The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• MTB13
    MTB13 Posts: 29
    Well after a few rides on the Spectral I think I definitely need a longer stem to try and reduced the cramped cockpit. 70mm on at the mo so will try 90 or 100mm.
  • Finally i am ready to buy a Spectral 27.5 unfortunately some of my preferred model/color in my size (M) are sold out now. Does anybody know when Canyon will be launching a new batch of Spectral?

I know it's probably going to be a couple of month from launching to actual delivery, but it might be worth waiting.
  • patchoman
    patchoman Posts: 9
    monofjon wrote:
    Seems like the majority in this thread are experiencing some degree of shipment delay.

I ordered my bike 4. april (2014), Nerve 8.9 stealth. Stated delivery on my orderconfirmation were week 21. Now it's week 26, and I still haven't heard anything about shipment.

Whats really annoying is that i haven't recieved any email during these 5 weeks explaining why there is a delay, or when i can expect my bike. The supportcenter (phone) are completely useless, reassuring me that "the bike will be shipped this week"- for the last 4 weeks. Now, at least, they have altered their degree of certainty, saying that the bike hopefully will ship this week.

Anyone else with the same experience? Am i beeing unreasonably dramatic? I'm annoyed as #¤&"#@!

But still, i can't get myself to cancel the order. What if it ships tomorrow! I don't want any other bike, i'm in love.

Experiencing the very same thing as you.

Ordered a Nerve AL in April and the same thing has happened. It was supposed to be delivered on Week 21, but nothing was mentioned until week 23. On week 23 they said it would be week 24 and then it was going to be week 29!

I don't want to cancel the order either, but if the delays keep on coming there may be no choice as I have no bike at the moment!

It is incredibly frustrating, so appreciate your annoyance and without a doubt you are not alone.
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    I still find it odd that I ordered about a month ago and apart from an invoice I've had no contact with them. Don't even have an account to login and check that my order still exists!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    same for me, you'll see the payment go, then get an email saying it's coming, from there you can track it via UPS.

I was rather hoping it would be delayed in the hope of getting some free kit, but it came on the Monday of the week promised.

First proper session this Sunday
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    hey guys i ordered a spectral 6.9 on 20-6-14 from stock for my girlfriend, paid via bank international money transfer (£4) and the bike has arrived today - 3 days early, maybe im lucky bit its the 3rd canyon and i cant fault any of the delivery/packaging ... etc
    i need more bikes
  • Anyone know if Continental X-King 2,2" RaceSport can go tubeless and are the easy to set up with DT Swiss M1700 Spline

Thinking might try and save weight by going tubeless. Never done it before. So any advice would be great.

Getting excited now that the bike is with UPS.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    How are you guys getting on with these dreaded Fox forks? Im seriously considering a Canyon but im a bit miffed about the fork situation. It seems the 2013 Fox forks were the rubbish ones, but its not clear (to me at least) if the 2014 were any better...cant recall exactly which models (Strive maybe) appeared to have the 2014 forks while most i looked at seemed to have the older, presumably 2013 forks...
    But i cant help detecting a bit of brand snobbery lurking round these here parts...the Trail BOTY (big thread about it where i first learned of the Fox issues) seems to say the winner, a Mondraker Foxy is an absolute pile of pants because of the forks...yet Canyons are considered great bikes in spite of the forks...seems a bit wierd...
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    I've got these forks on my spectral and to be honest I think they are excellent. Took a bit of fiddling to get the settings right but I would expect that with any forks. I've got friends who have tried my bike and they agree with me - pikes seem to be flavour of the month so I agree about the brand snobbery.
  • MTB13
    MTB13 Posts: 29
    Personally I think the Fox/Rockshox argument is the same as any other brand in direct competition. Apple/Blackberry, you've got the lovers and haters of both.

Personally the Fox forks that I've ridden have been fine.
  • 950sm07
    950sm07 Posts: 5
    neilus wrote:
    How are you guys getting on with these dreaded Fox forks? Im seriously considering a Canyon but im a bit miffed about the fork situation. It seems the 2013 Fox forks were the rubbish ones, but its not clear (to me at least) if the 2014 were any better...cant recall exactly which models (Strive maybe) appeared to have the 2014 forks while most i looked at seemed to have the older, presumably 2013 forks...
    But i cant help detecting a bit of brand snobbery lurking round these here parts...the Trail BOTY (big thread about it where i first learned of the Fox issues) seems to say the winner, a Mondraker Foxy is an absolute pile of pants because of the forks...yet Canyons are considered great bikes in spite of the forks...seems a bit wierd...

