Tyler sinks the Lance

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Monty Dog wrote:
    C'mon, we all know all the 'players' doped, but it was the degree to which the whole edifice was tilted in their favour through corrupt doctors and governing authorities that galls and that so many succumbed to the myth and shouted-down anyone who dare not be a 'believer'. There is no statute of limitations on fraud, money-laundering and drug-peddling and people will want payback for all the spurious litigation that was launched on the back on honest donations. I'll be so pleased when the whole sham is torn-down and the likes of Lemond and Betsy Andreu can be vindicated for being the few that were prepared to speak out.

+1
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Basically, until we see those pictures of a motorcycle WITH PANNIERS that JV and Frankie talked about in their IM session, we have nothing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:
    Basically, until we see those pictures of a motorcycle WITH PANNIERS that JV and Frankie talked about in their IM session, we have nothing.

Floyd has them.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Floyd has them.

I know. I know he's said all those things and stuff, but it's all about a picture.
  • disgruntledgoat
    If Landis has deleted them, I want him charged with destroying evidence just purely for not satisfying my curiosity, by the way.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Is there anyone here who still believes Armstrong didn't use performance enhancing drugs to help win the Tour 7 times?

I believe he did use drugs, but that's the way the world was then. It's ridiculous applying modern morals and views to practices that occured 10 years ago FFS. Cycling needs to move on and live in the now.

Well if the evidence in 60 mns proves true, there is no way the Hog should have a job in cycling.

And how about Hamilton? He obviously doped whilst at CSC and Phonak. What did Riis and Rihs know?

BMC's handling of Ballan this year compared to 2010 is interesting.

You just can't say move on blah blah blah. There are too many people in cycling now that were influential 10 years ago.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Is there anyone here who still believes Armstrong didn't use performance enhancing drugs to help win the Tour 7 times?

I believe he did use drugs, but that's the way the world was then. It's ridiculous applying modern morals and views to practices that occured 10 years ago FFS. Cycling needs to move on and live in the now.

*cough* Festina *splutter* TVM *cough*
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I wonder if he'll ever call the friendly TV host and go for the big tearful confession, 'Nasty Europeans led me astray, I had no dad, cancer ruined me, big kids did it' or whether he'll just deny until the end of his days. I suspect the latter, that for down the path you just can't turn back, no matter what evidence is thrown at you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dougzz wrote:
    I wonder if he'll ever call the friendly TV host and go for the big tearful confession, 'Nasty Europeans led me astray, I had no dad, cancer ruined me, big kids did it' or whether he'll just deny until the end of his days. I suspect the latter, that for down the path you just can't turn back, no matter what evidence is thrown at you.

That's one of the interesting things for me.

Lance comes across as particularly 1 dimensional when it comes to resolving issues in his life.

Get given an awful illness - Fight it, battle it, never give up.

The same goes for his cycling - want to win the Tour? Fight the others, battle the others, beat the others.

Finding motivation a problem? Find an enemy, make an enemy, fight him.
    People accusing you of cheating? Attack them, discredit them.

What other responses does he have?

It's been a very successful policy, but I think this is where that approach falls very short of what is required to come out of this ok.
  • disgruntledgoat
    dougzz wrote:

This "1 dimensional" thing interests me as well, in that it can't be healthy especially not when the expected fall does come.

As flippant and jovially as I've treated this whole thing, and I admit to a certain schadenfreude about it (largely due to former clubmates and their lance worship) I would hate for the sport to have another Pantani on it's concscience.

@gietvangent
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    dougzz wrote:

That's one of the interesting things for me.

Lance comes across as particularly 1 dimensional when it comes to resolving issues in his life.

Get given an awful illness - Fight it, battle it, never give up.

The same goes for his cycling - want to win the Tour? Fight the others, battle the others, beat the others.

Finding motivation a problem? Find an enemy, make an enemy, fight him.
    People accusing you of cheating? Attack them, discredit them.

What other responses does he have?

It's been a very successful policy, but I think this is where that approach falls very short of what is required to come out of this ok.
    That's what I pcked up from his books TBH. It's him (and his mum) against the world, either with him or against him and no in between. If only he could find some forgiveness for his dad, his step dad and 'fess up the world will love him again.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I feel sorry for his kids. I would hate to go through life knowing my kids knew I was a liar, cheat, doper, fraud etc..

He doesn't need forgivingness, he needs a slap..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Doobz wrote:
    I feel sorry for his kids. I would hate to go through life knowing my kids knew I was a liar, cheat, doper, fraud etc..

He doesn't need forgivingness, he needs a slap..

How do we know what his kids know? Some kids are are very direct in their questioning.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    Lance armstrong makes me ill. I hope he "goes to prison and becomes someone's b*tch."
    Quoting Cavy.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Press release from the UCI

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... ?id=NzM1NA
    Press release - UCI rejects allegations made by Tyler Hamilton

The International Cycling Union categorically rejects the allegations made by Mr Tyler Hamilton, who claims that Lance Armstrong tested positive for EPO during the 2001 Tour of Switzerland and had the results covered up after one of his representatives approached the Lausanne laboratory responsible for analysing test results from the event.

