Thursday evening Richmond Park ride?

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iPete wrote:
    Good work Blonde, chain gang soon? think a sub 18 could be on the cards!

Think sub-18 may be a bit of a pipe dream although checking Strava it actually reckons 18:20 :) (we were only timing roughly and weren't properly recording the splits).

+1 on the good work.

Worth noting that if anyone is going for the 3LC they should take their times from a lap function on a computer, not rely on Strava as it is not accurate enough.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, Strava's about 5-6 seconds out. According to Strava, I clocked a 16:57 or something last summer, but my lap function said 17:02 or something. I would have gone below 17-min had I not been held up by a car 3-4 cars ahead. When I caught sight of the reg, I realised that car was my neighbour's. If they'd asked me if I'd had a good ride when we got back to the house, I'm not sure I'd have been able to answer. I was livid.

Got caught up in a mini chaingang in RP last night. I'm an old man with a heavy backpack, lads: I should've been sitting on your wheel! Go faster!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    rumbled, I did about 90% of the work, the other two were hanging on for the ride but I also lost about 20 seconds waiting at the top of the hills! going to have a crack at the 16s soon (solo ;) ) or do a proper 3 lap challenge. I see Strava has fixed the circuit issues and the 3 lap segments now work!

Legs regretted it at last nights race :|
    Hillingdon last night: "Pete, jump on my wheel and I'll lead you out! Pete? Pete? Where the f**k is he? Why is he now 20m back?" Made me laugh anyway.

:lol:

no domestique work for me next Monday :oops:
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    cjcp wrote:
    ...held up by a car 3-4 cars ahead... I was livid.

Can car drivers ever win? Break the speed limit, get criticized by cyclists. Obey the speed limit, get criticized by cyclists... :lol:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Can car drivers ever win? Break the speed limit, get criticized by cyclists. Obey the speed limit, get criticized by cyclists... :lol:

No, they can't win. Not when I'm on a sub-17. Everything else is irrelevant. :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

No, they can't win. Not when I'm on a sub-17. Everything else is irrelevant. :mrgreen:

Absolutely correct! Think we should start a Silly Hypocritical Cyclists club.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    pangolin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Absolutely correct! Think we should start a Silly Hypocritical Cyclists club.
    With the motto 'my way or not the highway' or summink
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Or "My way but only for today"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Hmmm, new car is bland enough CJ might not recognise me.
    Did an off road lap on the Kinesis over the weekend, it was a bit scary in places. What's the deal with overtaking cars and cyclists that are in the road when I'm on the path? That bit was fun.
  • cjcp
    Heh heh. It was a car in my road.

I've nearly got my Kinesis up and running. Nowhere near as bling as yours, but we should do a couple of laps. Do you want to borrow my Mud2 tyres?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    I've nearly got my Kinesis up and running. Nowhere near as bling as yours, but we should do a couple of laps. Do you want to borrow my Mud2 tyres?
    Marvellous, look forward to seeing it.
    Yes we should. I've got some Conti Speed Kings I could put on. The problem with them is I've had a visit from she who must not be named every time I've used them. I might try putting those tyre liner things inside them and see if that helps.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Off the back of my chaingang fail last night (fairy visited before I reached the start) I was thinking of Richmond this evening.
    Then the gent opposite me at work suggested Hog Hill.
    So I'm going racing. For the first time. Uh oh. Anyone else in the 3/4s this eve?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    dhope wrote:
    Off the back of my chaingang fail last night (fairy visited before I reached the start) I was thinking of Richmond this evening.
    So I'm going racing. For the first time. Uh oh. Anyone else in the 3/4s this eve?

Good luck!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm going home via the park, I may do a lap. I am up for beer if anyone about.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dhope wrote:
    Willy B is i think...
  • dhope
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Willy B is i think...
    Ah, don't think I've met him.
    Well, down to the short notice, and owning no club kit, I'll be sporting a Teenage Cancer Trust jersey. Anyone else about, say hi.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    dhope wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Willy B is i think...
    Ah, don't think I've met him.
    Well, down to the short notice, and owning no club kit, I'll be sporting a Teenage Cancer Trust jersey. Anyone else about, say hi.
    hes about 7ft tall, skinny as a bean pole and able to make a bike move like shit off a shovel.

good luck (no pressure willy b....)
  • iPete
    more like 8 ft?

