How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• 38 yr old here just getting back into it after far too many years away from any real exercise. Got a 4 day euro event in February that I need to get in shape for!
  • Hi all
    I've been a long term lurker on this forum so it's about time I introduced myself.
    I'm 69 years old and until last year I hadn't cycled since school days - so that's a looong time. However last year after a holiday, which was mostly spent in shorts and T-shirts, I looked at the holiday photos and realised I needed to lose weight - and then some! 92Kg by our bathroom scales was way over what I'd hoped.

My son's bike was still in the garage and so started going out on that. After a decade or so of inactivity I was not too surprised to struggle but it was awful! The bike, by the way, was a £100 MTB job from a well known retailer, it had a twist gear shift and was pretty heavy. October came around and I had lost around 7 KG but also came the rains and I decided that I was a fair weather cyclist and the bike went back in the garage.

Early this year, while visiting a nephew he showed me his bike which was a real eye opener because it weighed in at around 6Kg but also cost him around £5000. I went home and measured the old bike in the garage - about 17Kg was not quite in the same league. For some reason or other which I cannot quite remember I re-started cycling in July this year. It may have had something to do with a 6 week camping trip to the north of Scotland where we saw, and met, a lot of cyclists but whatever the reason I came back re-motivated.

I was lucky enough to have a win at the poker tables and so started looking at other bikes. I couldn't justify spending a lot of money and also couldn't decide between a bike with flat bars or drops. I ended up buying a Giant Escape 2 hybrid after a lot of agonising and a very nice machine it is too.

So basically my cycling started in August this year on the Giant. Initially it was 6 to 10 miles three days a week, then an increase to around 15 miles on a longer ride but I still had to have a days rest between rides. It has taken a while to build the mileage up but I'm getting there although I still find hills a killer.
    Now this last Saturday I did my longest ride so far - 45 miles to take the weeks total to 100 miles over 4 days (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). I'm down to 80Kg but need to lose another 5 before I'll be happy.
  • Cryki
    Cryki Posts: 19
    27 and loving it!!
  • Esiotrot wrote:
    Hi all
    I've been a long term lurker on this forum so it's about time I introduced myself.
    I'm 69 years old and until last year I hadn't cycled since school days - so that's a looong time. However last year after a holiday, which was mostly spent in shorts and T-shirts, I looked at the holiday photos and realised I needed to lose weight - and then some! 92Kg by our bathroom scales was way over what I'd hoped.

My son's bike was still in the garage and so started going out on that. After a decade or so of inactivity I was not too surprised to struggle but it was awful! The bike, by the way, was a £100 MTB job from a well known retailer, it had a twist gear shift and was pretty heavy. October came around and I had lost around 7 KG but also came the rains and I decided that I was a fair weather cyclist and the bike went back in the garage.

Early this year, while visiting a nephew he showed me his bike which was a real eye opener because it weighed in at around 6Kg but also cost him around £5000. I went home and measured the old bike in the garage - about 17Kg was not quite in the same league. For some reason or other which I cannot quite remember I re-started cycling in July this year. It may have had something to do with a 6 week camping trip to the north of Scotland where we saw, and met, a lot of cyclists but whatever the reason I came back re-motivated.

I was lucky enough to have a win at the poker tables and so started looking at other bikes. I couldn't justify spending a lot of money and also couldn't decide between a bike with flat bars or drops. I ended up buying a Giant Escape 2 hybrid after a lot of agonising and a very nice machine it is too.

So basically my cycling started in August this year on the Giant. Initially it was 6 to 10 miles three days a week, then an increase to around 15 miles on a longer ride but I still had to have a days rest between rides. It has taken a while to build the mileage up but I'm getting there although I still find hills a killer.
    Now this last Saturday I did my longest ride so far - 45 miles to take the weeks total to 100 miles over 4 days (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). I'm down to 80Kg but need to lose another 5 before I'll be happy.
    Great inspiration.
  • 60 in December
    Wanted to get rid of some weight (95 kilos) and with a mechanical heart valve for the last 10 years, my son got me on his first bike last June. He then built a Wilier Imperiale De Luxe with Campagnolo Veloce groupset that he had in the house and gave it to me and told me to get on my bike. I have lost 15 kilos up to now and feel a lot better for it, I try to do 40-50km 2 to 3 times a week around the Vale of Glamorgan, so I just got to keep it up for the winter!!
    Gareth
  • 25 years old

