The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• wow400
    wow400 Posts: 11
    Got my XC 7 just under a week ago - from order to receiving it was a week (but that included Fri-Mon being stuck in a German UPS depot!).

The rear mech hanger was cracked & bent but a quick email to Callum got me one in the post the next morning.

Unfortunately, the rear gear set up wasn't (hi & lo screws almost hanging off) so that took me forever to get right as I'm not that au-fait with doing it.

Also, the front hydraulic brake has either got a leak or, more likely, has air in the line as you can squeeze the lever all the way to the bar & still turn the front wheel by hand :(

Mind you, if you keep re-applying the brake, it eventually hardens up.

I did pen an email to Callum (yet again) expressing my displeasure that a £1400 bike was obviously put together on a Friday afternoon & he offered to either take it back & sort it out or pay (to a max of £35/50 - not sure yet!) a LBS to put things right.

Can't knock that at all.

Lovely bike though :lol::mrgreen:
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My bike is out for delivery but I am in work....such a shame.

/Edit :- Father in law popped in to take the pooch for a walk and the delivery guy turned up just as he was at the house.....what a result.
  • Mojo_666
    Set the bike up last night, everything appears to be spot on except for the factory taping on the down tube so will be redoing that tonight.........I get to ride it on Friday.
  • Yeah it was in the wrong place for mine too!

What bike was it again?
  • Mojo_666
    AM 9

Tape was in the right place, just creased and therefore a few folds and gaps which are going to fill up with crap first ride out. :/
  • That looks really nice!
  • I assume you mean the decals when you say tape?
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • Mojo_666
    I assume you mean the decals when you say tape?

Some (maybe all) the new canyons they have decals on the underside of the down tube and they have put helitape over the decals and a little of the frame (there are also patches of heli tape on other know cable rub spots) but the underside of the down tube has not been done very well.

You can see the decals on the torque picture on the home page http://www.canyon.com/_uk/
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    I assume you mean the decals when you say tape?

Some (maybe all) the new canyons they have decals on the underside of the down tube and they have put helitape over the decals and a little of the frame (there are also patches of heli tape on other know cable rub spots) but the underside of the down tube has not been done very well.

You can see the decals on the torque picture on the home page http://www.canyon.com/_uk/

Ahh I see! Not as bad as it sounded then, I was imagining wonky decals!
    Cube Road SL
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I wonder what affect the German brands are having on the UK market. There now seems to be more Canyons, Ghosts and Cubes out on the trails although the usual brands still dominate. Do you think that Trek, Specialized, etc are worried by this better value competition or is it just growing the market?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    poppit wrote:
    I wonder what affect the German brands are having on the UK market. There now seems to be more Canyons, Ghosts and Cubes out on the trails although the usual brands still dominate. Do you think that Trek, Specialized, etc are worried by this better value competition or is it just growing the market?

There might be a bit of getting market share by not taking much profit. Maybe in a few years we will see prices rise when they are established.

We do get screwed on prices in this country when you go to the States and see prices of bikes in shops then you come home and realise all the manufacturer pretty much did was rub out the $ sign and put a £ on the price tag. Classic case my cousin in his local Specialized store bought a Camber for $2,099 price in the UK £1,999. I know the exchange rate isnt as favourable as it used to be but still :?
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    stubs wrote:
    poppit wrote:

There might be a bit of getting market share by not taking much profit. Maybe in a few years we will see prices rise when they are established.

We do get screwed on prices in this country when you go to the States and see prices of bikes in shops then you come home and realise all the manufacturer pretty much did was rub out the $ sign and put a £ on the price tag. Classic case my cousin in his local Specialized store bought a Camber for $2,099 price in the UK £1,999. I know the exchange rate isnt as favourable as it used to be but still :?
    maybe its that people are realising they don't have to pay over the odds for a top bike, is it that the brands in question are cheaper/better value for money, or that the so called big names have had it there own way for so long, that they could charge what they want, knowing that we would pay it?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • wow400 wrote:
    Also, the front hydraulic brake has either got a leak or, more likely, has air in the line as you can squeeze the lever all the way to the bar & still turn the front wheel by hand :(

Mind you, if you keep re-applying the brake, it eventually hardens up.

I did pen an email to Callum (yet again) expressing my displeasure that a £1400 bike was obviously put together on a Friday afternoon & he offered to either take it back & sort it out or pay (to a max of £35/50 - not sure yet!) a LBS to put things right.

Can't knock that at all.

Lovely bike though :lol::mrgreen:

Yikes!

I needed to bleed my front brake as well, although it actually worked unlike yours by the sounds of it.
  • Went out on my first proper ride the other day on my Nerve XC. Very happy with the way it rode, felt very nimble even though initially it felt quite combersome compared with my previous steel hardtail.

Decided to bleed my rear brake as well after the ride as I wasn't happy with the feel. Lot of air, and some pretty manky fluid got flushed out again. I also have replaced the (I presume organic) pads with some sintered ones as I almost completely wore through the front pair in a single ride. I guess thats peak district mud for you. Took the opportunity to align the callipers properly as they were moving the rotor on application.

I also had to adjust the front mech slightly as the low gear limit screw wasn't done as well as it could have been and the chain was rubbing it.
    Minor niggles I know, but still would have been nice if they didn't need to be done as they are pretty simple things to get right.
  • wow400
    Went out on my first proper ride the other day on my Nerve XC. Very happy with the way it rode, felt very nimble even though initially it felt quite combersome compared with my previous steel hardtail.

