Ricco hospitalised

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It seems odd that the doctor has spoken so freely about what Ricco supposedly told him. Do they not have patient confidentiality laws in Italy or what?
  • Wow, if true that is farcical. Really quite unbelievable. I will wait to cast judgement (aren't Dr's meant to have patient confidentiality) but that is not good when related to Aldo Sassi. Seriously I am quite speechless. Especially as whytf do you do this at this time of the season....
    Contador is the Greatest
  • If true, I think he needs some serious sort of support. I don't think it will end happily.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    And to think, I castigated myself for thinking 'doping related' when I first read the story.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    For those of us who don't speak Italian, can someone summarize?

Auto blood transfusion is it?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Pokerface wrote:

Seems the idiot put blood into himself that had been stored in his fridge incorrectly.

If true he's lucky not to be dead.
  • Bash it through Google translate

http://translate.google.com/#

It doesn't make pretty reading
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's on Cycling News.

Says he admitted it in front of doctor and g/f (not wife).

Does the prescence of the extra person waive confidentiality?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian-police-investigate-ricco-for-blood-doping
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Jeez, bloody grim. He does need an intervention if this is true.

Why would someone attempt a transfusion at this time of year? Was he just practising?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    amazing. To be fair he didn't exactly talk reformed or even seem apologetic. He needs kept away from all sport and any position of trust in any walk of life
  • If he was prepared to do that, to fly up Mont Faron in the T de Med,
    what price the Giro?
    This worries me on a whole lot of levels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    If this is true,as it seems to be, how could Ricco do this to Aldo Sassi?

I hope he lives to grow older.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I can't understand why you'd do this in Feb. Unless it's required to keep passports in check.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kidney Failure = blood transfusion from wrongly marked bag

silly silly boy
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Suspect it has to do with the passport. Can't think of another reason.
  • dave_1
    Kidney Failure = blood transfusion from wrongly marked bag

silly silly boy
    wrongly marked bag??
    do you maybe he transfused another person's blood? teamwork???
  • Dave_1 wrote:

silly silly boy
    wrongly marked bag??

:lol:

me ???

no he is working alone .... and no one else is involved, Di Luca told me so
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    I can't understand why you'd do this in Feb. Unless it's required to keep passports in check.

Why not do it all year round?

Assuming you're doing it correctly, obviously.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    We don't know he had kidney failure, that's a line attributed to his father who may have come up with that as a line to give the press to stop them speculating as to why he'd been suddenly admitted to hospital.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    It seems odd that the doctor has spoken so freely about what Ricco supposedly told him. Do they not have patient confidentiality laws in Italy or what?

As doping is a criminal offence in Italy, perhaps the doctor was obliged to advise the authorities and the release of the report came from the police rather than the doctor?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Sad on all levels.
    All the talk of wanting to do things properly down the drain. The trust of the late Aldo Sassi treated with contempt, and a young life put at risk for something which in the grand scheme of things is only an unimportant game.
    He needs help, and he needs to be kept away from the sport.
    I hope he recovers and lives to reflect on what he has done.
  • Dave_1 wrote:

silly silly boy
    wrongly marked bag??

:lol:

me ???

no he is working alone .... and no one else is involved, Di Luca told me so

I understand it to be autologuous (his own).

This really is the dark side of the sport I love surfacing. I find it disturbing. :(
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Nickwill wrote:
    Sad on all levels.
    All the talk of wanting to do things properly down the drain. The trust of the late Aldo Sassi treated with contempt, and a young life put at risk for something which in the grand scheme of things is only an unimportant game.
    He needs help, and he needs to be kept away from the sport.
    I hope he recovers and lives to reflect on what he has done.

I do not wish to speak ill of the dead but you are assuming that Sassi had nothing to do with doping. How can you be sure of this? Because he said so? We can't know, sadly.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • rick_chasey
    Nickwill wrote:
    Sad on all levels.

Don't get me wrong, but all this hagiographical rhetoric about Sassi and his 'trust' being broken just because he died recently doesn't sit well with me.

He gambled on Ricco to be clean, turns out, after he died, Ricco isn't clean. He's just not around to see it.

This 'break' of trust is not any worse because Sassi is now dead.

I don't think that Sassi's trust is the issue here at all. All it shows is that Ricco talks a good game - enough to dupe Sassi - but doesn't play one.
  • Bad blood screws people up. Remember Jesus Manzano's story while he was on Kleme of an episode where he got a) someone else's blood, or b) his own that was badly stored.

He had hot and cold flashes, headache, tunnel vision, etc which eventually got so bad he pulled out of the race even tho the so-called Dr told him to continue.

Whoever thinks there should be an immunity on doping is ignoring the malpractice by so-called team Drs.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Bad blood screws people up. Remember Jesus Manzano's story while he was on Kleme of an episode where he got a) someone else's blood, or b) his own that was badly stored.

He had hot and cold flashes, headache, tunnel vision, etc which eventually got so bad he pulled out of the race even tho the so-called Dr told him to continue.
    The Manzano incident wasn't caused by use of either someone else's blood or his own, instead it was the alleged use of Oxyglobin, a drug used to treat anemia in dogs.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    Bad blood screws people up. Remember Jesus Manzano's story while he was on Kleme of an episode where he got a) someone else's blood, or b) his own that was badly stored.

The Manzano incident wasn't caused by use of either someone else's blood or his own, instead it was the alleged use of Oxyglobin, a drug used to treat anemia in dogs.

that's right but i think when he left the sport he outlined how a Kelme doc or helper was involved/negligent when a transfusion went wrong and Manzano got left on his own with it
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

that's right but i think when he left the sport he outlined how a Kelme doc or helper was involved/negligent when a transfusion went wrong and Manzano got left on his own with it

Frightening!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Don't worry. A large fine to the UCI and he'll be on the cover of all the mags saying how Sassi appeared to him in a vision and now he (Ricco) will train only on mineral water and grissini and can he have a new contract please?
    M.Rushton