I started because i didnt see the point of driving to the gym to do cardio, so now i cycle to the gym to do more weight training although its only like 3 miles there and the same back the gradients are quite hard where i live and its a challenge to the day. I play rugby in my spare time and also sometimes do muay thai training. I started off with the very basic mountian bike from my local bike shop the thing weighed a tonn and the gears were terrible also it was too wee for me, so i upgraded to merida crossway and i love it. I make sure its spotless and make sure everything is in order. Also i am trying to introduce myself on to road riding and getting used to other drivers.
  • I'm 52, used to do a bit in my late teens but didn't carry on after 21. Now bought myself an old 3rd hand Trek 1000 and love riding it. The only downside is the majority of club runs and events are on a Sunday which is difficult for me as a church pastor!
  • I'm a 50 yr old Newbie who cycles up lots of steep inclines (because there's little else nr Leek) on a MTB. I don't go off road, hence the post here.
  • Started when i was 24 now 25, and done about 7 sportives so far, really enjoying it
  • Hi all

I'm 45 and looking for my first road bike. I have a few mates that are on the road and also ride XC. Currently have a Trek hybrid style, well, more of an ex HT MTB converted with road tyres that I ride on the road, paths for some fitness. Also have a Scott spark 30 and Anthem Advanced X SL0.

Come from MTB background, XC and AM, doing more XC racing these days.

Main reason is to improve my endurance, fitness and consistency on the MTB, also I love bikes, weather dirt or road and this adds another dimension for me. I spend at least 5-6 days on a bike. Commute when I can, hit the trainer at least 3-4 times per week, a couple of high intensity sessions and some easier spins in between (calorie burn). DO some big MTB rides XC with friends most weekends (3-4 hours). Struggle doing long endurance rides on the trainer, so road will be the go. I run once or twice a week when I can 5-10 km typical just to mix it up a bit.

I am 183cm, 80kg medium build, not sure proportions, so will be interesting to see what I end up with. Dont want anything too racey (ATM) more long rides, endurance, steady speed. But then again as they say - never say never, so I may end up with something faster later!

Looking at Giant Defy 2 Advanced, or maybe TCR as my top picks ATM. However also considering Madone, Roubaix, Oppy and looked at a few others. Probably only a couple of weeks off putting some money down.

That's about it!

Cheers

James
    2 legs + 2 wheels = bicycle ..... So spiders ride octacycles then?
    #Giant TCR Advanced 0 Ultegra Di2
    #Giant Anthem x Advanced SL 0 w XX1
    #Scott spark 30
    #Trek Mamba 29
  • Started properly at 50, though I had done a bit of recreational in my early 20s, went cycling in Massif Central then and Holland, and a little bit in Northumberland, but hadnt ridden much for years, basically since my last bike broke on the way home from work.

I did do a lot of running though, the main reason to take it back up was because I just kept getting injuries from running, so using bike riding for fitness, have done one sportif since riding though.

Have always owned a bike of some sort but not really thought of myself as a "cyclist". About 7 years ago started cycling to work regularly - ten miles each way on a mix of rural roads an tracks - as my girlfriend had a job in the opposite direction to me and we have just the one car between us. First on a mountain bike, the on the MBT with semi slick tyres then on a proper hybrid. Gave up doing it regularly since my GF got a job in the same office. When there's a car going from your home to your office anyway it's hard to motivate yourself to get on the bike. Lost all the fitness I'd built up and put on weight as a result. :(

Got dragged round the "fun" route of the Magnificat last summer by a fitter friend, also on a slick tyres MTB. Didn't call it fun during the last few climbs, but the buzz of riding in a group, and the sense of achievement at the finish got me wanting to get back into it. Recently purchased a Felt Z95, above mentioned fitter friend also getting a road bike, and we are planning more sportives this summer. :D
  • took up road riding after a 2 yr lay off now 53yrs old love going out and trying to burn off a few extra pounds :lol::lol:
  • Hello,

I started 2 years ago. I really enjoy endurance sport. (I did and still do a lot of running).
    Endurance is a quality that one can keep quite old.
  • 40 in march. Got my first road bike in 20 odd years 9 days ago. Been a mountain biker between then. The thought of joining a club, doing some sportives and trying my hand at some time trials and hill climbes as given me the enthusiasm that I've never had being a solo mountain biker.
  • im new to road cycling after mtb for 15 years thought its time for a change

main reason is ive found i spend more time on road than off now any way and on a mtb sportives are just a night mare

so new year new bike and some sportives on the way
    smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
  • 36, had a really crappy raleigh bike that was about 20 years old that i got last time i had the bug then tried losing some weight late last year with the promise i would start cycling again. hovered over ebay for about 2 months as i wasnt going to use the crap bike and managed to get a giant tcr1 for a pretty good price, now gone and got bont vapors arriving tomorrow and loads of other nerdy stuff.

