How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• DownTider
    DownTider Posts: 6
    Hello I am 45 I used to use bike daily till I was 17 swapped to car and done no exercise to I was 42 spend most nights drinking cider and beer washed down with lots of fast food and you wouldn't beleive it I put on weight and got beer belly!!
    I bought a Specialized Roubaix 2010 used it 3-4 times a week for 3 months quit the drinking lost 7 kg and felt really great about it. Then moved to the hills of Rome with my work was to be 3 months and stretched out near 3 years my bike in storage
    Now working in north Italy and wanted to lose weight so bought a 2013 Scott Addict and polar CS 500 a month a go ,

out daily on it not very fit but I am improving daily my HR ave 160 on 2 hour ride I want to sort this problem then work on speed

Colin.
  • Thought I'd pop my forum cherry on this topic.

I'm 35 - used to ride a lot but just about town and to school in my teens on my green Raleigh Amazon. And always had a bike as a kid thanks to the grandparents the ones I remember include a bronze Raleigh Budgie and a very flash Peugot racer with proper drop handebars that I must have begged and begged for weeks for - just as everyone else was getting big into BMX and having a racer just wasn't cool.

But since my uni days haven't had a bike at all, then I bought a hybrid (Pinnacle Cobalt 2) from Evans at Christmas mainly for going out with the kids (2 and 4). Then in January someone convinced me to have a go at a triathlon at the start of June (Fun Sprint - 200m / 20k / 2.5k), so took the bike out on a few longer rides to prepare in the run up (up to 40km so far) and decided that was quite a lot of fun and a proper road bike might be even more fun.

Have now ordered a Specialized Secteur on CycleScheme to go in for another tri in September, the Manchester-Blackpool ride in a few weeks and hopefully a few more really top days out while we still have some half decent weather.
  • I'm 38. I got a Carrera Virtuoso though cycle to work. It may not be the best bike by a long way but I love it.

I ride 15 miles each way to work and as often as I can at weekends. I started to ride after I found out I had MS which had taken a lot of strength out of my legs. Since I got back on a bike my health has got better and I am now a ride leader for Skyride.

I guess I ride so much now for fear that if I stop my MS will come back again. I know cycling will not stop it, if it's going to happen it will happen no matter what but the cycling must be doing me some good as this is my longest spell with out an episode. So I'll keep going
  • springer64
    springer64 Posts: 25
    50 next year!! Over-the-hill and overweight :oops: 30 years ago, I was a slip of a student in Manchester, taking my beloved Coventry Eagle tourer everywhere - never been as fit, before or since. Started cycling the last bit of my daily commute last month (8 mile round trip) on a folder and have been absolutely smitten. Get to the office so exhilarated, weight starting to ease off (slowly!) and just feel 'better', if that makes sense. My Saracen offroad clunker has been salvaged from the debris at the back of the shed and I've been doing 10-12 milers round our local roads. Those tyres are bloody hard work though :shock:, so now about to pull the trigger on a decent road bike. This site is such a great resource; many thanks to all those who maintain the forums.
  • JeffHaynes
    JeffHaynes Posts: 18
    Hawaii 5-0 for me. Took up commuting this year. Previously I'd done spin classes and some gym stuff. But you cant beat the smell of the open road and diesel fumes!
  • crunchard
    crunchard Posts: 1
    This seems like a good place to start.

I used to be a member of a road racing club when I was much ... much ... younger (mid-teens), so that was about 25-30 years ago.

Reason for picking up again is injury - was a runner, suffered impact issues with my Achilles so no more running :( step forward the wife and a kick up my backside - get yourself fit, get yourself a bike ... lucky it coincides with the TDF as that always gets the proverbial cycling juices flowing.

So 42 years old now and looking forward to getting back on the bike ... now I just need to spend some money!

Hmmm Felt F95, Allez 2014, Roubaix 2013, GT GTR Series 5 2013 ... hang on there were never this many bikes when I was younger!

:)
  • Jun2
    Jun2 Posts: 2
    Thebigbee wrote:
    And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have?

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.

Cheers

Bigbee
    Well to start I am 46, road a bit of everything as kid, road for fun and fitness in mid 90's. I got back into cycling about two years ago, when I picked up a single speed to commute and save on gas. Since then I have gotten back into Road and Mountain biking and continue the occasional commute.

