New Orange for 2012

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I didn't see the bike but at least one of these new Patriots is already deaded apparently, swingarm twisted during the no fuss endurance dh. Not a great start! Even my slightly breaky Cotic made it through the day :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    so put your misses panties back on fella
    Please what you do in your own home is upto you ,but dont assume i am also into this sort of thing :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    paul20v wrote:
    Please what you do in your own home is upto you ,but dont assume i am also into this sort of thing :lol:

You love it I know. you just love the little details on the lacy numbers admit it :p
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Their bikes win test after test (albeit in UK mags)

Albeit in MBR ;-)
  • paul20v
    paul20v wrote:

You love it I know. you just love the little details on the lacy numbers admit it :p
    No i used find the lacy numbers used too irritate to much :D
  • Thewaylander
    paul20v wrote:
    paul20v wrote:

No i used find the lacy numbers used too irritate to much :D

Always catch in the crack a bit for you too :o
  • paul20v

Always catch in the crack a bit for you too :o
    :D
  • Must admit it makes me laugh when people bang on about Orange not changing their designs. If it works why do they need to?

Others seem to change the whole design of the frame every year. Is this not just an admission that the year before's model wasn't up to it? Why change the whole thing if it worked? Surely you'd just refine it? It couldn't just be to make people want the swanky new design could it? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Orange constantly change their designs- is that an admission that the old ones weren't "up to it" :?

Who changes "the whole design of the frame every year"? (answer- practically nobody)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You know what I mean :roll: Orange refine the bikes that work. The 2012 5 frame is almost the same as the 2011 and the 2010 had little changed from 2009. The original ST4 had issues so it had an overhaul.

Have not got time to give examples of complete frame re-thinks right now but will later if you'd like?
  • Northwind
    I wait with bated breath :lol: Remember, every year.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul20v
    Northwind wrote:
    Orange constantly change their designs- is that an admission that the old ones weren't "up to it" :?
    I thought this was a post that started because they were not changing there design
    wasnt it started as sarcasm if so what is this quote all about :?
  • Northwind
    Anyone who thinks Orange don't change their designs isn't paying attention. Sure they're still monocoque single pivots, but does anyone say "Specialized never change their designs, they're all horst-links and tubes"?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    paul20v wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    I thought this was a post that started because they were not changing there design
    wasnt it started as sarcasm if so what is this quote all about :?
    I think he's asking why orange are constantly changing geo and adding tapered head tubes and ISCG tabs etc. Easy answer. They weren't commonplace a couple of years ago etc, especially on trail bikes, however now more people want them, and they're just keeping up with the competition. Also, if they had done everything they could possibly do to make the best bike ever, they wouldn't be able to say "new for this year!" etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    No, I'm not asking why they do that. I'm just pointing out that they do- whereas some people seem to think that Orange don't change their designs, like Brocklander.

The fact is today's Orange bikes are miles better than older ones, precisely because like everyone else in the industry, they're constantly changing. I did see one idiot comment on the Dirt website that he wasn't going to upgrade his 2001 Patriot to a new one because "It looks like it's more or less the same" :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    Northwind wrote:
    No, I'm not asking why they do that. I'm just pointing out that they do- whereas some people seem to think that Orange don't change their designs, like Brocklander.

The fact is today's Orange bikes are miles better than older ones, precisely because like everyone else in the industry, they're constantly changing. I did see one idiot comment on the Dirt website that he wasn't going to upgrade his 2001 Patriot to a new one because "It looks like it's more or less the same" :lol:
    Ah ok I see what you mean, though I do like that they've mostly kept it simple with single pivot, and just refined that design. But yeah, the new ones and old ones are totally different bikes, I've had a 2001 patriot and a 2008 patriot, and the 2008 one is so much more capable, on tech downhill, and pedalling as well, due to the lower pivot. lovely bike. Does tend to blow through it's travel a little though.

