showed no regard for a communities need for answers - given that there were two accounts. Shortly after the shooting the only person calling for calm was the Local MP, the police didn't really issue a follow up report or a statement or show any real concern or interest in the Tottenham community concerns (remember last time this happened said community cut an officers head off) so that was monumentally dumb. As it happened Mrs DDD was saying that by the morning there's going to be a riot - she's had to work there see and in her line of work she has come to understand those in that community.

People were portesting outside the police station (and, again, on the BBC) and a reporter said that a woman who was shouting got too close and the police pushed her back. This angered those in the crowd and the riot kicked off.

But the police will escape being criticised as always.
    Food Chain number = 4

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Since it turns out that the bullet in the radio was police issue

Was the type of bullet the police use and so was probably police issue. I know it's not a big assumption, but it's still jumping to conclusions to say that it was the police who fired that bullet.

This is the kind of chinese whispers that starts riots. Before we know it general commuting will be burning and people will be looting the commuting workshop.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Was the type of bullet the police use and so was probably police issue. I know it's not a big assumption, but it's still jumping to conclusions to say that it was the police who fired that bullet.

This is the kind of chinese whispers that starts riots. Before we know it general commuting will be burning and people will be looting the commuting workshop.

Fair point, the victim could have had a coppers gun in his possession.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rubertoe
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do we know that the Gun wasn't stolen from the police or that the weapon wasn't left on the tube for a lucky villain to find on their journey home... we know how these can happen with supposedly secure govt docs/equipment.

Anyway - anyione got any inclination where tonights riots will kick off - i want a new Lappie...

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The police brought it on themselves with the way they showed no regard for a communities need for answers - given that there were two accounts.

Is it not a bit premature to want 'answers' though? All shooting incidents are investigated by the IPCC, but you are not going to get answers in just two days.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    i left home a few minutes earlier today, my cycle commute route takes me through chingford, walthamstow, tottenham hale etc, so gave myself time to make detours due to road blocks etc.

i was amazed at how tranquil it was. Didnt need to detour, roads were peaceful. Sure, there was definitely a higher police presence - more foot patrols, more riot vans at strategic points, but definitely more peaceful too.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The police brought it on themselves

What leaving all those mobile phones in the shop and failing to adequately fortify "sporting" goods stores?

Grievance my arse
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I am not sure how you can define a bullet as being issued by Police - in fact you can't, they are not serial numbered. The head itself will have no redeeming feature or serial number - only military and Police have 'official' access to hollowpoint heads - however, hollow points would not be issued without extreme circumstances and would not be carried as standard. This does not mean that someone else has not got some or made some hollowpoints - fairly simple job. The cartridge will, more than likely be 9mm, very generic for a handgun fired by Police or gangstars - I believe that most automatic pistols are now 9mm with the odd exception.

It is only when you get into more obscure ammunition that you can definitively say 'the Police did not fire that'

i.e. .357 Colt Magnum, 44 S & W Magnun, .45 Colt Magnum - It would be extremely unusual for the Police to use these types of ammunition for cost reasons more than anything else.

I think this is bullSh1t and not relevent - matching ammunition to a specific weopon can only be done with the spent casing. Every firing pin in the weopon makes a unique mark on the casing primer, without the casing the whole argument is flawed.

Rumour and conjecture start this sort of riot and it looks like a load of people just wanted an excuse to go nuts and loot.....IMHO.