The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    The new ones are looking hot, I want to be an owner of one.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2011/ ... bikes.html

good spot dude.. when did u see that, it was not there like 2 days ago. mike wonts a new toy :lol:

Matt gets the good spot award m8, he sent me the link this morning, and yeah I want a new toy. ;)
  • Yeah I joined the mailing list for this. Thinking of getting a Torque next year if I get the higher paid of the jobs I'm applying for.

For reference I'm 5'8" and have a small. Although I'm more in proportion than you and your tiny 29" legs.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Shackster wrote:

I am one of said mates (the shorter of the two; 170cm tall and inseam 79cm; sorry to be all euro but that's how they ask for it! also torso 61, arm 64). At first it wouldn't select a size for me, so I upped the inseam measurement very slightly and it recommended a small. As I was comfortable that I'd still have enough ball clearance (having tried a M without issues), I was happy to go with the small. I was still a bit worried about the top tube length as I was coming off a mid 90s hardtail race machine, but it's fine, don't feel cramped or like I'm sitting up too straight or anything.

I've ridden nearly 600 miles on it and love it; it's perfect for me. It'll be on the Surrey Hills on the 11th if you're around! (with the mediums as well!)

That would be great to just have a bit of a pedal around on both sizes, I'm only about 20 mins from Surrey Hills so could probably pop down for a bit. Would be nice to check out the quality of the bike too.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Loving the look of the new ones, the AM specifically. So tempting!
  • For reference I'm 5'8" and have a small. Although I'm more in proportion than you and your tiny 29" legs.

I never realised how weird my small legs were until I saw my ghost rider on the canyon bike sizing tool. I'm almost embarrassed to get on a bike now!
  • Strive's appear to be all sold out. Dan sad. :(
  • Dannyrado wrote:
    Strive's appear to be all sold out. Dan sad!

The 2012 bikes will be available in a few weeks.
  • Brood
    Brood Posts: 138
    I thought they were only available from Feb/March
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Brood wrote:
    I thought they were only available from Feb/March

I emailed Canyon and asked them when the 2012 bikes would be available for purchase and they told me to keep an eye on the website "Mid September" take this info without warranty etc etc, but "MY" understanding is that these bikes will be released within the next few weeks and I have some cash here waiting just in case they are.

.....If not, well I am patient so I will wait......
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I was told this about an AL hardtail by Canyon UK.

All the information about the 2012 bikes, including the specification, price and production schedule, will be announced on the website during September this year.

Realistically we would expect a bike like this to come off the production line in early spring 2012. But nothing is set in stone until the production schedule is on the website in September.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:
    I was told this about an AL hardtail by Canyon UK.

All the information about the 2012 bikes, including the specification, price and production schedule, will be announced on the website during September this year.

Realistically we would expect a bike like this to come off the production line in early spring 2012. But nothing is set in stone until the production schedule is on the website in September.

I'm not gonna lie to you, that bothers me. :|
  • Brood
    The 2012 production schedule will be announced at the Eurobike show in September. While it's difficult to predict our experience suggests a bike like this won't have any major revisions and will be on sale around March time.

Ok, I managed to find it
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011
  • kinggareth wrote:
    i've been looking at the Canyon website every night for the last week with my finger twitching over the BUY button, but I'm confused about what size to get.

I used the bike size recommender thing and put in my vitals (I got a strange look from the missus while i was stood in front of the mirror with a lightsaber tucked up against my genitals and a tape measure in hand), but it keeps telling me i'm too short even for the small framed XC/AM!
    I'm 5'8" with a 29"(ish) inch inseam and a long body, and small frames can sometimes feel too cramped for me - would the medium definitely be too big?

Is there anyone in the Surrey area with a Small or Medium framed Canyon that i could have a sit on??
    You are similar size to me you will defo need a small it will be perfect.
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    kinggareth wrote:
    i've been looking at the Canyon website every night for the last week with my finger twitching over the BUY button, but I'm confused about what size to get.

I used the bike size recommender thing and put in my vitals (I got a strange look from the missus while i was stood in front of the mirror with a lightsaber tucked up against my genitals and a tape measure in hand), but it keeps telling me i'm too short even for the small framed XC/AM!
    I'm 5'8" with a 29"(ish) inch inseam and a long body, and small frames can sometimes feel too cramped for me - would the medium definitely be too big?

Is there anyone in the Surrey area with a Small or Medium framed Canyon that i could have a sit on??

Do you have the same length legs? Body? Arms? Do you both have the same riding position? It might be right, it might not.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    I was after the Grand Canyon AL 6, however it seems they are sold out - both colours, all sizes. Shame.....

Or do I wait until they restock - if they do.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Ok guys that's enough.

I getting really jealous of all of you saying what Canyon bikes you have.

I'm currently saving and trying to persuade the wife that I need to upgrade to the Canyon AM 7.0. Saving is quit easy, persuading the wife isn't.

Sounds like you have had some positive reviews, enjoy riding them.
  • Brood
    AndyRAC wrote:
    I was after the Grand Canyon AL 6, however it seems they are sold out - both colours, all sizes. Shame.....

