Any London left?

Comments

• dilemna wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    plenty of yoofs on bikes - wonder where they nicked them from?

Halfords might be our saviour yet, if as they are renouned for, they didn't assemble them properly as the thieving thugs might then end up mortally injured when the wheels fall off or the back to front forks cause them to crash.

:D:D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pulls up a chair, opens a beer and sits down for a night of live rioting....

Maybe its just practice for some new Olympic events for next year - the Mens 4x4 burning, the 400 meters with a TV, syncronised bin burning.

Ha ha Well played sir. chapeau. :D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Fed up of all these people on TV explaining "issues", these rioters aren't protesting outside of police stations. I see no billboards complaining about stop and search. All I see is f*ckers cowardly hiding their identities, setting fire to peoples livelihoods, smashing buses and looting.

Pathetic - simple as.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Twitter is saying Bromley's going to kick off soon.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Boris is on way home..... Birmingham is kicking off to by the sounds of it. They want a piece of the action!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    nich wrote:
    Twitter is saying Bromley's going to kick off soon.

Phew, it could do with a good cleanse by fire.

Passed by 6 riot vans on the way back steaming through the City eastwards
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK

I'm of a generation that has no real love for the police but I've never been searched by the police. I've been stopped but I was kinda glad, we were about to do something stupid and peer pressure had me wandering along. However, I have friends that, when around 15-16, were cornered in a club and beaten and routinely stopped and treated with such contempt and I have other stories seen other things.

Interestingly enough my brother was stopped in Hammersmith, I was furious my Father not so much.

Now my Dad was of the generation that rioted in Brixton he vividly remembers being stopped (SUS laws) so many times he actually expected it every single day. He recalled once where he stopped in his work branded car outside the office and was stopped and searched and then when leaving the building - same day - to get back in his car was stopped and searched. He hated the police. My Dad is 49, 20 years older than me - this was the 80s.

On my brother's stop and search my Dad said that it's actually a good thing they're stopping and searching teenagers. "Teenagers, and these days it extends beyond ethnicity, with so many stabbings, many carrying blades for "protection" and the proportion that are generally unruly they need policing" - he surmises.

More interestingly my brother didn't mind either. The police stopped every teenager white, black, asian anyone and everyone who was a teenager. They asked questions and handed out information. In contrast that was good policing in an area with high teenage crime.

You see my Dad (and I agree) reckons that the teenagers today can't really complain about police conduct in the way he can. The vast majority of them haven't had to deal with the absolute and blatant racism he has had to. It's common knowledge that days gone by the police harboured institutional racism. These day's not so much if at all really.

People are rioting and taking it out on the police. I don't blame the police for it (despite what I said earlier). I think the actions taken born out of any anger and frustration cannot be excused. Someone said it earlier, most riots are politically charged and it's too easy to overlook that in these are poor areas where people feel disenfranchised and are having to suffer severe cuts and they want to lash out and have siezed the oppurtunity.

So, in part I taken back some of what I said about the police in my earlier post. Nothing excuses the riots and trouble in Enfield, Hackney, Islington, Brixton, Peckham, Lewisham an Oxford street. There was a person on the BBC saying that the police are now afraid to use any kind of real force to combat the riots having been so heavily criticised. In these instances I think they need to.

However, the Tottenham riots I do believe was a result of mishandling by the police/IPCC. It was reported (on the BBC by an independant reporter) that the police pushed a female protester and that's when the crowd got nasty. The operation and aftermath wasn't managed effectively and we know the result rightly or wrongly people were angry about that and the whole thing could have been handled a better IMO.

Those of you that called me out on the circumstances of how the victim was shot were quite right.

My 2 pence.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Is all this 24-hour live news coverage helping though? Or is it just giving others ideas of what to do to get on the TV? And how to cause most mischief - I've just learned the best way to set a car on fire thanks to some overhead coverage.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Feck. All just kicked off here on Walworth Road. Hundreds of people carrying bundles of stuff and dumping it in bins and under cars in our street. Got some video, but pretty apprehensive about getting seen in our flat. 2 sports shops and Argos at least, from what's gone down our street.

Again, utterly brazen, and all from one demographic.

Riot van's just turned up and they're all running off.

Anyone else wondering what can be done when the police refuse to do anything?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Garnett wrote:
    Then they started talking like other have here, about how the rioters are not responsible for their actions

Literally nobody has said this on here.
  • DonDaddyD
    Is Cameron going to cut his holiday short....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited August 2011
    I've spent pretty much all of the last three days driving around in a van and I've mainly been getting news from BBC Radio and a little bit of rolling news when I get home, but when I heard it was kicking off in Tottenham on Saturday, I went there at about 2am.

No, I am not a protester/rioter/looter, I was concerned for my family who live in Tottenham.
    My sister lives halfway between Broadwater Farm (scene of the first Tottenham riots in 1985), and Tottenham High Road (scene of Tottenham riots, the sequel).

