The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    I'm very happy with my AM7. I did initially think it a bit twitchy on descending, but actually I think it is the thru axle making the steering very, very direct. It didn't feel at all out of its depth playing in the DH park in Canazei this summer, and generally has been a delight to own.

I can also put in a good word for Canyon customer service. Cullen is responsive and helpful. I had a problem with one of the SPD pedals I bought with the bike. Cullen organised them to go back to Madison, and I'm told a new pair is on their way to me. Friendly and easy, can't ask for more.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • I have loved my 2011 XC 7.0 since I got it, and it is truly a wonderful bike. I actually prefer it to the Zesty I demo'd before I got this.

But, I had a nasty crash the other day involving a gorse bush and a steep 6 foot bank. I had managed to knock the front brake caliper and the handlebars out of alignment which were easily remedied there and then, but I didn't realise until later that I had bent the rear mech hanger. Disaster. So I pop off to Canyon's website to order a replacement. Firstly, it cost £25 including delivery (!) and to top it off its not being delivered until mid December. I am a huge advocate of Canyon, their customer service has been top notch but why oh why does it take a month and cost the earth to send the tiniest little piece of metal?!?
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    edited November 2011
    I have loved my 2011 XC 7.0 since I got it, and it is truly a wonderful bike. I actually prefer it to the Zesty I demo'd before I got this.

But, I had a nasty crash the other day involving a gorse bush and a steep 6 foot bank. I had managed to knock the front brake caliper and the handlebars out of alignment which were easily remedied there and then, but I didn't realise until later that I had bent the rear mech hanger. Disaster. So I pop off to Canyon's website to order a replacement. Firstly, it cost £25 including delivery (!) and to top it off its not being delivered until mid December. I am a huge advocate of Canyon, their customer service has been top notch but why oh why does it take a month and cost the earth to send the tiniest little piece of metal?!?

These guys sell mech hangers, I have got 3 off them........plus I always have a spare in my tool box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hila_ko/m.htm ... ksid=p3686
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    allez24 wrote:
    Will be ordering a Canyon road bike within the next few month but cant decide on a carbon or alli frame. Any suggestions, pointers? Cheers

Study the geometry compared to something you know, go through the Competitive Cyclist bike fit site with a tape measure and pretty much ignore the Canyon sizing tool - it's rubbish. Frame size seems to be wholy dependent on inseam, the Competitive Cyclist one takes 7 or 8 measurements and gives you some usable stats for top tube / stem length etc.
    The Canyon model suggested I go for an XS, eventually went for a medium and with some tweaking it's much closer. There's no way an XS would have worked.
    Having owned carbon, aluminium and a six13 frame with both C and Al I believe there's probably more in the geometry and the way it's built as there is in the material. Personally, I'd go carbon if you can afford as it tends to be lighter and often stiffer (assuming you can't test ride them), but that's no guarantee.
  • Cheers Mojo, but the one I need would actually cost me more from there and would be shipping from Israel... Turns out Canyon aren't shafting me, I just misunderestimated what a new hanger costs. I shall merely wait and go out on the (say it quietly) road bike instead.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    The Israel ones arrive in 3-4 days normally, they are sent via airmail.......has to be better than jumping on a road bike? ;)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cheers Mojo, but the one I need would actually cost me more from there and would be shipping from Israel... Turns out Canyon aren't shafting me, I just misunderestimated what a new hanger costs. I shall merely wait and go out on the (say it quietly) road bike instead.

If its not to badly mangled you can carefully straighten it in a vice using an adjustable spanner. If you have a gas torch you can heat it for a few seconds to help it twist but dont go mad with the heat and have a wet rag handy to cool it. If the threads are knackered I once got another ride out of a hanger using some 2 part metal repair epoxy to hold the mech bolt in place, though I didnt go too far from the car.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Have you tried Cullen in the UK (uk@canyon.com) for your mech hanger. I was in a similar situation to you where I ordered the mech hanger online and I got the email saying delivery would be about a month so contacted Cullen who had stock in the UK. It only took a couple of days to arrive.
  • Can anyone who has a Canyon please inform me how the delivery process works?
    How long it takes to arrive after dispatch?
    Do they let you know what day or time it will be?

Thanks!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    have they sent you the actual dispatch email? or the will be dispatched shortly?if its the email to say they have handed it over to UPS then they will have included a tracking number and a link to the UPS website,it will tell you there an expected delivery date and where it currently is,i got my email on a friday and the bike got delivered on a monday,which was really frustrating because on the tracker it was showing it sat in there depot in leeds on the saturday morning
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • No I haven't had any email yet, but it is due to be dispatched in the next week or two!

