The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• I think it's a case of "Go for the best spec you can afford". If I could I would have gone for a higher spec to avoid the Fox Float suspension.
  • Finally decided to go for the Canyon Spectral 6.0 2015 model. placed my order over the weekend from stock in the medium size frame. Received confirmation of my order today from canyon, with an estimated shipping of Wk41. :D
  • Hi folks,
    I haven't ridden a bike in the past 17-18 years ( Im 30 btw ) and decided it's maybe time I get one.
    I have friends with MTBs and decided this would be my best choice since it's very well suited for most the situations ( street, park and some light forest trails ).
    I figured since I am pretty much a newb, I should consider a used one instead of a crappy supermarket ( or similar ) new one.
    Now, I found a higher-end Canyon NERVE ES9 model on sale on my local craigslist but I am not sure if it's worth getting since it's an older model.
    I just don't know HOW OLD it is because I haven't found this particular model anywhere ( found other nerve es9 but they look slightly different ). The guy selling it it's a little older, got it used from another county a few months ago at a bargain price and knows less about bikes than I do so no change of getting any info from him.
    I went and saw it but being a beginner, I still can't fully decide.
    It has SRam X7 shifters, SRam X9 back derailleur but the front derailleur was surprisingly a Shimano Deore LX.
    Fork is Rock Shox Dart 3, Avid Juicy Three breaks, Evolve XC Crank.
    Both front and rear suspensions seemed to work fine. Gear changes worked fine on the back derailleur but the front one failed to change gears correctly. It was stuck on the middle ring and when tried to get it to go up or down - the derailleur would "work" but chain would just hit on it and fail to change gear up or down ( sorry for the totally newb language but English is not main language and I don't even know all the English terms for the components :P ). Could it be that a Shimano derailleur would not work correctly with a SRam shifter or it just might be out of alignment.
    Also apart from a few scratches here and there ( nothing major ) - there was a small dent in the top tube. It looks like something accidentally dropped on it ( it can easily be seen in the photos ). Although I know it can sustain a lot of force, the aluminium on the frame seemed very susceptible to small hits and dents as it seemed very thin upon hitting it with my finger nails. Could this be a problem ?

Do you guys have any idea HOW OLD is this model in praticular and if it's worth the hassle of getting it. The asking price is 650$ but I reckon it could go a bit lower. I understand this was not a low-end model and it would be a bit hardcore for a beginner but I usually prefer getting higher-end used stuff rather the brand new lower end.

Again sorry for being a total newb :P

• Here are 2 photos I took of it tonight ( cell phone quality ) and another one from the original add with the dent barely visible in the last photo.

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    $ in which country?
  • roughly 650 USD
  • Quick question, does anyone know what length the steerer is cut to on the 2014 Spectral 6.0?
  • I have just checked out the Spectral CF. That is a very sexy bike.
  • So doesn't anybody have an idea about the worth of the Nerve bike I posted a few posts back ?
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    Cornholio wrote:
    So doesn't anybody have an idea about the worth of the Nerve bike I posted a few posts back ?

Not sure how much its worth, but bikes spec and geometry have come along way over the last few years so it may be best to buy a newer bike if you can. Also parts for that bike may be hard to purchase. The dart fork were not great. Hope this helps!
  • AD1 wrote:
    Cornholio wrote:
    So doesn't anybody have an idea about the worth of the Nerve bike I posted a few posts back ?

Not sure how much its worth, but bikes spec and geometry have come along way over the last few years so it may be best to buy a newer bike if you can. Also parts for that bike may be hard to purchase. The dart fork were not great. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the answer. Do you have any idea how old this model is ? Ball park it ? :D
    Would it worth $500 ? :)
    The only thing that kinda keeps me interested in this one, is that it was worth 2500 euros initially - although I'm not sure that the bikes world has any connection to the cars world ( for instance - a 7 year old Merc S Class is a hell lot more car than a brand new Fiesta ) :))
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cornholio wrote:
    AD1 wrote:
    Cornholio wrote:

Thanks for the answer. Do you have any idea how old this model is ? Ball park it ? :D
    Would it worth $500 ? :)
    The only thing that kinda keeps me interested in this one, is that it was worth 2500 euros initially - although I'm not sure that the bikes world has any connection to the cars world ( for instance - a 7 year old Merc S Class is a hell lot more car than a brand new Fiesta ) :))

There is no way in hell that thing was worth anything close to $2500 new, pretty basic fork and shock and basic groupset. And no, the bike industry is nothing like the car industry, a modern £1500 would likely ride far nicer than a £2500 bike 10 years ago
  • I'm not keen on purchasing THIS particular bike, but we're talking about a hopefully ( I think he might accept ) $500 price for it. I don't think nobody would pay $1500 for a 10 year old $2500 bike ( or car for that matter ). Do you think I have better options in this $500 price range ? I have looked into the shops for a $500 brand new bike and with all do respect, there are nothing but no-name junk options ( at least by looking at them ), that barely have disk brakes and Shimano Acera equipment - at least in my country, so my best bet would be to find something used for the money - and Im perfectly fine with that.

