The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Neal_ wrote:
    jmgeon wrote:
    Had my Spectral al 9.0 ex two weeks ago and it is just an amazing bike in every aspect! With the Sram roam 50 rims and Conti Mountain King II/Trail king tyres tried to go tubeless, but I do not know what I am doing wrong, the pressures just do not stay in. I pured some Stan's sealant in, but still no help, all the sealant just leaked out between the rim and the tire. With UST rims and tyres should be "dead easy" I guess, but I do not know how should I do this. Any ideas? Seems that I just cannot get proper contact with the rim and the tyres when putting pressure in. Haven't tried this before though, so perhaps there is an easy solution to this?

I've got the DT XM 1501 rims so will be a bit different to the Roam 50 but both should work. To be honest the conti MK2 didn't go up as quite as easy as the Schwalbe Magic Mary I put on the front which practically seated without pumping up and my MK2 did bubble slightly for about an hour between the tyre bead and the rim. I know of others who have struggled going tubeless with conti tyres so I followed their instructions in their youtube vids (see below) and scrubbed the tyres to clean them and made sure the rims were clean then rubbed stans fluid on the inside of the tyre and bead and the rim hook before pouring in 2 cups of stans and inflating to 45psi to seat them. After giving them a good shake put the wheel horizontal on a bucket for an hour each side to let the stans seal the tyre.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei= ... less+video

I had some issues with going tubeless too with roam 50 / conti tyres - mine sealed ok around the rim after inflating to 40 psi and using technique as described by Neal above but my main issue was with the rear tyre which had 100's of tiny pin holes in the side walls which Canyon replaced for free no quibble
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    p4pb11035566.jpg

so is this going to be the 1st frame going back under warranty only had it 3 months and its not been crashed or ridden to hard anyone had experience with a frame warranty issue
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    What bike is it?
    Where is it on the frame, hard to tell from the pic, chain stay?
  • mrcoley
    yeah on the chainstay its a spectral 6.0
  • DB100
    edited June 2014
    Looks like a fatigue crack to me, no sign of impact damage. It happens though every now and then. All it takes is a microscopic flaw in the metal.
    I'm sure Canyon will sort it. Have you contacted them?
  • mrcoley
    ive just emailed them 15 mins ago with a very disappointed worded email
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've enquired previously about warranty replacements and they come from different stock to new sales so they said it's usually resolved in a couple of weeks, I'd be gutted too but I'm sure they'll sort you out properly without too much bother. Stuff breaks!
  • mrcoley
    wonder if I can get some nice extras for the hassle lol
  • DB100
    One thing is for sure, if you don't ask, you don't get, it's just about how you word your email.
    Big the company and bike up first, then, quite rightly lay the disappointment on them. They should respond well. :D
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Is that a crack in the lacquer filled with dirt or in the alloy ?
  • DB100
    adamfo wrote:

Doesn't make any difference, I would still send it back. :D
    The lacquer would mean still safe to ride but I would still want it sorting. Looks like the metal though
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    14173667718_647a3048fd_b.jpg
    Frame crack by mcnultycop, on Flickr

I too have a crack.

Not sure if it's paint or more serious, I've emailed Canyon to see what they say.
  • DB100
    That one looks more like a paint crack along the weld.
    How old is the bike?
  • DB100
    DB100 wrote:
    That one looks more like a paint crack along the weld.
    How old is the bike?
    Upon a second closer look it does seem to move away from the weld. ermm :?:
  • mcnultycop
    22 months old. Ish.

2 year warranty I think, so making sure I've at least flagged it to them in time.
  • mcnultycop
    I noticed this a few months ago by the way, it's had a few clattering a round Lee and Antur since then, amongst other places and I don't think it has worsened.
  • MTB13
    MTB13 Posts: 29
    imagejpg1_zps9529e917.jpg

Surprising how much bigger the 650b wheels look when stood next to a 26" wheel.
  • mrcoley
    adamfo wrote:

thing is as its the raw finish you cant really tell it has split the lacquer but having workied in a bodyshop ive not really seen a crack appear in lacquer like this and one that has splintered off in more than one direction if it was fibreglass then it could be possible but not alloy I wouldn't of thought
  • Derfonic
    Derfonic Posts: 14
    Hi guys. Thinking about ordering a Spectral 7.0. Is any one by any chance. 5'7" (170cm) tall with A 30" inside leg that can advise me on size?

