The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    edited April 2012
    Project_79 wrote:
    Guys - I'm looking to buy a Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 but I'm not sure about the frame size I need.
    The website suggests a small frame once my messurements are entered in.
    However I've been testing a Specialized Stumpjumper comp medium frame size which feels pretty comfy.
    Can anyone help?

I went for a medium, modify the inside leg measurement and see how far you are off the medium, for me is was 1cm off a medium so went for the medium and was glad I did.

After reading your other post I should add, the dropper post on my bike is now set maybe 2 cm above the collar, this means that if your short legs are 78 I think medium will kick in at 80? you might be pushed to actually fit correctly on the bike with the dropper (you cannot cut them short like regular posts) so with this in mind you should maybe stick with the small....my mate got last years medium and just got a dropper, he cannot lower the dropper any further on his bike.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    You're probably right about that and you're not a dissimilar size to me so I would have thought a medium would suit better - at the end of the day, if you're big for a small, but small for a medium, I think it's less of a compromise to make a medium frame fit you better with diff parts than the other way round... Cullen is really helpful if you give him a call, I'm sure he can help suggest the best option, or hope that some other owners get stuck in and pipe up on here.

I guess you could always try pm as well, maybe see if someone in the big smoke has one you could have a sit on...
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Horton wrote:
    You're probably right about that and you're not a dissimilar size to me so I would have thought a medium would suit better - at the end of the day, if you're big for a small, but small for a medium, I think it's less of a compromise to make a medium frame fit you better with diff parts than the other way round... Cullen is really helpful if you give him a call, I'm sure he can help suggest the best option, or hope that some other owners get stuck in and pipe up on here.

I guess you could always try pm as well, maybe see if someone in the big smoke has one you could have a sit on...

I just edited my post taking the dropper into account, this is pretty important info.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I just edited my post taking the dropper into account, this is pretty important info.

Important info indeed - forgot they had the dropper on there which is a factor. Like I say, maybe give Canyon UK a call - sure they'll point you right (albeit not until tuesday...)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    any views from people on using the warranty and frames snapping / breaking?

read a number of comments on the bike radar reviews for the Nerve XC where the frame has bust and warranty claims have been rejected, waved off as accidents and therefore no fault of the frame
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    frazered wrote:

read a number of comments on the bike radar reviews for the Nerve XC where the frame has bust and warranty claims have been rejected, waved off as accidents and therefore no fault of the frame
    What reviews are those? I've not seen any comments relating to frame breakage issues from anyone.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    poppit wrote:
    frazered wrote:

What reviews are those? I've not seen any comments relating to frame breakage issues from anyone.
    Ah, just found a couple on a 7.0 review. Just want to mention that if you click on their names you'll find that they haven't actually posted any comments in any forums, read into that what you will.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • frazered
    poppit wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    frazered wrote:

Ah, just found a couple on a 7.0 review. Just want to mention that if you click on their names you'll find that they haven't actually posted any comments in any forums, read into that what you will.

yeah I expect there will always be detractors for everything, the interwebs is not always the 'troof'

i had a small ride on a canyon nerve AM at coed after chatting to a guy about his, looked really good

surprised how small the large felt
  • poppit
    frazered wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    frazered wrote:

yeah I expect there will always be detractors for everything, the interwebs is not always the 'troof'

i had a small ride on a canyon nerve AM at coed after chatting to a guy about his, looked really good

My large AM is the same size as my old XL Marin which is why comparing the Canyon geometry with something you know is important, as is getting someone to help you measure yourself properly.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    frazered wrote:

are you sure it was a large ? there's only a 10mm difference in toptube length between my large AM and my 21'' spesh, both use a 90mm stem, if you usually ride
    frazered wrote:
    I am 6f 1 and 82kg, normally ride a large spesh or 20 inch orange
    i find it surprising that it felt small for you
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • frazered
    have a got a extra large trek HT atm, which is too large for me tbh, have just gotten used to it and bollocking myself occasionally

a proper sized bike like the large will be fine, just a difference I noticed and the canyon felt a bit smaller than the orange 5 i recently rode. saying that the canyon was a very quick ride so more difficult to compare properly
  • poppit
    I've noticed the euro rate has got a bit better recently, has anyone noticed if the price of the bikes have come down at all?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • gcalvert
    gcalvert Posts: 11
    I got my Canyon last July (xc7). I love it. The kit never misses a beat, the after sales service was excellent. And the ride... soaks up everything, darts through, up and down singletrack. For budget conscience there is no other choice as far as I'm concerned. IMO the Canyon's would compare well against other brands even if they were available in the shops at higher retail prices.

RE sizing, I'm 186cm and the large is perfect. Found the sizing app on the website excellent.
    GT Zaksar '90
    Marin Pine Moutain PACE RC35s '92
    Roadie '93-'07
    Specialized Rockhopper '08
    Canyon XC7 '11
  • I've been looking at their website too ( a lot lately!), I'm seriously thinking about blowing the 2K budget on a Grand Canyon CF 8.0. I love trail riding and having a blast on the moor, nothing competitive. The sizing thing on the website say a large is my size, but i'm a bit doubtful about that, as i'm 6ft 4 and 85kg. I would have thought a XL would be more like it. like my old trek ;).