definately got the bug now but really finding all the local clubs either pretentious as hell when trying to contact them or just being totally ignored when i have found local riders on facebook and sent them a nice message.

its a bit crap as i work sundays so cant join a lot of club runs and nobody wants to go out in the week so have been doing it alone apart from the fact the weather is sucking quite bad at the moment, incidentally im in datchet which is just next to windsor berkshire

toodles
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I have been into cycling since I was 12 or 13 when my dad got me a light mountain bike, low spec groupset, but it was amazing to me back then, 15 gears.

My dad got a Harry Hall when I was about 14 and it was a great/proper touring bike. Had 18 gears. He built me a bike just like the Harry Hall but smaller and again that was crazy light, like 18lbs I think and built on a shoestring, even the frame was free.

When I was about 24 I got a (yellow) Carrera MTB from Halfords (don't laugh) and it had hydraulic disc brakes. 24 gears. The brakes on that thing were tremendous.

Absolutely years went by without a bike. :cry:

At 35 (getting near to present day now lol) I was given a MTB that although 18 years old, was mechanically all working. My mate kept using it and eventually knackered it. It was probably only worth £60.

Then I got a Rockrider 5.2 MTB at 35/36.

Got a Triban 3 and thats the latest one.

I didn't include the black BMX I had before the first MTB.

Hell I remember my dad teaching me to ride a bike and him not holding the seat and me thinking he was. I must have been 8 or 9. A dark blue folding bike with white wheels. Always scared me how it folded even as a kid and they still do. :lol:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    gimli1001 wrote:
    im new to road cycling after mtb for 15 years thought its time for a change

main reason is ive found i spend more time on road than off now any way and on a mtb sportives are just a night mare

Sounds like me.

There's a logical order to it all...

1. Get an MTB to be all "hip"
    2. Ride on the road and on trails, realise the drivetrain needs cleaning after every trail ride
    3. Ride the MTB exclusively on the road
    4. Realise people with road bikes are going way faster
    5. Get a road bike
    6. Laugh at newbs on Argos MTB's / people on MTB's on the pavement at night without lights on

Darwin could have something to say about who ends up on a road bike. :lol:
  • BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    Aside from commuting/doing a paper round I started 'properly' riding aged 16, I'm 20 on Tuesday so had a good 4 years so far and still can't get enough of it :D
  • Im 45,obviously had a bike when I was a child..then did nothing for about the next 25 years,about 5yrs ago had stint of commuting using my daughter's MTB which damn near killed me,then spent the next couple year pottering about on some 2nd hand hybrids before buying my first road bike about 2 weeks ago..in the vain hope I can use it to get fit
  • Im 22 and looking to get into roading, heard a lot of positive things! Just the small matter of actually buying a bike to overcome..
  • Hi guys, I'm 30 years old. Not strictly a newbie as I've been cycling on a friends spare bike for the past two summers although it is a bit too big for me (59cm frame and weighs near as much as I did when I started out). However, it was enough to get me hooked and on Saturday past I visited Chain Reaction and treated myself to a Corratec Dolomiti 105 ltd edition from their website as the only one they had in store had just been sold. I've just got an email to say its been dispatched :)
    My reason for taking up cycling is basically why the hell not? I've tried it a few times and enjoyed it, and if it helps me get fitter and I lose a few pounds along the way then that's an added bonus!
    Hoping to complete the Lap of the Lough in Northern Ireland this year (I think its roughly 90 miles) so I'll no doubt be reading through the forum religiously for all the advice and tips as I train to cycle further than I've ever driven a car
  • il sole
    il sole Posts: 56
    Manc33 wrote:
    gimli1001 wrote:
    im new to road cycling after mtb for 15 years thought its time for a change

Sounds like me.

There's a logical order to it all...

