The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• 2015 bikes are on the site and available for order.
    Spectral AL 7.0 EX looks great.
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Just comparing my al8.0 to the 2015 model, nothing has really changed,switched to Shimano brakes, down sized the tyres, and went to a canyon stem and bar instead of the 2014 raceface items, and added a chain device, same colours and forks & shock. Nice to see that you can get an XL frame now for the al 27.5.

Still the same price :D
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I like the colour scheme on this one

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3560

The top tube length has increased 612mm to 627mm for the size L for example.
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    First impressions of the Spectral AL 8.9.
    Apart from the previous posts regarding damage on delivery.
    Well, it is short in the cockpit, first time I rode it I felt on it rather than in it, felt a bit like I would be ejected via the front windscreen at the pull of the lever. I was advised medium on the 29 and that's what I got, the stand over height on the large would be unusable for me. If you do a tight slow 360 you can clout your knees on the bars.
    That said, after riding it a few times over my usual route, it is faster, without doubt, and I am currently not as fit as the last few times I rode the route on my 26 Fuel EX 9.8, so fitness is not relevant here. I am consistently faster over all sections measured by my Edge 800, also I have ditched my Time carbon clipless and I am riding on platform with Shimano AM shoes, from my front door the climb is constant for over a mile with around 700 ft height gain. I have noticed no disadvantage riding Platform v Clipless ( for what it's worth)
    I am much more comfortable now, ditched the saddle an fitted a Specialized Phenom, I am used to the bike now, the fit is good, you definitely have to change your style of riding a little on the bigger wheels but I am now enjoying the bike very much. No shock or Fork problems to report, going tubeless next.
    I see they have changed the top tube length on the new bike, should make sizing easier.
    :D
  • Just had the email regarding the new 2015 bikes available for order. :D
    Here's the Spectral series for 2015:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... al-al.html

The spectral 6.0 has a had slight update, it comes with shimano slx brakes/chain guide & different tyres and still same price.

Don't like the Petrol color scheme on the 6.0....it would have been nice if it was in the blue similar to the strive :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Nice to see they've stretched the geometry out, though the wheelbase figures on the spectral look a little out. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, look forward to seeing the carbon version! :lol:
  • DB100
    Errmmmm
    Carbon Mtb
    Having had one I would never buy another. Trek Fuel EX 9.8 first proper ride a guy in front went over a cricket ball sized rock spat out under my bike right into the BB shell two deep chips/ gouges. Now here's the thing, take it back to the shop, they can do no more than me, tap test and visual inspection. Cannot reassure me the carbon is not damaged. Every time I ride the thing and hear a new noise I fear impending catastrophic failure. Fact is they just don't stand up well to crashes and the damage is often invisible and they fail without warning.
    Trek also do much the same (or did) visual inspection, I am sure other manufacturers do the same. When you think about it, it's pretty poor really, here's your £4500 bike sir but don't ask me post crash if it's damaged or not I can't tell without X raying the thing, unless there's a crack or hole in it, can you x ray it then? Er, no!
    The only way to check damage is to X-ray the bike, as far as I know, only one manufacturer has a CT scanner, guess who?
    You may think I am being paranoid but why did Trek introduce carbon armour on their Carbon models? Loads of returns perhaps?
    Alloy all the way for me :D:D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    DB100 wrote:
    Errmmmm
    Carbon Mtb
    Having had one I would never buy another. Trek Fuel EX 9.8 first proper ride a guy in front went over a cricket ball sized rock spat out under my bike right into the BB shell two deep chips/ gouges. Now here's the thing, take it back to the shop, they can do no more than me, tap test and visual inspection. Cannot reassure me the carbon is not damaged. Every time I ride the thing and hear a new noise I fear impending catastrophic failure. Fact is they just don't stand up well to crashes and the damage is often invisible and they fail without warning.
    Trek also do much the same (or did) visual inspection, I am sure other manufacturers do the same. When you think about it, it's pretty poor really, here's your £4500 bike sir but don't ask me post crash if it's damaged or not I can't tell without X raying the thing, unless there's a crack or hole in it, can you x ray it then? Er, no!
    The only way to check damage is to X-ray the bike, as far as I know, only one manufacturer has a CT scanner, guess who?
    You may think I am being paranoid but why did Trek introduce carbon armour on their Carbon models? Loads of returns perhaps?

