The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• patchoman
    patchoman Posts: 9
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Currently out for delivery! :D

EDIT: And it's here! Alas I don't have all the necessary alan keys to put it together at work but will sort that tonight! Given it a look over and it looks unmarked so thinks I should be ok :D

So glad your bike has finally arrived!

Good luck on the trails!

My Nerve AL has been delayed for at least another 2 weeks, so 10 weeks late and counting now.
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Thanks man, only been on one short ride before shipping it North for LLandegla and Ardrock but loved it. Fantastic bike.

Can't believe you've been waiting that long! You're a far more patient person than I am. I hope you're getting some compensation for that!
  • patchoman
    patchoman Posts: 9
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Thanks man, only been on one short ride before shipping it North for LLandegla and Ardrock but loved it. Fantastic bike.

Can't believe you've been waiting that long! You're a far more patient person than I am. I hope you're getting some compensation for that!

They have discounted the bike guard and shipping.

However, the last time I complained, they responded by saying that if I was that upset then I was at liberty to cancel the order at anytime.

That type of response has been mentioned before on other forums and threads.

It is a poorly thought out reply to provide to customers to say the least.

We all want our bikes, not to cancel the order!

Anyway, I really hope your new bike lives up to expectation on the trails.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    This is probably old news but I just recieved a reply to an enquiry about the Strive AL - its discontinued and replaced with Strive CL. Shame, this Shapeshifter function sounds interesting but its yet more space-age gadgetry to potentially drive you round the bend ...
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    Qui3tman wrote:
    It's a large - was lucky enough to try one at my local trails and it fits very well. Medium would definitely be too small I think.

quitman that wasn't at bedgebury by any chance was it
  • Qui3tman
    Aye it was! Nick? :P
  • mrcoley
    yup that's me glad to see you went ahead with it funny thing that night is the same night my reverb died and my frame cracked lol oh and now the forks have had to go to mojo under warranty today as they've kinda seized up for no apparent reason. but other than that its been all good
  • Qui3tman
    Bloody hell mate! I take it they're replacing the frame for you?
  • First ride tonight on my Nerve AL 7.9 which arrived Wed - 2 weeks ahead of expected date. Not trying to rub it in those still waiting - hope I haven't got someone else's bike! But wow - what a difference. As it's my first full susser and the geometry is very different from old Gary Fisher hardtail I thought I'd take it easy and just take it for a quick spin to see how it feels (and try and stay upright!). But easily smashed 11 Strava PBs without even trying. Took 30 secs off the first climb which usually takes 7 mins. It flies uphill. Also very happy it fits perfectly - its bigger than I expected but I was worried it would be too small so that's fine. Its a Large and I'm 6'2" if anyone is interested. Very happy. Can you make these smileys bigger?? :lol:
    IMAG0266.jpg
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    My Spectral 7.9 Update

So I've had my bike since May, its the 29er and in Xl size as I'm over 2m and it fits me well.

The bike has been to Swinley forest a few times, Surrey Hills, Affan 3 times along with Cwmcarn and Bike Park Wales so its had a good testing.

Its my first full susser so only an old Trek 4300 to compare it to but its worlds apart in terms of comfort, climbing and obviously descending.

This thing goes up hills without problems and the conti tyres grip without fault. I run tubeless and usually have around 30-32 in the front and 32-35 in the rear. Im 98kg so i chuck 110psi in the front shock and 210 in the rear. I feel this is about right for how i ride.

I did a weekend course in the Surrey Hills with Singletrack school which was split into a fundamentals morning followed by a guided ride and then an essentials day again with an afternoon ride. I really enjoyed this, taught me a lot and i feel much more confident in the turns and going down hill across rocks and roots and am happy with steep drop ins and drops of a couple of feet. Highly suggest a course if you feel a little out of your comf zone on your bike.

The bike looks great, its easy to keep clean and i only changed a couple of bits, i put a Fizik Gobi saddle on and some Peaty Lizard Skin Grips which felt better. I run XT wide trail pedals on it.

I have had only one issue which is the Stealth Reverb Seat post which just died at Affan on Monday, a couple of emails to canyon and i dropped it to their service centre where they will strip it, send the post for warranty repair and give the bike a once over for any issues from the leaky hydraulic fluid. They said they can also do a full service on it but i think i will have a go myself.

Hope this sheds some light on the spectral....must say the strive CF looks awesome.....hmmmm. ;-)
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    even though they are germany based they are quick to respond to problems, well i guess so to avoid negative press.

Where is canyon's uk service centre based ?

I'm getting more and more tempted to go mad and order a new bike on my credit card as i'm getting bored of my trek hardtail bike at the moment and fancy something new.
  • Qui3tman
    Does anyone know what chain guides will fit a Canyon Spectral? I'm guessing it would have to be a direct mount if nothing?
  • PCJnr
    PCJnr Posts: 2
    Hey,

Just received a Canyon Roadlite AL 6.0. Took forever to be delivered since ordering (almost three months!) and when I took it out of the 'Bikeguard' box this evening it has a few scratches and indentations on the seat-tube. When I say indentations I mean when you run your finger over the scratches, you can actually feel little hollows in the frame.
    Does anyone have experience of this? What can I expect Canyon to do when I email them? Nothing? A refund of some sort? Or would you consider this grounds for returning the bike? I have already waited nearly three months for it and need it for some sprint triathlons I am planning for the next few months.

