Tyler sinks the Lance

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if LAF and Liverstrong go that won't be a great loss. The oage that was linked is a load of old rubbish. They are there to promote the fight against cancer that is where the 81% go. They don't fund any research into cancer at all so for all the money this raises it isn't reallt put to the best use.

I'm sure a lot only give money because of LA but to be honest they are better off not given any to any charity and keeping it themselves
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Guilty or innocent, it's loking increasingly gloomy for Armstrong's reputation. I really want him to be innocent of any doping, if only because I want to watch a clean sport one day, but if he's a drugs cheat, I want it out in the open as soon as possible so we can move on.

Lance is always quoted as saying "Hundreds of tests, never a positive" or similar, but has he ever actually said, "I have never taken a banned substance"?

He used to say that quite a lot, but it hasn't been reported as doing so for the last couple of incidents.

It could be he's fighting a rearguard action and sticking to saying things that are, if not actually true, harder to disprove in front of a jury (you can google Lance Armstrong cortizone test for clarification here)

Strava is not Zen.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    edited May 2011
    knedlicky wrote:
    Why does giving to charity require a figurehead?
    Maybe not In the UK, but I could be wrong but have always considered the LAF American. Hence their need of a figurehead, it's not as if he got behind a charity, he did kick it off.

Where do you get the idea that US charities need figureheads? US charitable giving is much, much higher than in the UK, partly of course due to the tax system meaning that some things are charity provided which aren't elsewhere, but even without that and without massive donations like Gates / Buffett etc. I still believe US donations are higher per person.

And of the US donations to charities involved with cancer LAF is a tiny player, so I just don't see how it would be at all relevant. The only people likely to lose are the owners of Demand Media (the owners of Livestrong.com) and the employees of the foundation.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Amazed that Big George is now being linked to this. He's still my favourite Pro rider, regardless of what he's used, and that will never change.

I think anyone who has been successful from the time of Paul Kimmage riding onwards is guilty. Natural riders just can't compete and we all know that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Amazed that Big George is now being linked to this. He's still my favourite Pro rider, regardless of what he's used, and that will never change.

I also like George - But when he won a mountain stage in the Tour that was approaching the pinnacle of ridiculousness.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    sherer wrote:
    if LAF and Liverstrong go that won't be a great loss. The oage that was linked is a load of old rubbish. They are there to promote the fight against cancer that is where the 81% go. They don't fund any research into cancer at all so for all the money this raises it isn't reallt put to the best use.

On that basis, the Macmillan nurses are just a waste of time & money too?

Dealing with cancer isn't all about research.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

I also like George - But when he won a mountain stage in the Tour that was approaching the pinnacle of ridiculousness.

So would you say the same about Hausslers win?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:

I also like George and anyone that rides with guts.
    The joy he brought here, when he won Wevelgem and the hope he could do more.

BUT

No Comment lets him down IMO.
    If he knows the opposite to Tyler then with a clear conscience he would say so.
    So he would like to agree with Tyler but the shackles are still on him it seems.
    Maybe one day he will talk or write a book because he is about the longest serving member of that set up. (apart from the Fraud and the Hog)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

I was going to mention that myself - you're absolutely right of course.
  • TMR
    deejay wrote:
    No Comment lets him down IMO.
    If he knows the opposite to Tyler then with a clear conscience he would say so.
    So he would like to agree with Tyler but the shackles are still on him it seems.
    Maybe one day he will talk or write a book because he is about the longest serving member of that set up. (apart from the Fraud and the Hog)

I think you need to look at it from his perspective. He has a wife, two kids and a thriving business. He has an image as the most liked rider in the Pro peleton, and he has sponsorship deals coming out of his ears.

He has responsibilities.

He needs to navigate a path that does the least damage to his family and interests. I suspect that's a lot harder than one might think.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    He needs to navigate a path that does the least damage to his family and interests. I suspect that's a lot harder than one might think.

Staying out of jail is probably his number one priority right now
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I hope lance is innocent, I couldn't bear to see him edited out of Dodgeball. :cry:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    LangerDan wrote:
    sherer wrote:

On that basis, the Macmillan nurses are just a waste of time & money too?

Dealing with cancer isn't all about research.

No because they are helping treat and care for cancer patients.

All livestrong and LAF do is promote the fight and publice cancer awareness. They don't offer any help in the treatment, diagnosise or prevention of cancer
  • TMR

I don't think that's likely. If he has testified, immunity from prosecution would be a prerequisite for any appearance in Court.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    What an absolute mess it is.

The sad thing is its turned me in to a bit of a cynic.