My nephew is a sound engineer and I called him to ask if he needed a hand shifting speakers/amps etc and I passed a burning police car at High Cross (just down the road from Duggan's shooting) on my way to help him. I didn't see any looting, the High Road was cordoned off by then, but I did see lots of people hanging around taking pictures/videos with their mobile phones. Harringey (and Tottenham in particular) is a pretty racially diverse place and there was the usual mix of blacks, whites & asians as well as the newcomers, the eastern Europeans, but I would say that one of the largest racial groups there were the Hassidic Jews who had come down from Stamford Hill.

Whilst I was in the area, I didn't see any illegal activity, just people milling around.

My nephew's and his friends Facebook pages are all about the riots and condeming them (the rioters/looters, not the Jews)*. These guys all grew up in Tottenham and none of them would dream of rioting. I think this shows that its not where you grow up, but how you are brought up that makes a rioter. Financial/social circumstances obviously makes a difference, but generally good people don't riot/loot.

On the issue of racism
    I have been stopped by the police more times than I can remember. The first time was when I was about 15 and living in the affluent London suburb of Barnet. I was asked my name and when I gave it the copper said, "Ah, you must be xxx's brother" (which I am). My brother has never been in trouble with the police but he got stopped so often that the local police knew his name/face well enough to recognise me as his brother.

My nephews are now going through the same thing. Due to their work they are often out and about late at night/early in the morning and I have seen first hand how they are treated by the police. Not well.

If the good guys (my nephews are both graduates, one with a Masters and neither drinks or smokes anything) get treated badly, its not surprising the not so good guys get lots of hassle (some justified, some maybe not) and getting this hassle regularly would wind them up to the point of rioting. Very wrong, but I can see how it gets to this point.

There is no excuse for looting.

Essay over, I'm going to the pub.

*edited after posting. Last thing we need now is to throw anti-semitism into the mix, but I did see a Jew on a BSO RLJing a few days earlier.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Is Cameron going to cut his holiday short....

Maybe he is up for a bit of rioting too.... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Dont go ro McDonalds in Barnet Eke - its been shut down and boarded up!!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jzed
    Load of coward scroats around Clapham Junction station - just waiting around for something to happen - they've turned up because of twitter messages but don't seem to be enough of them..Congregating outside JD Sports - bit of a theme emerging. They're all teenagers who I imagine, aren't oppressed by the police but after some trainers

Even saw one on his bike fall off in front of a car. Shame it didn't hit him - he then got back on, turned round and road straight at the traffic.

Shame all us residents don't go and congregate to protect our community They'd soon bottle it..
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    They've hit Halfords in Brixton! You'll be able to walk on teeth around there as all the badly assembled BSOs hurl their pilots into the curb as the forks fall off!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Can see 3 helicopters and a tower of smoke over to the north in Hackney. Sounds like they're all having fun!

No groups of kids in Bow or Mile End as yet glad to say!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • DonDaddyD
    Alright it's getting stupid..

Someone tell the police to use tear gas, water cannons and plastic batons kick some ass...

"You oiks want a ruck!"
    Food Chain number = 4

• jzed
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Someone tell the police to use tear gas, water cannons and plastic batons kick some ass...

"You oiks want a ruck!"

+1 - cars, houses, how long until they kill someone.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Tempting fate but Brixton looks quiet at the moment from my balcony...

Not close enough to see people on the ground though
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"You oiks want a ruck!"

+1 - Except they don't have any... will take another couple of days to get it in from Belfast :roll:

Live rounds in the kneecaps?
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • garnett
    Clearly trying some upmanship here and trying to start fires. One opposite, next to the sports shop.

Riot Police just turned up. Most of the scum ran. Police hit a few with shields. then put out fire and left 5 riot police in a thin spread out line at the top of our street, who stood there for a while then backed up together then scappered

Well organised. Get the sense they're doing what they can.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Send in the army, some water cannons and some alsatians that haven't been fed in days.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • garnett
    Seriously thinking they should be calling in the army.

Talking to work friend of missus, who lives in Croyden but who is still at work. Don't know whether she's safer coming here. Fire's still burning at end of the road, and the crowd's swelling again. Reckon they're g-ing up to hit another rake of shops.
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Send the army in..... ..........absolutely disgraceful.
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • DonDaddyD
    Just had to make sure my brother was OK. Proper fuc<ing scared for a moment. He goes home via West Croydon, saw trouble building (this was earlier) so got on a bus which stopped at Thorton Heath (no more buses from there) so had to walk round my Nan. Apparently people walking around and crowd could potentially build...
    :cry:

Dad's picked him up.
    Food Chain number = 4

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    This is now out of hand. Army, strongarm tactics, now.

Seriously. Get indoors or get seriously smacked.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mate of mine on the TSG told me about their average posting.
    Turn up for a briefing and are informed about the local problem they are there to address. They are shown photos and are given offender profiles of the main protagonists, given peak times and locations and told to go forth and solve the issue. If the information is ignored is this not avoiding what you have been specifically asked to do? I have however been stopped myself, (only a few times) and on one occasion the blokes attitude was appalling.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4