Also I started this thread. Any comment would be appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12971741&p=18906596#p18906596

thanks
  • DB100
    Go on to the canyon website. Enter your pps info.
    inseam, torso length, arm length, shoulder width in cm then if it comes up small order a medium . Medium order a large, only with the Spectral 650b not the 29er. All of the reviews state the sizing is very small.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Derfonic wrote:
    Hi guys. Thinking about ordering a Spectral 7.0. Is any one by any chance. 5'7" (170cm) tall with A 30" inside leg that can advise me on size?

Also I started this thread. Any comment would be appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12971741&p=18906596#p18906596

thanks

The sizing is smaller than others and about the same as Santa Cruz. My inseam is 81cm and my medium Spectral 27.5" is perfect, there is about 5cm seatpost showing between the bottom of the reverb collar and the seartpost clamp so if your inseam is 76cm you should be ok with the medium. On their sizing tool it recommends getting a small but knew it wouldn't be big enough and by adding 1cm to my inseam it recommends a medium, I did consider getting a large but glad I didn't.
  • Derfonic
    Derfonic Posts: 14
    Thanks guys. Have seen all the reports saying choose a size bigger. I'm on the cusp of small and Mediums on most bikes and on the Canyon it's X-small/ small so guess I could go with either. Everybody had said Medium for me but the point about the dropper post is interesting. Like you say, should be OK.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    My Spectral is waiting for me at home right now!

If you have a question on sizing, mail Canyon, they are very responsive. I went through the size calculator and came out a medium, I found this a bit fishy as my Anthem is a large. I mailed them and within an hour got a response saying I should go for a large.

If the bike comes and it's not a good fit, send it back.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • DB100
    t0pc4t wrote:
    My Spectral is waiting for me at home right now!

If you have a question on sizing, mail Canyon, they are very responsive. I went through the size calculator and came out a medium, I found this a bit fishy as my Anthem is a large. I mailed them and within an hour got a response saying I should go for a large.

If the bike comes and it's not a good fit, send it back.

Is that the 650b version, I did the same, I usually ride a large Santacruz and that is a smaller bike, but I ordered a Spectral AL 8.9, I also came up medium, mailed Canyon and the response was, " having looked at your measurements I can assure you that a medium will be the correct size". I hope it is!
    The 29er is a bit bigger than the 650b version. Also I have played around with measurements in the PPS tool on the website and it doesn't seem to make much difference what you enter. I have put 2 to 3 cm on my inseam. 2 on my arms etc but it still says medium.
    I hope it'll be okay when it arrives.
  • t0pc4t
    Yeah it's the 650b.

You have time to check the sizing and send it back so other than the (epic) wait, if it doesn't fit I won't have lost anything.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop wrote:
    14173667718_647a3048fd_b.jpg
    Frame crack by mcnultycop, on Flickr

I too have a crack.

Not sure if it's paint or more serious, I've emailed Canyon to see what they say.

They have said they'll replace the frame under warranty, so I need to box it and get it back to them.

Anyone got a Canyon box they don't need, please?
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    That's good to hear, was told by a sales rep that the warranty was only valid in conjunction with the standard spec it came with. Thought that seemed a bit odd when I read it.
  • DB100
    edited June 2014
    Result!!
    Are you going to strip your bike or send it over or let them do it?
    Can't really argue with that customer service, shame you'll be without your bike though, any idea what sort of lead time it will be??? :D
  • t0pc4t
    Where are you based McNulty?

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mcnultycop
    Qui3tman wrote:
    That's good to hear, was told by a sales rep that the warranty was only valid in conjunction with the standard spec it came with. Thought that seemed a bit odd when I read it.

I've asked them what they want me to do - I have changed parts so asked them if they will rebuild on the new frame?

If they say the warranty is only valid with the original spec that is an issue, the only bits original are the frame, forks, shock, wheels and crank arms.