Do you know what happens if no one is in to take delivery?
  • stubs
    No I haven't had any email yet, but it is due to be dispatched in the next week or two!

Do you know what happens if no one is in to take delivery?

Its been a few months since I got mine but if I remember right there is an option on the delivery company website to book a preferred delivery date. I have deleted the emails now so cant be certain.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    stubs wrote:
    Its been a few months since I got mine but if I remember right there is an option on the delivery company website to book a preferred delivery date. I have deleted the emails now so cant be certain.
    same here,but i think your right there about being able to book a preferred date,you will know when its due though,because once you get the email with the tracking number,you'll be checking it at least 10 times a day :)
  • stubs
    chez_m356 wrote:
    because once you get the email with the tracking number,you'll be checking it at least 10 times a day :)

Only 10 times a day. I take it you werent that interested :lol: I had the tracker as my home page on my work pooter.
  • Just came across this thread, and since I haven't seen any Canyons on the trails so far I'm quite surprised at the amount of people that have a Canyon over here now. Looking forward to see you guys on trail, I'll give you a silly thumbs up or something :mrgreen:

My 2010 Nerve AM...
    p4pb7408831.jpg

and a video of me riding it in Scotland...
    http://youtu.be/XZg1L_SqNSo

btw ... I'm considering a Flashzone to replace my somewhat tired Demo.
    Anyway .... I'll keep my eyes open for you guys :wink:
  • EEEEEEKK Just got the email saying it should be handed over to UPS within 48 hours! By my calculations, it should be here by the middle of next week!
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Just checked my emails. I had the "handed over to UPS within 48 hours" email at 7AM on the 13/09. Took delivery of the bike at 11:30AM on the 15/09. Really interesting watching it make it's way across Europe.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • chez_m356
    EEEEEEKK Just got the email saying it should be handed over to UPS within 48 hours! By my calculations, it should be here by the middle of next week!
    That probably means tomorrow then,mine was handed over on a friday and by saturday morning is was sat in there depot which is less than 5 miles away from my house,where is stayed till the monday morning :( was well worth the wait though :D
  • I am too excited, I haven't even ridden a mtb in 8 weeks waiting for this bike!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • chez_m356
    just dont forget to check thats everythings tightend up properly,though i must say there was nothing loose on mine,oh and remember that there's an adaptor in the handle of the torque wrench
  • chez_m356
    BkM-SE wrote:
    Just came across this thread, and since I haven't seen any Canyons on the trails so far I'm quite surprised at the amount of people that have a Canyon over here now. Looking forward to see you guys on trail, I'll give you a silly thumbs up or something :mrgreen:

My 2010 Nerve AM...
    p4pb7408831.jpg

That looks really nice,love the colour scheme
  • cheers m8
  • stubs
    chez_m356 wrote:
    BkM-SE wrote:
    Just came across this thread, and since I haven't seen any Canyons on the trails so far I'm quite surprised at the amount of people that have a Canyon over here now. Looking forward to see you guys on trail, I'll give you a silly thumbs up or something :mrgreen:

My 2010 Nerve AM...
    p4pb7408831.jpg

+1 not usually a fan of brown but that looks ace.
  • Last year they seemed to have all sorts of colours. This year not so much. The am 6 only comes in black
  • chez_m356
    stubs wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    BkM-SE wrote:
    My 2010 Nerve AM...
    p4pb7408831.jpg

+1 not usually a fan of brown but that looks ace.
    i could be wrong but i think that is actually copper metallic,i googled the 2010 nerve AM and actually found some more pics of the same bike,definately looks metallic in better light
  • chez_m356
    Last year they seemed to have all sorts of colours. This year not so much. The am 6 only comes in black
    you mean the 2012 am 6 :) well you did get a choice on the 2011 am 6, black which is even blacker than yours,or mamba green,would you have picked mamba green?
  • Probably. just think blacks a bit boring. but they always look better in the flesh!
  • Im hoping my nerve xc is shipped next week as promised. It has already been delayed 3 weeks meaning it failed to arrive before my time off work as originally intended :(
    Can't wait though.
  • Hate to be smug but mine wasn't supposed to be shipped untill week 49 and it is should be shipped today/tomorrow, two weeks early
  • chez_m356
    Probably. just think blacks a bit boring. but they always look better in the flesh!
    They do look better in the flesh,but lets be realistic,at this time of the year,when your actually out on it, its going to spend most of its time mud coloured :lol: