mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Where are you based McNulty?

Oldham.
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    That's good to hear, was told by a sales rep that the warranty was only valid in conjunction with the standard spec it came with. Thought that seemed a bit odd when I read it.

I've asked them what they want me to do - I have changed parts so asked them if they will rebuild on the new frame?

If they say the warranty is only valid with the original spec that is an issue, the only bits original are the frame, forks, shock, wheels and crank arms.

Makes no sense, a bit like saying if you change your front mech after a crash the bike is no longer under warranty.
    I think they'll do it, after all it is the frame that requires replacement, they would still have to remove all the bits regardless
  • frankraw
    frankraw Posts: 2
    Before I bought my Spectral I emailed Canyon about changing the forks:

I would like to change the stock Fox fork for a new Rockshox Pike. Is there any problem with doing this? Will it invalidate the frame warranty (I will have it professionally fitted)?

They replied: "Technically you are free to do this, obviously the new fork needs to be the same length in order to not compromise the handling of the bike. According to our terms this would invalidate the warranty but in reality if we did receive a warranty claim on your frame and you had changed the fork we would still consider the warranty case and examine it regardless of the fork - so if for example there was a clear frame failure we would replace it. However if the change in fork looked like it may have lead in some way to a failure it would be within our rights to refuse any warranty claim."

So I think they're saying that an alternative fork that is still appropriate for the bike's intended use wouldn't harm the chance of getting a replacement frame. Taking this further I think they'd find it hard to argue that other changes to the bike - new wheels, drivetrain components etc - would affect the likelihood of causing a frame to crack.
  • mcnultycop
    There is nothing on there out of the ordinary, so I wouldn't expect any issues.

I'll see what they say.
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    blimey mcnulty you have had a quick response I got a reply today after sending them an email last Thursday they have asked for more pics I had already sent them 4 couldn't work out why they needed more so sent more pics then to get a reply 3 hrs later even though I had replied within 15mins saying they hadn't got the pics could I send more so redone that and no reply and you cant even ring them as they have closed the helpline number which tbh is an absolute joke if you ask me
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    frankraw wrote:
    Before I bought my Spectral I emailed Canyon about changing the forks:

I would like to change the stock Fox fork for a new Rockshox Pike. Is there any problem with doing this? Will it invalidate the frame warranty (I will have it professionally fitted)?

They replied: "Technically you are free to do this, obviously the new fork needs to be the same length in order to not compromise the handling of the bike. According to our terms this would invalidate the warranty but in reality if we did receive a warranty claim on your frame and you had changed the fork we would still consider the warranty case and examine it regardless of the fork - so if for example there was a clear frame failure we would replace it. However if the change in fork looked like it may have lead in some way to a failure it would be within our rights to refuse any warranty claim."

So I think they're saying that an alternative fork that is still appropriate for the bike's intended use wouldn't harm the chance of getting a replacement frame. Taking this further I think they'd find it hard to argue that other changes to the bike - new wheels, drivetrain components etc - would affect the likelihood of causing a frame to crack.

Well that's a more reassuring reply than the one I got:
    "Hi Phillip,

The max travel on the Spectral is the same as that on the EX model:

150mm on the front and 140mm rear.

Please note that changing the fork and rear shock on one of our bikes does technically invalidate the warranty as the frame has been designed specifically to work with the shocks we supply with it.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd"

I guess it depends on who you ask :/ Am looking at swapping out the fox 32 on my 6.0 for a 140 or 150mm Pike and swapping the brakes out (not sure what for though, any suggestions?) so would like the warranty to remain valid if possible :mrgreen:
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    mcnultycop wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    14173667718_647a3048fd_b.jpg
    Frame crack by mcnultycop, on Flickr

I too have a crack.

Not sure if it's paint or more serious, I've emailed Canyon to see what they say.

They have said they'll replace the frame under warranty, so I need to box it and get it back to them.

Anyone got a Canyon box they don't need, please?

I have the cardboard box that my Spectral came in last week if that's any good? I'm in Leigh near Warrington/Wigan.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    mcnultycop - just got to a local bike shop and ask them for an empty bike box, they'll have loads and it saves them having to dispose of it. As you've changed so many parts on it I'd be tempted to strip it and just send the frame back to avoid bits going missing and being replaced with original parts (assuming new bits are better)

Interesting reading the different responses to swapping parts voiding the warrant, it sounds like they would be sensible about it but if you swap forks and there is a problem with the headtube they'd probably have an issue with it. I can't see how different brakes could have any adverse effect as they are all of similar power, my personal preference is Shimano SLX or XT
  • mcnultycop
    No issue at all. They are sending me a new frame, and reimbursing me the cost of LBS building it back up. (I could do it myself, but happier to have someone else doing it if it's being paid for). I then send the frame back with the LBS receipt and they'll reimburse me.

Sounds ok to me.
  • DB100
    Just received my email from Canyon.
    My Spectral 8.9 has been shipped. :D:D
  • mcnultycop
    Cue learning obscure German parcel depot names as you track the bike...
  • DB100
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Cue learning obscure German parcel depot names as you track the bike...
    LOL :D:D:D
    There's a man who's been through the process.
  • mrcoley
    So canyon have got back to me regarding my frame crack they are going to replace the chainstays which is what I was expecting now heres the problem they've told me its going to be upto 4 weeks for a replacement which to me just isn't good enough I could buy the small spectral and swap the chainstays over quicker than that. So I told them its not on and I would expect it to be a lot quicker. On another note they don't reply to emails very quickly either even when I reply back to them immedietly and why advertise on their website that the service centre is pen 10am -5pm call us on 0208 65ohduetohighlevelsofcallsthislineisnowclosed <<<<-- this is all you get after 5 rings what a joke
  • DB100
    edited June 2014
    mrcoley wrote:
    So canyon have got back to me regarding my frame crack they are going to replace the chainstays which is what I was expecting now heres the problem they've told me its going to be upto 4 weeks for a replacement which to me just isn't good enough I could buy the small spectral and swap the chainstays over quicker than that. So I told them its not on and I would expect it to be a lot quicker. On another note they don't reply to emails very quickly either even when I reply back to them immedietly and why advertise on their website that the service centre is pen 10am -5pm call us on 0208 65ohduetohighlevelsofcallsthislineisnowclosed <<<<-- this is all you get after 5 rings what a joke
    Under the sales of goods act, they have the right to offer repair or replacement. It must however be in a timely manner, trouble is there is no definition of timely.
    Even if you took a case against them, it would take longer than the repair.
    Remind me, how long have you had it?
  • mrcoley
    3 months
  • mcnultycop

I have the cardboard box that my Spectral came in last week if that's any good? I'm in Leigh near Warrington/Wigan.

Only just noticed this. Thanks for the offer: looks like I don't need it though!
  • Has anyone got any experience of the canyon cf sl 7.9? I am getting bored if looking at bikes and the internal debate of hard tail, full suss, 29er v 27.5 so looking to order something sooner rather than later and this is one of my favourites.

Going to try and test ride a giant xtc 29er as well, but the spec and advertised weight of the canyon cf sl 7.9 is so much better.

Also when the website says out of stock, can this mean that it's temporarily out of stock of that it's reached its product life and you have to wait for the 2015 release.

Thanks in advance.
  • DB100
    A week or two ago, certain sizes of the 7.9 were out of stock, they then went to "from stock" and a couple of weeks wait.
    I asked about this, what they do is tool the production line to produce a whole batch of say Spectrals, then they re tool and do a batch of nerve etc.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    mcnultycop wrote:
    No issue at all. They are sending me a new frame, and reimbursing me the cost of LBS building it back up. (I could do it myself, but happier to have someone else doing it if it's being paid for). I then send the frame back with the LBS receipt and they'll reimburse me.

Sounds ok to me.

Nope no issue, that sounds spot on
    mrcoley wrote:

I've just checked my emails and below is what they sent me about warranty replacements.

"For warranty replacement frames the situation is a little different as these frames are sourced from a separate stock to production bikes. We would still normally expect a lead time of anything from 2-4 weeks for a warranty frame replacement, sometimes longer."

So 4 weeks is normal, to be honest I've heard of people waiting months and months for replacement frames for other very swish brands and 4 weeks isn't out of the norm for warranty replacements from brands that are generally good.

Phone line being closed isn't great though...
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Spectral came Monday and while checking it there was a weld where the chainstay was braced that I was concerned about. Mailed them with pics yesterday morning, got a reply by 11am saying they'd checked the pics with a technician and also checked other Spectrals and that they did not believe there was an issue.

Pretty rapid service imo
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • DB100
    My Spectral 8.9 is now on it's way, however, my wife ordered a Spectral 7 w before me, but she has not had any shipping notice. It was due for shipping this week. I fear a delay coming on :(
  • Qui3tman
    mcnultycop wrote:

Sounds ok to me.

That's very decent service tbh, puts my only concern with buying direct to rest!
  • Qui3tman
    So the new Canyon Strive announcement has been guzzumped by Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/canyon-str ... -look.html

Looks /very/ nice, and the kit list is shiny. Not too sure about adding another bar lever and more complexity into the rear shock but if the system works as well as they say then it'll be very nice. They've also added a "race" size which has a longer front centre to answer the sizing issues, which is a win! (though I don't know whether I'm a large or a medium race now...).

Anyone else tempted? The 9.0 comes in at about £3500.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup the first canyon i would think of looking at, frame sizing seems sensible now!
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited June 2014
    Qui3tman wrote:
    So the new Canyon Strive announcement has been guzzumped by Pinkbike:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... page+Slide

Think I'll wait for the cheaper alloy one although the weight of the cheapest CF is only 12.7 Kg
  • DB100
    My Spectral AL 8.9 is in the UPS van on the way to my house.
    I must admit though, my excitement is somewhat tempered by the sizing issue.
    I hate short cockpits, my SC Blur LT was short, great bike but I preferred to ride my EX 9.8 daily.
    I asked Canyon to confirm the sizing and they said definitely medium.
    I hope they're right or it'll be on the next boat home, I really don't want that.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Darn that strive looks nice, complicated, but nice.
  • DB100
    My Spectral 8.9 has arrived, the wheels seem massive, I guess I'll get used to them.
    It is a very handsome bike indeed. Does anyone know how to mount the dropper button on the left under the bar?
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    it has a section the book dedicated to putting it together, I am pretty sure dropper posts are covered there
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Strive looks nice.

Cannot help but think they should have gone to a 31.6mm dropper post so they could spec them with 150mm drops and shorten the seat tube further.