Hog Hill looks interesting, shame I couldn't be arsed with the 30 mile commute after, points on offer n all.

http://app.strava.com/segments/643523
  • spasypaddy
    nah he just looks like hes 8ft as hes so lanky!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    dhope wrote:

Rode a few 3/4 races there last year but can't do Thursdays this year :(

Its a good circuit, advice would be to do a few laps beforehand and work on the sharp left at the bottom of the hill - you need to take it smoothly and get the power on early coming out otherwise you'll get dropped on the drag that follows. After that there is a nice long descent with a couple of easy bends - best place to regain position, you can usually power down on the right, no need to brake until the right hander at the bottom but people always do. A few twists and turns at the bottom end but nothing too tricky, then the Hoggenberg. Don't burn your matches there - best to follow wheels and spin up I find. If you're still up there for the final sprint, remember it gets progressively tougher as you approach the top so best to be in a low gear and high cadence to start rather than a higher gear and end up grinding at the top.

Good luck!
  • dhope
    BigMat wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Rode a few 3/4 races there last year but can't do Thursdays this year :(

Its a good circuit, advice would be to do a few laps beforehand and work on the sharp left at the bottom of the hill - you need to take it smoothly and get the power on early coming out otherwise you'll get dropped on the drag that follows. After that there is a nice long descent with a couple of easy bends - best place to regain position, you can usually power down on the right, no need to brake until the right hander at the bottom but people always do. A few twists and turns at the bottom end but nothing too tricky, then the Hoggenberg. Don't burn your matches there - best to follow wheels and spin up I find. If you're still up there for the final sprint, remember it gets progressively tougher as you approach the top so best to be in a low gear and high cadence to start rather than a higher gear and end up grinding at the top.

Good luck!

Great advice, all spot on, ta. Problem was that my cornering is still pants so I still ended up toward the back of the pack for the first half dozen laps. Had a couple of laps then where I didn't regain the position in the easy bit following and ended up getting dropped. Did another 4 or so laps with another couple of people that had been dropped and then pulled up.
    On the up side, it doesn't feel like it's a lack of pace, more a lack of experience (very little fast group riding, and no fast cornering). Very much noticed that if you're not moving up through the pack then you're going backwards.
    Back again soon to give it another go.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    It's a fixie thing, really struggled in the corners and still do.

I've stuck all my noob learnings onto a blog, might be of use http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/
  • il_principe
    Anyone up for a ride tonight? I'm a little lurgied up, but am planning an evening bimble around RP.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Anyone up for a ride tonight? I'm a little lurgied up, but am planning an evening bimble around RP.
    I'm going to try and get over there for a couple of laps. I did some sweet-spot(I'm guessing, no PT on the commuter) laps last night so something a little more relaxed tonight could fit. What sort of time were you thinking?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I'm going to try and get over there for a couple of laps. I did some sweet-spot(I'm guessing, no PT on the commuter) laps last night so something a little more relaxed tonight could fit. What sort of time were you thinking?

I'm WFH so really anytime after 17:30.
  • veronese68
    I might head that way on the way home, it will depend on how far my Thursday hangover has gone by then. I'll be there around 6ish.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'll probably get out of work at 5:30 so I'll be in the park at around 6:15. Meet at Roehampton gate for ACW laps? I'll be in a black Planet X jersey on a Ti bike with mudguards.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    Sounds good. I'll be in the Black Pinarello, in black kit.
  • spasypaddy
    Sounds good. I'll be in the Black Pinarello, in black kit.
    head to toe castelli?

why not just post the podium photo from the weekend :P
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I was tempted to join, but I don't have any black cycling kit.

Don't you fashion icons find black a bit warm in this weather?
    Pannier, 120rpm.