New Orange for 2012

Comments

• dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    Hence why I wrote "Obviously this is all my personal opinion"

Are you still sour about the clipless pedal thread? Ahhh didums.

If you haven't got anything constructive to say, you know the rest...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You do seem to believe that anyone who differs from your opinion is incorrect for whatever reason.
    Take that as constructive criticism, then stick it in your pipe and smoke it if you like.
  • dubmodder
    edited August 2011
    You do seem to believe that anyone who differs from your opinion is incorrect for whatever reason.

Where did I say, "I'm right, and all of you are wrong"?

I was replying to Bens post and you but in with your retarded opinions as usual, can't you just keep it shut
  • Anonymous
    No need to get agressive - I'm just saying...
    You also seem to have an incredibly short fuse.
  • dubmodder
    I'm sorry but every post of yours is the same, I'm getting bored of it.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited August 2011
    At least the mighty yeeha is funny. However, you're really not and you're a massively hypercritical Orange fanboi.
  • dubmodder
    And you ride a bike from Halfords :lol:

You also have a large piece of yeehaas feces on your nose
  • getonyourbike
    yep, that's a really mature way to reply. I'm laughing at you because you bought an orange FFS, who can't spec a bike properly as they use shite Hope brakes, cr@p mavic rims, cheapy own brand cr@p and are even stupid enough to put a steel, freehub damaging cassette on Hope hubs. They also made a pretty hefty profit out of you.
  • Anonymous
    dubmodder, so now you're not only making a fool of yourself when it comes to claims of supension awesomeness, you're insulting other people's bikes.
    Classy, oh so very classy.

Why do people who's opinions differ from yours rile you so much?
  • getonyourbike
    edited August 2011
    dubmodder wrote:

*faeces

That's completely untrue for the record
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dubmodder wrote:

Mmm personal insults.

that is a banable offense.

do you want to stay here?

Or shall I remove you?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • getonyourbike
    nicklouse wrote:
    dubmodder wrote:

Mmm personal insults.

that is a banable offense.

do you want to stay here?

Or shall I remove you?
    I do love it when nick wields the banstick :twisted:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dubmodder wrote:

I ride one of those as well, sometimes. It's great! And much better than an Orange Five at being a 22lb rigid XC bike :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    Quietness descends...

*shhh*
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Geometry is a personal thing, I prefer steeper angles, some prefer slacker. One thing for sure though, there is no 'magic' numbers where it all works for all riders. A frame having 'good' geo shouldn't cost more than one that doesn't (all else being equal).

Interestingly Orange knocked 1.5 deg off the HA a couple of years ago. I prefer the steeper version for all round riding.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    dubmodder

I would hope that your Five would beat a heckler downhill. The Heckler is an unashamedly XC biased bike. The thing I found surprising about the Orange is that while competent, it's not great downhill.

I'm standing by my comment on the remedy. Maybe you rode an older one. They've improved alot year on year. As for your EX, if it was a pre 08/9 model then that rules it out of contention, or if it was a 5 or 6, that's no contest either.

I liked the bike overall, I wish by blur climbed that well, but overall it left me looking for some 'magic'. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a hassle free long travel XC bike, but I'd definitely also look elsewhere if you want something all mountain. Looking elsewhere would get you a much better performing suspension set up for full tilt riding.

I ran the shock at around 1/3 sag. Can't remember what rebound, but I did fiddle with it to get it as good as I could.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Im suprised that you found the x2s were that bad. Were the pads bedded in etc? Whilst there are more powerful brakes out there, I find that with a 183/160 rotor setup I can easily lock the rear wheel up or do an endo.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    benpinnick
    Good review and very intersting. I'm very surprised that it climbed as well as it did, i was also shocked to read that it didnt decend as well as you would expect.
    In my mind (never ridden one properly) i imagined it to bob up and down all through the climb and be a bullet downhill. Well you live and learn.

Still looks like a skip though.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • benpinnick
    leaflite wrote:
    Im suprised that you found the x2s were that bad. Were the pads bedded in etc? Whilst there are more powerful brakes out there, I find that with a 183/160 rotor setup I can easily lock the rear wheel up or do an endo.

I guess they were about half way through the pad life - I did look at that. The whole set up was to flexy for my liking, and the brake performance was sub-standard. Yes it could stop you, but the input required for the output you got was very poor. It felt like I was having to crush the lever to get any real power out of them. You should try something like the new XT785s. Then I think you'll see what I mean.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    benpinnick
    Good review and very intersting. I'm very surprised that it climbed as well as it did, i was also shocked to read that it didnt decend as well as you would expect.
    In my mind (never ridden one properly) i imagined it to bob up and down all through the climb and be a bullet downhill. Well you live and learn.

Still looks like a skip though.