1. Get an MTB to be all "hip"
    2. Ride on the road and on trails, realise the drivetrain needs cleaning after every trail ride
    3. Ride the MTB exclusively on the road
    4. Realise people with road bikes are going way faster
    5. Get a road bike
    6. Laugh at newbs on Argos MTB's / people on MTB's on the pavement at night without lights on

Darwin could have something to say about who ends up on a road bike. :lol:

Sounds like me too... I realise I should have listened to the guy who sold me my specialized crosstrail, when he said that I should have bought a roadie!! So, 2 weeks after my 38th birthday I bought my friend's wilier triestina mortirolo, that was just last September! Just been on a 40 mile ride with the friend who sold me the wilier today, and got a '3rd' on a strava segment!!! I have well and truly caught the bug:-)
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • Hi, I am 49 years old and have cycled on and off for the last 20 years, though have stopped during the winter months as have played Rugby and this used to be my passion.
    Now the body informs me that it is too old for the knocks and thus I again started cycling in April 2012. Since that date I have completed the Coast to Coast ride with friends from work and managed to climb the Hardnott Pass without getting off the bike, even though my thighs were screaming and I thought i would need an iron lung.

I now ride regularly, more or less daily to and from work. I have three bikes: -

A Boardman Pro hard tail mountain bike.
    A De Rosa team, full Ultegra, which I have owned for the last 7 years and now use as a winter training bike.
    A Specialized SL3, full Dura Ace, owned since May 2013 and smile everytime I get on it.

My goal is to cycle in excess of 3000 miles this year, which may seem a lot for some but for me it's a huge target.

Thanks.

Keith.
  • I'm 32 and picked up a Surly Crosscheck this weekend. The last bike I had was the one I broke my arm on in the last day of 7th grade.

The main idea for me is fitness. In the 7 years since I got out of the Air Force I've slowly gotten fatter. About a year and a half ago I started lifting with a friend, doing cardio on and off and kind of dieting. At one point I was down 40lbs but started eating more to try to build mass. I decided I got fatter than I liked so I'm working on losing another 20 now. The treadmill and elliptical are boring. I live too far out of town to walk anywhere really. So I bought a bike.

My ultimate goal is to ride from my home in Iowa to see my uncle in Idaho. 1800 miles.
  • I'm 22 and I used to cycle for a job. I used to deliver for a food place in Glasgow via bicycle, done that for about 18 months. I got a Specialized Secteur on my 21st birthday so that I could give a road bike a try, previously I only had hardtail MTBs. After liking the speed benefits of a road bike, I got a Scott CR1 frame in the sales last year, and I built up a bike around that. I had built downhill bikes so road wasn't too difficult to manage. I got rid of my bikes when I got a new job (Scott CR1, Lappierre Zesty 414, Giant Hybrid (work bike)), now that I've left that job, I got myself a new Fuji Altimara 2.5c from Evans in a sale to train with whilst I job hunt. Hoping to get involved in a bike club now and get back to my previous fitness levels. My main reason for taking up cycling again was purely that I missed it, I just genuinely enjoy it. It'l also help with weight loss, and having the end goal of -maybe- competing.
  • Started recently as in the past 9 years since i've left the forces i've put on a lot of weight and now sit at 17 stone.

Bought a Boardman Team Carbon 2013 but found the position too front heavy so now changed to a Specialized Roubaix 2014 Sport Compact. Felt Z95 winter bike.

Want to get fitter and lose weight to be around as long as possible for my little girl that's coming up to 2 years old.

Used to be extremely fit, now after 9 years of nothing I have zero fitness. Been averaging 20mph rides but want to hit 22.5 by summer and want to knock off about 4 stone ideally.

Enjoying this highly addictive sport big time
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    Currently have an MTB (GT Avalanche) with slick tyres on it and getting annoyed with it! It's really frustrating having to keep changing my tyres depending on what cycling I want to do, which seems to be more and more road based these days. Plus I'm doing the Manchester to Blackpool run in summer so need something proper for that.
    I had a Peugeot racer probably about 25 years ago which I loved until it got stolen outside a mates house.
    Shopping around for my new road bike while waiting for the work C2W scheme to open in a couple of weeks.
    I think I'm gonna get this . http://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-r6-el-road-bike-61377.html
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
    Have been cycling since I was a kid (when there didn't seem to be any other options for getting around, really!) but hadn't been on a bike for many years when I first moved to London. Started commuting by bike 15 years ago as there really is a limit to how much I can stand of the public bit of public transport and have been getting increasingly more fond of it. I bought a Ribble about 7 years ago which forced me to become interested in the mechanical side of it and now love tinkering with it. At the moment, the only bits remaining of what I bought first time round is the forks and the gearset - but it's obviously still the SAME BIKE! :lol: In fact, have now just ordered all the bits to upgrade (OK, I admit - change) the gear set from Tiagra to 105 so as soon as the weather stops being quite so grotty it'll only be the forks left of the original bike. Can't wait for better weather and lovely weekend rides that don't have my work as the destination!