Ricco hospitalised

Comments

• Would Ricco really be daft enough to try and self-administer a transfusion?

I find that hard to believe.
    Mens agitat molem
  • If he did admit something to the doctor treating him and he was in a fever state, then he's hardly going to be thinking straight.

Will see I suppose.
    Mens agitat molem
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    bazbadger wrote:
    If he did admit something to the doctor treating him and he was in a fever state, then he's hardly going to be thinking straight.

Will see I suppose.

Different versions of what was admitted to a doctor, where I have heard this before, I just can't place it........
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Speak for yourself I have never felt any sympathy for Landis at any time, i dont see the need to change that view just because he choose to target a certain individual. He was lying cheating fraudster 5 years ago and he is a lying cheating fraudster now.

He's changed his story though, so either he was lying then and is now telling the truth, or he is lying now and was telling the truth then, surely?

If it was just about him doping then you may have a point but its not all about him now though is it, 5 years ago his credibility was zero just because he admits doping now this does not make what he says about others any more credible in fact given that its coming from a man who lied and gained money under false pretences it has to be viewed with suspicion. So in short saying he was a lying fraudster 5 years ago and he still is is perfectly valid stance to take. The way you are putting it is akin to a murderer denying murder for 5 years then suddenly admitting it but accusing 10 others of murder as well..............the credibility of the accuser is at the heart of it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Speak for yourself I have never felt any sympathy for Landis at any time, i dont see the need to change that view just because he choose to target a certain individual. He was lying cheating fraudster 5 years ago and he is a lying cheating fraudster now.

He's changed his story though, so either he was lying then and is now telling the truth, or he is lying now and was telling the truth then, surely?

If it was just about him doping then you may have a point but its not all about him now though is it, 5 years ago his credibility was zero just because he admits doping now this does not make what he says about others any more credible in fact given that its coming from a man who lied and gained money under false pretences it has to be viewed with suspicion. So in short saying he was a lying fraudster 5 years ago and he still is is perfectly valid stance to take. The way you are putting it is akin to a murderer denying murder for 5 years then suddenly admitting it but accusing 10 others of murder as well..............the credibility of the accuser is at the heart of it.

This i a good point, and clearly why Jeff has been using Floyd to elicit material covertly, and seems to have been spending lots of time building a case from a variety of more credible sources, rather than just sitting Floyd in front of a Grand Jury and calling it done.

[I just wrote 'stinking Floyd' instead of 'sitting Floyd'. Freudian or what :D ]

Strava is not Zen.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Moray Gub wrote:

But he said what we wanted to hear therefore it must be true! :lol:

Personally I think the kimmage interview rings true to me but I get your point.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone know which knob pro tweeted they hoped he didn't wake up?

You going to say or no?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

You going to say or no?

I don't know who it is. I'm asking :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You going to say or no?

I don't know who it is. I'm asking :wink:

I know. The tweet has now been deleted. What was ironic is that the same person was using Pantani as motivation for training a few days earlier! :roll:
  • Ok you know, ok to let us know too?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:

But he said what we wanted to hear therefore it must be true! :lol:

Personally I think the kimmage interview rings true to me but I get your point.

Of course it may well be true as we might find out in due course but this Floyd is now credible line that runs through this forum is quite ridiculous given how he was viewed 4 or 5 years ago.
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    CN picks up on the "convenient doper" angle:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/opi ... ect-pariah

I

That's a good article. People need to remember the sympathy they felt for Landis when they finished reading the Kimmage article last week.

I was speaking for anyone who has a) read the Kimmage piece in its entirety and b) has a shred of compassion.

andyp has already pointed out that the second part of your reply doesn't make any sense.

Having read the article i dont feel much sympathy towards him at all and i don't really see why you should either. As for your next point its been answered in an earlier post and it does make sense as i explained in that post.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Speaking exclusively to Cyclingnews before today's fourth stage of the Tour of Qatar, HTC-Highroad’s Rolf Aldag describes his anger and lack of surprise, and need for teams to act together to make it clear that doping is unacceptable.