Current bikes include Custom 17" Marin MTB, SE Lager Single Speed, Frankenstein Build Single Speed, old Specialized Roubaix and custom 1x 10 Cannondale Six13 Slice S1 (Urban Roadie)... With help of my LBS' and friends I built the Marin, Cannondale and Frankenstein Single Speed from bare frames. So I think I have it bad.
  • gbredneck
    gbredneck Posts: 16
    40 here, had the whole approaching 40 fat and unfit thing. Attempted running on the treadmill for 6 months which went well, lost almost 4 stone, then the good weather came along, and decided i'd get out on an old self built mountain bike from 15+ years ago. I used to ride a ton when i was in my 20's and working shift work, went 9-5 hours and pretty much stopped all cycling as i

Now riding my old Stumpjumper FSR (2000), Raleigh Airlite 400 (road) and my latest new shiny one being a Specialized Sirrus Comp, all of which are fun for their particular use. This stuff is addictive.
    Road - Raleigh Airlite 400 : Hybrid - Sirrus Comp 2013 : MTB - Orange Clockwork (2013)
    And still not quick enough!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I'm 33, male. I did 3000 miles last year and lost 3 stone of flab. But after 7 months off the bike I'm a newbie again. Slower than this time last year but with greater expectations of myself, very frustrating!
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    I'm 33 and started seriously last year - 700 miles or so. Already done 600 this year, hoping to hit 1,000. Best ride ever last week - 90 miles longest of my life!

Have started mainly because it's a fun social thing to do that doesn't (only) involve drinking.

Previously was fairly active playing rugby and similar sports, never ever had the endurance to keep motoring for long though.

Current bike is a ribble sportive, comfortable and solid. Don't care too much that it's on the heavy side since I'm usually not the slowest in our group...
  • I'm 39 now. I used road bikes during my youth but stopped when I started driving. Started mountain biking when I was 33 and ended up spending about 8 hours a weekend in the saddle along with commuting to work.

That came to an end when I got married and had a child so sold my full suss and got a road bike on the cycle to work scheme and am using it to commute a few times a week. I still have my hard tail which now sports semi-slick tyres and a child seat.

I'd like to say that I was saving money by using the bike to commute but I enjoy buying toys and bling too much :)
  • zingaiya
    zingaiya Posts: 52
    42, 5 foot 9 and 15 stone.

I am however reasonably fit and active (despite still eating all the pies). I did assorted martial arts (badly) for well over a decade (resulting in many damaged joints), and now go to a Crossfit gym, where at least I'm no longer paying people to actively hurt me.

As an adult, I got a MBSO (mountain bike shaped object) from Halfords in my 20's to cycle to and from Uni (6 hillyish miles each way) that I had for about 4 years till it got nicked.

About 6 years ago got a Decathlon hybrid BSO to keep my beloved company with her 20+ year old MBSO.
    Last year we decided to try doing some supersprint triathlons, so I got a Carrera Subway 3 hybrid from Halfords that was quite versatile, if rather heavy.

After the first triathlon this year, my beloved decided she wanted a new bike, as she struggled to lift her MBSO off the rack in transition. I used this as an excuse to get a new bike as well.
    After a bit of research for what we wanted, i.e. something that we could race with, use as tourers and do some light offroad (due to the number of old railways and canal towpaths around us), we discovered the existence of cyclocross bikes, which seemed perfect.

We tried a bike shop in Bury where the staff largely ignored us, so we left and went to the Edinburgh Bike Co-op in Manchester where we had a lovely time with some delightful staff, so we threw a large wedge of cash at them*.
    I've now got a Revolution Cross Sport (disk brakes are handy for the more portly gent), and the beloved got a Specialized Tri Cross (due to them having a 48cm frame available). Yes, her bike costs more than mine. No, I'm not bitter.

Commuting isn't an option (70 mile round trip? Through Manchester? With my arse? I think not), so I cycle to the gym, and have the odd potter at the weekends. Unfortunately I live on the edge of Saddleworth, so everywhere interesting involves an awful lot of up. I'm now acutely aware of the limitations of the compact chainset I have. I'll be investigating the various options available to me later in the year.