My gut feeling is to just go for it and get the large, but i just don't need the hassle of having to return it and then have to grovel to the boss for more time off work having to wait for the new one to turn up.
    2009 Trek 4500. Grand Canyon CF 9.0
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont rely on another bike companies sizes they rarely match. Canyons sizes are at the large end of the scale I am 6ft and have a medium which fits me fine. I tried a large and it felt like a 5 bar gate. Use the size app properly dont measure yourself get someone else to use the tape measure.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • thanks stubs, looking at the bikeradar review of the cf 9.0 the Large measures in at 20.5in, which is only 1/2 an inch short of what i would consider to be XL. So looks like Large is the one. :)
  • I'm 182cm with a 31/32 inside leg. I have a medium Nerve AM, seems to fit ok.
    Would'nt mind a bit more standover clearance though.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • PulsarB
    PulsarB Posts: 1
    Nerve AM o8X Mamba green here, bit of a mouthful I know!

Also my first post so..... Hello!
  • poppit
    Hi Pulsar, hope you're enjoying the bike although the weather is stopping us at the moment
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Just got my UPS email saying that the Grand Canyon CF 9.0 is on it's way and should be here Friday!!! Bonus as i wasn't expecting it till after the BH weekend :), especially as my bank blocked the payment to start with as it was an overseas transaction.

Lets hope that the pedals i ordered from CRC last Thursday actually turn up by then, but that's another issue...:(
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I bought a Strive ES9.0 to replace a Spicy 516 that some sh1t stole. Can't fault it in any way, absolutely superb bike and can't wait to get to the Alps this summer with it!
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I've had my Nerve XC 8.0 for over a year now and had no problems whatsoever. I maily ride Peaks and trail centres and it's handled everything asked of it. Like other people I changed the grips and have also put on a shorter stem and some Easton Haven carbon bars as i prefer the turning advantage of a wider bar. I've put a Reverb seatpost on, which is a bit of a luxury but I could't live without it now.

I would like to try it with some slightly bigger tyres (2.35), but was concerned there may not be enough room. Has anyone put on anything bigger than the Nobby Nics?
  • poppit
    Just got my UPS email saying that the Grand Canyon CF 9.0 is on it's way and should be here Friday!!! Bonus as i wasn't expecting it till after the BH weekend :), especially as my bank blocked the payment to start with as it was an overseas transaction.

Lets hope that the pedals i ordered from CRC last Thursday actually turn up by then, but that's another issue...:(

I'd like to know what you think of it as there haven't been any comments from anyone who has bought one of these.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    El Diego wrote:
    I've had my Nerve XC 8.0 for over a year now and had no problems whatsoever. I maily ride Peaks and trail centres and it's handled everything asked of it. Like other people I changed the grips and have also put on a shorter stem and some Easton Haven carbon bars as i prefer the turning advantage of a wider bar. I've put a Reverb seatpost on, which is a bit of a luxury but I could't live without it now.

I would like to try it with some slightly bigger tyres (2.35), but was concerned there may not be enough room. Has anyone put on anything bigger than the Nobby Nics?

Had my AM 8.0 for about a year, only problem I've had is two rear gear hangers have broken for no reason, my wife has also had one break on her Grand Canyon, think there's a design or manufacturing issue there as they have all broken in the same place. When the next one breaks I've got a CNC version from Israel to try, should be a bit stronger.

The AM has 2.4 tyres, not sure what the difference is in frame design between AM and XC.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Dr Avinuon
    Dr Avinuon Posts: 26
    poppit wrote:
    Just got my UPS email saying that the Grand Canyon CF 9.0 is on it's way and should be here Friday!!! Bonus as i wasn't expecting it till after the BH weekend :), especially as my bank blocked the payment to start with as it was an overseas transaction. ...:(

I'd like to know what you think of it as there haven't been any comments from anyone who has bought one of these.

Not a CF one but I got a Grand Canyon AL6 about a month ago and think it is great, although my last bike was a 20 year old Marin so I cannot compare it to anything from this century. The only problem I have had is riding through the narrow gaps with wider bars than I was use to.
  • stubs
    I bust my Nerve hanger after a month put on the spare I had bought when I ordered the bike and bust that a week later when I got bad chain suck. Got a BETD one on now been on for 9 months had to lever it back straight after I dumped the bike in the weeds. Seems like it should last, just looks quality where the Canyon one looks like it was made by a school metalwork class.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poppit
    stubs wrote:
    I bust my Nerve hanger after a month put on the spare I had bought when I ordered the bike and bust that a week later when I got bad chain suck. Got a BETD one on now been on for 9 months had to lever it back straight after I dumped the bike in the weeds. Seems like it should last, just looks quality where the Canyon one looks like it was made by a school metalwork class.

Agreed.

The ones from Pilo come in nice colours too.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • stubs
    poppit wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Agreed.

The ones from Pilo come in nice colours too.

Have you got a link for the one you have had a look on ebay cant track it down

Scrub that found it now.
  • stubs
    Just ordered a red one. Completely unnecessary but its red so will make my bike go faster.