I think to myself when watching the racing "Is this guy riding out of his skin because he has trained hard and feels good today or because he has received something"
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I hope lance is innocent, I couldn't bear to see him edited out of Dodgeball. :cry:
    5700293539.gif
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    We in the UK have a Charities Commision that oversees them.

The USA have one also and the Foundation Money handed over so far will be safe but the future could mean a merger with another.
    "IF" he gets nailed.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Don't worry. I saw Naked Gun again the other day. OJ Simpson's still in it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cajun_cyclist
    cajun_cyclist Posts: 493
    Research per LAF:

I think someone is just trying to get me to respond because this has been addressed before, Livestrong does fund some research,
    LAF provides grants for cancer survivorship research; grants to community organizations; delivery of cancer survivorship education and support services; and grants to survivorship centers at academic medical institutions.

- Financial Statements audited by Better Business Bureau (BBB)

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/nati ... in-tx-3996

I believe if things are going to come down on Lance Armstrong and at this point, it looks like he's going to fight according to one commentator to a cycling forum, LA should say something like "okay, look everyone has been doing it," he should then give back all of his yellow jerseys and who knows, in the long run after an initial hit, if fighting cancer is really his concern, his charity could surely go on.

The downside of this, is perhaps he'd be open to legal suits, misrepresentation and the like.
  • cajun_cyclist
    Maybe delay the Livestrong tattoo plans for 6 months or so. http://geofflivingston.com/2010/03/08/t ... -research/
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Guilty or innocent, it's loking increasingly gloomy for Armstrong's reputation. I really want him to be innocent of any doping, if only because I want to watch a clean sport one day, but if he's a drugs cheat, I want it out in the open as soon as possible so we can move on.

Lance is always quoted as saying "Hundreds of tests, never a positive" or similar, but has he ever actually said, "I have never taken a banned substance"?

I thought Lance had failed a test, for something beginning with "c" - cortisone (sp) or summat? Obviously he got a retrospective TUE.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited May 2011
    Research per LAF:

I think someone is just trying to get me to respond because this has been addressed before, Livestrong does fund some research

Are you familiar with how the separation of not-for-proft Livestrong.ORG and for-profit Livestrong.COM operate?

As described to in this thread:-
    http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2774

and covered in this article here:-
    http://journals.lww.com/oncology-times/ ... ame.7.aspx

Interesting stuff.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Maybe not In the UK, but I could be wrong but have always considered the LAF American. Hence their need of a figurehead, it's not as if he got behind a charity, he did kick it off.

There were cancer charities in America before him, there will be cancer charities in America after him.

Some of them might even be better off when he's gone... There's only so much money to go round in the charity world.

Do you really think it's a zero sum game? I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say it wasn't - people are fickle - and Stanway has a reasonable point. Not that I think that should shield him from justice.

No, I'm not saying it's a zero sum game, Livestrong may well have increased the total charity money available, but in my experience people tend to choose one or two charities to donate to: "yeah, I support you, but I already give to X". Major donations from companies and the individually wealthy also tend to fall within a budget - sometimes strangely matched to any tax break incentives....

So no, not zero sum, but charities are in financial competition with each other.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Interestingly, Hincapie denies talking to 60 minutes, but does not confirm or deny that he has given evidence on Lance.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Snorebens wrote:

{MERCIER NOT CREDIBLE}

JV has testified to the Grand Jury, hasn't he?
    Rumours suggest that beans were spilt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

I don't think that's likely. If he has testified, immunity from prosecution would be a prerequisite for any appearance in Court.

That's sort of what I meant
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cajun_cyclist
    I always thought Tyler followed Lance's lead and Tyler had I believe an MS charity. Charity rides too.

Of course, I've heard people questioned this charity as well but what I saw was just hearsay, For example, "I donated X amount and never even got a thank you".

But now that I thought about what one poster said and that is that LA should, 'if' guilty, throw himself on the mercy of the court of public opinion, those yellow bands and all the yellow are so tied up into Livestrong. It made me wonder all this time about Nike selling all of these Livestrong items, shirts etc. It's a bit of a risk, also it seems to be a risk for that stadium in Kansas City to be called the Livestrong Sports Centre. The stadium for Kansas City FCKC Deportivo.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I've finished the rib now and on to the 16 row pattern. I don't normally do this, but....

Gonnae talk now JV? You've got to, you know you have to, just open your eloquent mouth and start talking to a journalist. You'll find hordes of them with their microphones switched on the minute you step out the door.
    Or twitter.
    Anything. Just tell us the truth.

Rant over.

Placing front 4 stitches on cable needle