Any London left?

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Seems like Iran disagree with me:
    Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has urged the UK government to avoid "harsh confrontation" and exercise restraint when dealing with demonstrators, BBC Monitoring reports.

Also if the met has 32,000 officers and they were receiving support from Essex and Surrey, why were there only 6,000 out last night.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    JZed wrote:
    georgee wrote:
    Time for Teresa May to go isn't it? what an utter balls up, shameful to watch the police behaving like such cowards.

I'm going to agree. Just been listening to her and got zero confidence from her. She is out of her depth and not a good strong figure to convince the public that the government can get this under control. Hopefully Cameron is going to be stronger.

Robust policing - as Jim Royal would say - my ars*.

Totally agree. She's on another planet.

Police afraid of giving anyone a good whacking it seems.

Needs to be a curfew tonight.

Teargas and rubber bullets would soon see them off.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Colonel Kilgore said it best............

"F****** savages"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    Colonel Kilgore said it best............

"F****** savages"

Col Kilgore also said it with a metric f*ckton of irony, as he was just as savage as the people he was calling savages :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    JZed wrote:
    Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has urged the UK government to avoid "harsh confrontation" and exercise restraint when dealing with demonstrators, BBC Monitoring reports.

Also if the met has 32,000 officers and they were receiving support from Essex and Surrey, why were there only 6,000 out last night.

iran the center for human rights...

if this had happened in Iran i wonder if they would have avoided confrontationand exercised restraint
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.

He was right you know.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    JZed wrote:
    Sky News were making the same mistake last night (Livinstone appeared on BBC so I switched channels).

The are not demonstrators they are criminals who need to be dealt with swiftly and with the full force of the law

At the moment there's too much "letting them get away with it" which just breads further violence as they think that they can. A concentrated show of force is needed to deter a further spread and restore calm.

BTW, love the polar bears post!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jzed
    Geraint Thomas (Via Twitter:
    Can't believe what's happening back home!! Get the army in, round them all up and ship them to Afghanistan. Give them something to fight for

Now there's an idea.
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    (Livinstone appeared on BBC so I switched channels).!

He joined the list of people I would currently mostly like to give a slap to, along with Theresa May, and many of the commentators trying to provide a reason for this, other than Sketchleys - they just want trainers - which as last night in Clapham proved is really the case.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    At the moment there's too much "letting them get away with it" which just breads further violence as they think that they can. A concentrated show of force is needed to deter a further spread and restore calm.

I don't applaude violence, but seeing these little s***s destroy people homes and livelihoods is making my blood boil, especially as it the other 99.9% percent of the law abidding population who is going to end up paying for it.

If I turn on the TV tonight and see pictures of police kicking the cr*p out of one of these hooded crims, I for one won't be upset.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.

He was right you know.

I was waiting for someone to post this. Was only a matter of time.

Its crazy whats going on here. They're just kids, if there was any show of authority they'd back down. So far they've been given free reign to loot and pillage.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    JZed wrote:
    Geraint Thomas (Via Twitter:
    Can't believe what's happening back home!! Get the army in, round them all up and ship them to Afghanistan. Give them something to fight for

Now there's an idea.

Afghanistan - too nice.

One of the African war zones would suit me. Drop them off there. If they still alive in 6 months ,5 years probation with records wiped clean if they stay trouble-free. I am livid.

"They're just kids, if there was any show of authority they'd back down. So far they've been given free reign to loot and pillage."

My thoughts too as I watched the mayhem on Sky News last night.

Now, apparently, the London jails are full. What's the betting some of the rabble will take this as encouragement to continue tonight?
  • Sewinman - I live in CJ too and found the whole experience somewhat surreal (why on earth is no-one stopping these people?) and scary at the same time with huge mobs of people wandering around. The fires that were started in Croydon and CJ were pretty scary too.

The firefighters were clearly just leaving cars to burn as they had more urgent stuff to deal with and didn't want to get attacked whilst doing their jobs either.

The complete lawlessness across London (and spreading to other cities) is very scary. I would like the Govt & Police to get a grip. If that means water cannons / the army then so be it.
  • bails87
    The British Army is a professional fighting force, one we can be proud of because it's professional and voluntary. It's not a dumping ground for criminals.
    MTB/CX

• garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Have to say all Theresa May's tough talk of CCTV and community action is scary stuff. That's right kids, you're all gonna be grassed up by all those friends and family members you have with morals and social conscience.

:roll:

No indication that tonight is going to be any different. Could even prove worse, if the crowds all gather then realise there are no more worthwhile looting targets - might just sway them to focus on vandalism and violence instead.
  • jzed
    (why on earth is no-one stopping these people?)

