The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    edited June 2014
    t0pc4t wrote:
    it has a section the book dedicated to putting it together, I am pretty sure dropper posts are covered there
    True, but it deals with mounting on the right, also it have just noticed some significant damage to the front derailleur, a gouge out of the metal, the front shifting is awful, well, it doesn't shift. My assumption is this has been set up in the factory and now it is out of whack.
    Email and photos sent to canyon.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    yeah I'd leave it alone then if I were you. I had to ask about what I thought might be a bit of frame damage and they responded within a couple of hours
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • DB100
    Well, I have received both a reply email and a phone call from Canyon uk.
    I sent photos of the issue but then noticed that the problem was that the front derailleur has been either bent/ moved as a result of the impact damage or incorrectly set up, there was no clearance for the outer cage to clear the larger chain ring, the cage has collided with the ring and both appear to be damaged. I am taking to LBS tomorrow for a full assessment.
    Thus far I cannot complain about the response from Canyon.
    So please check your derailleur clearance
  • t0pc4t
    Really? Thanks for the heads up, I will make sure to check that carefully when I assemble mine
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • DB100
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Really? Thanks for the heads up, I will make sure to check that carefully when I assemble mine
    Yep, something I didn't believe would need checking, but heads up to everyone.
    Anyway, decided last night that I wasn't happy with a damaged front mech, so I emailed Canyon and very politely said I wanted a new replacement, first thing this morning, email from them.
    " No problem, would you be happy to remove and re fit a new one"
    Can not fault their customer service one bit :D
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    Heres my Spectral AL 6.0 that arrived last week. Pretty impressed so far. Bad points I'd say are very slight marks on frame around internal cable routing and erm thats it! Good points are I am particularly impressed with the general finish of the raw colour, its really nice - has a different sheen to it in different lights. Also love the dropper post, I'm a bit of a wuss rider but even I noticed its advantages several times in the lakes last week. The cockpit doesnt feel too small as I feared it might do when reading reviews. I'm 6ft tall so I got the Large and its absolutely fine.

What upgrades does anyone recommend? I am pretty happy with everything but got some birthday money coming so may try and get some lighter parts or a slightly comfier saddle.

8F5340C1-0557-4082-9DD8-7DA42A81B9BE_zpsvyfja1ja.jpg
  • kate123
    kate123 Posts: 10
    I think it looks really great in raw. I went riding with someone that had one the other week and think they look so much nicer in the flesh than on the canyon website. My upgrades so far have been a specialized saddle, super star grips and I'm just playing with the tyres a bit as I'm not sold on the Continental MK's in the wet, although having let out shed loads of air from when they arrived from Canyon they seem to be 100 times better. I think the more I use them the softer the compound's getting too using the thumb test, but have got an alps trip coming up so there might be a high roller 2.4 going on the front if I'm still not convinced by the time we go away. This is probably more down to my sketchy riding than the tyres though!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    leythervegas - That's a lovely looking bike, I really like it in raw finish too.
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    so after my rant to canyon the other day regarding the cracked chainstays on my spectral and them telling me it was going to be upto 4 weeks wait my new ones will be here Monday so having a rant does seem to work
  • DB100
    Having received mine damaged, posts above, I got an email from Canyon saying new front mech on the way, keep the old one and we will pay £25 towards any LBS cost of fitting and setting up the new mech. Cannot fault their customer service. On the other hand, my wife got the dreaded Friday email saying her Spectral AL 7w will be delayed another three weeks.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Right then - my replacement frame is on the way, a bit earlier than they said.

This is good news as I've got BPW booked in for 10th July and it was looking tight based on their delivery times, plus the time to get it built up, etc.
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    Been commuting on my new spectral for a couple of weeks now and after a few tweeks I think I've got the setup just right. Think the tyres run better with lower pressure than I'm used to, maybe as low as 30 psi. I've only been on xc rides on way home from work but very impressed by it. Here it is in today's afternoon sun.