I have no problem with the 2014 Fox 34 Talas in my Strive it's better than the 2013 which I had in my Giant Trance but I am having problems with the 2014 CTD shock. After four months it became TTT instead of CTD. There is still a slight difference between Trail and Descend but it's less and less after each ride and there is absolutely nothing between Trail and Climb. Canyon would fix it under warranty but I really don't want to miss the bike for two-three weeks in the middle of the season. I asked them if there is an option to pay deposit and get a spare shock before I send mine in for repair and I am waiting for their response now.
  • Totally pissed off. Taken the day off to wait for my bike arrive.

No through axle for the front wheel. Big gouge in fork down to the metal and there is a missing cap on the rear wheel axle.

To top it off they also didn't ship the stand that I ordered for it.

First impressions of direct ordering is a big fat regret.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The front axle came wrapped separately with mine. Have a good hunt.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    yes in the accessory box with the manual

my mate told me the odd plastic tubing that looks like a catheter is in fact for threading new cables through the internal routing.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Qui3tman
    Just phoned Canyon UK and been told that my bike is in the final stages and that I should get an email with UPS tracking details in the next couple of days! We'll see if that actually happens...
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I had to hunt through the boxes to find axle for the front wheel, it was in the black toolkit box. I was a bit worried when I couldn't find it.
  • I found the axle. If had slipped under the coffee table. Felt a bit of an idiot if I am honest.

Regarding the scratch on the fork, Canyon have offered either £75 or I can have a replacement fork. Don't think I can wait for the new fork to arrive. So excited to get out on the new bike so probably going to take the money. I have also asked for a Endura Movistar Team Short Sleeve Jersey as well :D
  • patchoman
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Just phoned Canyon UK and been told that my bike is in the final stages and that I should get an email with UPS tracking details in the next couple of days! We'll see if that actually happens...

Fingers crossed on your behalf!

Would be really interested to know if it ships as expected.
  • GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    Hi, just quick question, I am looking to buy a canyon downhill bike, only thing putting me off if I get the sizing wrong, has anyone sent a bike back? And how much was the cost for return?

Many thanks gjc
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I haven't, but they pick it up at their cost,
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    GJC wrote:
    Hi, just quick question, I am looking to buy a canyon downhill bike, only thing putting me off if I get the sizing wrong, has anyone sent a bike back? And how much was the cost for return?
    Many thanks gjc
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I haven't, but they pick it up at their cost,
    I have sent one back and can concur with Mcnulty, although the whole process (order-delivery-try out-reject-return-refund) took just 7 days and now seems like a dream...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Qui3tman
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:

Well, nothing from them thursday/friday or over the weekend :( Phoned just now and been told that it's due to ship this week... So again we'll see but seems like the usual story! :(
  • redo
    redo Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am interested also in a spectral 7.0 but unfortunately my size/color is out of stock.
    I suppose i have to wait for the 2015 models does anyone have a clue when these will be announced/ be available?

Thank you.
  • My Spectral 29 9.9 EX arrived today and I'm busy putting it together.

One thing that surprised me is that they come with 170mm cranks across every frame size. I'm an XL and have always ridden 175mm. No doubt it's for extra clearance, but does this strike anyone else as odd?

EDIT: The Spectral 8.9 comes with 175mm cranks on every frame size! Bonkers!!!
  • 3 years old this month!

How it looked when I got it:
    temporary-10.jpg

How it looked on a ride tonight:
    MeCanyon_zpsac0d414c.jpg
  • Thinking of ordering a Nerve 7.0 in the Acid Storm colour... Been away from mountain biking for a few years and trying to find a nice bike to ease my way back in. Seems like the best choice at the £1500 price point?

I'm 5'11 and weigh around 11.5 stone and the website is suggesting a medium? Would this be about right or should i be considering a large? Based in South London so will be using the bike a lot around the Surrey Hills area i think!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm 5'11 and weigh around 11.5 stone and the website is suggesting a medium? Would this be about right or should i be considering a large?
    The cruicial factor is at what point in your 5' 11" is the bend! Most people consider the cockpit to be short on Canyon bikes, but I'm 5' 10" with only 29" inside leg and found that the reach was okay on a medium (this was the 29er, it's actually 8mm more on the 26er). Alas the standover was just too much to live with (in spite of appearing okay on paper compared to my old bike) so it went back.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • My inside leg is around 31"... so it seems the medium could be on the snug side for me? A large could be a better bet?
  • patchoman
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:

Well, nothing from them thursday/friday or over the weekend :( Phoned just now and been told that it's due to ship this week... So again we'll see but seems like the usual story! :(

Still holding my breath on your behalf, so has the bike now shipped?
  • Qui3tman
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Patchoman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:

Still holding my breath on your behalf, so has the bike now shipped?

Nope, still nothing yet. Going to phone tomorrow and raise a stink.