Tyler sinks the Lance

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Why do you think the Tour of Cal has grown so big ? Big tex was saying a while ago that it rivalled the Giro as a stage race(which is plainly ridiculous as the Giro has an illustrios history which he wants to sweep away - what a guy). See - he's even talking up his own races...............................the guy wnats castrating before he controls ALL of cycling - then it really will be in trouble.

You'll appreciate this comment about Le Tour:-

"The "tour" was a non-event until American TV and resources were committed to it via Lance's successes."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8618-504803_162- ... d=10391709

Clearly for many US punters, Armstrong's success is what put the TdeF on their radar, but the comment reads as rather more than that, and I expect that view is fairly widespread.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    rdt wrote:
    [You'll appreciate this comment about Le Tour:-

"The "tour" was a non-event until American TV and resources were committed to it via Lance's successes."

To be fair, you could equally replace "American" with "British" and "Lance" with "Cav", "Wiggo" (or even leave "Lance" in place) and the statement would remain a reasonably true reflection of domestic market interest being triggered by a national success.

In any case, not sure we should be reading too much into a readers comment on another website.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    rdt wrote:
    You'll appreciate this comment about Le Tour:-

I think the Tour has got a bigger, but nearly every sport has over the last 15 years. More money in everything.
    exercise.png
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I guess that is a joke about the tour being a non event pre Armstrong.

The Tour that had been going over 100 years...

Maybe its me, I can't always tell if people are really serious in some posts...
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I guess that is a joke about the tour being a non event pre Armstrong.

The Tour that had been going over 100 years...

Maybe its me, I can't always tell if people are really serious in some posts...

Americans eh?
    cartoon.jpg
  • sparky24
    sparky24 Posts: 195
    the reason i never gave names was due to all of us knowing right from wrong , i choose to take a helping hand , i had a drug test and failed no one else . got a LIFE ban. but i new it was always a 50-50 chance that it would happen. also if you new what sort of people who supply us with this crap , you would not name names, it,s a buisness that envolves lots of $$$,s and a ban and carrying on with day to day life is fine with me , as the outcome would be a lot worse. tyler and floyd made their choice ,but decided to name names ,and thats why it,s getting all legal.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Wow we Never seen that coming eh shock horror both deny anything untoward

And father christmas is real as well
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Quote:
    Ekimov denied that Armstrong had ever done what Hamilton said. “Maybe it’s his sick sense of humour,” he told the Associated Press. “Because I’ve been on the same team as him.”

And precisely how can Eki know that Lance didn't do it ?
    If he saw him doing it, that would obviously prove he did it. But simply because he didn't see him doing it cannot be any sort of proff he didn't do it - not a difficult concept surely ? :?

Quote:
    It would be Ekimov's third gold medal. He won gold in track team pursuit in 1988 for the Soviet Union and gold in 2000 in the time trial.

So that'll be 3 clean gold for Eki then ? :lol:
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    There was a teaser on the front page of the Washington Post leading to this article on the front page of the sports section
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/cy ... story.html
    Sucks that this is what it takes for the WaPo to have a cycling story instead of the usual 2 lines on a Monday about the weekends racing.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-says-armstrong-never-never-never-doped

""That's impossible, because there is nothing. I repeat again: Lance Armstrong has never used doping. Never, never, never. And I say this not because I am a friend of his, because that is not true. I say it because I'm sure."

How can he possibly know that about anyone!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gazzetta67
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-says-armstrong-never-never-never-doped

""That's impossible, because there is nothing. I repeat again: Lance Armstrong has never used doping. Never, never, never. And I say this not because I am a friend of his, because that is not true. I say it because I'm sure."

How can he possibly know that about anyone!

So he`s been an observer at EVERYONE of armstrong`s doping tests ? - Why would he take an interest in his - suppose it`s nothing to do with the big cheque that the UCI got to help buy the new machine to detect cheats.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Why do Pat and Hein insist on making inappropriate comments at every opportunity?