Looking at a contemporary Canyon, full-suspension comparable model/level ( at least by name ) - I found this: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3568
    That's a 2500 Euro bike so more than $3000, equipped with Shimano Deore XT. I fully understand the bike world has come a long way in the past 10 years ( we don't even know the bike in question is that old anyway ) - but as far as I have read - SRam X7 + X9 is not something what you can call "basic".

So I understand that the newer the bike ( as in year of sale ) the better. My biggest problem is that when I am looking at used bikes, I have no idea how to tell what year is that bike from, apart from the seller having the paperwork which most of the times they don't as there are shops with 100-200 used bikes.

Thanks again for your input and sorry for sounding like a total newb, I know I have a lot more to learn about these things, especially as my target is a used bike.
  • Ended up purchasing a Merida HFS 3000 - and I'm pretty happy with it. Shifters, Ders, Cranks - everything is XT, FOX F-Series 32 fork. The bike weights about 11 kg. Apparently it's a 3-4 years old model and by the looks of it, a better choice than the Canyon. Thanks all for the answers ;)
    Happy riding.
  • Reading a review, the Yellowstone al29 5.9 got decent reviews. Looking on their site I can only see the Al 4.9 or 3.9. Does anyone know the difference between them? Is one this years model?

The 4.9 seems to have decent spec for the money - http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3601. How would people compare to the voodoo bizango for similar money?

Thanks
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just a post to this lenghty thread to announce that my lad's Christmas / birthday / accumulated savings purchase / present of a Nerve AL 6.0 arrived yesterday after ordering an in=stock model on 30th December. A trouble free transaction, then a trouble free delivery and trouble free unpacking / installation (other than some complete noob issues with not screwing the shock pump on tight enough and not realising that the rear was already pressurised!). Even though he is only 5ft10 currently (aged 15) he's got long arms and legs so their sizing tool suggested a large, which he seems to fit nicely enough - and with some room for growth.

Going from a 15.5 inch 2011 Spesh HT with Suntour coil forks to a Reba / Fox large full susser is going to be a whole lot of fun I think!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited January 2015
    I was a roadie who's just bought their first (proper) mtb. I decided to get a Spectral AL 7.9

Coming from a roadie the 2 things I've noticed the most are...I'm 5'9" and the medium size Spectral feels big and long compared to my road bikes , I did not find it easy trying to steer it around singletrack hairpin bends on a climb (i'm just going to put it down to the way road bikes feel compared to a 29er).
    The brakes are absolutely fantastic, not much feel but unbelievable stopping power, enough that I have to resist my weight being thrown over the front. Going back to my road bike, the calliper brakes feel like they're not working in comparison. When disc brakes came out for road bikes I criticised them as a gimmick, now I've used the 200mm Shimano SLX brakes fitted to the Canyon MTB, how wrong I were !

On a straight, it feels like the Spectral 7.9 is a monster truck that will roll over anything. It has surprised me by still going over a rocky step or tree root while on a climb when I expected it would come to a halt. On a good flat it builds up some pace.

Pressurising the Fox Float Performance sus to the recommendations doesn't feel too soft or bouncy for me, it feels quite plush and comfortable. I haven't experienced any bone shaking moments.

My only criticism is the shape of the rear sub frame swing arm has a void that collects blocks of wet clay like mud by the front derailleur cable, seems like a bit of a design flaw. Just behind the seatpost where it joins the bottom bracket
    f-strive-cf_c1091.jpg
    Also, the chain guard and a dust cover for the crank arm fell off after 2 or 3 uses.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    Hey Guys, I've got a Spectral 7.0EX on order and can't wait. Seemed like ridiculous value (and weight!).

It looks like MBR had a review of the 6.0 last month. Only just found out and that issue is off the shelves now. Does anyone have last month's MBR? What did they think of the Spectral?
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Hiya
    Looking forward to getting a new bike this year, it will probably be a Strive AL model. When I told this to a friend who Id say is a pretty serious MTBer, he said Canyons were overpriced and that theres better value brands out there! I was pretty suprised to hear this as if theres one thing that is said about Canyons time and time again, its that theyre pretty good value for money. Is he talking b0ll0cks?
  • Any Spectral 9.0ex owners out there (2104). Time to service the rear shoc on mine. Just wondered if anyone's had it off as led to believe its mounted on needle bearings instead of bushings making it trickier to remove so I'm told.