As long as that action doesn't involve the dismissal of team directors or sprint coaches with a previous history of doping, obviously.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    LangerDan wrote:
    Speaking exclusively to Cyclingnews before today's fourth stage of the Tour of Qatar, HTC-Highroad’s Rolf Aldag describes his anger and lack of surprise, and need for teams to act together to make it clear that doping is unacceptable.

As long as that action doesn't involve the dismissal of team directors or sprint coaches with a previous history of doping, obviously.

I see Cav made a typically measured and sympathetic comment too, in the same video. :shock:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

I see Cav made a typically measured and sympathetic comment too, in the same video. :shock:

Link! Or it didn't happen.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    RichN95 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

Link! Or it didn't happen.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-c ... oping-news

Let me know what he said, can't listen at work...
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-c ... oping-news

Right at the end.

' I hope he becomes somebodys bitch in prison'
  • ****** = female dog
  • iainf72
    Brakeless wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-cavendish-aldag-and-kelly-react-to-ricco-doping-news

Right at the end.

' I hope he becomes somebodys ***** in prison'

What a charmer.

If I was being cheeky, I might say "what, like your ...." :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Of course it may well be true as we might find out in due course but this Floyd is now credible line that runs through this forum is quite ridiculous given how he was viewed 4 or 5 years ago.

Here's how it works, Gubster.

Lying = no credibility.

Telling the truth = credibility.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-cavendish-aldag-and-kelly-react-to-ricco-doping-news

Right at the end.

' I hope he becomes somebodys ***** in prison'

What a charmer.

If I was being cheeky, I might say "what, like your ...." :wink:

He's got cashflow to protect...!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    edited February 2011
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Regular murderers act in isolation. Dopers don't.

A better analogy would be the mafia. The police arrest a hitman. They catch him red handed, in the act, and he admits to murder. Do the police just leave it there? They can put him away for life without any trouble, but do they not also want information on who he was working for, where he got his weapons from, what other jobs he did, who the other hitmen are, what crooked politicians are offering protection? Floyd Landis is basically Henry Hill right now.

It's not a perfect analogy, obviously, but my point was that Landis (and Ricco) are small cogs in a much bigger system. To use another tortured analogy, they aren't bad apples... it's the whole frickin' orchard that's bad.
  • [sigh/]Maybe Omerta wasn't such a bad thing after all :roll: [sigh/]

Edit: comment about the sounding-off that's going on. Not afx's mafia post above :wink:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Cav has always been very loud towards Ricco to be fair. Hardly ground breaking stuff from Cav is it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The person to blame is whoever bought him this for Christmas:

44372_550_blood-bath-shower-gel.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    It seems the blood tests at the hospital have confirmed he took a transfusion.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    It seems the blood tests at the hospital have confirmed he took a transfusion.

Indeed.
    Google translation:
    MODENA - Examination of Riccardo Riccò's blood showed that the Italian cyclist indeed handedly has taken a blood transfusion. The results confirm that the reading of the rider Vacansoleil are poorly preserved blood administered.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7385/Ricco-blood-transfusion-reportedly-confirmed-by-test.aspx
    Four days after he was admitted for emergency treatment in hospital, it has reportedly been confirmed that controversial Italian rider Riccardo Riccò did indeed receive an illegal blood transfusion.
  • rick_chasey
    Out of the cyclnig context, it's an upsetting story.

It's tough to see where he goes from here.

I can't help but feel his irritating, agressive, outspoken, arrogant persona is a front for someone who clearly has more serious underlying issues.

The mob/herd mentality which we're all part of (including me!), especially the peloton, doesn't help.

It's easy to pick on someone who is like that, but it's not particularly helpful.
  • The thing which gets me is: how did they tell he blood doped?

Up to now I was under the impression that they could only detect blood doping if from another person.

If they can test in a hospital they can test in cycling. So there shouldn't be any confusion over people being accused of blood doping, especially if they have had blood tests in the period in question, as there is a way to tell.
    Contador is the Greatest