Decided to bleed my rear brake as well after the ride as I wasn't happy with the feel. Lot of air, and some pretty manky fluid got flushed out again. I also have replaced the (I presume organic) pads with some sintered ones as I almost completely wore through the front pair in a single ride. I guess thats peak district mud for you. Took the opportunity to align the callipers properly as they were moving the rotor on application.

I also had to adjust the front mech slightly as the low gear limit screw wasn't done as well as it could have been and the chain was rubbing it.
    Minor niggles I know, but still would have been nice if they didn't need to be done as they are pretty simple things to get right.

Agreed, it wouldn't take much for them to get the little things right!

Nice bikes though!
  • After 13 patient weeks I've finally taken delivery of my Nerve AM 7.0! I went for the Lime Green color and it looks awesome in the flesh! I'm 5'9 and went for a medium. Fit seems good.

I've only had a quick blast around the block but I'm pretty pleased with it. This is my first proper trail bike and am used to riding a steep angled ridgid (yes ridgid), the lazier handling immediatly grabbed my attention and might take me some getting used too! I'm looking forward to pointing it down a hill as this is where my previous bike felt twitchy.

Upon unpacking I noticed my rear gear cable was damaged where it entered the shifter. Thankfully Canyon have agreed to cover the costs of getting it fixed.
    As Wow400 mentioned, my front mech indexing was also slightly off to, not a big issue but its the little things that count.

They are indeed nice bikes though!
    Cube Road SL
  • SH4RKY
    SH4RKY Posts: 38
    Ooo.... Green.... Got any pictures?? I cant decide on Mamba green or Raw for the Nerve 8.0x
  • Just ordered my nerve xc online. Never ordered a bike online without seeing or riding it. Hope its what i want as i started with a price an after spending weeks looking nearly ended up spending double. Think the matt black/silver is my choice of colour as i,ve really gone off the shiney paint finishes. (Started out wanting something bright and beautifull). Hopefully arrives in about a week as i,m off to Cwmcarn sat 28th jan.
  • I see they have gone up in price , does anyone have the nerve 8.0x? as i'm thinking of getting one.Cheers
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • The AM 6 is £30 cheaper compared to when i bought it
  • Mojo_666
    webby 1805 wrote:
    I see they have gone up in price , does anyone have the nerve 8.0x? as i'm thinking of getting one.Cheers

Technically the price doesn't change, just the exchange rate from Sterling to Euro, so what YOU pay may change but not THE price. :lol:
  • SH4RKY
    SH4RKY Posts: 38
    CW6 cannot come soon enough.... Ordered a Raw 8.0x!

At least i hope it will be 6! On Friday delivery said immediately, then today the Mamba jumped to 14! So will see what time they schedule when the order is processed tomorrow :D

Went with Raw based on this picture and with the slight feeling the green wouldn't 'age' well...

6638626263343763.jpg

:D
  • Mojo_666
    Raw looks better in that pic than on the website.
  • Just ordered my nerve xc online. Never ordered a bike online without seeing or riding it. Hope its what i want as i started with a price an after spending weeks looking nearly ended up spending double. Think the matt black/silver is my choice of colour as i,ve really gone off the shiney paint finishes. (Started out wanting something bright and beautifull). Hopefully arrives in about a week as i,m off to Cwmcarn sat 28th jan.

Order date immediatly but delivery listed cw5 once order was confirmed..... Bike arrived on 24th. Earlier than expected. Didnt get to ride it before Cwmcarn. It through me off after 10 mins of riding but i put that down to getting used to the bike. After being out on it all day its awesome. Great in every way except the seat which i need to change. Would recommend to anyone.
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 silver/black. Reverb

WOW.

7 Days from delivery...

PPI or what ever it is called fitted the bike perfectly for me.

Built it and I am more impressed with looks than the brouchures.

Took it Gisburn forest yesterday and the ability and quality of the bike is outstounding. Worth every penny.
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • wow400
    Were there any problems when the bike arrived (rear mech hanger / brakes / gears)?
  • Guys - I'm looking to buy a Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 but I'm not sure about the frame size I need.
    The website suggests a small frame once my messurements are entered in.
    However I've been testing a Specialized Stumpjumper comp medium frame size which feels pretty comfy.
    Can anyone help?
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    You can't really compare sizes between different manufacturers as they all measure their frames differently. The type of riding also has an influence on size too. The website is normally pretty accurate if your measurements are accurate, but your best bet might be to put a guideline of your details on here and see if anyone on here is a similar size...

Fwiw I have a medium Torque Frx and it fits perfectly for me at a very average 5ft10
  • Thanks Horton. My measurements are....

Height = 5'10 (178cm)
    Inseam = 78cm
    Body Weight = 88 kg
    Age = 32
    Arm Length = 67cm
    Torso Length = 75cm

I think it's recomemnding a small frame size because I have short legs (jean leg length usually = 30 inch leg) and a long torso??
  • Horton wrote:
    You can't really compare sizes between different manufacturers as they all measure their frames differently. The type of riding also has an influence on size too. The website is normally pretty accurate if your measurements are accurate, but your best bet might be to put a guideline of your details on here and see if anyone on here is a similar size...

Height = 5'10 (178cm)
    Inseam = 78cm
    Body Weight = 88 kg
    Age = 32
    Arm Length = 67cm
    Torso Length = 75cm

I think it's recomemnding a small frame size because I have short legs (jean leg length usually = 30 inch leg) and a long torso??