I'm not sure if they restock, I'd guess not. 2012 models are out around March time.
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Brood wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:

I'm not sure if they restock, I'd guess not. 2012 models are out around March time.

Wondered about this too. All of the models I've been looking at (Upper Yellowstones/Lower AL) are out of stock. So a 6 month wait for new stock?

Do they really only sell bikes for half of the year? I know they've been really successful but that's the sort of planning/supply chain that puts companies out of business.
  • poppit
    Has anyone else had any rear mech hangers break?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    poppit wrote:
    Has anyone else had any rear mech hangers break?

Didnt break it but did bend it so badly I bought a replacement because I dont think it will go back. Cost me £20 delivered from Canyon site which isnt bad thats what they usually cost for other bikes. It didnt come with the little mounting screws so take care of them they round out easily.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    GrenW wrote:
    Brood wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:

Wondered about this too. All of the models I've been looking at (Upper Yellowstones/Lower AL) are out of stock. So a 6 month wait for new stock?

Do they really only sell bikes for half of the year? I know they've been really successful but that's the sort of planning/supply chain that puts companies out of business.

6 Months is a long time to wait for a new bike. I'll have to see what the new versions are like, then decide. Don't fancy buying bits for my current HT for just 6 months...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bails87 wrote:
    kinggareth wrote:

Do you have the same length legs? Body? Arms? Do you both have the same riding position? It might be right, it might not.

Yes virtually, the riding style is the risk you take when buying from a website, but well worth it .
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • Brood
    AndyRAC wrote:
    GrenW wrote:
    Brood wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:

6 Months is a long time to wait for a new bike. I'll have to see what the new versions are like, then decide. Don't fancy buying bits for my current HT for just 6 months...

These are the 2012 bikes - http://www.canyon.com/_uk/eurobike2011/ ... bikes.html

Funny someone mentioned the rear mech, I broke mine yesterday on my GT Av Expert, I wondered wtf had happened!
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Had my Nerve XC9 for a couple of months now and chuffed to bits with it apart from the tyres..

Just can't seem to get used to the Nobby Nic's that are fitted ? I used to run WTB ExiWolf on my charge HT and never had a problem but these just seem a bit skittish and I don't feel confident with them.

What tyre pressures are you all running ?? I remember that when I recieved the bike they were rock hard - like a bit to hard for my liking.

I seem to be suffering what I think is tyre roll more than anything i.e when turning left the front wheel wants to carry on straight ? I have read that the Nobby Nic tyre has a weak sidewall could this be the problem coupled with my riding style

Mitch
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Mitch, I didn't like them initially, until I realised that you have to crank them over a bit more in turns to get onto the soft rubber. I like them, at least in the dry, nice controllable slide when they do go.

Running in the low 30's psi both front and rear, but that's on the 2.4" tyres that come on the AM.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • poppit
    Growmac wrote:
    Mitch, I didn't like them initially, until I realised that you have to crank them over a bit more in turns to get onto the soft rubber. I like them, at least in the dry, nice controllable slide when they do go.

Running in the low 30's psi both front and rear, but that's on the 2.4" tyres that come on the AM.

Agreed. Fat Albert front, Nobby Nic rear. The Fat Albert looks huge to start with but you get used to it (2.4), running both at low 30s and they seem fine at that.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • thanks guys - I've got a pump with a guage turning up hopefully tomorrow so I will be able to try a few tyre pressures..

I've also had a couple of off's lately which probably doesn't help my confidence.

The tyres fitted are 2.25 I think

Mitch
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    mitchk wrote:
    Just can't seem to get used to the Nobby Nic's that are fitted ? I used to run WTB ExiWolf on my charge HT and never had a problem but these just seem a bit skittish and I don't feel confident with them.Mitch

+1 from me - got an XC9.0 myself, and I couldn't live with the Nobbys for exactly the same reason. I also felt they were just too thin, with some big cuts in the tyre on some fairly tame terrain (Bedgebury singletrack, North/South downs) - with a couple that sealant couldn't plug.

I switched them out for Maxxis Ardents in the end - running mid-30s psi, much better feel all round.

Tyres aside (and those crappy grips) - fantastic bike, eh? :-)
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • I'm just about to order mine (unless I change my mind again) and was wondering when you actually paid for them. The site seems to suggest that there's nothing to pay until 7 days before the due date, then you pay the lot by credit card...

Is that so?

Also, how accurate have you found the 'Check Availability' function. For the bike I'm after it's currently saying Week 40 - is this usually about right.

Now that they've reduced a load of models, I feel myself unable to resist anymore!
  • Brood
    I'm just about to order mine (unless I change my mind again) and was wondering when you actually paid for them. The site seems to suggest that there's nothing to pay until 7 days before the due date, then you pay the lot by credit card...

Is that so?

Also, how accurate have you found the 'Check Availability' function. For the bike I'm after it's currently saying Week 40 - is this usually about right.

Now that they've reduced a load of models, I feel myself unable to resist anymore!

From what I can gather, the delivery date is around what they say, but bear in mind they will be receiving lots of orders during the sale period and I wouldn't be surprised if the delivery was delayed by a week.

I'm about to order an AM 6, it's been in & out of the basket since midnight I'm just finding it hard to pull the trigger on a €1600 bike
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011