The UCI is deeply shocked by the seriousness of the allegations made on the “60 Minutes” programme aired by US television network CBS, and by the extent of the media interest in the case, and wishes to state once again that it has never altered or hidden the results of a positive test.

The allegations of Mr Tyler Hamilton are completely unfounded. The UCI can only express its indignation at this latest attempt to damage the image of cycling by a cyclist who has not hesitated to abuse the trust of all followers of cycling on several occasions in the past. At no time did he see fit to inform the UCI of the events he claims to have witnessed ten years ago, and which he is now using in his attempt to harm the UCI.

The UCI can only confirm that Lance Armstrong has never been notified of a positive test result by any anti-doping laboratory.

Aside from the fact that no legal action may now be taken in respect of events that occurred in 2001, the UCI also wishes to point out that in doping cases it must abide by the rules of evidence; any statutory or scientific evaluation must necessarily be made on the basis of the rules, knowledge and detection methods available at the time.

Once again, the UCI wishes to state that no manipulation or cover-up has occurred in respect of its anti-doping procedures. The UCI will continue to defend its honour and credibility by all means available, and reserves the right to take any measures it deems necessary against Mr Hamilton or any other person.

The UCI confidently awaits the results of the inquiry being conducted by the US justice system. It hopes that the investigations may be concluded swiftly and the truth ascertained, so that the sport of cycling may be spared further unnecessary damage.

UCI Press Office
    cartoon.jpg
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    Dream prison cellmates...George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Lance Armstrong, and Mark Cavendish.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,585
    The UCI press realease reads a bit like an LA press release i.e. poorly written waffle that focuses on the credibility of the witness rather than the evidence.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Yes beause political friends are a loyal and steadfast bunch when they can see a scandal coming.... hmmm He'll be dropped and people will distance themselves like there is no tomorrow if half of what is reported is true. Political friends will be the worst thing he could have as they publically line up to cover their own arses and charitable causes by twisting the knives and demanding an example is made of him given his high profile use of cancer as a denial tool and the fact they allowed themselves to be duped so completely.

I agree on waiting to see what actually comes out but I fear you're clutching at straws with the rest of it.
    I am interested in the outcome and hope something is proved against him.
    It's a distance hope but still a hope.

It seemed to a few of us that his comeback a couple of years ago was to bring him back into the limelight and the reason for this was a road into politics.

As you say his political friends will have changed their minds now.
    So some good may have happened already.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • sparky24
    sparky24 Posts: 195
    tyler and floyd can not provide any concrete evidence to back up what they are saying against lance . they got caught doing some naughtiness , he has not . thats a fact . why can,t they just carry on with their new lifes. noone likes a tale tale :cry:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    sparky24 wrote:
    why can,t they just carry on with their new lifes. noone likes a tale tale :cry:

Because they got subpoened by a Federal Grand Jury.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    UCI = Very Predictable Reply eh ........Well Pat & Mr Verbruggen you two better get your story correct when big Jeff comes looking for you both.
  • sparky24
    yes i understand that , but i would not say , looking at their past history, that these 2 are what you call "creditable witness"
  • sparky24
    yes i understand that , but i would not say , looking at their past history, that these 2 are what you call "credible witness".
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    sparky24 wrote:
    tyler and floyd can not provide any concrete evidence to back up what they are saying against lance . they got caught doing some naughtiness , he has not . thats a fact . why can,t they just carry on with their new lifes. noone likes a tale tale :cry:

Dont let the facts get in the way of your tinted specs your wearing there 8)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    "The UCI is deeply shocked by the seriousness of the allegations made on the “60 Minutes” programme aired by US television network CBS, and by the extent of the media interest in the case, and wishes to state once again that it has never altered or hidden the results of a positive test. "

Since they didn't deal with Bertie's +ive in a timely manner what is that other than hiding a +ive?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    sparky24 wrote:
    yes i understand that , but i would not say , looking at their past history, that these 2 are what you call "credible witness".

So they risked a prison sentence in order to lie about it did they? Why would they do that?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    sparky24 wrote:

Indeed. But then you have to talk to all sorts of different people in investigations. If it goes to court they'll even need to talk to the serial liar like Armstrong - Maybe this time he won't lie under oath.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I can see the point people make about landis and hamilton, they have lied for years, ergo: they are compulsive liars, so they must also be lying now.

However I also believe that Lance and his 'team' have been lying for years.

I believe Landis, Swart, Andreu etc. Landis and Hamilton now have more to lose by lying than belatedly telling the truth.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795

he was riding the tour in 2010!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • he was riding the tour in 2010!

Yes, and I am willing to believe he was riding it clean (at least, Bill Strickland thought he was in 2009).

It doesn't necessarily follow that he was or wasn't clean in 1999-2005 though.

Andy