*Note to anyone working in retail, if you give us your time and attention, we'll almost certainly throw money at you.
  • chris@68
    chris@68 Posts: 22
    Hullo, my name is Chris, i'm 44 1/2, 5'10. 15 stone.
    History - rode everywhere as a kid - my BMX was much loved, well ridden and regularly serviced by me, having been taught by dad, a long time roadie. BMX gave way to beer and ladies. MTB then came into my world. I bought myself one of the original Orange Clockworks, from Leisure Lakes. Huge, all day epics on a Sunday, rain, hail, sleet or shine.
    Some scrotes relieved me of the clockwork, from the garage at home. We were not insured, turned out dad never had done that kind of insurance. Bike was not replaced.... :evil: Cue more beer and ladies
    Forward a lot of years. MrsChris Mk1 and I separate. I look for things to do... MTB comes back into my world. Has been there, on and off, for the last 10 years.
    A road bike has been on the to do list for a while. Mrs Chris Mk2 allowed me some spending money. After quite a bit of shopping around I was all set to buy a Triban 7.
    Then the crazy Scott CR1's came up at Westbrook... there followed a true 'buggrit' moment and I bought Pro. Built up with an all but complete strip down of my mates old Cube - a touch over my initial budget but, heck....
    First ride was last night - first time on a road bike on over 25 years.
    16 miles, up and over the pennines hills I call home. Loved it :D
    Bike needs a bit on tweaking. The engine needs a heck of a lot of tuning and I need to learn what 'core' exercises are. And, do them!
    Happy days :D

edit - sorry, the plan (isn't it always..) back to 13.5 stone - for no reason than that was the weight I was when I met MrsChris Mk2. If I come back from each ride as happy as I did last night (and avoid the urge to replace all burned calories) it will be fun losing the weight.
    Scott Cr1 Pro
    Cove Handjob
  • rrichar88
    rrichar88 Posts: 5
    Im 25 and got a cyclocross bike about 1 week ago. I love it, I don't why I waited this long. First day I got it I cycled straight to my parents (about 13mile), though I'm not in best shape so my father gave me a lift home. The weekend gone I cycled about 25mile to the coast and back. I bought clipless pedals and I'd like a speedo (though Runtastic app is great for GPS).

Before road/cyclocross I did trials. I started with an Onza 26" then changed to an Echo Control 26". Other sports I do include golf, rowing, surfing. Abit of anything really
  • nternal1
    nternal1 Posts: 58
    I got my first road bike in 35 years last week (Defy 1). I'm 53 but...I have been doing resistance training and jogging for 30 years so I'm not exactly a newb to physical fitness.
  • I'm 27. Ordered a Giant Defy 3 on the cycle to work scheme over three weeks ago and still haven't got it. It's my first bike to own since a Raleigh Max when I was 12. Really looking forward to getting out there and getting a few spins done. Bought a set of Shimano SPD SL pedals and road shoes but as of yet, have no bike to attach them to.

So any advise on where to get started would be great. What kind of distances and average speeds should I be looking at to start. I am at a pretty good fitness level with fairly good cardio levels. But I haven't cycled in years, so I'm guessing I'm going to find it tough.

Very similar to me. Im 49 spent years running and knackered knees, then 25 years at a gym managed other injuries.

Not done anything for a year so yesterday Picked up my wonderful Defy 3 via cycle to work scheme. However, fitted with cleats and had a very scary near miss on the way home plus riding two miles or rather pushing some of it in 29 degrees heat up a very steep hill. Bad start!

Im going to get some flat pedals until my bike and road confidence increases then put cleats on.

My advice is dont try first ride under the same circumstances I did!!
  • nternal1
    nternal1 Posts: 58
    Im going to get some flat pedals until my bike and road confidence increases then put cleats on.

My advice is dont try first ride under the same circumstances I did!!