The police at the top of the station said that they were over-stretched and everyone had been called to Croydon. It was only around 11.30pm that a police presence seemed to arrive.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If that means water cannons / the army then so be it.

I can't work out why this isn't just regarded as a no brainer. I can't understand why they didn't deploy the army yesterday (unless there aren't any left.....)

As to the suggestions of dumping the the scum in Africa or Afghanistan - seems hardly fair on the inhabitants of those places. I'd drop them somewhere uninhabited in Svalbard......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I recognise this is perhaps not right but I'm on their side:-
    This is what someone sent me.....
    You remember Green Lanes,where we used to live - it was fine btw. Apparently the turkish store and restaurant owners all went and stood out in front of their business with machetes and shit. No one f****d with them.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Rolf F wrote:
    If that means water cannons / the army then so be it.

I can't work out why this isn't just regarded as a no brainer. I can't understand why they didn't deploy the army yesterday (unless there aren't any left.....)

As to the suggestions of dumping the the scum in Africa or Afghanistan - seems hardly fair on the inhabitants of those places. I'd drop them somewhere uninhabited in Svalbard......

Has the army ever been deployed on the streets of mainland GB before?

The political impact of conceding that the police no longer have control of the city would be huge.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Apparently there aren't any water canons in London.

Same reason why there aren't any snowplows.

It costs something like £6million for 5, and there hadn't been a proper riot for a long time.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Apparently the Notting Hill Carnival is being massively scaled down. Anticipated attendance plummetted overnight as the majority are staying in to watch at home in 3D.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    bails87 wrote:
    The British Army is a professional fighting force, one we can be proud of because it's professional and voluntary. It's not a dumping ground for criminals.

+1
  • bails87
    Problems with water cannons according to people on Sky News last night:

1. We don't have any

2. They're not licensed for use, and have not been used for a very long time, if ever, on the British mianland.

3. Even if they were used, where do you put them? Police in cars and vans can't keep up with the 'smash and grab' nature of the violence, so how does a great big trundling water tanker keep up?
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Garnett wrote:
    Apparently the Notting Hill Carnival is being massively scaled down. Anticipated attendance plummetted overnight as the majority are staying in to watch at home in 3D.

Thats a f&*king odious statement. I bet you're loving all this aren't you?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A comment on BBC Website:
    Chris is a Met police office from south london. He has cancelled his holiday to help with the crisis. He tells BBC 5 live that "morale is high" among his colleagues. "The people who were out on the streets looting, are the people we've been arresting time and time again and have been in front of the courts and walked. This is happening as a result of our failure of instilling disclipine."

It opportunistic criminal behaviour, this isn't a protest about anything.

Would it really have cost too much to build more prisons? We need the police to get the water cannons and rubber bullets out and see how tough these little looters are, and start giving our courts the power to lock up our criminals.

As for dumping the perpetrators elsewhere - Its our problem to sort out as I suspect the vast majority of those involved will be British citizens. Anecdotal evidence suggests in areas with high immigrant popualtions, the immigrant community were out inforce protecting their own property and businesses and giving some of the thugs a bloody nose in the process - good on 'em.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    An interesting article, but will no doubt irritate some people on here. It takes a brief look at the cause of this behaviour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/0 ... -exclusion
    ^^
    Experts used!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    JZed wrote:

But how many are on call at any one time?

They are human and need rest, could be away on holiday or off ill.
    Given the grief thay have taken for being too heavy handed in the past can you blame them for standing off?
    This Country does not have enough Emergency Service personnel or armed forces to deal with all it's commitments. We are seeing the result.
    Time for the communities to make a stand. Then anarchy will be complete.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I read that paramedics and firemen were being attacked by the rioters. Looting is one thing, attacking those that are trying to help is sickening. Surely a few soldiers could be attached to each fire truck/ambulance so they can protect them while they work. Free up the police to concentrate on the rioters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited August 2011
    The political impact of conceding that the police no longer have control of the city would be huge.

Would it? The yobs have a technological advantage (in comms) that they didn't before which means that it is understandably harder for the police to deal with it than in the past. Bringing in the Army seems a logical reaction.

Quite honestly, I'd have thought the political impact of keeping fingers crossed and hoping that the police will sort it out and failing is going to be rather greater than just bringing in the army and getting it sorted out quick sharp.

I expect a lot of the looters will get picked up via their Ebay accounts.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jzed
    daviesee wrote:
    But how many are on call at any one time?

Well considering they are increasing it to 13,000, I'm assuming there could have been 13,000 on the streets last night.