Ricco hospitalised

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    It seems to me that he had moved on to blood transfusion because he thought (and had evidence) that he would get away with it and be able to beat the system. This could lead you to think that there are plenty in the peloton who are doing this and beating the system - maybe I'm stating the obvious but it's a sad state of affairs if that is the case (and I'm not looking to start a LA has beat the system for years 'discussion').
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dulldave wrote:

and help father a culture that puts prospective participants of the sport at risk?

You could argue that. I think there's a stronger argument that he is a result of that culture than a father of it. It gets a bit circular when you think about it like that and calls into question anyone's admiration of Tom Simpson if you were to take it far enough.

yeah I think you have it there

my point really is its not as trival as just cheating

At base level though thats just what it is it a form of cheating with risks involved, risks that the individual doing it will know fine well. If i go to a club tonight and take an ecstasy tablet and die as a result then its my fault no one elses i knew the risks......end of story really.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    kfinlay wrote:
    It seems to me that he had moved on to blood transfusion because he thought (and had evidence) that he would get away with it and be able to beat the system. This could lead you to think that there are plenty in the peloton who are doing this and beating the system - maybe I'm stating the obvious but it's a sad state of affairs if that is the case (and I'm not looking to start a LA has beat the system for years 'discussion').

I rather suspect he's not "moved on" to transfusions but has been doing them all along. Kohl said they used EPO to hide evidence of transfusions.

Similar sort of note in this article

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 36088&tp=n
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Ricco demonstrates the dangers of blood doping on a budget...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Vacansoleil now officially suspend Ricco

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vacanso ... ends-ricco
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    You miss my point: it is only bike racing and yet people on the forum support this callow creature, - but people throughout the world suffer real tragedy; loss of life and love and possesions through no fault of their own. These are the people that deserve respect, support and sypathy.

Ricco, to my mind does not deserve this support; - he cheated at bike racing, at his profession and he cheated his fans. He is a weak, shallow person that thinks only of himself. In the end his injury is self inflected, in yet another attempt to cheat not just fellow competitors but all of us.

I wont shed tears for him or his ilk.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Bugly wrote:
    You miss my point: it is only bike racing and yet people on the forum support this callow creature, - but people throughout the world suffer real tragedy; loss of life and love and possesions through no fault of their own. These are the people that deserve respect, support and sypathy.

Ricco, to my mind does not deserve this support; - he cheated at bike racing, at his profession and he cheated his fans. He is a weak, shallow person that thinks only of himself. In the end his injury is self inflected, in yet another attempt to cheat not just fellow competitors but all of us.

I wont shed tears for him or his ilk.
    +1
    There are people out there far more deserving of my and your sympathy. Self inflicted.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • velo_pros_2011_015.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    Speaking exclusively to Cyclingnews before today's fourth stage of the Tour of Qatar, HTC-Highroad’s Rolf Aldag describes his anger and lack of surprise, and need for teams to act together to make it clear that doping is unacceptable.

As long as that action doesn't involve the dismissal of team directors or sprint coaches with a previous history of doping, obviously.

I see Cav made a typically measured and sympathetic comment too, in the same video. :shock:
    Isn't one of Cav's relatives also a bit of a drugs-related ne'er-do-well loser?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    One of the reasons that the peleton are so down on Ricco, apart from the obvious, is that his arrogant general attitude made him a lot of enemies.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    wicked wrote:
    Bugly wrote:
    There are people out there far more deserving of my and your sympathy. Self inflicted.

So what? There's no limit to the amount of sympathy you can offer, it's not a limited resource!. The guy's a complete tool and I hope he never again has the opportunity to race a bike for money. But all he's done is cheat at sport and put his own life in danger as a consequence.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    "The devil made me do it the first time / The second time I done it on my own."
    (Billy Jose Shaver)

RR= Testa di cazzo
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    If it had not of been this incident it would have been something else with ricco.
    A tragic case. In his early years he promised so much.

I was thinking about this case as i neared the end of my 80 odd mile ride on friday. I was bonking but pressed on home from the peak district. I dont think ricco even before ever thought he was doing any wrong. You do wonder what kind of basic life skill education he must have thinking that he could perform a transfusion himself.

This truly just isnt a matter of him being caught out it puts cycling back years. If a rider at this level is prepared to do a d.i.y transfusion others must be doing it as well. I mean to me that puts us back a long way.
    If he truly was acting on his own it just shows you to what level a certain rider will stoop to.

I still want to believe but its getting harder as the years pass by.

Unbelievable.
    I hope he makes it good but not in cycling.
    Such a gifted talent wasted
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    iainf72 wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

I rather suspect he's not "moved on" to transfusions but has been doing them all along. Kohl said they used EPO to hide evidence of transfusions.