498A2A46-3125-402D-BCD3-C6860F4DE470_zpsgoysklh1.jpg
  • Hi all. Quick question for you existing owners on cockpit geometry/feel. I'm contemplating my first full susser having ridden a hardtail (Gary Fisher Hoo Koo) for the last 11years or so. My existing bike has been great - but I've never found it very comfortable over longer distances so am keen not to make same mistake again. So I'm nervous about buying 'untested'.

I'm not an aggressive rider and I mainly ride paths and bridleways around the Surrey hills - not looking at jumps and trail centres. Have been weighing up options and think the Nerve AL 7.9 sounds a potential good option - don't think I need the additional bounce of the Spectral and I like the idea of keeping the weight down.

BUT.... I'd also been looking at Giant and had thought the Anthem seemed a better bet than the Trance - until I sat on both and realised I much preferred the cockpit geometry of the Trance. (The Anthem felt too stretched). So I'm now concerned that making the decision based on paper spec could point the wrong way. Is the Nerve the Canyon equivalent of the Anthem in terms of right spec/wrong fit!

So my question to you guys - is the Nerve geometry 'similar' in feel to other bikes on the market that I can use to get some idea of the positioning? And is the cockpit of the Spectral very different to the Nerve?

For what its worth my main concern is the bars maybe too low - I've had to use a steerer extension on my Fisher to get the bars up a bit which probably isn't a great idea! (on that subject are Canyon bikes supplied with a decent amount of steerer tube left with spacers for adjustment - or is the steerer tube cut pretty short?)

Any input appreciated from you lucky people who are already owners!

PS - I'm 188cm (6'2") with 91/92cm (36") inseam so looking at a L but I guess will have seat up pretty high
  • t0pc4t
    Geometry and fit are important but I wouldn't discount an otherwise good bike because I didn't like the cockpit. The first thing I upgraded on my Anthem (also my first FS) was put wider bars and a shorter stem on.

My point is that if something is cheap to change, I wouldn't let it put me off a bike I really liked, wrong frame size or a terrible fork would be a different story. That having been said, both my bikes have got Fox forks so I'm going straight to hell for that.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Does anyone know how far in advance Canyon usually give notice of delays to orders? I'm down to get my Spectral sometime in Week 27 (starts 30th of June) but bit nervous I'll get an email the day before saying it's delayed!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Hi all. Quick question for you existing owners on cockpit geometry/feel. I'm contemplating my first full susser having ridden a hardtail (Gary Fisher Hoo Koo) for the last 11years or so. My existing bike has been great - but I've never found it very comfortable over longer distances so am keen not to make same mistake again. So I'm nervous about buying 'untested'.

I'm not an aggressive rider and I mainly ride paths and bridleways around the Surrey hills - not looking at jumps and trail centres. Have been weighing up options and think the Nerve AL 7.9 sounds a potential good option - don't think I need the additional bounce of the Spectral and I like the idea of keeping the weight down.

BUT.... I'd also been looking at Giant and had thought the Anthem seemed a better bet than the Trance - until I sat on both and realised I much preferred the cockpit geometry of the Trance. (The Anthem felt too stretched). So I'm now concerned that making the decision based on paper spec could point the wrong way. Is the Nerve the Canyon equivalent of the Anthem in terms of right spec/wrong fit!

So my question to you guys - is the Nerve geometry 'similar' in feel to other bikes on the market that I can use to get some idea of the positioning? And is the cockpit of the Spectral very different to the Nerve?

For what its worth my main concern is the bars maybe too low - I've had to use a steerer extension on my Fisher to get the bars up a bit which probably isn't a great idea! (on that subject are Canyon bikes supplied with a decent amount of steerer tube left with spacers for adjustment - or is the steerer tube cut pretty short?)

Any input appreciated from you lucky people who are already owners!

PS - I'm 188cm (6'2") with 91/92cm (36") inseam so looking at a L but I guess will have seat up pretty high

Hey - I have the Nerve AL 7.0, and definitely recommend it. I'm in the same area as you too, and personally 120mm does me fine for the Surrey Hills/Winterfold area.

First, sizing. I'm 6'1", 33" inseam, and have plenty of seatpost left for adjustment. You'd definitely need a Large.