Funny that, I've had absolutely zero issues with my carbon bike... :roll:

I dropped mine on to a brick wall and was left nothing but a scratch, it's been properly hammered and save a few superficial marks it's not missed a beat. My old alu frame however has a dent in the top tube from a small crash. Carbon tech nowadays is pretty damn good, buy from a reputable manufacturer and you'll get a great product that will more than likely go the distance and if you do have a problem warranties from most brands are pretty good. As far as I'm concerned the only reason not to go carbon is if you can't afford it.
  • DB100
    lawman wrote:
    DB100 wrote:
    Errmmmm
    Carbon Mtb

Funny that, I've had absolutely zero issues with my carbon bike... :roll:

I dropped mine on to a brick wall and was left nothing but a scratch, it's been properly hammered and save a few superficial marks it's not missed a beat. My old alu frame however has a dent in the top tube from a small crash. Carbon tech nowadays is pretty damn good, buy from a reputable manufacturer and you'll get a great product that will more than likely go the distance and if you do have a problem warranties from most brands are pretty good. As far as I'm concerned the only reason not to go carbon is if you can't afford it.

Just my point, how do you know it's ok, you don't. Without an x ray you cannot tell if the carbon fibres are damaged.
    Regarding your alloy frame, yes a dent, you can see it, you know it's there, again just the point I was making.
    Yes carbon tech is good ,no doubt, but you simply cannot spot critical damage on a carbon frame unless it is glaringly obvious.
    Also why carbon? the manufactures want us to buy carbon because it suits them, carbon is not the only choice for frame material, I am not anti carbon but I am not keen personally as a first choice for MTB frames. 99% of riders would get everything they need from a Alloy frame and most frames,components etc from decent manufacturers out perform most riders.
    Warranties are different from crash replacement policies, policies created (largely) with the carbon boom, why?
    Simply because carbon is vulnerable to impact damage, and like I said, you can't always see it. I have had big offs on my Santacruz and I ride it without that niggling doubt that I have with my Trek.
    Here's my bike list,
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Santacruz Blur LT 2
    Enigma Echo Custom Built Titanium full Dura Ace.
    Canyon Spectral AL8.9
    So trust me, affordability is not the reason I would, personally, not choose Carbon again on an MTB.
    But each to their own :D:D
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 28
    Assuming the link works, preliminary details of the Spectral CF

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/exclusive-firs ... l-cf-2015/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2014/mtb.html

And the rest of the Canyon range. They ve certainly got some big ideas! (it's the dark side but look at the MRSC thingum they ve done on a road bike with electronically adjusted suspension! makes the Strive look a bit naff really...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adamfo
    The cheapest Strive comes in at £2200. What do you think ?

strive-al-6_c1102.jpg

Race version £100 more

strive-al-6-race_c1085.png

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ve-al.html
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    adamfo wrote:
    The cheapest Strive comes in at £2200. What do you think ?

strive-al-6_c1102.jpg

Race version £100 more

strive-al-6-race_c1085.png

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ve-al.html
    I've been waiting for these to come out love the black and orange. Anyone want to buy an orange alpine?
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    What size wheel's are these? Can't find anything on the website?
  • adamfo
    clioterus wrote:
    What size wheel's are these? Can't find anything on the website?

650b. Supersize the main photo and the wheel says 27.5.

The race version is worth the extra money. It's lighter.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm trying to work out the difference between two of the bikes, can anyone shed any light?

There's the Grand Canyon CF SL 6.9 (https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2) and the Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9 CH (https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2) (What a mouthful!) they both have identical components but the one ending in CF is £128 cheaper and the only info about it says:

"Limited edition. This model was designed especially for the Swiss market and is now also available outside Switzerland in limited numbers.
    Apart from the design the Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9 CH is identical to the relevant canyon.com model."

What part of the design? I can't see any geometry written anywhere.

Also, how do these compare to something like a Trek Superfly hardtail? they seem to be a bit better value for money
  • adamfo
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'm trying to work out the difference between two of the bikes, can anyone shed any light?

There's the Grand Canyon CF SL 6.9 (https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2) and the Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9 CH (https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2) (What a mouthful!) they both have identical components but the one ending in CF is £128 cheaper and the only info about it says:

"Limited edition. This model was designed especially for the Swiss market and is now also available outside Switzerland in limited numbers.
    Apart from the design the Grand Canyon CF SL 29 6.9 CH is identical to the relevant canyon.com model."

What part of the design? I can't see any geometry written anywhere.