Similar sort of note in this article

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 36088&tp=n

Thanks for clarifying that, I don't claim to know much about these sort of things. Everyday is a school day eh :D
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    darren H wrote:
    If it had not of been this incident it would have been something else with ricco.

From what i've heard even as a juniour Ricco was doping to I think any early promise was from doping anyway. Seems he was warped from a young age
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sherer wrote:
    darren H wrote:

From what i've heard even as a juniour Ricco was doping to I think any early promise was from doping anyway. Seems he was warped from a young age

Please provide a link to the ".... heard even as a junior Ricco was doping...".
    I'm sure we would all be interested in this, obviously, fact filled statement you have made and where it came from.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

I'm sure we would all be interested in this, obviously, fact filled statement you have made and where it came from.

Why do you do this if you have no interest in cycling Den? Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccardo_Ricc%C3%B2
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Wow. I didn't have much time for Ricco and didn't bother reading this thread, and being busy hadn't caught the news elsewhere.

To me this whole episode is one tragic farce. I don't like the way other riders are putting the boot into Ricco. He's an easy target. Yes those that are clean are entitled to feel pissed off that they've been having to ride against a cheat, but it's not like we don't know there are cheats in cycling. It's just an easy way of making the big "we're anti-doping, big style" statement with absolutely no comeback. It's bully mentality, kick the smallest, wait until he's down before you stamp on him. They're not making anything like as much noise about more well-connected riders, nor the TDs with dodgy history.

I have a gut feeling that like many others they thought Ricco was an accident waiting to happen and that what they're really cross about is that he's pissed on their chips, again. Clean and juiced alike, they're pissed off he was so stupid.

As for Ricco himself, he'll never ride again, which is all well and proper. It's worth taking a moment though to consider that this is exactly why we need strong anti-doping controls. As thick as two short planks cycling is probably the only thing he was ever good at, but he didn't think he could compete (against other riders, some of whom were also juiced) without artificial help. He chose his own path, but it's one that's well trodden. He was just too stupid to read the map properly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Why do you do this if you have no interest in cycling Den? Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccardo_Ricc%C3%B2

That's all I was asking for(plus a little added sarcasm, but that's just me). What's the problem with me asking someone what the source was? The poster gets to say something like that without anyone questioning him? Do all of you just sit back and nod your heads "YES" it must be true because I read it on a forum? So, a fellow pro rider has "suggested" that he doped "openly" as a junior. Does that ring any kind of bell in your head that says "wait a minute, this is rumor at best"? Does to me. "Openly" is what did it for me. To me that means without concern to who or whom saw him. That doesn't make a lot of sense for even the dumbest of people. However, anything is possible.
  • iainf72
    It depends if you take each piece of information as a single entity and evaluate it, or do you take all the available information and decide.

If you looked at Ricco's history, would you think stories of him doping as a junior would be outlandish?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    The first time I read it was in an issue of pro cycling.

One article or link you can sort of ignore but once they start to pile up you have to ask questions
  • darren H
    At some point early in his career he would have been clean but the obsession to become a mega star was too much. He chose to dope.
    I too have never heard that he doped as a junior.

It was his attitude that got the peloton angry. I remember in one magazine when he made is comeback and they interviewed him talking about his stage wins and that he won on dope.
    Riccos comment, yeah but i was flying wasnt i.

I truly believe he didnt realise he was doing any wrong simply because there was and still is probably many more doing it.
    He was just an outspoken rider that many didnt like.

He wont be the last
  • darren H
    At some point early in his career he would have been clean but the obsession to become a mega star was too much. He chose to dope.
    I too have never heard that he doped as a junior.

It was his attitude that got the peloton angry. I remember in one magazine when he made is comeback and they interviewed him talking about his stage wins and that he won on dope.
    Riccos comment, yeah but i was flying wasnt i.

I truly believe he didnt realise he was doing any wrong simply because there was and still is probably many more doing it.
    He was just an outspoken rider that many didnt like.

He wont be the last
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Has anyone heard what physical condition he's in know?
    Is he out of Intensive Care?
  • iainf72
    Update on Ricco's condition

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-s ... infections

Hopefully he's on the mend.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Update on Ricco's condition

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-s ... infections

Hopefully he's on the mend.

Scary stuff. Not good.
  • Tusher wrote:
    Has anyone heard what physical condition he's in know?
    Is he out of Intensive Care?

very poorly I hope he gets better :(
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Somewhat irrationally I feel sorry for him as I think the peloton at large took cheap shots at the stupid bloke. I hope he does stay away from cycling as it will probably do him and cycling good, a 'normal' life might enable him to get his head together.