It really was almost opposite of what I expected too. Like I said, I think a different shock would yield real benefits, but ultimately at what cost? Also, on the subject of shocks I think the new reversed PP on the RP23 wont have any benefit for the Five owners over the old one. You needed to run either Full PP or nothing at all. This also means that the right tune on an RP2 will be just as good as an RP23 IMHO, which means saving that £100 and putting it towards a custom tune is a clear winner to me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Oh, and one other thing I learnt. Those Maxxis Advantage tyres - They are quite awesome. Merlin have a silly offer on them right now, so if you're in the market for some fast rolling high volume tyres, I couldn't recommend them more highly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • getonyourbike
    I've got some advantages are they're awesome for general use. I was using them front and rear until I needed a more aggressive tread pattern for my race. The 2.35 Minion DHF was smaller than my Advantage 2.25 which annoyed me though
  • If you can't hustle a 5 down Whites at warp speed then you should probably go on a skills course. People DH on them all the time, you can't move at Cwmcarn or Morzine for 5s.
  • benpinnick
    If you can't hustle a 5 down Whites at warp speed then you should probably go on a skills course. People DH on them all the time, you can't move at Cwmcarn or Morzine for 5s.

Maybe you should go on a read-what-I-actually-said course. Didn't say I couldn't, didn't say I didn't. All I said was that there are many great trail bikes for that particular task and that the Five probably isn't one of the best when armed with the stock RP23.

The fact that theres a lot of them at Cwmcarn and Morzine says only that theres a lot of them about and people are using them for all kinds of things. Nothing wrong with that.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dubmodder
    I would hope that your Five would beat a heckler downhill. The Heckler is an unashamedly XC biased bike. The thing I found surprising about the Orange is that while competent, it's not great downhill.

It is if its built up to be XC orientated, his one isn't though.

I'm standing by my comment on the remedy. Maybe you rode an older one. They've improved alot year on year. As for your EX, if it was a pre 08/9 model then that rules it out of contention, or if it was a 5 or 6, that's no contest either.

I owned a 2010 EX9 and demoed a 2011 Remedy 9. The Remedy felt like a slightly shorter, longer traveled EX. The reason I sold the EX is because it was so poor DH.
    I ran the shock at around 1/3 sag. Can't remember what rebound, but I did fiddle with it to get it as good as I could.

I'm surprised it climbed so well with 1/3 sag, I found it blows through travel easily set up like that. 1/4 however is a different story, much more support in the mid stroke, and no need to use the pro pedal unless on steep smooth climbs. Same thing goes when pointing downwards.
    If you can't hustle a 5 down Whites at warp speed then you should probably go on a skills course. People DH on them all the time, you can't move at Cwmcarn or Morzine for 5s.

I know more than a few people that DH on Fives. My riding buddy came 2rd in the Hamsterly 1-2-1 last year on his (1 day xc, 1 day DH on the same bike) The rest of the categories were also dominated by Fives. They are also immensely popular on southerndownhill.com

Its a shame you didn't get any photos...
  • benpinnick
    dubmodder

Just because your friend is using his heckler for something other than it was designed for, still wouldn't make it a DH bike. I think everyone is making a big deal of my fairly small criticism of the Orange Five, which is maybe why people have a Marmite view on it. All I said was that IMHO the RP23 isn't good enough to make the Orange a DH friendly bike. If you want to ride it down the hills, I would definitely look to swap the shock to something more DH orientated. Again, not saying you can't ride it downhill, just saying you would be better off considering either a better descending bike, or the shock option you take on the Orange.

Ultimately the one main thing I did learn is that the Orange Five is a pretty good bike all round.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Good point actually Ben - stick a CCDB on the back of a 5 and it really comes to life (if you can live with the weight on the way up!)
  • benpinnick
    Good point actually Ben - stick a CCDB on the back of a 5 and it really comes to life (if you can live with the weight on the way up!)

I'm pretty certain that a custom valving and tune on a stock RL shock would go a long way too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Its hard to hustledown on whites i find. As i find Whites decents to be totally limp compare to even any other trail center i've ridden, and definately week compared to alot of the natural trails in this area. So i challenge that you can test a bike at DH pace on this trail as i don't believe people reach pace on it And have ridden with a few different people there and not seen them reach any real pace on it.

I tested my bike up there on the Final Skyline/July decents for all outs blitzing.

But back to your reveiw, you found some of the things i did, When standing and powering hard i found that the whole thing stiffened up greatly making a poor choice in DH weapon unless you get a coil on it, which does help and have ridden a coiled up 5 before.
    I would actually agree with alot of your reveiw on the bike to be honest, and since i care so very little about the climb of a bike compared to its decent skill you can see why i dislike the bike soooo much :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Interesting people think it needs pro pedal, or more propedal - theoretically a bike like this has much more anti squat than say the Trek. But the proof is in the riding of course.