Thanks

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Does anyone know why this year's Nerve range doesn't come in size XL? Would a size L be big enough for me at 6ft 5 with 36 inseam?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    My 5ft10 but lanky son fits a L Nerve AL 6.0 (with a little growth room). Not necessarily much help, but something of an indication.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    edited February 2015
    My 2015 Spectral 8.9,size L. As a die hard Specialized aficionado swapping brand was a big deal to me. Glad I did,for the type of trails in my area this is the best bike I've ever owned,and trust me I've been on some fancier and pricier stuff. Can't fault the bike,really. One happy customer.

mlmkxy.jpg

14jng5c.jpg
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    edited March 2015
    2105? Nice to to what bikes will look like then!. I expected a lot more change but nice bike for 2015 :wink:
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • Looking for some advice.

Ordered a canyon strive al race medium and it's due to arrive in three weeks and I'm having second thoughts on the size. I'm an odd shape! Canyon recommend a medium but I can't help wonder if a small would be best?? Long body short legs.

5'7 height
    72cm inside leg
    72cm torso
    46cm shoulder
    52cm arms
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Effective top tube length tends to be more important on an mtb than stand over height so I'd be inclined to go with what canyon said first off, check if you can return it if it doesn't feel right once it arrives though.
  • Hi Irish, I am 5'6" with a 29" inside leg. I just bought a Nerve Al, went for the small as Canyon recommended. Fits me grand. I also queried the sizing and yes, they said you could send it back if it didn't suit, as long as you decided straight away obviously.
  • BiomedMB
    BiomedMB Posts: 3
    A word of warning about current line of Canyon Lux frames - I destroyed my frame's BB shell within 6 months of intense training and few teammates with same bike now have identical problem. One of them leaves to Cape Epic in two days and he just discovered a crack in his Lux' BB!!!
    The shell that holds press-fit BB bearings is increasing in diameter and bearings start clicking with pedaling rotations while moving inside the shell.
    In my case, the carbon shell on one side just blew, thus up increasing the free movement of the bearing on the opposite side causing the opposite-side XTR BB bearing to broke in two pieces!!!

Canyon are very slow in replacing this frame either! It took them about two weeks to process it in their German facility and now my frame is stacked in customs (I live outside EU) because it was sent with wrong invoice and cannot be cleared from local taxes and duties! Another two weeks in customs and all Canyon is working on is how to avoid paying taxes for replacement frame on the expense of my time and my training program!!!
    Two races I trained for already gone by now, the cost of replacing a pro-level marathon bike is enormous. This is not kind of bike you buy just for backup in-case your primary bike manufacturer will fool you around for more then one month with replacement of your bad warranty-covered frame.

Today, faced with their service in my own real case-study, I have turned from a great Canyon enthusiast to some who actively recommends people not to buy it. This is the level of disappointment I feel.
    I am very upset with this bike and would like to warn anyone who might be considering buying Canyon. Bikes are very well equipped and designed, however it seems that basic engineering considerations failed in design of the frame I own and the way this case is handled by Canyon so far is really, really disappointing...
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    BiomedMB wrote:
    A word of warning about current line of Canyon Lux frames - I destroyed my frame's BB shell within 6 months of intense training and few teammates with same bike now have identical problem. One of them leaves to Cape Epic in two days and he just discovered a crack in his Lux' BB!!!
    The shell that holds press-fit BB bearings is increasing in diameter and bearings start clicking with pedaling rotations while moving inside the shell.
    In my case, the carbon shell on one side just blew, thus up increasing the free movement of the bearing on the opposite side causing the opposite-side XTR BB bearing to broke in two pieces!!!

Canyon are very slow in replacing this frame either! It took them about two weeks to process it in their German facility and now my frame is stacked in customs (I live outside EU) because it was sent with wrong invoice and cannot be cleared from local taxes and duties! Another two weeks in customs and all Canyon is working on is how to avoid paying taxes for replacement frame on the expense of my time and my training program!!!
    Two races I trained for already gone by now, the cost of replacing a pro-level marathon bike is enormous. This is not kind of bike you buy just for backup in-case your primary bike manufacturer will fool you around for more then one month with replacement of your bad warranty-covered frame.

Today, faced with their service in my own real case-study, I have turned from a great Canyon enthusiast to some who actively recommends people not to buy it. This is the level of disappointment I feel.
    I am very upset with this bike and would like to warn anyone who might be considering buying Canyon. Bikes are very well equipped and designed, however it seems that basic engineering considerations failed in design of the frame I own and the way this case is handled by Canyon so far is really, really disappointing...

Not good, you got any pictures?