That's what I should have done. I had no idea what I was getting into and, after having not been on a bike for 35 years, I drove out of the store on full road bike clip in pedals for a 20 km ride. BIG MISTAKE! :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
    But the next time out I did 100 practice clips in and out to get the hang of it. Now I always do some some clip in/out practice just before I go for a ride. These pedals are scary as hell in heavy city traffic but, on the open road there's no better way to get the power to the pedals.
  • wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 79
    I was advised to not use clipins until I had more experience but I bought some MTB pedals that have one side flat an the other cleat. I soon switched over to using the cleats most of the time and now not being clipped in feels wrong. I have had one bad experience when I twisted my knee in panic trying to release when I stoped having forgotten I was clipped in.
  • Hello all,

I'm 36, about 18 stone and 6 foot 6 so not your average cyclist !! Started this year, picked up a giant defy 3 through the work cycle scheme. Played amateur football for the best part of 20 years and the injuries started to add up so in the end i needed some other exercise. Really liking getting out and seeing some beautiful countryside and losing some weight.

Doing a charity ride at the end of august from London back home to Hull so time in the saddle is all i'm aiming for !!
  • hagr182
    hagr182 Posts: 2
    23, turning 24 next month, Im 1.94 meters tall and weight 105 kilos, so not your average cyclist either. I began because last year I was introduced to running, coming from zero physical activity for 5+ years I finished my first marathon last march (and lost 30 kilos training for it, I used to be 135 kilos). Feeling unstopable (but with average to a little slow running times) I decided I wanted to do triathlons.

My goal was to complete the Cozumel 2013 ironman 70.3, my coach said due to my condition if I trained hard it was doable, so I bought my first roadbike last November, a $700 alubike (I was originally gonna go for a Cervelo S3, BUT even tough I had saved for it, I decided to get a basic bike with good parts (the alubike has all shimano 105 parts and mavic wheels) so I could learn and develop my skills and in 5 years time go for a pro bike that fits my needs and style).

But due to graduation, and my eventual work as a corporate lawyer, I was unable to train as Id liked and pretty much began seriously training last may.

Now I am more or less good with swimming and running, but getting on my firts 50 km ride ( I could do 30s no problem before) I realized I needed time to get used to the position, time to learn to use my bike properly and more importantly, develop more strenght to support my back on long rides. So now, if God permits, I am gonna do Cozumel 2014. I need to learn a lot and more importantly ride more.

However Now I train 3 times a week ( I have to alternate running and swimming after all!), 1 of those being a long saturday ride. Cycling has me hooked and I want to develop as a cyclist as well!
  • jevo
    jevo Posts: 3
    Age 37

I bought a Claude Butler Hybrid a couple of years ago and mainly did trail riding with the odd commute to work and back which was 11 miles each way (fair weather cyclist). I recently purchased a Boardman road race bike and have now become nigh on addicted! (although probably still fair weather). I keep trying to drag mates out but it gets a bit tedious when they have to keep getting off to push up hills.
  • alxce
    alxce Posts: 12
    alxce wrote:
    I have just turned 60 and used to do a lot of road biking in my teens/twenties but then lapsed until I got an MTB while living in the U.S. That was ten years ago and it didn't get an awful lot of use to be honest. Over the last year I have had both knees completely replaced so got back on the MTB to help build all the muscles back up and found myself enjoying it so much I decided it would be a good idea to get back on a road bike.
    I have been doing about 10 miles daily on the MTB so I was thinking this is good training for the road bike and have to admit a little added impetus came from both TDF and the Olympic velodrome. I used to be pretty fit and was a regular at a gym but dropped that a couple of years back hoping that other things would compensate. Subsequent weight gains and a general feeling of not fit for purpose show that to be a myth, although I would hold up three years with knackered knees as a partial excuse.

After extensive research, exhaustive spec/price comparisons and an education on modern bikes I picked up a Giant Defy Composite 2 last Friday and I am absolutely loving it. Saturday morning I took it out for the first time and 16 miles later I felt like I had been transported back in time about forty years. Just waiting for my shoes to arrive and will then be learning cleats all over again. I really hope the shoes have improved because the last ones I had (many decades ago) made it feel like the cleat was trying to bore a hole in your foot once you stepped off the bike. It's my lasting memory of them along with falling off a few times!

Update 17/8.
    Shoes arrived, SPDs installed and tested on driveway for safe exit. Turns out I have a tendency to unclip my left foot first which made me feel comfortable from the outset as I drive off with the right. Just been out for a 12 mile test run and deliberately included lots of junctions etc., where I knew unclipping might be necessary. It's a lot like driving a car really, you just have to focus on anticipating what comes next. Do that and the foot is out before you get into trouble. Have a little soreness from the right knee but that was the one replaced end of May and still needs a little hardening up. Need a longer run to determine if the SPD needs adjusting.

