Ricco hospitalised

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited March 2011 in Pro race
With suspected kidney failure. If EPO is used in his treatment he could be out for a while.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7349/Ricco-rushed-to-hospital-with-suspected-kidney-failure.aspx

Comments

• Bad News

Get well soon Cobra
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    what goes around etc etc..
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    edited February 2011
    [poor taste]The lengths some will go to for a TUE[/poor taste] :wink:
  • Cant stand him from his doping past but I hope he gets better soon.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    edited February 2011
    yea its very bad news.. what can cause a kidney to fail?

Hope he gets well soon
    cartoon.jpg
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Cant stand him from his doping past but I hope he gets better soon.
    +1 hoping he's alright.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    So just looking at what can cause your kidneys to fail if your perfectly healthy.

:roll: :roll:
    Prerenal causes (pre=before + renal=kidney) causes are due to decreased blood supply to the kidney. Examples of prerenal causes of kidney failure are:

hypovolemia (low blood volume) due to blood loss;

dehydration from loss of body fluid (for example, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, fever);

poor intake of fluids;

medication, for example, diuretics ("water pills") may cause excessive water loss; and

abnormal blood flow to and from the kidney due to obstruction of the renal artery or vein.
    cartoon.jpg
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I was a fit and healthy 18 year old running regular half marathons when my kidneys packed in due to complications that arose from the glandular fever I had suffered the previous year. Ironically, only 3 days before I was taken into hospital I set a PB of 1.22 so best not jump to conclusions as to what may or may not have caused his illness.

As someone who has suffered kidney failure and been through biopsies etc my thoughts are with him, even if he does come across as a bit of a scumbag.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    shakey88 wrote:

+1
  • As someone who suffers from a horrible kidney disease, sistine urea, I wouldn't want to wish the physical pain one can suffer from such an ailment on anyone.
    Don't get me wrong, when it comes to supposed sporting prowess, the man is a complete gimp. But when you have such a life threatening occurrence such as his, you can only wish that he comes out the other side healthy and happy.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No fan of Ricco but wish him well and hope he recovers. Some of the reports have him in pretty bad shape.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    rajMAN wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:

+1

What planet you 2 on?

He doped in a sport not really a life or death situation is it really?

Get well soon Cobra.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    rajMAN wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:

+1

What planet you 2 on?

He doped in a sport not really a life or death situation is it really?

Get well soon Cobra.

Quite, the lack of empathy among some people towards someone who cheated at riding a bike is outstanding.

If anyone is getting any kind of satisfaction from this I suggest they have a good think as to why they do.
    Mañana
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Some people really need to get a grip. I'm not a fan of him as a cyclist, but as a fellow human being I hope he gets better soon.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • shinyhelmut
    Personally I hope he recovers, but if he doesn't return to pro cycling then I won't be disappointed.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good luck to him. I was looking forwards to seeing him race - hopefully clean. Speculation as to whether doping has played a part in this is inevitable and I don't think there is anything wrong in that - if it can lead to stuff like this - even if it can't be proven in this case - then that is something that we should be open about. I'm quite happy to discuss whether he's brought this on himself but it doesn't mean I think he deserves it - in fact once they've served a ban I wipe the slate clean and if anything I think in his case people are generally a bit harsh.

Getting caught might not deter everybody but some may be put off by the chance of dying young - similar thing with speculation epo or HGH abuse can cause cancers.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • VS downplaying and saying a high fever. Will see.

He wont be riding Tour of Med which is a shame as Mont Faron would be a good place to see him test himself against some decent competition.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Perhaps in the cold light of day I was too hasty to judge his condition and I would not wish that on him, for that I apologise. However as far as cycling goes I wouldn't be sorry to see the back of Ricco.
  • iainf72
    Sounds like Ricco has history of kidney issues

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... blems.html
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sounds like Ricco has history of kidney issues

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... blems.html

Or a Pulmonary embolism. which is a recognised risk of blood thickening.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'd be more happy to see him busted again for doping than to see him out of the sport for genuine health reasons. Not a fan either, but do hope he recovers. Interested to see how he races 'clean'.
  • iainf72
    Oh Ricardo you absolute twat (if this is true)

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/08-02-2 ... 5384.shtml
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oh Ricardo you absolute fool (if this is true)

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/08-02-2 ... 5384.shtml
    +1 :shock: man that's grim if it's true.
  • shinyhelmut
    Idiot
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm shocked and surprised :roll:

Same old story - so let's see him get well then off into retirement
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Dirty dirty sport, cycling.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    If true I pull the sympathy I earlier posted. Surely no-one is that idiotic are they?
  • Ricco is the man that keeps on giving ........

himself Performance enhancing drugs
  • Aldo Sassi's last gamble fails then :cry::cry:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent