Comments

• patchoman
    patchoman Posts: 9
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Just phoned Canyon UK and been told that my bike is in the final stages and that I should get an email with UPS tracking details in the next couple of days! We'll see if that actually happens...

Fingers crossed on your behalf!

Would be really interested to know if it ships as expected.

Well, nothing from them thursday/friday or over the weekend :( Phoned just now and been told that it's due to ship this week... So again we'll see but seems like the usual story! :(

Still holding my breath on your behalf, so has the bike now shipped?

Nope, still nothing yet. Going to phone tomorrow and raise a stink.

Any luck with Canyon today?

I have just been told that my bike is still scheduled to ship next week, so still only 8 weeks late.
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    Hello! Some urgent advice needed. You may remember I managed to write off my new Spectral on its first ride. Well replacement has arrived and on checking over found a couple of crack type looking blemishes in the paint work.

Emailed Canyon who have responded quickly, and reasonably and offered a full refund, exchange (only raw colour mediums left) or £100 refund.

Ordinarily i would take the £100. I suppose the only slight concern is whether the crack is just paint, or in the aluminium. Canyon say it is hard to tell from pictures, but would be surprised if it was an aluminiun crack as the bike is unridden. I would be surprised if it was an alumimium crack in that place as it is not near any welds, and there is no obvious impact mark.

If it is a purely cosmetic issue with the paint, then I would rather have £100 back knowing that if it worsens I can warranty it anyway.

The crack/blemish is right at the rear , on the top of the chain stay (?) Just below the rear gears

Any views?
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'd take the cash conditional on an assurance from them that should it turn out to be fatal and the result of a manufacturing defect they'll be fair with you.

This thread has plenty of proof that as far as customer care goes they are excellent.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    I have got the raw frame Spectral mate and I have just closely inspected my frame all over and I cant see any cracks like that which suggests it may well be in the paint. As you said you still have the warranty and its doubtful there would be a crack in an unridden frame. Take the money!
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Just phoned Canyon UK and been told that my bike is in the final stages and that I should get an email with UPS tracking details in the next couple of days! We'll see if that actually happens...

Fingers crossed on your behalf!

Would be really interested to know if it ships as expected.

Well, nothing from them thursday/friday or over the weekend :( Phoned just now and been told that it's due to ship this week... So again we'll see but seems like the usual story! :(

Still holding my breath on your behalf, so has the bike now shipped?

Nope, still nothing yet. Going to phone tomorrow and raise a stink.

Any luck with Canyon today?

I have just been told that my bike is still scheduled to ship next week, so still only 8 weeks late.

Well I sent them an email as I tried phoning but was waiting too long and was at work. Got a phone call just now and they apologised for the lack of communication and said that the bike is in the "in picking" stage, which basically means they're putting it together to send soon. He said that it could be today but more likely early next week, unfortunately their ordering system is a bit ancient so that's the most info they can see.
  • monofjon
    monofjon Posts: 2
    I got a email from Canyon last friday, stating that my order was transferred to ups, and on it's way. 7 weeks after schedule. On wednesday i got a call from the ups-guy, asking me if i was able to receive the "delivery" between 13 or 15.00. I was. The ups-guy arrived approx. at 13.00. But instead of a bike, i received a Topeak unbraco tool set, and a small saddlebag. ANNOYING!

Bike is on it's way now though, same as Pachoman - 8 weeks late. Hopefully my bitterness will fade after the first ride.
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    Hello! Some urgent advice needed. You may remember I managed to write off my new Spectral on its first ride. Well replacement has arrived and on checking over found a couple of crack type looking blemishes in the paint work.

Emailed Canyon who have responded quickly, and reasonably and offered a full refund, exchange (only raw colour mediums left) or £100 refund.

Ordinarily i would take the £100. I suppose the only slight concern is whether the crack is just paint, or in the aluminium. Canyon say it is hard to tell from pictures, but would be surprised if it was an aluminiun crack as the bike is unridden. I would be surprised if it was an alumimium crack in that place as it is not near any welds, and there is no obvious impact mark.

If it is a purely cosmetic issue with the paint, then I would rather have £100 back knowing that if it worsens I can warranty it anyway.

The crack/blemish is right at the rear , on the top of the chain stay (?) Just below the rear gears

Any views?

rob look back a few pages that is exactly the same place my frame cracked on my spectral so I would be wary about it tbh
  • Qui3tman
    monofjon wrote:
    I got a email from Canyon last friday, stating that my order was transferred to ups, and on it's way. 7 weeks after schedule. On wednesday i got a call from the ups-guy, asking me if i was able to receive the "delivery" between 13 or 15.00. I was. The ups-guy arrived approx. at 13.00. But instead of a bike, i received a Topeak unbraco tool set, and a small saddlebag. ANNOYING!

Bike is on it's way now though, same as Pachoman - 8 weeks late. Hopefully my bitterness will fade after the first ride.

Is that 8 weeks after the week it should have shipped?! That's bonkers! I'm only a week late and already getting impatient.
  • HardrockRob
    mrcoley wrote:

Any views?

rob look back a few pages that is exactly the same place my frame cracked on my spectral so I would be wary about it tbh

Cheers. Took a look at that. Also had a closer look at the paint. Pretty sure mine is a crack in the paint. Mine is on the top of the dropout, rather than up the other end of the chain stay. So long as the honour warranty if it does become a problem then happy to take money.

However, after i had decided to accept the partial refund and live with it, started copter taping it up. During that I glanced down the down tube to see a dent in the tube. Now I cannot stress how small a dent it is, to the extent I cant really get it to show in photos, and you can only see it if you look down the tube but it is there nonetheless.

Tried to get a picture of it but it is barely perceptible, so gives you an idea of how small it is. It is in the downtube, just above the N in CANYON. This put more of a damper on things. I can live with the odd paint issue but am less keen on an actual dent. Interestingly there is absolutely no mark on the paint so it was obviously done before painting but now I know it was there.

Have gone back to Canyon and queried whether they will do a further discount plus note dent and cover fully under warranty if it goes wrong, or if not I will return it. Unfortunately thiugh this means I will be without a Sprectral as they are all sold out.

Given that the dent is very small, do you think it is worth keeping with an additional discount (I must stress I otherwise absolutely love this bike and it feels a perfect fit) or would any dent no matter how small be a no no, and I should just wash my hands of it and get a Boardman.

This is all starting to do my head in!!!
    ps if i am being to OCD/anal, and this is to be expected with mail order, let me know. Dont want to lose out on my Spectral because I am being a numpty...
  • HardrockRob
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Just ride it.

Cheers fella. I genuinely mean it when I say I needed that.

Will get a grip, and get on my bike. Will probably crash it again anyway....
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just had a frame replacement off Canyon. It's nearly 2 years old and it was scratched to pieces. They gave me cash back originally for a minor scratch (50 euros, from memory) and I dropped the bike in the garden on my second ride, scratching it in a few places, I don't know if I could find the scratch they gave me cash back for. It's a mountain bike, it'll get scratched.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I've been really confused about my next bike purchase. Canyon seem great for price.

What are your views on the differences between Spectral AL 29 & Lux CF.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Lux has less travel and steeper angles and pitches itself more as a race bike whereas the spectral is more of an all rounder
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Qui3tman
    Really hope my bike gets sent soon. Girlfriend is heading North with the van this weekend and taking the bikes with her for the Ardrock Enduro - Could kind of do with the Spectral being in the van when she leaves!

This whole delivery this is really souring the taste of my new bike to be honest...

Kind of thinking I should have gone with the Nukeproof and picked it up from a store :/
  • patchoman
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Really hope my bike gets sent soon. Girlfriend is heading North with the van this weekend and taking the bikes with her for the Ardrock Enduro - Could kind of do with the Spectral being in the van when she leaves!

This whole delivery this is really souring the taste of my new bike to be honest...

Kind of thinking I should have gone with the Nukeproof and picked it up from a store :/

So gutted for you.

Did Canyon give you a reason for the delay?
  • Qui3tman
    Not really - The only info the UK guys can see is that it's "in picking" :/ Though I can't believe it takes 2 weeks to assemble a bike...
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    A friend of mine ordered a XL which Canyon say they only put together every now and then, so he would have to wait around 3 months which he didn't mind as he thought it might come early, after a 3 month wait they have told him it's going to be at least another 6 weeks :shock:
  • Qui3tman
    Well, just received the "Your order is being prepared for dispatch" email. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Just hoping my enthusiasm for the bike comes back!
  • patchoman
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Well, just received the "Your order is being prepared for dispatch" email. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Just hoping my enthusiasm for the bike comes back!

Brilliant news!!

Here's hoping the bike is being put into a box as we type!!

:D
  • Qui3tman
    UPS tracking number received - fingers crossed this might actually make it! Granted it will mean I have about 5 minutes on the bike before it gets packed up and whisked away...
  • Qui3tman
    Currently out for delivery! :D

EDIT: And it's here! Alas I don't have all the necessary alan keys to put it together at work but will sort that tonight! Given it a look over and it looks unmarked so thinks I should be ok :D
  • atomic fox
    atomic fox Posts: 95
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Currently out for delivery! :D

EDIT: And it's here! Alas I don't have all the necessary alan keys to put it together at work but will sort that tonight! Given it a look over and it looks unmarked so thinks I should be ok :D
    you will have a torque wrench in your box with your canyon. my grand canyon al 6.9 arrived today also after 2 months waiting ,astonishing bike.
  • Qui3tman
    Yeah I had the torque wrench but it doesn't seem to fit all the necessary screws! Is no bother though, have plenty of multi-tools.

EDIT: Oops, was me being dumb - Couldn't see in the dim light of the energy saving bulbs at work that the elixir 5 brakes needs the star end not an allen end. All put together now ready for a test ride this afternoon!
  • Qui3tman
    Well I hate to double post, but I just had to post a picture of the new shiny.
    huleva.jpg

Stuck some Superstar Supergrippa grips on instead of the Ergons. Didn't like the "bar end" styling of them and I swear by the supergrippa's on my HT.
  • Beanie85
    Beanie85 Posts: 5
    Great looking bike!!!....I have been following this forum as well reading reviews for spectral over the last few months. Trying to save up to maybe make a canyon my first full suspension bike purchase. But I notice they have sold out for this season...oh well here's to carry on saving for next years model :D

Is that medium size?
  • Qui3tman
    It's a large - was lucky enough to try one at my local trails and it fits very well. Medium would definitely be too small I think.
  • Beanie85
    Beanie85 Posts: 5
    Ah I see....I'm 5.9"ish and was looking probably at medium size...after doing the size guide on the site, then reading plenty of other comments about to go for next size up from what was recommended. Have a mate who has a few years old canyon nerve am in small, I know its diff geometry to spectral like but I think small would be to small.
  • 40ish
    40ish Posts: 31
    I'm 5ft 9 and I got the spectral 6.0 in medium and it's perfect,canyon online size guide recommended small but the small would have been too cramped,should be a few spectrals around now so maybe you could get a try on one!
  • Qui3tman
    I'm 6' and the large, as I say, suits me fine. I think a medium will fit you perfectly, the sizing only seems to be an issue from 6' onwards!