As for comparison, it's my first 650b, so I can't really say. It feels (to me), in between my old 2006 Specialized Enduro and my brothers 09 FSR XC pro in terms of ride, but it feels infinitely better at the same time. It certainly doesn't feel stretched to me.

My steerer tube has 20mm of spacers to play with, so although there isn't a huge room for adjustment, there is enough. You could always get a steeper stem and riser bars if you worry though.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions - hope this helped :)
  • DB100
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Does anyone know how far in advance Canyon usually give notice of delays to orders? I'm down to get my Spectral sometime in Week 27 (starts 30th of June) but bit nervous I'll get an email the day before saying it's delayed!
    My wife was due to have her Spectral delivered week 24 she received and email on the Friday of that week saying sorry, week 27 now.
    There are other posts on here saying the same thing.
  • Qui3tman
    Boo, I'll have to remain anxious till the bitter end then!
  • Really cheesed off - managed to get a try of someones Nerve at the Wiggle South Downs Epic ride today and finally decided to take the plunge - only to see they have sold out an 'will not be producing any more this season'!! ******* Back to the drawing board then.
  • patchoman
    patchoman Posts: 9
    DB100 wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    My wife was due to have her Spectral delivered week 24 she received and email on the Friday of that week saying sorry, week 27 now.
    There are other posts on here saying the same thing.

Same here guys, only receive notification of delays at the 11th hour on a Friday.

Ordered the Nerve AL back in April and still no sign of it. Current estimate is week 29, but I am not confident that will happen after so many delays already.

Have fingers crossed that we will all receive our mountain bikes ASAP.
  • t0pc4t
    I don't know what the pattern is here. With so many people saying they'd ordered one I didn't think there was any chance of my Spectral 8 turning up on time but it was with me on the Monday of the week as promised. That was start of June.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Right then - my replacement frame is on the way, a bit earlier than they said.

This is good news as I've got BPW booked in for 10th July and it was looking tight based on their delivery times, plus the time to get it built up, etc.

Frame arrived today, with a new headset and crown race to fit too. And much, much fewer scratches.
  • Qui3tman
    Stupidly I'm beginning to get excited at the prospect of the bike being with me next week. Knowing my luck this means that it will undoubtedly get delayed :(

Also, I'm interested in folks' opinions about whether to stick it out with the Fox 32 evos that come with the bike, or stump up the cash for some 140/150mm pikes and sell the foxs off as new? I'm not the most amazing rider but I've heard so many good things about the pikes and so many bad about the foxs it seems like a no brainer?
  • t0pc4t
    You're going to get a fairly polarised view of the Foxes on here. Try them out and see what you think is my advice.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Qui3tman
    That's what I was planning on doing, but then the resale value goes down :/ I guess you're right, I likely won't notice the difference :mrgreen:
  • Hi,

I've ordered a canyon cf sl 7.9 se and hoping someone can recommend a chain protector that would fit the frame.

Also is it worth purchasing something to protect the bottom of the frame from stray rocks etc? If so any suggestions.

Thank
  • mcnultycop
    Mine came with both.
  • t0pc4t
    so did my spectral

I put a little bit of heli tape where the cables meet the frame and also on the right hand seat stay (as my foot rubbed there on my anthem)

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Oh thats good. I'll hold off from purchasing anything until the bike arrives.

thanks.
  • monofjon
    monofjon Posts: 2
    Seems like the majority in this thread are experiencing some degree of shipment delay.

I ordered my bike 4. april (2014), Nerve 8.9 stealth. Stated delivery on my orderconfirmation were week 21. Now it's week 26, and I still haven't heard anything about shipment.

Whats really annoying is that i haven't recieved any email during these 5 weeks explaining why there is a delay, or when i can expect my bike. The supportcenter (phone) are completely useless, reassuring me that "the bike will be shipped this week"- for the last 4 weeks. Now, at least, they have altered their degree of certainty, saying that the bike hopefully will ship this week.

Anyone else with the same experience? Am i beeing unreasonably dramatic? I'm annoyed as #¤&"#@!

But still, i can't get myself to cancel the order. What if it ships tomorrow! I don't want any other bike, i'm in love.