Also, how do these compare to something like a Trek Superfly hardtail? they seem to be a bit better value for money

Canyon don't have the rights to use the Canyon brand name in Switzerland (CH) so the decals are different.
  • Paul 8v
    Ah, I see. I could live with that for 128 quid to be fair
  • Just placed an order for a new Grand Canyon al slx 8.9

Was going for a 7.9 but spotted a factory outlet 8.9 which was the same price- it's been used
  • The black and orange strive looks awesome, in fact all the colours on the strive range look good. Wish the spectral 2015 range had better colours. I think I may be ordering a spectral 6.0 soon but in the polished finish.
  • I really need some help to choose a canyon for myself. I am looking at the strive bikes but stuck between a few of the different models.... The Race geometry vs standard geometry makes virtually no difference to me as I seem to be on the edge of frame sizes and would therefor take a med in the race geometry bikes and a large in the standard bikes meaning there is only a difference of 30mm in the seat tube (bar a mm here or there) and the seat tube is still over 30mm shorter than my current bike.
    So I am stuck between the.........
    AL 7.0 Race with pikes, monarch +, 11 speed at £2599
    AL 7.0 with the new Fox 36, CC Inline shock but setup 2x10 and a touch heavier at £2799
    CF 8.0 Race with Pikes + monarch +, 11 speed at £3199

So firstly is the carbon frame really worth an extra £600????
    Should I stick with Pikes or go for the unproven 36????
    and is 1x11 that much better than 1x10????
    which one would you go for and why?????
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • I suppose the CF 8.0 should be in the mix aswell
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • The 2015 Canyon product brochure PDF http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/download/CAN_ProduktFlyer_EN.pdf has some basic details on the specication of the new 2015 Grand Canyon AL 6.9

Grand Canyon AL 6.9 Spec
    Fork RockShox Reba RL
    Hubs / Rims Mavic CrossOne
    Drivetrain Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes Shimano M506

I don't see this model actually listed on the Canyon website as being available to purchase (perhaps they are trying to shift the remaining 2014 stock)

The only obvious difference I can see is that the 2015 model is kitted out with Shimano brakes, whereas the 2014 has Avid Elixir 5.

Is it worth holding out for the 2015 model, or try and grab a 2014 one from their factory outlet if it gets discounted?

Cheers

Al
  • Paul 8v
    upnorthal wrote:
    The 2015 Canyon product brochure PDF http://www.canyon.com/eurobike2014/download/CAN_ProduktFlyer_EN.pdf has some basic details on the specication of the new 2015 Grand Canyon AL 6.9

Grand Canyon AL 6.9 Spec
    Fork RockShox Reba RL
    Hubs / Rims Mavic CrossOne
    Drivetrain Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes Shimano M506

I don't see this model actually listed on the Canyon website as being available to purchase (perhaps they are trying to shift the remaining 2014 stock)

The only obvious difference I can see is that the 2015 model is kitted out with Shimano brakes, whereas the 2014 has Avid Elixir 5.

Is it worth holding out for the 2015 model, or try and grab a 2014 one from their factory outlet if it gets discounted?

Cheers

Al

If that's all that's different I'd get a reduced 2014 one
  • I've got the nerve al and the headset is grinding already , cane creek series 40 but when look at them online there are loads of different types as far as I can see, can anyone point me in the right direction , thanks. Otherwise great bike.
  • Cyclone5 wrote:
    I've got the nerve al and the headset is grinding already , cane creek series 40 but when look at them online there are loads of different types as far as I can see, can anyone point me in the right direction , thanks. Otherwise great bike.
    Is it still under warranty? Because in that case I would contact Canyon first.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Even if it's out of warranty it's worth emailing Canyon to see if they will sort you out with replacement bearings.

UK Bike Store seems to have them all and at a good price http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/40 ... rings.html

Just remove them and measure outside diameter but the bottom is probably 52mm and the top 41mm

Superstar also sell bearings but make sure they are exactly the right size as the 1.5" SSC bearing is 7mm deep but the CC one is 6.5mm http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/s ... s-headset/
  • Tubeless advice requested. Got my Nerve AL7.9 29er in August with DT Swiss M1900 wheels. Have had a recent run of punctures so thinking of going tubeless for the first time. Seems Stans is more popular kit but which version and is there any benefit to go for DT Swiss kit instead?? (or why not to go for Stans)
  • oldeh
    oldeh Posts: 1
    so I've decided on the spectral for my next bike but not sure which spec. from looking around i want to go for the rs pike right off the bat as everyone seems to want to upgrade to it, I've had a short ride on one and it felt great. the AL 8.0 ex looks pretty amazing but the 7.0 ex looks nice too. any thought? is worth the extra money for the ccdb and better drive train? will it be noticeably better. considering this will be my first full suss and even the entry level spectral would be a jump up from my current bike.