Great to be back :D:D

So, nearly a year later and I went through the 2000 miles mark yesterday. I have enjoyed most of those miles immensely in all weather conditions apart from the odd puncture and impatient motorist.
    It has been almost as much fun buying all manner of cycling stuff (mostly clothing) along the way and that includes picking up a nice, shiny new Felt F6 to go with the Giant.
    My average speed has gone up nicely to around 16 mph on a 20 mile ride but my only disappointment is that I haven't lost a great deal of weight and that's probably because I enjoy my food and drink a little too much. Despite that I am feeling a lot healthier and get up every morning looking forward to getting back out there.
  • PaulieB85
    PaulieB85 Posts: 16
    28. Moved to the city so decided to get a roadie alongside my MTB. I like the speed difference :))
    MTB - Kona kikapu deluxe XTR - 2008
    Road - Giant Defy 1 - 2014
  • y2blade
    y2blade Posts: 31
    Hello all...I'm 38 8)
    I'm New to road biking although have been riding MTB (and BMX before them) since I was a child..

Picked up my first Road bike last Thurs evening, and tbh wish I'd got one sooner.
    Have done about 80miles on it already.

I'm Well and truly hooked.
  • y9y9
    y9y9 Posts: 24
    I'm 21, decided to get a road bike with a friend of mine for weekend and evening rides.

Used to play football, golf, tennis and other activities weekly but work seems to have gotten in the way and everything stopped. Always wanted to start up road cycling but never really wanted to do it alone, so when a friend suggested taking it up we both bought starter bikes to see how we like it.

I bought a Viking Scirocco in yellow. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I much prefer starting out on a cheaper bike. Alot of older people I know have Pinarellos and S-Works bikes, so I'm sure I will want all the gear if I go riding with them. :D
  • trappy666
    trappy666 Posts: 39
    Newbie here, 29 years of age, approx 90kg and 6 foot 1.

Been riding MTB for a good 15-20 years and decided that it was time to move on to the road as I want to start raising money for charity and what better way than to jump on a bike and get some exerciser and see some beautiful scenery. Trying to give up smoking in order to improve my fitness.

Currently looking into getting my first road bike but it's not going to be an expensive one as I'm currently at Uni but something that I can upgrade easily.
  • 43yrs old. Been riding an MTB for last 7yrs although not that seriously. Biked to work for 6yrs although that was yrs ago and prior to that I used do some road biking.

Main motivation is fitness ie today I have a severe lack of it, oh and the removal of a few odd kgs....
  • I'm 23, I have been cycling for my entire life, however, I am looking to take the plunge into getting a road bike! I think it will be a major shock to the system to start off with after years of upright cycling :wink: ! However, hopefully as I gradually build up to longer times and faster speeds hopefully it will become second nature to me.
  • 50 (gulp!)

For many years no formal exercise, though fairly active lifestyle: prior to that, running and occasional football. Gave up football as I moved away from the informal team that I was part of, and running due to shin splints and middle aged resignation to my fate.

Cycled to school as a kid: only occasional leisure rides.

Got a cheap hybrid a couple of years ago for leisure rides with family, realised that I was using it mainly on my own for road rides, so just bought a second hand Specialised Allez.
  • wrenny
    wrenny Posts: 5
    46...i`m not a roadie, been into mtb for a couple of years. I bought a bike for knocking about local canals and summer pub rides etc but quickly got addicted and started getting a bit more adventurous with trips to Glentress, Cannock etc. I also do a fair bit of hillwalking (Lakes, Snowdonia, Peaks) and thought a bit of cycling would help keep me fit between trips, but the cycling seems to have taken over. Prior to that i`d not had a bike since i had one knicked on a school art trip when i was about 15.

Thinking of getting a road bike as Notts is hardly a mtb mecca and i`m getting a little bored of riding the same local trails. I dont mind chucking the bike in the back of the car but it`s nice to just go for a quick ride after work and there are many more roads than trails in the world..

I stumbled on this thread last night...was feeling really lethargic after work but some of the stories were so inspiring i chucked my shorts on and went for a quick blast out...which i thoroughly enjoyed