Thanks.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    my experience is if you email them you get a prompt, polite response back. It's between you and them how they manage your issue but if you read back through the posts here I think it demonstrates they have a fairly reasonable approach.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    First class service,
    I had a faulty front xt shifter on my spectral al 8.0, got in contact with Canyon UK, who said that they would need to send it back to Maddison for inspection. They did say that it could take up to 3 weeks before it was returned to me ( not to bothered as I still had my carbon hard-tail) Well 3 weeks to the day and a package arrived with a brand new set of front & rear xt shifters, with inner & outer cables, ferrules and cable end caps. All emails and calls were answered in good time and were aways helpful. I have to send proof of my posting costs for a refund, and if I could not fit the shifter myself, then I could have taken it to my local bike shop and then claimed the money back. So far happy with Canyon customer service!!!! :D
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Qui3tman
    So, I took the Spectral out for it's first real ride today - a "guided" run round Llandegla's red run with some black thrown in.

Have to say, 'degla is a fantastic place to ride in, and has the BEST cake in the world.

Anyway, back to the bike - It's so much more nimble and lively than my old 29er HT was. I knew it would be but to actually experience it properly was something else. How much what I felt was down to the move rom HT to FS I don't know, but it flew down the rocky section and ate up the berms (which I usually have a bit of trepidation about) with ease. One of the reviews I read said cornering felt like you were on rails and it really does, it felt nice and planted even in the loose. I wasn't brave enough to start taking it airborne when I could have done and I still need to get used to the shock and fork (the float 32 does feel a bit unpredictable) but all in all I couldn't be happier with it, even if the lively thing through me off once :P
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Alloy strive vs the carbon one. I'd take the first one.

canyon-strive-al-2015.jpg

strive-cf-8-race_c1091.png

f-strive-cf_c1091.jpg
  • Qui3tman
    Almost feel annoyed for having bought my AL spectral now, that carbon model is gorgeous! Ah well, always good to have upgrade options!
  • 950sm07
    950sm07 Posts: 5
    adamfo wrote:
    Alloy strive vs the carbon one. I'd take the first one.

canyon-strive-al-2015.jpg

strive-cf-8-race_c1091.png

f-strive-cf_c1091.jpg

Alu for me too... :D
  • adamfo
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Almost feel annoyed for having bought my AL spectral now, that carbon model is gorgeous! Ah well, always good to have upgrade options!

I've got a carbon road bike and it certainty has benefits in getting the frame to flex in areas it's advantageous to, but I can't see the point of a FS carbon MTB frame, apart from weight, given the big price premium.

Suspension pivots pressed into carbon may be troublesome with extended use ?
  • PCJnr
    PCJnr Posts: 2
    t0pc4t wrote:
    prompt, polite response back

Well I would disagree with this in my experience. Some emails have waited two days for a reply and replies range from irritatingly curt to simply ignoring what I said. They were supposed to send UPS to collect the damaged bike but they gave UPS the wrong address (wrong country!) and I am so sick of them at this stage I think I will just return it for a refund and buy a bike elsewhere. Terrible company with terrible customer service, other people I know who ordered a bike around the same time as I did have had similar issues with parts missing or huge delays in delivery no communication etc. It doesn't matter how good the bikes are or are not if they never get to you or if they do they are damaged!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    PCJnr wrote:
    or if they do they are damaged!

Less of the sweeping generalisations, mine arrived spot on and I'm sure the majority of their customers have too.
  • How much of these bikes do you actually have to build?. What does it come out the box like?
  • Turn the bars, put the wheels on.

Maybe a little gear adjustment once its running.
  • Qui3tman
    And put the seat post in, and attach the brake lever!

In other news, really not getting on with the float rear shock. it blows through its travel in no time even on climb mode :/ Gonna try upping the psi to 210 but I only weigh 75kg!
  • adamfo
    Simbo_RFC wrote:
    How much of these bikes do you actually have to build?. What does it come out the box like?

Like this. Easy to put together with the tools supplied. The bikes are run on the bench to index the gears, or at least mine was.

IMG_1071-1.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg
  • mrcoley
    Qui3tman wrote:
    And put the seat post in, and attach the brake lever!

In other news, really not getting on with the float rear shock. it blows through its travel in no time even on climb mode :/ Gonna try upping the psi to 210 but I only weigh 75kg!

try adding a volume spacer I had to do this at first but that didn't work so took it my suspension guru grant @southcoast suspension and he done a a few checks and the nitrogen chamber only had 50psi in usually this should be about 200 so recharged that and put it back together and ive not managed to blow through its travel since. Apparantly canyon only put a light tune on the shock how true that is I don't know
  • Qui3tman
    Yeah popped into my LBS and my mate there said pretty much the same. Will give it a go.

Now... to pike or not to pike...