Like you say, how can he possibly say that about anyone other than himself?! They are an absolute shambolic organisation. I really hope something major comes out of this that will shake up the UCI once and for all.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I thing Verbruggen knows Fat Pat is going to try to throw him under the bus for the 2001 episode.

Funny how Hein denied being a friend of LA:
    "And I say this not because I am a friend of his, because that is not true"

I dont think there are enough points on the compass for all the parties to distance themselves sufficiently from each other.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Quote:
    Ekimov denied that Armstrong had ever done what Hamilton said. “Maybe it’s his sick sense of humour,” he told the Associated Press. “Because I’ve been on the same team as him.”

And precisely how can Eki know that Lance didn't do it ?
    If he saw him doing it, that would obviously prove he did it. But simply because he didn't see him doing it cannot be any sort of proff he didn't do it - not a difficult concept surely ? :?

And from the same article:
    Ekimov, 45, further noted that he had little contact with Hamilton when they were both with the US Postal team.

“He was there when I was there for maybe two years but we raced in few races together, because he was a like a Grand Tour guy and a stage-race guy and I was doing all the classics,” Ekimov said. “I was never there with him. Maybe twice at the Tour de France, but that was it.”

One would assume that Lance would also fall under the 'stage-race guy' category..
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    "He was there when I was there for maybe two years but we raced in few races together, because he was a like a Grand Tour guy"... says the man who completed the Tour de France 15 times.

You can't make this stuff up.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    So, will Eki give his side of the story to the investigation?

I wonder how many others will defend lance?

On a side note, how come eki reckons its Hamilton's sick sense of humor, but then says they never really spent time together!?

The reaction from the UCI is just plain embarrassing.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Unless Ekimov can convincingly recall being with Armstrong at the precise moment(s) he is accused of doping, his testimony is worthless.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I suppose so, but I get the feeling that Hamilton and Landis are building the picture of some kind of institutionalized doping within postal. The testimony of someone who has been within a bruyneel team for years is possibly valuable...

Of course, it could be argued that the testimony of a cyclist who grew up in eastern europe during the dark days is of limited use when it comes to proving cleanliness...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Jez mon wrote:
    I suppose so, but I get the feeling that Hamilton and Landis are building the picture of some kind of institutionalized doping within postal. The testimony of someone who has been within a bruyneel team for years is possibly valuable...

Of course, it could be argued that the testimony of a cyclist who grew up in eastern europe during the dark days is of limited use when it comes to proving cleanliness...

You also have to bear in mind who Eki's current employers are.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Can't face trawling through 20 pages to check, but in case they're not already posted here are links to the show.

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTTGGnw8ak
    part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZnBpoC2jc
    part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZeh4KEz9s
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    iainf72 wrote:

+1

very interesting angle
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Another confession coming up soon according to a few sources....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:

You can't make this stuff up.
    So much stuff hitting the fan from various directions that they soon won't know where they are as they cringe and wiggle through the mire.

Now check the walls in case the roof falls in.

I'm glad he retired as the entertainment has improved. :lol::lol:

Question for UCI
    Then why did he need a post dated TUE. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    iainf72 wrote:

Ketchup please...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Unless Ekimov can convincingly recall being with Armstrong at the precise moment(s) he is accused of doping, his testimony is worthless.
    Could they call Ekimov to testify? It's a fed investigation and he's not a US citizen so would he be legally obliged to regardless of nationality, or by the fact he was a USPS rider? Eveyone else involved seems to be American.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ands wrote:
    Unless Ekimov can convincingly recall being with Armstrong at the precise moment(s) he is accused of doping, his testimony is worthless.
    Could they call Ekimov to testify? It's a fed investigation and he's not a US citizen so would he be legally obliged to regardless of nationality, or by the fact he was a USPS rider? Eveyone else involved seems to be American.

Who knows? He's currently an employee of a US company - maybe that makes a difference. Popovych testified, I think?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm running out of wool.
  • Gazzetta67
    iainf72 wrote:

Source Iain ???