And for those complaining about price, see my sig for what you can do with a newer orange patriot for under a grand, just wait for someone to buy the new one and buy it in a couple of years! Mine came in immaculate nick as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    Dirt website that he wasn't going to upgrade his 2001 Patriot to a new one because "It looks like it's more or less the same"

Maybe a new one will be no better for him! If he doesn't need new tabs, dropper routing or like the new geo, very likely the old one does the job just fine.

But I see what you are saying. The 'looks' thing certainly swings both ways.[/code]
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited July 2011
    Dirt website that he wasn't going to upgrade his 2001 Patriot to a new one because "It looks like it's more or less the same"

I take that to mean, just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same.

The 5 has gone through many changes since it's inception.

The rear swingarm has been reprofiled/lightened, the downtube was reprofiled/stiffened, the toptube has been completely replaced/lightened, the seatube replaced, the headtube replaced, the swingarm pivot position has been moved on at least two occasions, the head angle slackened, ISCG tabs fitted and various shock tunes.

Ignorance is Bliss............. just because they look the same. :roll:
  • Thewaylander
    Haha now all the the orange fans are taking a bit of light ribbibg 100% seriously you guys make me giggle.
  • Dirtydog11
    Haha now all the the orange fans are taking a bit of light ribbibg 100% seriously you guys make me giggle.

Nah, just trying to educate the un-educated.

What exactly is your contribution to the thread?
  • supersonic
    TBH they could paint it pink, weld on antlers and omit the downtube altogether, it would still win MBR tests...
  • Thewaylander
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

Nah, just trying to educate the un-educated.

What exactly is your contribution to the thread?

Since someone else did the baiting i can only say i brought a small tad of reeling. for which i apologise :p but its so easy with Orange owners lol
  • Northwind wrote:

I am fully aware of the changes Orange make. My post was in response to the thread following the usual BR route regarding Orange i.e 'They all look the same so must be rubbish and overpriced'.
  • paul20v

Since someone else did the baiting i can only say i brought a small tad of reeling. for which i apologise :p but its so easy with Orange owners lol
    You must admit thou what other make gets a hammering just for being mentioned .
  • ilovedirt
    paul20v wrote:

Aye, I'm not sure why people like to pick on orange owners especially, there's a certain amount of fanboyism that comes with owning any bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dirtydog11
    ilovedirt wrote:
    paul20v wrote:

Aye, I'm not sure why people like to pick on orange owners especially, there's a certain amount of fanboyism that comes with owning any bike.

I could post all day about my Kinesis ( I have) and Saracen, have a sensible discussion and swap a few ideas, unfortunately you just can't do that when it comes to anything Orange they end up like this one, pointless!

I wouldn't mind betting Orange owners are reluctant to even post, if that is the case then when it comes to discussing anything Orange this forum IMO is no longer fit for purpose.
  • supersonic
    The 'forum' is not a singular thing - there are plenty of fans of the bike as this thread demonstrates. And plenty who don't like it.

If you want to hear just good comments, then maybe an owners forum is better lol!
  • paul20v
    supersonic wrote:
    And plenty who don't like it.

If you want to hear just good comments, then maybe an owners forum is better lol!
    But the comment are not good or bad as such there just bitching mainly and mainly from what i gather the biggest percentage of bitching is from people who have never owned one so how usefull is that on any forum ?
    so asking again why is it mainly orange bikes that get the bashing ?
    and its not just this forum either .
  • ilovedirt
    paul20v wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    And plenty who don't like it.

But the comment are not good or bad as such there just bitching mainly and mainly from what i gather the biggest percentage of bitching is from people who have never owned one so how usefull is that on any forum ?
    so asking again why is it mainly orange bikes that get the bashing ?
    and its not just this forum either .
    I think people like to moan about them because they're expensive and don't seem to represent great value to a lot of people due to the fact that a lot of them are single pivot and therefore aren't costly to make and orange don't spend any R&D money on them and orange owners are stupid to spend so much money on such a bike.

Just a guess. And I'd like to add that I'm not bitter!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ilovedirt wrote:
    We don't even HAVE to pick on Orange owners. We just mention the name Orange, and they immediately get all defensive. I'm sure a psychiatrist could write a whole thesis on them.